Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nice to hear from the newly post op. Me too. Had a banded plication 9/19 and woke up this am starving half to death. Luckily time to go to full liquids which seemed to stick a lttle better. I wish I could burp. No problems with gas the other way. I have been trying to move alot in order to prevent gas problems. That was my biggest fear. Best of luck to all!

I had banded plication too on 22nd (yesterday). Burping is an issue for me too! I have had 3 episodes where I get horribly nauseated then dry heave... Only to have a big belch come out and nothing else. I am taking gas ex like crazy too. I am worried about dehydration cause I know I'm not taking in enough.... Pain is tolerable. Worse when i get up or down. I am excited i just had a popsicle and no nausea afterwards! I havent had shoulder pain either. I get a tinge here and there but not enough to mention... Nothing like with my gall bladder. Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Hi Everyone! I'm Jason and I'd like to join the group.

Here's the twist. I was banded in December 2009. Issue is that it was completely devoid of any saline and was never filled until 2 days ago. The surgeon believed waiting 6 months before the first fill and in that time I lost my job and also my insurance.

I'm thankful that I found a new job last summer and I love it, but it's a small company and the insurance covers NOTHING regarding the lap bands, not fills, not the doctor's visit, not even the cup of Water they give you when you walk out the door.

So, I'm finally filled. I have the "big" lap band (14cc's I think) and he put 5.5 cc's in there under a fluroscope. He said with that, I should feel very uncomfortable if I continue to eat like I've been.

2 nights before I went to a Sushi buffet and closed the place down. I've had ZERO restriction and could eat unlimited amounts of anything. Right now I'm on yogurt and pudding and tomorrow I can start with blended stuff. (or just scrambled eggs since there's NO WAY I'm blending food)

Sad thing is that the day of surgery I weiged 290. The post op, mostly liquid and no carb diet brought me down to 251 at my lowest in March 2010.

As of 2 days ago I was 319. That's a gain of 68 pounds since surgery. Needless to say, I'm ashamed. I've been able to save up over the last year and have found a new surgon who will take credit cards so I'm paying for follow up myself. This is motivator #2 or 3 for me.

So for all intents and purposes, it's like I was just banded but worse because I don't remember the protocol very well. I found a new surgeon. I finally have Fluid in my band, and I'm scared to death of what lies ahead. The new sugeon's support groups start up again in 3 weeks so this site is all I've got.

Please adopt me. :)

...and.... if anyone can tell me if oatmeal and or cream of wheat is a "heavy liquid" or a "mushie", that would be awesome.

If anyone has any threads that are favorites, please let me know those too.

I have to succeed. I'm 36 years old, fat, diabetic. have apnea and a 3 year old daughter I want to be around for.

Help....please.

Thanks

Jason

Sorry for all your struggles! We all know all drs. are different but my dr said I can have thinned out cream of wheat. I was banded on the 12th and am on the full liquid diet. Once I get to the pureed food I can have it regular consistency. Good luck!

I'm scheduled for surgery in two days, Sept 26th. I have been on the pre-op diet for 11 days and have dropped 21lbs as of this morning. I often get dizzy and am starving. Does it get any easier after the banding? I've been on Protein shakes and Jello pudding, with a little broth mixed in for flavor. No cheating at all.

I was banded on the 12th and am on the full liquids. I think things are easier diet wise because there are more options on the full liquid than on the pre-op diet. I feel like there is a light at the end of the starvation tunnel, lol. I was hungry the whole time I was on the pre-op diet. I didn't cheat on the pre-op and I haven't on the full liquids but I can't wait to go to my post-op appt and am hoping they move me on to the pureed food stage :). Good luck!

@Jason: I'll adopt you! Keep your chin up-- you're doing great. Expect to see a message from me tomorrow. :)

Hi guys,

I was banded on 9/19 also. I am wondering about this shoulder pain. I have it and thought I hurt it getting up. I have gas and didn't know I could take gas x. I will have to get some of that. I am in a bit of pain but stopped meds today because they weren't doing much and I thought I could deal. I am wondering now. I am going to take them at bedtime! Glad to be here. I need the support of others going through the same thing!

Nice to meet everyone. Jason, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Have you considered asking your first surgeon for a partial refund? Not living is one thing but gaining is something very different.

