Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Congrats, that is so great! Like you, I have found ways to be creative, and I have really been enjoying the things I made. Organic bean Soups have been great. Dr. Quilici also allows yogurts in the liquid pre-OP diet, so for example, organic black bean Soup with some extra mexican spices and a dollop of non-fat plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) makes a great, healthy, dinner with a large dose of Protein. I also got a hand mixer, and love blending juices with ice and 1/3 c. of that same yogurt for a smoothie. Add some unflavored Protein Powder for some additional "staying power" to the smoothie (I've found that the more protein in the meal, the longer I stay full). It has really been working great, and I am enjoying it. Post-OP, I have bags of frozen organic fruits and berries that I will also blend in (when I am allowed more than juice).

Anyway, I am on the last leg of my pre-OP diet (surgery is Thursday, and I make the switch to Clear Liquids on Tuesday), and I wanted to share some of the tricks that made the last week and a half fly by for me.

Good luck everyone!

This is really good information. My pre op diet starts on the 15th Sept (2 weeks before surgery) but I don't meet the dietician until the 10th so I am still clueless as to what is 'allowed' during this period. I was sort of hopeful I'd be allowed home-made vegetable soups minus the carb filled potatoes etc but maybe not? never been a big lover of the shake type drinks but might have to bite the bullet if that's waht I'm told! I like the idea of spicing these shakes up with fresh fruit etc so any hints from anyone as the best way to 'breeze' through the nightmare fortnight more than welcome. Gary

Why did you have to give up diet pepsi on the liquid diet?

I just mixed crystal light lemonade in an unflavored shake. It's way better than the "sweet" flavors.

Why did you have to give up diet pepsi on the liquid diet?

I had to give up all carbonated beverages and all caffeinated drinks. If I could only have a diet pepsi I'm sure I would be so much happier.

started my pre-op diet on aug 19 and my getting my lap band with plication in sept 2. I am nevous and excited at the same time.

started my pre-op diet on aug 19 and my getting my lap band with plication in sept 2. I am nevous and excited at the same time.

Hi Nancy,

I'm getting the Lap-Band with plication, too. My surgery is Sept. 29th. You'll have to tell me all about your experience with the surgery, etc. I'm so ready to get this done. Good luck to you on Friday. I'll be thinking about you.

Peg

Hi fellow September bandsters! I am super excited to do all my pre-op stuff tomorrow and surgery on the 12th, 2 weeks! I am however getting annoyed at so many people that are so negative about the band... I was at the dentist and one of my molars is cracked from grinding my teeth but I told him I can't wear my night guard because of the CPAP mask I have to wear. I didn't know I had 'mild' apnea before all this testing and he was trying to sell me on the zone diet and almost begging me not to do the lap-band. Then he compared it to someone he knew that died from gastric bypass. Um, hello, not exactly the same thing but I can't really argue when my mouth is wide open for my exam, lol. My mother-in-law has been saying it is such a bad decision because, again, her sister had really bad problems after bypass! She is even telling my sis-in-law what a bad mistake I am making. Her opinion doesn't matter to me one way or the other but it is just irratating especially when you haven't done the research and don't really know what you are talking about. Have you guys run into any of those negative nellies?

Hi everyone. My surgery is scheduled for September 15. I cant wait! I had my EGD done last Thursday and the doctor found hiatal hernia. That's good news to me. My insurance will cover the hernia repair and save $4400.

Hi fellow September bandsters! I am super excited to do all my pre-op stuff tomorrow and surgery on the 12th, 2 weeks! I am however getting annoyed at so many people that are so negative about the band... I was at the dentist and one of my molars is cracked from grinding my teeth but I told him I can't wear my night guard because of the CPAP mask I have to wear. I didn't know I had 'mild' apnea before all this testing and he was trying to sell me on the zone diet and almost begging me not to do the lap-band. Then he compared it to someone he knew that died from gastric bypass. Um, hello, not exactly the same thing but I can't really argue when my mouth is wide open for my exam, lol. My mother-in-law has been saying it is such a bad decision because, again, her sister had really bad problems after bypass! She is even telling my sis-in-law what a bad mistake I am making. Her opinion doesn't matter to me one way or the other but it is just irratating especially when you haven't done the research and don't really know what you are talking about. Have you guys run into any of those negative nellies?

