Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3, 6, 12 months after being banded

I am thinking about getting lap band, and just wanting to see how quickly the weight comes off.

What was your starting weight (and hight)?

How much did you lose 3 months after?

6 months after?

12 months after?

Is there anything you dislike about having the lap band?

I hear that sometimes when you lose weight fast you get the extra skin hanging that wont go away unless you have additional surgery to remove it, did any of you experience the extra skin? If so what was your age, I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Start weight 275, heght 5'7

3 months, 20 pounds lost

6 months, 25 pounds lost

12 months, 50 pounds lost

17 months , 85 pounds lost

The first 8 months I had my band I did not get off my butt and exercise. I also kept making the wrong food choices. So my weightloss was very slow!

Then one day I started exercising and watching my calories and the weight is falling off. Lost 10 pounds this last month. Down to 190 now.

I don't think there is anything I don't like about the band........maybe sometimes it has a mind of it's own. One day I can eat every thing on my plate, then the next day going out to dinner with friends it only lets me get a couple of bites down.

But thats probably not a bad thing! Lol

Everyone loses differently though it all depends on you and how hard you make yourself work to lose weight. I am a slow loser while some people on here can reach goal within a year.

I think skin is an issue no matter what rate you lose weight. If your young you have a better chance of your skin returning to normal, also it depends on how long you have been overweight. It's a wait and see type of thing.

Not really. But I'd say the most challenging thing about having the lap band is the planning. Having the Lap Band requires a little organization and planning. I pretty much eat the same times every day which is a good idea. I can no longer just eat when the opportunity arises (which of course is the whole point of having the band) but when a social thing comes up I need to think about what I can eat, reschedule my other meals so that I will be able to eat at the set social schedule. Also being out and about and not able to eat much bread you realize how many restaraunts are solely focused on bread (pizza, sandwiches, fries...all things that while I can eat a little I don't do very well with them at times). There are just a few times that I feel bad because my family chose to adjust their plans around me. For instance my father-in-law loves to go out to IHOP for family gatherings. I don't do well with solid Breakfast sometimes. I try to tell them that I am perfectly happy with having yogurt before and sipping tea while they eat out but they insist on adjusting to me and then I feel bad. But I wouldn't say that is a big deal in my day-to-day life.

I hear that sometimes when you lose weight fast you get the extra skin hanging that wont go away unless you have additional surgery to remove it, did any of you experience the extra skin? If so what was your age, I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Age and skin type do have a lot to do with it. Also if you are like me, prior to having the lap band, I dieted my whole life. The losing and gaining and losing again wreaked havok on the elasticity of my skin. I was fourty-ish when I got the band and yes I got the loose skin but not too bad on the body. I did have a lower face/neck lift because at around 100lbs lost, I completely lost the fat pad in my face almost overnight my cheeks just fell which gave me slight jowls and pressed down on my neck. Everyone insisted that it wasn't bad and comparing myself to other 40 somethings it wasn't but it bothered me and so I made that choice for myself. It was my reward for the weightloss. I plan to have a breast lift/maybe a slight reduction just because breasts look a little too big for my body and I feel I am a bit out of proportion because of it. I am short and have a small frame so large breast just make me look heavier than I am.

You can read my milestones below to see how my loss progressed.

i'm 6 months out, so i can give you my 3 and 6 month info so far...

my starting weight at surgery was 269 (highest weight 289), i'm 5'9'' tall.

3 months - 40 pounds

6 months - 70 pounds

i absolutely know i'm going to have a lot of sagging skin; i already do. i'm at the point in my life where i'd much rather have sagging skin than the fat, so i'll take it. i'm 32 years old.

so far, there's nothing i dislike about the band. i have no yet reached a place where i feel like my restriction is adequate, so a lot of the weight i've lost has been through sheer willpower. that's been really difficult, but i have high hopes that i'll soon reach the appropriate restriction level.

I am thinking about getting lap band, and just wanting to see how quickly the weight comes off.

What was your starting weight (and hight)?

How much did you lose 3 months after?

6 months after?

12 months after?

I have been banded since January 28, 2010. So, let's see, that is almost 14 months.

