Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this rollercoaster of emotions normal?

I am scheduled to get banded on Thursday. Went and did my preop testing on Friday. I wasn't really nervous before, but now I am. Yesterday the nerves were driving me crazy. My thoughts were racing....am I making the right decision? What if something happens to me? Have I really given my prior diet efforts 100%? Am I ready for this change and commitment? Everything. Every thought possible entered me head over the weekend. But today I am back to excited. I woke up feeling refreshed. I woke up wanting this day, and the next 3 days to rush by so I can be banded already. I weighed myself this morning...another pound gone. Got dressed, my pants are barely staying on me. Another 5-8 pounds and these pants will no longer fit....at all. Pants that I have worn for 6 years. Pants that at some times were snug. Is this rollercoaster of emotions normal? I can not be like I was this weekend on banding day....my heart rate and blood pressure would probably be sky high. lol. Ugh....sometimes I drive myself crazy! Please tell me I am not the only one like this.

J

Getting banded 9/22

I am scheduled to get banded on Thursday. Went and did my preop testing on Friday. I wasn't really nervous before, but now I am. Yesterday the nerves were driving me crazy. My thoughts were racing....am I making the right decision? What if something happens to me? Have I really given my prior diet efforts 100%? Am I ready for this change and commitment? Everything. Every thought possible entered me head over the weekend. But today I am back to excited. I woke up feeling refreshed. I woke up wanting this day, and the next 3 days to rush by so I can be banded already. I weighed myself this morning...another pound gone. Got dressed, my pants are barely staying on me. Another 5-8 pounds and these pants will no longer fit....at all. Pants that I have worn for 6 years. Pants that at some times were snug. Is this rollercoaster of emotions normal? I can not be like I was this weekend on banding day....my heart rate and blood pressure would probably be sky high. lol. Ugh....sometimes I drive myself crazy! Please tell me I am not the only one like this.

J

Getting banded 9/22

Everything you're feeling is perfectly normal. We always tend to fear, or at least be apprehensive, of the unknown. You did all of your homework and made the decision that was right for you. Relax. You'll be fine! Before you know it, you'll be saying good bye to those pants (and all of his friends) and on your way to a much happier and healthier life...and a much better wardrobe!

I agree that the way you are feeling is quite normal. I was excited, nervous, anxious all rolled into one. Then the day of surgery and it was surreal. Here I was at the hospital getting my IV and being asked questions and then the next thing I knew it was done. Wow, it was fast and over and here I am on my way to a newer, healther, slimmer me. Just take a deep breath, think about all the wonderful new clothes and experiences you are going to have and get ready for the ride of your life. You will do fine, you've done your research, so go for it. Good luck....

I can't add really to what others have said - just breathe deep and keep busy. Before you know it, you'll be on the other side wondering why it took you so long to get this done. And you too, will be encouraging the next nervous person wondering if they are normal! :lol:

My surgery was Feb 23, 2011, and I thought I was going to pull out my hair before the date actually got here. You will still have to work to get it off but it is so worth it. I'm sure your surgery will be just fine. Like one of the other poster's said, my surgery began and was over before I knew it. Took about 45 minutes and the healing goes pretty quick. Good luck to ya. I still fill this was the best decision I've ever made. I'm down 58 lbs now and can cross my legs.

I started my journey 10 months before surgery. I was ready for the physical changes, the attention, the shopping, even the surgery to a certain extent. BUT the emotions...holy cow!! Was not prepared for that. I was actually told to get into counseling before surgery because of my relationship with food. I was in it for three months before I had surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I cried, laughed, screamed and any other emotion you could think of. I hated myself. Once I realized that I was strong enough to handle these changes and I would be a better person at the end, I was full force!! I haven't stopped counseling just to keep me in line but for the first time in years I feel like my future is worth living because I am worth it!!! Take the emotions as they come, sit with yourself and just breathe. Take it in and remember how you feel during all of this because it will change you forever. Good luck!!

J

Getting banded 9/22

You are not the only one that feels this way. I also have been on an emotional roller coaster. I have been waiting almost a week for my Dr. to call me with my scheduled date for the surgery. The waiting is torture. It gives me way to much time to question my decision. I was having some serious doubts about having the lap banding. My in laws have been trying to talk me into having the gastric bypass. I had to tell them it is my body, and I will choose which operation I will have. Godd luck tomorrow. I know you will do fine. I will be praying for you.

You are almost there!!! I'm scheduled for September 29th. My emotions are all over the place.

Keep your eyes on the prize....YOU!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Jackie

Oh Boy do I know how you feel I had EVERY single emotion you stated plus the AM I GOING TO BE STARVING after this??? Unfortunetly every single one of those emotions came over me while I was literally minuets away from being put out to have the surgery!!!!! I was in the surgical holding suite flipped out and screamed out "Ummmm I don't think I want to do this" that was the morning of Sept 12th. The nurse came over and said ok!!! WTH they didn't give me anything to knock me out more nothing!!!! They gave me 0.25 of xanax....I take 0.5 of xanax everyday 3 times a day sometimes. It was awful....if I could go back in time I would and have told them to give me something stronger to relax me, but I didn't and they didn't. I was wheeled back to my room and walked out 20mins later :( Needless to say I have a re-couseltation with the Dr. on Oct. 7th and a LIST of questions for him that I never asked in the first place. I can only pray that I can still have the surgery and I won't have to go through EVERYTHING all over again, So with all that said...ur emotional rollarcoaster is completely normal and it will probably get worse if you have to do Clear Liquids for 3 days prior...that was bad!!!! But you are going to do great and before you know it, it will be over, If ur nervous and anxious speak up and tell them you need more meds lol...I wish I did!!!! Good luck to you, keep us posted :)

I was very scared about anesthiasa. I talked to my dr. pre op and he said he couldnt give me anything to calm my nerves because i was already on so many pain meds. Surgery day finally got here and i was sitting in pro ep with my family the anasthesia dr came in and gave me a little cocktail. then immediatelly rolled me back for surgery by the time we got to or i was asleep. They put me under while i was asleep(i didnt even get to do the count down) lol. oh well. everything went fine and the next thing i new i was in recovery. It was great but i didnt get to do the countdown that i was looking forward to. I had never been put under and i wanted to experience it.

The Emotions that you feel, that are all over the place. They are so NORMAL, you can't even imagine.

From Hormonal to physical changes, Psychological... It is a mess.

But yes It is very Normal.

Hope your enjoying that Band. Those are more emotions.....

Take Care, and Welcome to the Other side.

Shirley.

I finally got my surgery date. It's Oct. 12th. I go for my pre-op testing Sept 28th. I have a lot of questions for the anesthesiologist. I am nervous, but also excited at the same time. Thanks to everyone, I know this is perfectly normal.

My journey started in June and now My surgery date is 10/14. I am very nerovuse and have a lot of emotions. Things I never htought of before. I amprettysure it is the fear of the unkown as another poster posted. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who iis feeling this way. My duaghter is having the band on 9/28 and she is fine. She says it is not a big deal. LOL She did not have the 2 week pre-op liquid diet either. I love all the sharing here and it is nice to know that I am not alone in Bandster land.:D