Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Post-op Today & Feeling Discouraged!!!

Hello BandLand!!! First I wanna say I hope everyone is doing great and I am glad we have this forum because everyone has the opportunity to inspire someone else throughout there journey. I am getting a lil discouraged though... Today makes 1month post-op for me and I am only down 20lbs... For the 2wks the scale is just not moving. I am staying around 1000-1400 calories but on most days I am at 1200cals. I am starting to feel very hungry again. I will be getting my first fill this Friday the 18th. Currently i have no Fluid in my 14cc band. I just wanna know how has everyone's journey been? Any regrets? Anyone doing any vigorous exercise right away? Also for those out there who understand carbs... I need help!!! On a daily basis, I am trying to stay at 1200cals, 60-80g Protein, & under 100g carbs... I just dont understand how people say they stay under 30g of carbs when there are carbs in just about everything we eat including high protein foods also. If I eat yogurt for Breakfast, thats 20g carbs just from my a.m. snack... Can someone please explain carbs to me? I have been avoiding Pasta & rice and minimal bread but I do have a bagel thin or english muffin once or twice a week. Any help or advice would be great!!! Thanks Everyone... Below are some additional questions. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks... HDC

1. (Women only question) What do you do for cravings and appetite when it's that time of the month? Does your weight fluctuate during this time as well?

2. Because there are carbs in almost everything we eat, how do you determine what is a good amount of carbs per day? My fitnesspal says 249g is a go number.

3. What kind of exercise do you all do and how much and for how long?

4. Any ideas on things I can do as a truck-driver that works nights? I will be going back to work in a couple weeks and snacking is how I use to make it on the road. I need ideas or even some healthy snack choices to get me through my nights at work driving down that lonely highway.

5. Are sunflower seeds bad?

6. So far I have been eating 1200 calories of less per day, along with 80g of protein and trying to keep my carbs under 100g. Is this ok??? I'm really unsure… Just still so confused and need some words of wisdom on certain things.

Bandsters please share any advise or tips to help me through my journey. I appreciate all comments and I accept all the supportand encouragement I can get. Thanks a lot lbt…

20 lbs in one month is great. if it makes you feel better, i am 6 months out and have lost 45 lbs. i did not lose a lb for the past few weeks, not sure what was going on there. everyone is different and will lose at their own pace. i eat Pasta, rice and whole wheat bread. pasta actually has 7 grams of Protein per serving, so to me, that is not a bad choice. it is what you put with that pasta that can make it bad :)

i walk during the week, also i do alot of walking at my job, on my feet all night. i have been slacking on my cardio/weight lifting, need to get back to doing that.

those Kraft cheese cubes are a great snack and good Proteins too. i eat some nuts, just chew them up well, i love almonds, just watch the sodium.

for that time of the month, i want to eat everything in sight and i bloat. so for the day before and first day of my period, i drink 2 Protein Shakes and then stick with warm liquids. keeps the Fluid going on out :) so i don't bloat as much and my band does not get all tight on me.

i hope this helps and don't fret over losing only 20 lbs, i think that is great.

Thanks a lot... I guess I'm not fretting over 20lbs per-say... It's the no pounds in the last couple weeks that are getting to me but I will keep pushing forward. Nice job on your weight loss. Great outlook at the Pasta thing. I wanna be at 50lbs myself by 6months post-op because i am going on my first cruise. So to be out of the 300's will be a great accomplishment. Thanks again. Good luck on your journey as well!!!

20 lbs in one month is great. if it makes you feel better, i am 6 months out and have lost 45 lbs. i did not lose a lb for the past few weeks, not sure what was going on there. everyone is different and will lose at their own pace. i eat pasta, rice and whole wheat bread. pasta actually has 7 grams of Protein per serving, so to me, that is not a bad choice. it is what you put with that pasta that can make it bad :)

i walk during the week, also i do alot of walking at my job, on my feet all night. i have been slacking on my cardio/weight lifting, need to get back to doing that.

those Kraft cheese cubes are a great snack and good Proteins too. i eat some nuts, just chew them up well, i love almonds, just watch the sodium.

for that time of the month, i want to eat everything in sight and i bloat. so for the day before and first day of my period, i drink 2 Protein Shakes and then stick with warm liquids. keeps the Fluid going on out :) so i don't bloat as much and my band does not get all tight on me.

i hope this helps and don't fret over losing only 20 lbs, i think that is great.

