Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet post op, i am scared and frustrated

Hello,

I am newly banded, since april 21st, I have lost 50 pounds since august on my own, without dieting, but by cutting portions, by listening to my hunger.

Now the problem is that I am obsessed, I am one week post op, on full liquids( I didnt do a pre op diet), I have 2 weeks left on liquid diet before I move on to mushies for another 3 weeks.

All I think of is food, real food, I am not hungry, I just hate liquids, im sick of it.. Is this normal? Will I still be frustrated when I start eating solids? I am scared I have done a big mistake, I was doing so good, loosing weight without being frustrated and obessessed.

Do you have any tricks? any foods that I can incorporate? I have been eating shakes(store bought and home made), Soups..

I am so weak, I dont know why it is so hard for me. Its only couple weeks ;(

Hello,

I am newly banded, since april 21st, I have lost 50 pounds since august on my own, without dieting, but by cutting portions, by listening to my hunger.

Now the problem is that I am obsessed, I am one week post op, on full liquids( I didnt do a pre op diet), I have 2 weeks left on liquid diet before I move on to mushies for another 3 weeks.

All I think of is food, real food, I am not hungry, I just hate liquids, im sick of it.. Is this normal? Will I still be frustrated when I start eating solids? I am scared I have done a big mistake, I was doing so good, loosing weight without being frustrated and obessessed.

Do you have any tricks? any foods that I can incorporate? I have been eating shakes(store bought and home made), soups..

I am so weak, I dont know why it is so hard for me. Its only couple weeks ;(

Me, too. I've been on Clear Liquids since Monday, my surgery day. I am weak as a kitten. I have a wedding tonight to attend and don't know if I'll be able to make it. I need some energy. Any ideas?

Sounds perfectly normal to me...I felt the same way during my post op liquid phase. I could hardly get up off the couch I was so weak. Every day that I wasn't able to eat was torture and food was all I could think about. It does get better, hang in there!

You havent done the wrong thing you are going to be weak how can you have strength on liquids only. I would say occupy yourself with something so you wont think about food. I dont really know that the obession with food ever gets better because we all have that issue however I do know that if you occupy yourself then you wont think about it all the time.

Thank you for your support!

I didnt mean to scare anyone, surgery and the recovery is great, for me, the problem is that liquid diet.< /p>

I cannot believe i have 5 weeks left before i eat solid food again, but i guess i just gotta try to block it off.

I have anxiety now, thinking ill never eat again, but i know that in 5 weeks, or even in 2 weeks during the pureed stage, ill be able to taste good food again.

I guess ill stop being a baby and ill suck it up, but gosh i havent been this cranky in forever!

Ive read lots of old posts and i realised most of us go through this stage if our doctors are strict.

Ill go dream about my sandwich:)

Thank you for your support!

I didnt mean to scare anyone, surgery and the recovery is great, for me, the problem is that liquid diet.

I cannot believe i have 5 weeks left before i eat solid food again, but i guess i just gotta try to block it off.

I have anxiety now, thinking ill never eat again, but i know that in 5 weeks, or even in 2 weeks during the pureed stage, ill be able to taste good food again.

I guess ill stop being a baby and ill suck it up, but gosh i havent been this cranky in forever!

Ive read lots of old posts and i realised most of us go through this stage if our doctors are strict.

Ill go dream about my sandwich:)

I am only 6 days post op and very hungry. I think about food often, I cant wait to get to the pureed stage. It is hard to stay strong, but I know I have to. I feel weak, I even moistened a few chips in my Soup just to have something a little crunchy. I felt horrible after, so I dont think I will do it again. Good luck with your liquids, you have come so far, I know you can do it.

I had Soup for the first time last Thursday and I swear it was the best thing I've ever tasted! :P I was banded on 4/21 and on liquids only for a week. I wasn't very hungry at first, but now I'm so sick of Protein Shakes and so thankful that I can at least have soup! I move on to mushies this Thursday and I. can't. wait!!! I can't eat "regular" food until week 6. So far I've lost 18 pounds, so it's all worth it to me!

Instead of focusing on your hunger.. hard to do when your tummy is growling, I know! but how about doing a dream board. Get a poster board and use it to put reminders WHY you had this surgery. Did you want to feel better? Did you want to be healthier? Did you want to wear cute or sexy clothes? Sometimes, it helps to just change your mindset... focus on what you can do or want to do. I know someone who has body parts from magazines cut out on their dream board. She also has a picture of a runner because she thought that was a healthy person. She also had a picture of a person skydiving.

Again, I know it is hard when you are so hungry but a little visualization might help!

Good luck to you on your journey!

Elie936, I am going through the exact same thing! In fact, I just read your post to my wife and she thought it was something I had posted. I was just banded on May 12th. and I am already going crazy on liquids and it's only DAY 6!!! The crazy thing is, I am not really hungry at all and I don't feel weak as others have mentioned....but I am totally obsessed with food now. It's like knowing I can't have something is driving me CRAZY!! I think about food anytime I'm awake and I dream about food when I sleep. I have always been a big eater (obviously) but I have never had this kind of obsession with food before!! For the love of God, I just want to taste SOMETHING real!!

I actually quit smoking on May 9th. and I'm too busy thinking about food to even give a crap about cigarettes!!

I can't help but feel like I've made a big mistake by doing this whole thing. I look at the calendar every day just to count down the days until I have can have some Soup of all things.

It's not called "bandster HELL" for nothing. gets better when you graduate to real food. then you just have to work with the band and you will be fine.

Hey there. I'm 6 days post-op and my surgeon defines liquids as including Protein shakes, pureed Soup, even mashed potatoes....so it's anything that will liquify in my mouth before it goes down. I never knew mashed potatoes do that---but yep..they dissolve in my mouth since i'm not wolfing them down like a madwoman and eating them soooooo slowly..they dissolve. Every surgeon seems to have different instructions. when I was on Clear Liquids only before the surgey I thought I was going to absolutely lose my mind.

I talked to the nutritionist and she said i could add stuff to my Protein Shakes..i made a Protein shake to die for the other day..

Here's the recipe:

In the Blender: a cup of Decaf iced coffee--light..with two splenda in it, three ice cubes, chocolate sugar-free carnation Breakfast powder, 1/2 a banana, one large scoop of whey Protein Powder, one packet of sugar free/fat free hot chocolate and blend. It made a mocha-banana shake. I poured a little bit in a cup and I put the rest in the fridge for the next day or at night. It was SO delicious and felt satisfying.

I'm totally fixated on food right now too..although i'm following the routine meticulously and not cheating. i can't wait to CHEW something.

I'm down 11 lbs in 6 days. YAY!

starting weight on day of surgery was 197 (I'm real short)

weight now 186

want to get down to 135-145. Cant decide now since it seems so far off. For my height I shouldn't be above 125..but I haven't seen that since i was 29.

Hang in there...I FEEL your pain. But i am SO looking forward to the results.

hugs,

BandedKitten