Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been watching a lot of lapband journeys on youtube and I ended up having the following questions:

I noticed that people don't talk about how they feel after eating as in depth as I thought they would:

• What does it feel like after eating the 1/2 cup of food?
  • What does it feel like to be full?
  • What does it feel like to be stuck?
  • What does it feel like before you throw up?
  • What does it feel like when you are throwing up?
  • What does it feel like when you drink Water and if you drink it too fast?

I also have not seen much from people who have actually reached goal:

• How do people deal with reaching goal? Currently (probably because I am barely starting to live the lifestyle) I imagine that when I reach goal I might be the person to say, "OK I can enjoy myself a bit now and if I gain a few lbs its OK because I can lose it again." But then I will get out of control and gain it all back.
  • What is the thought process like once a person reaches goal?
  • What is it like to stay on maintenance?
  • How do you exercise during matinence? For example if you do 2 hours of exercise per day while loosing weight do you have to continue to do that much exercise during maintenance to keep the weight off or do you pull it back a bit so you don't continue to loose weight?

I know everyone is different but I would like to hear the individual experiences so that I can get an idea of what could possibly happen to me. :)

What does it feel like after eating the 1/2 cup of food?

You don't eat 1/2 cup of food, after healing it's about 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups per meal. For me dinner is like 4 turkey meatballs with cheese and marinara, lunch is 1/2-3/4 cup chicken salad with 2 flatbread crackers, Breakfast either 3/4 cup dry oatmeal (prepared w/ water) and half a banana, or 1 piece of toast and 2 eggs or egg beaters. Basically keeping it 1200 calories a day. Eat mostly Protein then supplement with other things (usually veggies, but I'm not a big fan)

What does it feel like to be full?

It feels the same, but you are never bloated, thanksgiving dinner full. Thats how I would always feel pre-band, from over eating.. it's just a light pressure now, or a little gassy. Basically you eat slowly, then you stop when you are satisfied. Basically your measure should be am I not hungry? After you get filled, you go several hours without hhunger (I can go 4 or 5)

What does it feel like to be stuck?

I haven't been stuck, so I can't help you there. With the exception of some people who just can't digest certain things (like untoasted white bread), or if you take a monster bite of food, you shouldn't get stuck a lot, if you do your band is probably too full. Use baby utensils when you can.

What does it feel like before you throw up?

Again I haven't, but I heard its pretty painful! You will know if you are stuck.

What does it feel like when you are throwing up?

What does it feel like when you drink Water and if you drink it too fast?

Normal. I can drink as much as I want as fast as I want. I mean I never have like a gallon at a time, but i can take a few big gulps no problems. Water goes right through... Just don't drink with meals!

Very uncomfortable. It has only happened to me a couple times. It happens if I eat too quickly and once because I ate a teeny bite of bread off my kids place bc it smelled so good. It feels stuck. That is the only way I can think to describe it. Like a pressure under your sternum. An your instinct is to drink to make it go down, but this will only make it worse. You just harto let it make it's way down. I have not thrown up at all other than right after surgery from the anesthesia

Drinking

I drink all day long Water, unsweet tea, crystal light. I drink as much as I need/ want just not at all with meals or for 30 min after.

Everyone has answered your questions except throwing up. I have thrown up and it is awful. Once you get stuck you throw up to get what ever stuck out. It just sits on your chest. It happens to me because I eat too fast and don't chew my food very well. I really try to cut up small pieces and chew chew. It is very hard. The throw is different from how you used to throw up. I don't really see any food, it is mostly mucus or something. You really shouldn't be throwing up. And don't eat or drink anything right away after you throw up. You should just relax. That's my take on it.

Yeah exactly! If you don't throw it up, it's like stuck in your throat...but not really, and stuck in your chest...but not really. All I know is you have to get it out!!!

Everyone has answered your questions except throwing up. I have thrown up and it is awful. Once you get stuck you throw up to get what ever stuck out. It just sits on your chest. It happens to me because I eat too fast and don't chew my food very well. I really try to cut up small pieces and chew chew. It is very hard. The throw is different from how you used to throw up. I don't really see any food, it is mostly mucus or something. You really shouldn't be throwing up. And don't eat or drink anything right away after you throw up. You should just relax. That's my take on it.

I'm almost 3 years post-op, so here is what I feel:

• What does it feel like after eating the 1/2 cup of food? it takes awhile before you learn how your body is going to feel after eating, that's why it's a good idea to weigh or measure your food. and it will take awhile before you're able to tell because every time you get a fill it will feel different. once you're at your sweet spot, your body will tell you when it's full.

• What does it feel like to be full? i've learned to listen to my body. i literally know that if i eat ONE more bite i'll throw up. you have to learn to listen to your stomach and not your head. your head with ALWAYS tell you to keep eating!!

• What does it feel like to be stuck? to me it feels like someone has a fist in the middle of my shoulder blades. and it hurts.

• What does it feel like before you throw up? the "sliming" starts. your mouth will begin to fill up with saliva rapidly. you'll know it when it happens!!

• What does it feel like when you are throwing up? usually its just emptying the top part of the stomach and it's relatively easy (no wretching) but it is NOT recommended that you throw up.

• What does it feel like when you drink Water and if you drink it too fast? if you drink after you're eating, there is no place for the Water to go except back up the way it came.

• How do people deal with reaching goal? Currently (probably because I am barely starting to live the lifestyle) I imagine that when I reach goal I might be the person to say, "OK I can enjoy myself a bit now and if I gain a few lbs its OK because I can lose it again." But then I will get out of control and gain it all back. i still weigh myself every morning. it's habit now. it keeps me on track. i allow myself 2 pounds.