Tomorrow will be 1 month since I was banded too. I didn't lose any weight until recently after my first fill. I actually gained some weight after surgery which is okay and normal. My doctor says no other exercises except walking right now. Especially crunches and stuff like that. After your fist fill you will see a difference. I still can eat almost everything but choose not too. I have to start getting more exercise incorporated. Dont get too discouraged we are only at the beginning of the journey to a SMALLER & HEALTHIER US!! I have looked at a lot of labels to and it is hard to figure out. Its something we all need more education about.

It doesnt sound like u are eating too much of anything although i tend not to eat more than around 50 carbs a day as this does affect sugar levels and i was very insulin resistant. What sort of yoghurt are you eating that contains 20 carbs, the ones i eat have 6-8 carbs :)

I understand how difficult it is for you to be driving and at night, snacking keeps you awake and also helps the boredom, i would suggest maybe some sugar free sweets, carb free Snacks which are low in calories and some raw veggies and fruit etc( when u can eat them ), take plenty of Water with you and maybe even a flask with some skimmed milk coffee ( if you are ok to drink it ), maybe even a low calorie Soup or a premade protien shake ( low carb/calorie) with you if you stop somewhere. If you eat from the roadside places temptation will always be with you and if you are hungry and smell cooking u will need more will power.

I use an exercise bike which obviously isnt really practicable for you while driving i burn around 800 calories a day and my intake is around 1000. I also use dumbells and resistance bands which u can easily take with you and if u stop do some strength training, driving is a very sedate life and u need to move as much as you can. Put on your fave radio station and sing, i know u may think this sounds silly but singing along increases your general fitness with breathing etc :)

Any carbs you do eat should be the 'good' carbs and give u other nutrients with a high fibre content, this then counteracts the amount of natural carbs in the food, stuff like white bread has empty carbs and if you want to lose weight, for me anyways, it just doesnt work.

The longer you have your band the more you will get to know what works for you and what doesnt, i really hope you find the information you need and continue on your journey to losing the weight you need to :)

Hello BandLand!!! First I wanna say I hope everyone is doing great and I am glad we have this forum because everyone has the opportunity to inspire someone else throughout there journey. I am getting a lil discouraged though... Today makes 1month post-op for me and I am only down 20lbs... For the 2wks the scale is just not moving. I am staying around 1000-1400 calories but on most days I am at 1200cals. I am starting to feel very hungry again. I will be getting my first fill this Friday the 18th. Currently i have no Fluid in my 14cc band. I just wanna know how has everyone's journey been? Any regrets? Anyone doing any vigorous exercise right away? Also for those out there who understand carbs... I need help!!! On a daily basis, I am trying to stay at 1200cals, 60-80g Protein, & under 100g carbs... I just dont understand how people say they stay under 30g of carbs when there are carbs in just about everything we eat including high Protein foods also. If I eat yogurt for breakfast, thats 20g carbs just from my a.m. snack... Can someone please explain carbs to me? I have been avoiding Pasta & rice and minimal bread but I do have a bagel thin or english muffin once or twice a week. Any help or advice would be great!!! Thanks Everyone... Below are some additional questions. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks... HDC

1. (Women only question) What do you do for cravings and appetite when it's that time of the month? Does your weight fluctuate during this time as well?

2. Because there are carbs in almost everything we eat, how do you determine what is a good amount of carbs per day? My fitnesspal says 249g is a go number.

4. Any ideas on things I can do as a truck-driver that works nights? I will be going back to work in a couple weeks and snacking is how I use to make it on the road. I need ideas or even some healthy snack choices to get me through my nights at work driving down that lonely highway.

6. So far I have been eating 1200 calories of less per day, along with 80g of protein and trying to keep my carbs under 100g. Is this ok??? I'm really unsure… Just still so confused and need some words of wisdom on certain things.

