Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so my PA says to me that I need to start watching my carbs. And, honestly, the only way I'm going to get myself under control is if I start living off of Lean Cusine or Smart One meals....I just know me.

What are too many carbs? I'm looking for meals that are above 15 grams of Protein so I can have a yogurt or something to get my 20 grams in per meal like she suggested, but my carbs with these meals are about 30-50 grams.....isn't that too high? If I have one for lunch and one for dinner lets just say I have to higher carb ones and I'm up to 100 grams of carbs? That is just for those two meals and doesn't include the yogurt or extra stuff to make up the protein amount I need/required to have.

I feel like I'm just going to back to my old roller coaster diets at which point I lived on WW and SO meals, here I am again.

Anyhow, enough whining, just do it.....what are the suggested grams of carbs that you have? I'm NOT a bread eater but I do like my Pasta and potatoes...guess that is my problem

Thanks everyone.

Staci

I love carbs too! I know each PA is different from the next, but mine recommended that I eat lean cuisine. Yes, they do have carbs in it, but make sure you choose selections with little carbs such as beef tips and veggies and some mashed potatoes. Just don't choose the lasagnas or high carb ones. You know what I mean.

Don't deprive yourself of it if that's your weakness because you'll end up indulging in it, but

also watch what you eat and how much of it. I'm sure you already know this.

Look up HUNGRY GIRL recipes. She has healthy food and she does have a good selection of carb related foods. I wouldn't recommend her portions though. they're huge!

My NUT said carbs beget carbs. In other words, eating carbs is a vicious cycle. You eat them, your body responds by processing the carbs, and then you want more carbs. I am trying not to eat carbs except when necessary. And then, I pair those carbs with high Protein foods (mashed potatoes with ham) that help the meal be better for me and stave off the craving for more carbs. I'm not successful all the time but I'm trying.

I don't eat prepared meals, too much salt and other crap. Plus they cost more. I control carbs by eating a serving of meat and veg at each meal. I cook on Saturday for the whole week. Usually bake my meat and the pack it in the freezer in containers so I don't have to deal with it each day. It works great, I get all my Protein in, no need for Snacks either.

One of my biggest problems is eating too much pasta! That's one of the main reasons I got surgery lol. I know that Pasta is my weak point, so I don't have that everyday anymore. I will eat it now only 1-2 times a week. I don't even pay attention to carbs in other foods, especially yogurt or anything like that. I consider those GOOD carbs. But the breads, Pasta, potatoes and the thicker carbs are the ones that you need to cut down on. And when you do have your pastas, you can only eat as much as your band will let you! So that is still cutting back on them. Pick 1 meal a day that has the "bad" carbs, and the rest of the day eat meats, veggies, yogurt, etc. Cutting them out completely never worked for me, and it doesn't for most people either! You can still have your pasta and potatoes, just not in excess!

-Colleen

I highly recommend "Dream Fields Pasta" for a carb fix. It tastes wonderful and is 5 net carbs per serving. They have a website and is easily found in most grocery stores. My family loves it!

Melonie

I don't like prepared meals either. I find they are too high in sodium and I can make things that taste much better.

I'm like Sistersue, I cook large meals when time allows and then portion out servings for me and freeze. Right now in my freezer I have bandster portions of chicken, beef, turkey, pork.. all I have to do is pull them out and add a veggie and I'm ready to go. It does take a little planning ahead, but once you get going, it's not that difficult.

If your PA told you to limit carbs, they should give you more detailed information on what they want you to try to achieve or else set you up an appt with the Nutritionist to help you. JMO

Your carbs you should be eating is fruit and vegetables not bread, Pasta or rice. It doesnt take but a couple hours on the weekend to prepare enough food for the week and freeze it. I hate those prepackaged meals they do not taste good at all. I would rather make my food on the weekend and put it in the freezer then add some fruit to my lunch and off I go. Why waste money on prepackaged foods when you can make food at home for less. Besides if in the beginning or a few months after you are still not giving up those carbs your weight loss will be at a snails pace. When you are carb free for a long time and eat them you realize how tired you really feel afterwards.

One of my biggest problems is eating too much pasta! That's one of the main reasons I got surgery lol. I know that Pasta is my weak point, so I don't have that everyday anymore. I will eat it now only 1-2 times a week. I don't even pay attention to carbs in other foods, especially yogurt or anything like that. I consider those GOOD carbs. But the breads, Pasta, potatoes and the thicker carbs are the ones that you need to cut down on. And when you do have your pastas, you can only eat as much as your band will let you! So that is still cutting back on them. Pick 1 meal a day that has the "bad" carbs, and the rest of the day eat meats, veggies, yogurt, etc. Cutting them out completely never worked for me, and it doesn't for most people either! You can still have your pasta and potatoes, just not in excess!