I started out at 243 and I am 5'6'

At 3 months, I lost 25 pounds.

At 6 months, I lost 35 pounds

At my one year bandaversary, I had just reached onederland. Which was a 43 pound loss.

Currently, at 14 months out, I have lost 55 pounds.

My weight loss has been slow, and I was at a plateau for about 6 months, I kept chugging along, and eventually things started moving again. I would say my biggest disappointment is my inability to eat breads or french fries. Would I change anything because of that, or do I regret getting the band? Heck to the no. Even with just a 55 pound weight loss, I look and feel better than I have in years. No loose skin, but I think that depends on how fast you lose, and how much you exercise. I hope this helps, and be blessed in your journey.

I am just a week under my six month post op date. I can share my results so far:

Statistics other than weight:

• Pants: Size 52 waist and 34 length
  • Shirt: 22/39
  • Casual: 4XLT

Pre-Op, I did not take the preoperative diet seriously and hit day of surgery without having lost an ounce from my peak weight. I started the process at the same 450 pound mark as my first consultation. The night before the surgery, I was terrified of the doctor opening me up and having to postpone the procedure because my liver was too fatty from my pre-op gorging.

Thankfully, the surgery went as scheduled with no complications. I had the lap band and also was able to participate in a study for plication of the stomach. Basically, the surgeon folded my stomach in half and sewed the entire length together, similar to the gastric sleeve without cutting. Once the stomach was folded and secured, the band was placed and sewn into the fold to limit potential slipping.

After my one day stay in the hospital, I took the doctors advice to heart and followed the directions to the letter. Nothing but recommended foods, liquids, and consistency from that moment forward. Getting past the psychological barriers was the most difficult part of the process. I would torture myself with foodnetwork shows and recount days of past food triumphs. Despite all, I managed to completely follow all advice and direction.

3 Months: I had lost 75 pounds to a total of 375 in the month of March

6 Months: I am a week shy of my six month anniversary and currently weigh 325 pounds, having lost 125 from the day of surgery

Long-Term Goal: To achieve a healthy BMI for the first time in my life, I need to weigh 216 pounds. My own personal goal is to reach 225. I want to be able to say I am half the man I once was before making the decision to have weight loss surgery. Will I make my goal, not sure. However, I am well on my way and it is all thanks to the lap band.

Current Stats other than weight:

• Pants: 42 waist and 34 length
  • Shirt: 18/39
  • Casual: 2XLT

Joe

Congratulations on doing something to change your life. I often feel that navigating this life from a " normal"

Size ( whatever that is to each of us)

Is much better and easier than what I was before. It has been years with my band and I am thankful daily. And yes, sometimes she is a b@&ch and fussy, but life is very good.

Good luck and keep posting!

Joe

Congratulations on doing something to change your life. I often feel that navigating this life from a " normal"

Size ( whatever that is to each of us)

Is much better and easier than what I was before. It has been years with my band and I am thankful daily. And yes, sometimes she is a b@&ch and fussy, but life is very good.

Good luck and keep posting!

Hi there, I don't have all my stats but I have lost 75 since November 2013 without dieting. I make good choices and enjoy having my appetite dimmed. My band is not tight -- I should probably get a fill to address these last 20-30 pounds. For me, this has not been a difficult journey.

I am 5'5

10/16/15-surgery-250

11/14/15- 220

12/24/15- 214

2/4/15- 209

3/30/15- 202

5/4/15- 180

6/1/15- 176

I have however have hit a wall the past few weeks with no weight lost. :( I have about 5 months till I reach my year mark, so I hope the scale moves!

Oops I missed a line

250 to start 240 day of surgery..

I don't have saggy skin...my tummy could use some toning but I have also had 2 csections...I'm not gonna get surgery just gonna work on my sit ups and crunches! Lol ! Is there anything I dislike? Nope. Because without it I wouldn't have gotten this far....is it hard some days? Yup! But totally worth it. Wish I had done it sooner.

Omg....I need to quit hitting send before I finish...also surgery was 2014 not 2015...sheesh. it's early :/

Called to have a consultation with a doctor ,the Secretary said I had to take a nutrition class first ,so I'm taking It Sept 3 , is that normal to have to take a class