Bandsters please share any advise or tips to help me through my journey. I appreciate all comments and I accept all the supportand encouragement I can get. Thanks a lot lbt…

I was feeling down too! I went for my first fill today. I only lost 14 pounds since my surgery but the nurse at my doctor's told me I was doing fine. she said that you want to take it off gradually if you do not want loose skin. but I knew I wasn't gone lose much until my first fill. the day after surgery my doctor took out Fluid because I couldn't even hold down a sip of Water. so by 6 weeks I knew it was gone be empty or very little fluid. so I can say I lost 4 of my pounds from will power which was very hard. If I want to b4 I got the fill I can eat a whole cow if I wanted too.

Thanks ladies!!! As for singing along, I do that alot. I dont go anywhere without my ipod... biggrin.gif... I just use to snack on chips & pop but i have let all that go but i will definitely try some of these options u guys have suggested. I was eating the yoplait light fat free yogurt. I have tried a couple greek yogurts & they taste just awful to me!!! I know I have a long ways to go and alot to learn but thanking everyone for your support throughout my journey!!!

Hey there HDQT!! I'm also 1 month post-op and my hunger is back in full force. I went into the surgery on 10/10 at 280. As of Friday, I'm at 272. I try not to focus on the numbers too much. I focus on how I feel. I eat when I'm hungry and only enough to satisfy. My calories have been around 1200-1400. At the beginning, my cals were around 900-1000 and I didn't loose anything. I think I was in starvation mode. I upped my calories and incorporated some more high-Protein Snacks and started loosing again.

I think the carbs you are eating is fine. After all, low carb diets aren't good long-term. I still eat Pasta and potatoes, but I stay away from white bread and rice. I choose the 100% whole wheat bread if I want a sandwich or something. As for the Pasta, if you make it yourself and add your own sauces and spices, it's not bad. I also go by myfitnesspal numbers and it has worked for me. Since April (when I started my journey), I have lost 54 pounds using MFP as a guide.

My husband is a truck driver and it's also difficult for him to snack healthy and exercise. He also works nights. My suggestion would be some Atkins Protein Bars, Pure Protein Bars, peanuts, almonds, cheese cubes, and Peanut Butter. These are my go-to foods when I'm really hungry, but it's not a meal time.

You are doing great and hopefully, after a fill, you will see a difference. My first fill is scheduled for next Monday. Good luck.

Thanks girlie!!! I really appreciate it!!! Definitely going to look into some of those Snacks... I had set my own goals on mfp but a few of my friends and fellow bandsters told me not to set my own numbers and follow what the recommend and on days when i am below the calories recommended, look at that as an accomplishment. And yes I can not wait til fill day this friday!!! Good luck on your journey. I hope u dont mind me adding u as a friend...

Hey there HDQT!! I'm also 1 month post-op and my hunger is back in full force. I went into the surgery on 10/10 at 280. As of Friday, I'm at 272. I try not to focus on the numbers too much. I focus on how I feel. I eat when I'm hungry and only enough to satisfy. My calories have been around 1200-1400. At the beginning, my cals were around 900-1000 and I didn't loose anything. I think I was in starvation mode. I upped my calories and incorporated some more high-Protein Snacks and started loosing again.

I think the carbs you are eating is fine. After all, low carb diets aren't good long-term. I still eat Pasta and potatoes, but I stay away from white bread and rice. I choose the 100% whole wheat bread if I want a sandwich or something. As for the Pasta, if you make it yourself and add your own sauces and spices, it's not bad. I also go by myfitnesspal numbers and it has worked for me. Since April (when I started my journey), I have lost 54 pounds using MFP as a guide.

My husband is a truck driver and it's also difficult for him to snack healthy and exercise. He also works nights. My suggestion would be some Atkins Protein bars, Pure Protein bars, peanuts, almonds, cheese cubes, and Peanut Butter. These are my go-to foods when I'm really hungry, but it's not a meal time.

You are doing great and hopefully, after a fill, you will see a difference. My first fill is scheduled for next Monday. Good luck.