Not sure how everyone maintained that liquid only. For ne it was impossible.

Hi guys,

I was banded on 9/19 also. I am wondering about this shoulder pain. I have it and thought I hurt it getting up. I have gas and didn't know I could take gas x. I will have to get some of that. I am in a bit of pain but stopped meds today because they weren't doing much and I thought I could deal. I am wondering now. I am going to take them at bedtime! Glad to be here. I need the support of others going through the same thing!

Get the GasX strips, they dissolve on your tongue. My stomach was so gurgly after that they helped with that too. Take you meds if you need them! Rest is good for you :)

I was banded on the 19th as well. I haven't had a crying breakdown, although I could see that as a very normal thing. Mine was more of a realization that life is going to be different from this point out and it was kind of a depressing thought mixed with an encouraging thought of yeah it's different but just think how much healthier you'll be. Anywoo, best of luck to you! ;)

I got banded on the 19th. The only pain I have is around the area of the port. And like yours, my pain comes around when I make a sudden or fast move. I am not hungry, but I know I have to take in liquids. I'm still really light-headed, but with this having been my first medical procedure, I kind of expected that it would take me a while to recover.

I had my first "what-have-I-done" breakdown last night. I was just sitting on the sofa with my hubby and I started crying uncontrollably. It's wasn't at anything in particular. I guess the reality of everything hit me at that moment. I know it won't be my last breakdown and I just have to work through it.

Anyone else have a breakdown this early after surgery?

@Jason- man that stinks but I think you will find a great group here. I am in a group for Sept 11 banders and we share lots of info. Feel free to read our post. We talk a lot about the diet, restrictions etc. Feel free to join in!

Hi all, I was banded on Sept. 16. So far so good. I am a week out and I feel so much better. I still get some gas in my chest sometimes, but I drink prume juice on a regular. It helps a lot. Just started the full liquid diet. Lots of Soups, Protein Shakes, pudding, Jello, and Water. Had some moments of sadness, but was over it quickly. So far down 10 pounds post surgery. Anyways, look forward to getting to know everyone.

I was banded on 9/21 and I've already lost 5 lbs in 4 days! I'm not hungry. I'm having trouble taking in all of the Water and Protein they want me to have. Still sore, but every day is a little better than the one before. I only had one pain med yesterday. Took a short walk in the neighborhood. I'm so glad I planned on taking a week off from work. I would be pushing things to go back tomorrow. How is everyone else doing?

Sounds like your doing good! I'm on day 6 post-op and doing well. My endurance is better and I take my pain meds now just 2x day (morning and early evening) and I can see that reducing soon. It's really hard for me to judge my tummy-sometimes I feel very hungry and every food sounds good and other times I feel challenged to drink a Protein shake. lol. I am really looking forward to adding more foods (hopefully) after I see me doctor tomorrow. Never thought pudding and oatmeal sounded soooo good lol. Take care!

I was banded on 9/21 and I've already lost 5 lbs in 4 days! I'm not hungry. I'm having trouble taking in all of the Water and Protein they want me to have. Still sore, but every day is a little better than the one before. I only had one pain med yesterday. Took a short walk in the neighborhood. I'm so glad I planned on taking a week off from work. I would be pushing things to go back tomorrow. How is everyone else doing?

So far so good, I am back at work now. I am only experencing some pain where the largest incision is. It is a little hard to get in all of the liquids. I found that if I get up early I can get in more liquids.

Hey Guys,

We are now 1 week post op ... my diet consists of Soups, jell-o and liquid Protein ... approx. 1000 cals per day ... but today I am feeling hungry ... I don't know how I am gonna stay on liquids for another 2 weeks. I am wondering how you guys are doing... any words of wisdom .. do you guys have a secret to control your appetite? Thanks for all your feed back

Hello and congratulations on you success. I was banded on 9-16. I am not staying hungry but I try to stay low carb this helps with hunger I drink Powerade zero little flavor but no sugar so it helps with calories. I do know that crystal light has a drink called hunger satisfaction that really helped me before surgery. Taste pretty good too. I found it in the local grocery store with the other sugarless drink mix. I hope this will help you and you can continue to be encouraged.