Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proactive Band Removal?

Hi

My band has beens squeezing the living daylights out of me from day one..that doesnt mean I have restriction though.Its just I can feel the band around my stomach and late afternoon the restriction is physical to the point that I have to remove my bra because nothing can touch me in the area just below my breasts.With that I get a pain in my back directly behind where I can feel my band.With that I have had hearburn and reflux from day one.I can almost always feel the band,sometimes painful sometimes just squeezing.....never had the endo yet so dont know if its eroding....its just been that way since day one.

I will not remove the band if the endo doesnt show erosion.Still want to lose some weight and I am now use to having pain and discomfort all the time...one can learn to live with anything over a longer peroid of time....I need to lose another 30kg.

Am going for a fill tomorrow.........

"Forgive me, but I'm not just being the grammar police here. The two are totally different things, and I don't want anyone getting the impression that you are speaking for the surgeons (which is what "on behalf of" means)."

I object. If that's not being the grammar police... Alex, time to go to grammartalk.com! It's like people talking about "their theory" when actual theories are limited. Why not run a grammar check on the entire thread? Notwithstanding but in light of and subject to said objection, I have re-edited my statement.

OK, definitely the grammar police, yep, but what I meant was I'm not doing it for giggles. (I'd be pretty busy if that's what I wanted to do.) But in this case it so totally changed the meaning of what you were saying that I thought it was important to correct. Thanks!

Lisa,

Your editing is driving me batty! :) Seriously... grammar or no grammar, keep it real sister! :( hehe..

angie

topsy57 -- i'm sorry you're having such horrible problems... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with your daughter. Hang in there!

angie

This thread is one of the reasons that I have not visited this site as much as I did in the past - it seems that there are some very bitter people here.

As to the question - would I remove my band to be proactive? I personally would not. With a 1% chance of erosion (and even as more people are banded, its not the percent to goes up just the total number of people ex. 1% of 30 is 3 - 1% of 300 is 30 - more people same percent) When you consider that 4 out of 5 people will be in a major car accident (that is 80%) should you proactively stop leaving your house? Of course not! I know that it is hard to stay level headed when people that you feel close to start having major problems like this - to all that have eroded my heart does go out to you - but it is not time for everyone to panic yet. I don’t blame those who have had problem for being angry, upset, sad, etc....I would feel the same way if I had been in pain and then ultimately lost the tool that had given me hope.

I wish there were rules - do this, don’t do that - and you won' t erode but that it not the case - we don't know exactly why it happen to those it does so there is really no way to prepare or prevent it. For those that are PBing often or who can feel the band I would see your doctor - that doesn't sound right to me. The only time I have ever felt the band itself is when the doctor filled me to 4ccs during my second fill to see if the band returned the same amount of Fluid (my first fill disappeared). Although I felt pressure I did not feel pain, even at that I could not imagine my band feeling like that all the time.

I thank those that have eroded for staying and providing advise for those that are still banded, I also hope that which ever road you chose now (re banding, alternate surgery or au natural) that you have great success and no more complications down the road. To date I have not experienced any problems with my band - I don't know what the future holds - I hope that I will live happily ever after with my band, but if I don’t, I would not tell anyone "don't get it done". If I end up part of that 1% then my best wishes for success will go with the 99% who do fine.

Peace,

i don't want to sound like an ass, but 1% of 300 is not 30... that would be 10%, and that would indeed, be something to have at least a pause for concern.