Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proactive Band Removal?

I think if something happen to my band to need removing I would even consider rebanding after healing if that is possible. That would change of course maybe if he ordeal leading up to a band removal was very hard. And a big step for me, if I couldn't have another band I might consider a different wls option. I have all kinds of emotional demons regarding more envasive options in WLS...but I think I want to be a healtier weight more.

My answer would be yes, I have and am considering it. I would only remove the band preventatively if I am able to secure another weight loss surgery though. I am currently and actively looking into other forms of surgery. I want to be prepared. I would not consider rebanding if something happened to my band.

I'm waiting to have my band put in, and you are talking about having it removed for no good reason!! OK, I've heard everything there is to hear in bandland now.

Unless there was some unforseen medical necessity, why in the hell would I have the thing removed that has saved my life? The poll on this site where the question is asked "are you happy with your band, etc.?" as I recall, indicated something like 88% of the people were happy with it.

This is the best thing I have ever known. It isn't a magic bullet, but it does make permanent weight loss possible, with a lot of work, as far as my admittedly limited experience shows. I just hope I can keep this miraculous device with me for the rest of my life. If that turns out not to be the case, I will be indeed sorrowful to lose such a wonderful and powerful friend.

To those who have been unfortunate enough to have to remove their band due to erosion, my feelings go out to you. What a terrible fate, in particular, after the pain you had to go through to begin this path. But nonetheless, the vast majority of everyone on this site, and others who I am aware of, along with the published reports indicate overall safety and efficacy.

I'm sticking with it!

LOL Had to laugh at the side effect of the band as REFLUX>>>>>>>>I have it very bad and don't even have my band yet. Can't ever imagine that it could be any worse then what it is now somedays!

When I decided to get the lap band, I knew of the possible risks. The risks are scarey, but everything good in life comes with risk. We can't live our lives based on fear. We should guide our lives with hope. If our bands erode, we will have to face that challenge and do the best we can to take care of ourselves. Will I remove my band just on the chance that there will be a problem? Never.

((sigh)) I just don't know what I am doing these days. I am just so damn nervous and scared. I know I need to breathe and just be happy my band is healthy and happy. I just don't want to have a surgery to have it removed (rescar, more pain) then heal, then have something else (rescar and more pain). I guess I am just looking at preventative to save myself a surgery. I know the statistics are low, but every time I turn around it seems like one of my LBT friends is eroding. And that scares the hell out of me. Where would I get the money for that? How will I take the time off work?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I need to just not read any erosion threads I think because I am going wacky over it.

My mantra for today: I have a healthy tool and I shall appreciate that tool and treat the tool correctly so that I may maximize my weight loss and achieve my personal goals.

I'm glad we are having a healthy discussion about this, because I think it's something that has (as of recently at least) crossed people's minds. I know I'm not planning to EVER have my band removed unless it's absolutely imperative, but I do understand why some might feel that way, and even go on to consider it and do it. Again, I'm not in that boat, but I do understand. Happy that we are able to discuss this question and be real, as with the many possible outcomes we might face, this is one of themThanks for listenin' and talkin'!angie :)

Jenna,

Hang in there! I know how you feel... I'm here if you need to vent. :)

angie

I don't get it. Why would you get rid of something that has helped you loose so much weight? Being afraid of what MIGHT happen is like being afraid to cross the street because a car might hit you. I'm not banded yet, but I intend to work my band hard because life is so uncertain . But I will not let my fears control me so much that I forget how great a gift the band can be for those of us who had no hope before it.

((sigh)) I just don't know what I am doing these days. I am just so damn nervous and scared. I know I need to breathe and just be happy my band is healthy and happy. I just don't want to have a surgery to have it removed (rescar, more pain) then heal, then have something else (rescar and more pain). I guess I am just looking at preventative to save myself a surgery. I know the statistics are low, but every time I turn around it seems like one of my LBT friends is eroding. And that scares the hell out of me. Where would I get the money for that? How will I take the time off work?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I need to just not read any erosion threads I think because I am going wacky over it.

My mantra for today: I have a healthy tool and I shall appreciate that tool and treat the tool correctly so that I may maximize my weight loss and achieve my personal goals.

I know I know I know.... but damn it, I am an overeater AND neurotic. Who'd uv thunk? I am working on the fear thing though. Slowly and surely. I reallyyyyyyy need to stop reading erosion threads though to help me.

Jenna, I went thru the fear thing too. Damn near panicked about it for days. But when faced with this question I knew it was time to set aside my fears and get smart.

You say you fear erosion. Something that (according to the stats in the states) is a rare thing. Long term problems from this rare thing are even more rare! But you would be willing to face "other types" of WLS surgery? Sweetie, you have already undergone the safest surgery there is. You have the safest, most logical weight loss tool there is already installed and working perfectly inside you. Please don't have it out just because something might go wrong.

I see others on this board who are awaiting test results which could change their lives in very serious ways. Would we advise them to go ahead and end it all now -just in case- they get bad news? Heavens no.

I think the wave of nerves about erosion is calming now. Take a nice long deep breath. Put some quiet thought into this whole thing. *smiles* Erosion usually means some discomfort and band removal. From what I've seen, the worst side effect of the erosion is losing the band itself. Be happy you have yours.

*big hugs*

I look at my band as my best friend. My best friend is staying w/ me. If I treat him good he is going to be good to me. So no it's not coming out if I can help it. I am down just over 71 pounds in 7 months and I think it's been the best thing for me. I guess not having insurance problems has also made it easy. If on the off chance it had to taken out I would ask for it again after I healed if it was ok. I love it....I wish I had the will power to do it alone but I don't so I need my best friend w/ me at all times.

Why is it so easy for some of you who've never been through port infections, slippage, severe reflux, complications, leaks, etc., to judge those of us who have? Maybe you aren't directing comments at one person, but some of these responses are filled with unnecessary sarcasm.

If you don't even have a band, how do you know how you'll feel living with a foreign device strangling your belly? It's not always an easy feeling to live with. So until you walk in our shoes, you might consider that it's not stupid or crazy or weird to consider proactively removing the band. Try my shoes on. I'd have had my band removed before my erosion was detected if I could have afforded it.

You can't rely only on one itty bitty poll from here at LBT since we're just a tiny fraction of the banded community. I know three people other than myself that wanted "the damn thing out of them." Take a look from the other side of the fence, and never say never.

The are so many surgeons placing the band that it's very likely erosions and complications will become more prevalent as time goes by. It's just a hypothetical, but how would you feel if 10 people banded from the same surgeon were all detected with erosion about the same time? I'll tell you how it feels ~ it feels like you have a time bomb ticking inside you.

I can't speak for anyone else about the way they feel about their band, only myself. I have had my band for 6 months, and have never felt it was a foreign device.. it is a tool I accepted into my body after giving it a lot of thought. Just like the metal rods they hammered into the bones of my legs, to hold the metal knees together, they are also tools I use every day, so I can walk. There are risk we take in life every day, that is what makes it real....JMO here.......