-Colleen

When you say that "you can only eat as much as your band will let you!" - - - that is part of my issue too....my band is not helping in that area at all....I could eat a pre-bander portion, but I ..not my band..force myself to stop with my measured portion (hence I am then again hungry in 2 hours). THis is where part of my frustration comes in and then my PA tells me that there is no such thing as a Sweet Spot...the band doesn't do that. *Grrrr*

Why did she suggest watching your carbs? Are you not losing weight and therefore she's saying the carbs are causing that? I mean if you're overindulging in carb-rich foods, sure, cut down on them so that you're taking in less calories...but if you're within your calorie limit I don't see the point. I did low carb for 7-8 months and destroyed my metabolism/thyroid. Never again! I enjoy my 200g+ carbs a day.

I guess if you're stuck on going low carb, look into South Beach and/or Atkins but there's no real answer to your question. Get your Protein in, your fats in, and whatever calories you have left you can fill them in with more Protein, fats, or carbs..

Why did she suggest watching your carbs? Are you not losing weight and therefore she's saying the carbs are causing that? I mean if you're overindulging in carb-rich foods, sure, cut down on them so that you're taking in less calories...but if you're within your calorie limit I don't see the point. I did low carb for 7-8 months and destroyed my metabolism/thyroid. Never again! I enjoy my 200g+ carbs a day.

I guess if you're stuck on going low carb, look into South Beach and/or Atkins but there's no real answer to your question. Get your Protein in, your fats in, and whatever calories you have left you can fill them in with more Protein, fats, or carbs..

Yes, she told me that carbs are my issue and they are too high. I gained a pound in 6 weeks. I am finding it very difficult to stay under 1,100 calories because I'm stomach hungry. I was concentrating so hard on calories and protein that I apparently didn't pay attention to carbs...again the "diet" we are on now. I wasn't what I considering over indulging in foods, not excessive potatoes, Pasta etc. My measured portion but she gave me major heck for eating a small, red skinned potato w/my chicken. I used spray butter and greek plain yogurt instead of sour cream and butter, but apparently my changes are not significant enough? I try to explain to her that even if I ate eggs, chicken and tuna, I could eat all that as a prebandster portion and I'd still be hungry in 2 or 3 hours. I'm not staying full/satisfied (I try not to get stuffed full but just 'done"). ANyhow, I'm rambling again, but she says carbs are my problem, yes, so I'm working on that but not sure how. Frustrated that I'm on a diet I could have done without surgery because I'm not getting any assistance from my band. Oh, well, keep trying that is all I can do..hopefully working on the carb issue will help.

My surgeon is a big fan of "no/low carb" eating. Patients are to stay below 30 grams of non-vegetable carbs per day. I find that when I follow this rule, I am not as hungry and lose weight at a more steady pace. It has worked wonders for me. I eat eggs, tuna, chicken, any kind of meat really, salads, any thing that is high Protein and low carb. My protein intake is consistently above 80 grams a day. You should try this for atleast a week. I promise that you will be fuller for longer and lose weight. But give it a few days. :)

I keep my carbs between 60-85g/day, Protein 90-115g/day, fats between 20-55g/day. If I go above 85g of carbs/day or don't keep at least a 30g of protein more than carb intake ratio/day...my body will not lose the weight. I think it is an idividual thing. I no longer eat breads, potatoes, Pasta. I have shirtake noodles when I get to craving pasta and that so far takes care of my pasta cravings. The noodles are chewy, but it does not bother me.

Good luck!

This morning I read an article on the "new" Paleo Diet, I realized it the diet I already eat. Grass fed meats, veggies and fruits, high on berries especially and nuts, little to no grains or dairy. The person who wrote the article even had a Protein Shake for Breakfast made with berries like I do. She did say it was okay to eat a serving of grains a week as a treat. I didnt know I was so trendy.

Just watch where your carbs come from. Carbs are in most everything besides meats. Fruits and veggies have the good carbs. I have had only a slight fill, and find that I am eating even better than I had originally thought. I use MyFitnessPal, and this is a great tool for me! I am making sure I get my Protein, eating fruits and veggies, IGNORING the calorie counter (it tells me daily "you are eating too little") MFP alots 182 carbs for a 1350 calorie per day diet. I typically eat about 100 a day, that are majority fruits/veggies. I did eat 1/4 grilled ham and cheese sandwich (treat for me)... once in a while the "bad" carbs are ok, but stick with the carbs that your body needs.

If this helps, an example of a meal would be 4 oz of grilled pork chop, 1tbs fat free ranch, and 1/2 c "mashed taters" (its Actually steamed broccoli and cauliflower blended with cream cheese-very good!). If I am still hungry after this, I will go back, cut up, weight (I do this to add in more time-hoping that I will realize that I am not really hungry) another ounce or 2 of pork chop and maybe another 1/4 cup of "taters". Most of the time I will realize that I am really not hungry and wont get more, but sometimes I REALLY AM still hungry. Sometimes instead of seconds I will opt for a piece of fruit or yougert.

Most days for lunch I bring a salad with what ever Protein we had the night before. Sometimes I will use croutons, but mostly I have come away from them....

Try out MyFitnessPal, if you have not, being able to see everything layed out for me is great! There is an iphone app (I dont know what other phone apps are available) and you can simply use the computer as well... it all syncs together. I hope that helps!