I'm so sorry you've got so many people that don't support your decision, and glad you can come here for support instead of giving up. My pcp was a bit of a downer when I first talked to him about it, and one of my coworkers was a bit nasty about it, but all in all I've found most people to be very encouraging and helpful. My pcp told me a story of a woman who was banded and went out and ate 12 whoppers and died when they got stuck. Hello - it wasn't the band that caused the problem, it was a dozen hamburgers! I just went to my pcp for surgical clearance, and lost 18 lbs since 8/2. I was so excited I didn't care what he said. To my surprise, he totally turned his attitude around, and even said he thought I would make this work now that he sees how committed I am. So, don't let it get to you if people try to bring you down. They're probably afraid you will make it work. Just think of how great you'll feel when you start looking amazing and are healthy. I can tell you that you won't have to ever say a word when you prove them wrong. This is your life and your decision. You're the only one that needs to approve of your decision!

I'm so sorry you've got so many people that don't support your decision, and glad you can come here for support instead of giving up. My pcp was a bit of a downer when I first talked to him about it, and one of my coworkers was a bit nasty about it, but all in all I've found most people to be very encouraging and helpful. My pcp told me a story of a woman who was banded and went out and ate 12 whoppers and died when they got stuck. Hello - it wasn't the band that caused the problem, it was a dozen hamburgers! I just went to my pcp for surgical clearance, and lost 18 lbs since 8/2. I was so excited I didn't care what he said. To my surprise, he totally turned his attitude around, and even said he thought I would make this work now that he sees how committed I am. So, don't let it get to you if people try to bring you down. They're probably afraid you will make it work. Just think of how great you'll feel when you start looking amazing and are healthy. I can tell you that you won't have to ever say a word when you prove them wrong. This is your life and your decision. You're the only one that needs to approve of your decision!

Thanks for the support! For the most part a have a lot of support. My mom was a little skeptical but came to a support group meeting with me and felt a lot better. My mother in law is the type of person that won't be happy just because I will be successful and she keeps on the dieting roller coaster. She doesn't get happy for anyone so I am not worried about it. Just annoying how people don't know anything about and say it is such a bad idea. I am confident in my decision and will make it work. Thanks again! :)

Hello yall! I am so very excited! I have been waiting to hear from my insurance company since May and I finaly got an approval letter Saturday in the mail after a grueling appeal. So happy they overturned the original decision of denial. This is something i have been wanting for so long and i just cant believe its going to happen! Pre op on Sept 8th and surgery Sept 20th!!!! Start pre op diet Sept 6th......here we go ;)

I started my pre op diet last Tuesday (23rd), have my pre op appointment on the 2nd and surgery on the 6th. Super excited!!! I want to have made a big weight difference by the time my husband gets home from his deployment in Iraq.

I've started my pre op diet 8/26 and surgery is scheduled for 9/9. I am very hungry and am trying my best to stay positive. It is hard to just not eat and have only shakes!

I'm in the same boat with you! Day 4 is today on liquids and man were those first few days ROUGH!

I hope you're doing well, I'm having surgery the 8th so we are only a day apart!

Hellloooo my fellow Sept peeps!!! I hope everyone is doing well on their journey....I'm thankful we all have each other! biggrin.gif

You're not alone! My mother and daughter are insistent that I'm making the biggest mistake of my life. I think it's because they don't understand it fully. I even took literature to my mom, but her mind is made up. My daughter is large, too, and I think she's just a bit jealous. We had an aunt who died from gastric bypass, and I believe they both think about that. I have tried to show them that this is so much safer. BUT, I do have a lot of people behind me, too! So, I'm not letting it get to me. I'm doing this for me--mainly for health reasons. So, let's all just stay positive. We know what we're doing, and it's going to be the best thing we've all done for ourselves! Yay, Lap-Band!!!!!