Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's probably still too soon, but when is it safe to drink alcohol again? I know I have to limit my intake but a glass of wine when I go out would be nice on occasion.

HI, When were you banded? I was curious about the same thing. I know its too soon for me but i would just like a general idea when i could drink a glass of wine also. I was banded on March 15th. :) Michelle

You may want to check with your doctor but I speak from experience when I say there are way too many empty calories that will stall your weight loss because I promise you that you won't have just 1 glass of wine. Just something to keep in mind.

You may want to check with your doctor but I speak from experience when I say there are way too many empty calories that will stall your weight loss because I promise you that you won't have just 1 glass of wine. Just something to keep in mind.

When I went in 1 week post op, my Dr said drinking is fine just don't have anything carbonated. I had asked because I was going out to a party and wanted to have something. Just be causious what you drink due to sugar in alcohol and that we don't eat a lot or at that point have no solids to help absorb the alchohol so we are cheap dates!

I was banded 3/3/11 BTW

Personally I have been able to have a glass of wine with dinner (with my doctor's approval) on weekends since about 5 months post-op. I allowed for the 100 calories in the wine in my planning and still managed to lose 250 pounds an dhave been maintaining that weight loss. It is all doable. You don't have to "eat diet food" or be "on a diet" for the rest of your life, but you DO have to be careful to not sabotage yourself by having the second glass, or the little dessert, or a glass of wine every night. My band helps me deal with satiety so I can plan those little outings with the glass of wine, and yes, even a small square of dark chocolate. I did weight until about 2 years out to add the occassional square (about 60 - 80 calories) or dark chocolate, but I am now almost 7 years out and have learned how to be "normal" while using my band.

HI, When were you banded? I was curious about the same thing. I know its too soon for me but i would just like a general idea when i could drink a glass of wine also. I was banded on March 15th. :) Michelle

I was banded on the 14th so we're pretty close!

I talked to the PA at my post op visit today and she said to wait until my first fill appointment in 4 weeks before drinking again to give my stomach the most time to heal. She made a good point of telling me that alcohol lowers your inhibitions so you're likely to eat more, not chew enough, make bad choices, etc. However she understands that the band is something I have to live with so if I enjoy a glass of wine once in a while it's not going to hurt me too much.

so since you are so newly banded and everything is fresh in your mind...were you terrible sore after surgery? I have mine tomorrow and havent really been nervous but never really thought about after feeling until now.

After I was banded I waited 6 weeks, and I consider myself a party type person. But I respected this procedure. I Drink Ultra beer, and bloody mary's and I enjoy life. I just dont eat a large pizza, and buffalo wings with ranch afterwards like before, because I CAN'T!!!

After I was banded I waited 6 weeks, and I consider myself a party type person. But I respected this procedure. I Drink Ultra beer, and bloody mary's and I enjoy life. I just dont eat a large pizza, and buffalo wings with ranch afterwards like before, because I CAN'T!!!

You can drink beer? My surgeon might actually murder me if I drink anything carbonated!

You can drink beer? My surgeon might actually murder me if I drink anything carbonated!

Beer bubbles actually feel uncomfortable to me AND my surgeon would kil me as well.

Beer bubbles actually feel uncomfortable to me AND my surgeon would kil me as well.

I have had beer, I put it in a glass and let it sit for a few minutes and have no issues.

Agreed.

I don't drink AT ALL for this reason. Also, I probably wouldn't be drinking while eating.

It's a personal decision that you can only make for yourself, though.

My doctor didn't restrict me from alcohol or carbonated beverages after the first month although did warn that the carbonation might give me problems. However, I don't drink because (1) I'm a cheap date...one glass and I'm ready for bed, and (2) I physically crave carbs the next day.