Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proactive Band Removal?

Right on DeLarla... I'm trying to walk in your shoes, and that's why I asked the question. I appreciate you chiming in here and giving your thoughts. I do think you have a very valid point, especially for those who are not yet banded, as when we're getting ready for the band, we're in a MUCH different place than after the band is in, and so on.

Best wishes to all. :D

Even when my band was new, I'd wake up every morning feeling it squeezing me. Restriction is an odd sensation that constantly had me questioning whether what I had done was a smart idea. I figured there's no way something can squish my belly and stay healthy for too long. However, I'm one of those really queasy people that can't look at blood or wounds. I fainted once getting a few stitches in my hand and almost passed out when Dr. Billy made me look at my port wound. I've TRIED being mature about it, but it's an automatic response. When I had my band, I'd occasionally freak out and look for the closest place to have it ripped out, but those feelings always passed (till I eroded, then I almost took it out myself!)

The difference between a band that squeezes an organ can't compare to metal rods or pins used in orthopedic surgery. I can appreciate defending the band (it saved my life, afterall) but I'm glad my band was just a temporary device.

Restriction for me does not feel the same as DeLarla describes above. It if was, I'd probably be on the side of getting the band out pro-actively. Having an impending feeling of 'not rightness' probably isn't healthy in the long run.

But, as I don't feel that way now, I would have to say that I would not go get my band removed in order to avoid something that may or may not happen. I don't feel my band unless I am eating (although my port often makes itself known).

ALTHOUGH, I'm a little over 18 months out, and I've been told that there is a band doctor in my area that is about to open up to MX patients, and as soon as he/she does, I'll be bangin' on the door for an endo to check things out. If he doesn't open up soon, I'll drive a little farther and have someone else do it. Dr. Billy is like 4 hours away from me, lol.

Mari, that's an interesting response. What DOES restriction feel like to all you banded people? I totally felt mine squeezing. Then again, the four Mexican surgeons I know fill patients aggressively to the max (as much as you can tolerate) in one shot, while many of my US banded friends tell me their doctors ususally sneak up on restriction. Even though I only had two fills, both left me tight enough to feel a constant squeeze, like my belly was being pinched.

*Editied for clarification.

Even though I only had two fills, both left me tight enough to feel a constant squeeze, like my belly was being pinched.

I am never aware of a squeezing feeling. Not even when I'm lying on the table under the fluoroscope machine and the doctor temporarily has filled me up to the point of being completely closed. He does that so we'll know what being completely obstructed feels like, but it's only evident (to me) when I take a drink and it goes nowhere. Maybe there's a very vague sort of pressure deep inside me, but it's nothing at all like being pinched.

Very interesting! Where do other people fall on this spectrum?

I have never felt as if it were squeezing, and my surgeon also does fills by going complely full, then backing out, watching the flow on the screen.

And sorry DeLarla, but to me both things are tools I use to make things in my life easier...but, that's just me.. You have the right to feel different.

Seems to me, folks, that those of us with complications have a totally different perspective than those of us that don't.

Nurse Theresa -- I'm sorry you suffer from reflux even before having the band. As someone who had never experienced reflux at all pre-band to now having an experience where the "reflux" gushes out of my nose in the middle of the night or it causes coughing to the point of vomiting... I don't find it funny at all. Again, different perspectives for those of us experiencing complications vs. those that don't.

Nearly all of us that have had complications have been pretty clear about no regrets. When it worked, it was great and the idea of losing the device -- willinging or not -- seemed crazy. But when our bodies revolted, you can't get the band out fast enough.

Elizabeth

How does the band "feel"? I don't feel it at all... I don't feel it squeezing, pushing, pulling, or any pinching. I'm sorry for those who do, because that sounds horrible and painful. :couch2: Even at a fill, like Alex, I don't really feel much of anything, just a shift for a moment, and then it's all good. The only time I know I have the band is if something goes in wrong, and it lets me know... That's how it feels for me, and if there is a change, I will certainly get on top of it (like you said Lisa, you knew you had eroded).

angie :clap:

Lisa,

I don't feel my band at all if I'm not eating or drinking something. When I eat, I almost always have a tightness in my chest, if I'm stuck, it does feel like it's squeezing my stomach. If I don't PB after getting stuck, there's nothing really like the feeling of relief I get when stuff starts moving again.

My fills were done in MX also. I think they do the best they can to get you as full as they can so you don't have to come down as often, but I ended up too tight that way and got an unfill.

Delarla said above : "Then again, Mexican surgeons fill you all the way to the max (as much as you can tolerate.) "

This is not true at all. Please do not make such broad and inaccurate statements. My MX surgeon always teaches on his own forum that fills should be as small as possible and just enough to give good restriction.

I'm really sorry you lost your band, but your experience was extremely unusual and should not make you bad-mouth all the excellent MX surgeons. Thousands and thousands of us are doing just great and having no problems at all. I don't feel my band at all and forget I even have it most of the time.