Sounds like you are getting some good advice on here - i would just add - please do not get your hopes too high for the first fill. I have had 4 fills (7.5 cc total) in a 14 cc band and i'm still not restricted. I am only just now feeling "something" in there. But i know i'm not in the green zone and i can still (but usually don't) eat too much food. I'm hopeful that my 5th fill on Dec. 6 does the trick. All of this is to say - i hope this is not the case for you - but you may find that you do not feel "different" at only the first fill (or for a few fills after). This is bandster hell and it is the worst time for a bandster - heeled up - can eat anything - and not to the green zone yet. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!:)

It has been 2 months for me and I can not get to Onederland. I'm stuck at 200 and I've lost 19 pounds. :( I have not been exercising as I should be but tonight my regimen is starting back at the gym. I just finished my masters degree so now I can concentrate on me. My calorie intake is about 1200 a day and sometimes more sometimes less. I have lost many inches and can see that in my clothing but I would like to see it on the scale..:( Good Luck and we wil reach the promise land soon!

do not feel discouraged i was banded 10/31 2 weeks ago i lost 8 pounds so far now on mushie food, i have hope ,do some exercises everyday, i was talking to another person who got banded 6 months ago , she had 8 fills and now is feeling restriction and only started losing steady 2 months ago, and another one 6 months ago had 2 fills and lost 85 pounds so its just the individual and anyway you want to loose slowly ,that is better less skin and healthier, you come all this way u can do it ,be patient ,just my little 2 cents

Wow...I have been waiting for my first fill because I thought I was feeling hungry! My Nutritonist has me on 3oz of Protein and 2oz of veggies/fruit at each meal only. I am also at about 800 calories and 50 oz. of Water per day. I am losing between 1-2.5 pounds per week. I am also walking about 1-1.5 miles about 5-7 days per week. Hope something in this post helps.

ONLY 20lb in a month? Sheesh, that is phenomenal weight loss, how much did you expect to lose?

Since chemo, I no longer have the joy of a monthly cycle (I'm just psycho all the time now, lol) when I did, I just went with it. Seriously, it was one or two days out of a month for me, the cravings were BAD and I just indulged. I'd rather work harder on other days than sit there white knuckling it through cravings that just wont quit.

I dont count carbs, never did. Hasnt stopped me losing weight.

I run a couple of times a week for about an hour (10kms or so) and other days I got to the gym and do a spin class and a body pump class. I take a day or maybe two days off every week.

Willpower. That's all I can think of.

They're great for you! Full of Iron in particular.

6. So far I have been eating 1200 calories of less per day, along with 80g of Protein and trying to keep my carbs under 100g. Is this ok??? I'm really unsure… Just still so confused and need some words of wisdom on certain things.

Sounds great to me.

Consistency. Dont get all frantic about plateaus or that the next person exercises nore than you. Just keep at it. Measure your results over a month, not a week. Keep pushing yourself with your exercise, dont just do easy slow cardio.

HDQT, I was banded on Oct 4, 2011 and for 3 weeks the scale didn't move but I could tell in my clothes I was losing inches. I started to question the people I watched on YouTube over the years, that were banded and every week, they were saying they were down 3 - 4 lbs. After my 5th week, the scale moved 4 pounds, in one week. I had my 2nd surgeon follow up last Tues and because I was down 10 pounds since the surgery and have no issues with hunger, (in between my 3x a day meals), so he said I didn't need a fill. We will take it month by month.

Here is the shocker, I weighed 214 this Tuesday morning and on Saturday, I was down to 208!! The surgeon told me the first month our bodies are healing and don't worry about the scale, it proved to be true. I've been doing the treadmill and/or the Walk Away the Pounds 3 - times a week, I alternate between those two exercise routines, and I keep my caloric intake to 1200 or less, and include at least 20 grams of Protein and my Water. So far I can eat any types foods, I haven't had a stuck episode, this band is like some type of Miracle Worker I just love it!! Just be patient, it will start coming off. I'm soooo excited I'm 8 lbs away from Onederland!!! Stay encouraged!!!