Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regret their decision to get banded?

Hi All,

Please help!

I'm 9 days post-op and totally freaking out today. I can't stomach the liquids anymore. I'm constantly hungry and sad and thinking about food all the time because I can't eat...

I'm feeling like I made a mistake and I can't live like this, constantly feeling deprived. I don't know what do, and feel like I just lost total control over my body and life.

Anyone else experience these types of feelings and regret over the decision? I know part of it is the stage I'm in, but now I'm feeling like I'd rather work harder and work out more to loose weight on my own than feel this lack of control and depression.

Any thoughts?

Jo

You are at the very beggining of your journey. Your feelings are totally normal. It is expected that you are hungry, once the initial swelling from surgery goes down. It will take a few fills to get restriction. Hang in there and do your best to follow drs. orders. It will get better!

I haven't felt that way but I have read where lots of people have. I had dr appts from January to May when I had surgery so I had a lot of time to prepare my mind. Good luck and hang in there.

Hi All,

Please help!

I'm 9 days post-op and totally freaking out today. I can't stomach the liquids anymore. I'm constantly hungry and sad and thinking about food all the time because I can't eat...

I'm feeling like I made a mistake and I can't live like this, constantly feeling deprived. I don't know what do, and feel like I just lost total control over my body and life.

Anyone else experience these types of feelings and regret over the decision? I know part of it is the stage I'm in, but now I'm feeling like I'd rather work harder and work out more to loose weight on my own than feel this lack of control and depression.

Any thoughts?

Jo

I am 4 days post op. I am tolerating the liquids, but have added some Soup in there as well.. the plain broth just isnt doing it for me. I dont feel hungry at all, i guess that is helping. How long does your Dr. want you on just liquids? Maybe you can ask if u can add some mushies in there as well, might help you feel better. hang in there!

Hang in there-things will get better!!! This is just the "sucky" stage. If you could have lost it on your own you would have by now-and chances of gaining it back would have been high.

Just keep thinking about all the good things about losing weight. Think about your health and how great it will feel to look in the mirror and like what you see! Keep positive thoughts going.

I found that making a Protein milkshake helped so much during those early weeks. You can get carnation instant Breakfast packets (add a scoop of Protein if you wantto boost it up) or simply use your favorite protein mix. I used GNC's total lean pre-made shake choc. Put it in the blender with a half of a banana (or other fruit), a bunch of ice cubes, pour into a fancy tall glass, put a dollop of cool whip and a drizzle of SF choc. Syrup on top (cheery optional). This will fill up 2 tall glasses and tastes absolutely yummy!

Try some different recipes- make a crockpot full of Soup so you can have it on hand when needed.

You CAN do this-I think the first 4-6 weeks are the hardest.

Keep busy!!

Good luck to you!

i am 4 weeks post op and i have had those feelings too. I had a friend who had this surgery in May and she warned me about this stage it will get better. i am trying to keep busy in other things than food so i dont think about it as much. I am at soft foods stage and the head hungry and feeling like i am missing out is slowing leaving But i feel real hungry setting in so that worries me

NO WAY!

I do not regret my choice, I love how I feel and look. I have lost 85 lbs in a year and a half..only have 15 till my initial goal (which is what I weighed in HS) so if I dont hit it..its not that big of a deal..I also just found out that I am pregnant..if I didnt have the surgery I wouldnt be where I am now. I am so excited, and as another fine lady said your still early in your journey trust me the first two weeks of mine were horrible, I couldnt keep anything down ..the Dr prescribed me Nexium and then I was fine..The weight loss didnt start "showing" till after my first couple fills wich was about 6 months in...Even though I had been loosing slowly before then I just didnt see or feel it. Then I started swimming in my clothes and I just smiled..it will get better..just do what your supposed to..eat and drink how your supposed to and of course you have to make the effort by working out..the band is just a tool..but it will be fine..Keep your chin up! Dont rush it

Thanks for the posts everyone! I'm obviously going through a rough patch and any support and stories from you are very helpful.

Jo

I think right around 10 days after surgery was the worst part for me. I was hungry, and I was healing, but I was in a HORRIBLE mood and was depressed and mad at the world. Please be kind to yourself, it WILL get better! I second that you should call your doctor and ask if you can be moved to the next food stage early, but DO NOT do it on your own. When you get through all of this you will be so proud of yourself for being able to follow the post-op diet.

(BTW I still think your particular diet is too strict. I think you need more Protein.)

The first month is the hardest I promise you......be patient.... It gets easier and after a few months it will be like 2nd nature.

To answer your question....For the past 10 months I have spent every day with my band and not once have I regretted it.

You're definite at a sucky part of your journey, but congrats on being banded. I don't regret my banding one bit.

It's all in your mind set. You did this for yourself & for a good reason keep that in your mind.

You will feel awesome as soon as u get onto mushys!! That will come soon. Stay strong

Hey girl, here is a little insight as to how I felt the first two weeks after surgery:

I came home from the hospital and day one wasn't so bad. My belly was swollen and didn't hurt at all. The gas pains were so bad that I would just lye there and cry while my mom rubbed my back. I walked, walked and walked. Day two through five was better. Heartburn was there constantly and swelling was still there but i slept well and some of the gas pains went away. I went back to work on day 6...from there until day 10 I was in hell. I hurt from head to toe, my chest felt like I was having a heart attack and my stomach growled all day everyday!!! I was scared I made the wrong decision as well and wanted the band OUT! I decided that if I was going to live with this I needed to make it work. Even though I hadn't been back to the doctor yet, I figured no one knows my body the way that I do, so I started eating mashed potoatos and Soup WITH noodles. I needed consistancy to fill me up and Protein shakes were not staying down infact they made the heartburn worse. That was when life started to get easier...I went to the doc at 2 weeks post op and he said it was okay to do that early because I did a small bite, waited 5 min and felt okay so I just eased my way into it. I am not 6 weeks post op and have lost a total of 31 lbs. I feel AMAZING!!! I do not regret a day of the pain, hunger, hearthburn or money spent!!! I feel like I have been reborn and this is who I am supposed to be! Good luck on your journey and I hope you feel the way I do once you get past the first two-three weeks!!

What you're experiencing is just temporary, and most of us went through it too. Soon enough you'll be able to eat again, just hopefully not as much as you're used to. It's honestly the best thing I've ever done for myself, if you're willing to put the effort into it, you'll feel the same way.

Like everyone else has said, you are at the worst part of the surgery!! I LOVE my band and do not regret my decision to be banded one bit! I've been banded for 2 months (July 1) and I've lost 43lbs!!!!! Just wait until you are eating again, don't worry it will be soon, LOL and you can actually control yourself!! It in ampowering!!!!