Renee

I had mine removed Jan 24th due to erosion. Most of the time I never even knew I had the band. I could eat just about anything..except bread and chicken, and I got to where bread wasn't a problem. I guess that's cuz the band was eroding at that time. Anyway, I don't regret having it taken out. I don't miss it one bit and I won't have it done again. Like DeLarla said, don't condemn those of us who have had it removed and would remove it even without the erosion. My daughter has the band too and she has lost a whopping 20 lbs. in 2 years. Don't say it's not cuz she hasn't had fills. She has. She is at 7cc and the dr. says she's tight but....she can eat just as much as ever. The band has not worked for her. PERIOD! No, it isn't eroding nor has it slipped (that we know of at this pt.) but we are having it removed during Spring Break next month. Yes, you might say we are one of those that are saying "let's take it out before it happens" people. I DO NOT WANT her to go through the erosion ordeal. Mine was bad. It wasn't detected early because I had no symptoms other than a port infection. The port was removed with the anticipation of having it put in again in a few months then after 2 abscesses it was determined my band had eroded BAD. My daughter is 17 and I don't want that to happen to her. She has been really sick for the past 2 days. Her back is in a lot of pain and she throws up foam. Not food...just foam. No, it isn't a PB...it's vomiting foam..I guess from the pain being so severe in her back. After conversing with 2 band doctors they think maybe her band has slipped. What if it has? What if it hasn't? I'm self pay and I can't afford to run to the dr. every time I "THINK" something is wrong with the band. So...to hell with it....It's coming out BEFORE something does happen. Some of you may think I'm nuts...and that's okay. I'm doing what is best for us. She never has been happy with it (her wt. loss sucks) and now I can't worry about it all the time. I'll go nuts. Yes, another surgery is dangerous, but not as dangerous as if it erodes and then she has more to deal with than just removing the band. Then she'll have to deal with a hole in her stomach that has to be stitched up and never the same. The band is great for some people but once you've had problems like DeLarla and myself and a few others on here...you are leary of it...until it happens to you, you just don't understand the frustration and worry of it all.

I can only speak for myself.

Personally I've had no problems physically with my band. I did go through a depressed period when I figured out I could no longer be an emotional eater with the band. After losing 70lbs in 6 months I have made other things a priority other than food.

Being as I haven't had any problems, no at the moment I would not consider having my band removed as a preventative measure. I do want to be tested at 18 months for erosion just as a precaution.

IF for some reason I did lose my band I would definately have some other form of WLS, I refuse to be 300lbs again.

Renee, my experience is far from unusual considering the growing list of recent Mexican erosions. I lost count after 10 people I personally know had their bands recently removed due to erosion. There has been more than enough apprehension here around LBT lately, so please check facts before making inaccurate accusations.

If you quoted me correctly, that’s an obvious mistake on my part since I never meant to claim I know “all” the Mexican band surgeons, so I’ll edit that statement immediately. I can, however, share that four most popular surgeons in Tijuana, who do in fact [normally] give very aggressive fills since most patients aren’t able to travel back and forth to another country. The “sneak up” approach simply isn’t feasible or affordable to many patients.

Meanwhile, I have never bad-mouthed ALL Mexican surgeons. I speak adamantly and openly about my aversion to Mexico as a surgical option after all I've learned and been through in the past couple years, and I've posted on various threads how I believe these same Mexican surgeons would be at the top of their game if they practiced in the United States under controlled guidelines.

Renee, please follow your own advice of "Please do not make such broad and inaccurate statements." You’re only speaking on behalf of your surgeon, while I’m speaking on behalf of quite a few that have personally seen and/or treated me.

You’re only speaking on behalf of your surgeon, while I’m speaking on behalf of quite a few that have personally seen and/or treated me.

DeLarla, neither you nor Renee are speaking "on behalf of" any Mexican surgeons. I think it's important to correct that misstatement. You're talking ABOUT Mexican surgeons.

Forgive me, but I'm not just being the grammar police here. The two are totally different things, and I don't want anyone getting the impression that you are speaking for the surgeons (which is what "on behalf of" means).

Yes, you might say we are one of those that are saying "let's take it out before it happens" people. I DO NOT WANT her to go through the erosion ordeal. Mine was bad. It wasn't detected early because I had no symptoms other than a port infection. The port was removed with the anticipation of having it put in again in a few months then after 2 abscesses it was determined my band had eroded BAD. My daughter is 17 and I don't want that to happen to her. She has been really sick for the past 2 days. Her back is in a lot of pain and she throws up foam. Not food...just foam. No, it isn't a PB...it's vomiting foam..I guess from the pain being so severe in her back. After conversing with 2 band doctors they think maybe her band has slipped. What if it has? What if it hasn't? ... The band is great for some people but once you've had problems like DeLarla and myself and a few others on here...you are leary of it...until it happens to you, you just don't understand the frustration and worry of it all.

Topsy, I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience! It's certainly understandable that you and your daughter would be leery of keeping the band when you yourself had such problems.

I've read this thread over and just don't see where ANYONE is saying there's anything wrong with taking the band out if it's causing problems. Your daughter may not have been diagnosed with slippage or erosion, but pain in the back and vomiting foam sure sound like problems to me. And of course your erosion is very close and naturally raises the level of concern for both of you.

We are all on the same page, as far as I can see. No problems? Keep the band. Problems? It seems like everyone understands that removal is a possible outcome. Perfectly reasonable on every level.