• What is the thought process like once a person reaches goal? i just recently reached goal or i'm still basically eating the same way i've been. nothing has really changed yet.

• What is it like to stay on maintenance? it's like any other day. you get in a rhythm of what you eat and the times you eat so it's pretty easy.

• How do you exercise during matinence? For example if you do 2 hours of exercise per day while loosing weight do you have to continue to do that much exercise during maintenance to keep the weight off or do you pull it back a bit so you don't continue to loose weight? i have not exercised at all... which is why it took me almost 3 years to lose 70 pounds. i just know myself and know that i would never keep up with any exercise regimin if i started and then stopped i probably would have gained weight back. i've never gained any weight back by just "dieting".

Thanks so much you guys.

It seems like the throwing up part is different for different people. I guess with that I am just scared that I will make my band slip or something...like what if you get the stomach flu? I'm one of those people that throwing up is really hard to do so when I do get sick my whole body is sore after because it strains all the muscle...hopefully the band will change that. Does the food that has already moved through the band ever come up?

And with the question about being full...I guess my problem is (and I don't have the band yet...hopefully in May) that I get slightly hungry sometimes...but when I do eat...even if it is a lot I don't have an actual full feeling...but at the same time I am no longer hungry...so it pretty much feels the same the whole time. I think if you don't really get hungry often and when you do eat and you don't get full there is no way to be satisfied. But hopefully the band will give me a distinction.

I am by no means an expert, but I thought I'd try to answer some of your questions, as well as your last post. I, too, was like you. I really didn't feel full until I basically ate until I was almost sick. The biggest thing that has helped me with the band is eating SLOWLY...whether it's putting my fork down between every bite or just entertaining myself with other things to make me eat slower; the slower I eat, the more I allow myself to feel what I'm actually eating. I can't necessarily say I feel 'full' with the band, but I'm slowly learning how to note when I should stop eating.

I noticed that people don't talk about how they feel after eating as in depth as I thought they would:

• What does it feel like after eating the 1/2 cup of food? I actually do try to stick with 1/2 cup or 4 ounces (depending what it is) of food per meal. I'm only 5.5 months out from surgery and haven't yet been given the go-ahead to increase my portion sizes. I have had many meals that have been more than that amount, but I try to stick with that as much as possible. I also supplement in between Breakfast and lunch and then lunch and dinner with a Protein shake. I'm a vegetarian, so I make sure I have at least one Protein Shake a day.
  • What does it feel like to be full? I tried to answer that above. I don't necessarily know if I have the feeling down yet, but I can definitely tell when I'm at the point where I shouldn't eat anything else.
  • What does it feel like to be stuck? I've had the stuck feeling a few times...to me, it's a pain in my upper chest, and I can feel the food like a big dough ball in that area.
  • What does it feel like before you throw up? I've only thrown up once, when I decided it was ok for me to eat a bunch of triscuts; my mouth started watering like crazy, and I went to the bathroom to spit it out in the sink...I bent over and all of the sudden I just threw it all up. It didn't hurt; I didn't wretch. It just happened. And then I felt fine afterwards.
  • What does it feel like when you drink Water and if you drink it too fast? I was told over and over at the dr's to sip my Water. I am a gulper, always have been. I actually have no problem gulping water like I used to. I don't eat 15 minutes before or an hour after I eat, so my stomach is generally empty when I drink. I don't feel anything different when I drink fast.
  • How do you exercise during matinence? For example if you do 2 hours of exercise per day while loosing weight do you have to continue to do that much exercise during maintenance to keep the weight off or do you pull it back a bit so you don't continue to loose weight? I, obviously, am not at goal yet, but I'm only 40 pounds away (fingers crossed that'll happen soon); on the exercise front, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I exercise basically everyday (with rare exceptions) for at least an hour, sometimes more. I fully intend on continuing with the exercise when I'm at goal. I might back down to 5-6 days a week instead of 7, but I think doing an hour a day is feasible for the long haul.

• What does it feel like after eating the 1/2 cup of food? 1/2 a cup theory is bull. No one can be nourished on a 1/2 a cup of food. By a year you should be able to eat a small tv dinner with no problem Only eating a half a cup of food is going to cause Vitamin deficiency for sure.

• What does it feel like to be full?I it feels satisfied
  • What does it feel like to be stuck? Painful very painful when you try to drink Water to make it go down it just comes back up.
  • What does it feel like before you throw up? people with the band should never ever throw up.
  • What does it feel like when you are throwing up? the same as any time you throw up
  • What does it feel like when you drink Water and if you drink it too fast? No diffference in drinking water to me

• How do people deal with reaching goal? Currently (probably because I am barely starting to live the lifestyle) I imagine that when I reach goal I might be the person to say, "OK I can enjoy myself a bit now and if I gain a few lbs its OK because I can lose it again." But then I will get out of control and gain it all back. to me its not acceptable to think oh I can just gain a few pounds and then lose it. You should always be concerned about gaining and controling your weight loss
  • What is the thought process like once a person reaches goal? I dont think you thought process changes once goal is reached its a daily struggle.
  • What is it like to stay on maintenance?You continue to eat like you have since surgery. Always mindful of what you are putting in your mouth.
  • How do you exercise during matinence? For example if you do 2 hours of exercise per day while loosing weight do you have to continue to do that much exercise during maintenance to keep the weight off or do you pull it back a bit so you don't continue to loose weight?I go to cures its just easier to do cardio and weight training all together

Well, my worst stuck episode took me to the ER. It was by far the worst pain of my life. I couldn't even talk to the admitting nurse. I am sure getting shot could not have been more painful. I was given strong narcotics (didn't help) and unfilled. I spent the night in the hospital and it resolved itself eventually. The upper GI the next day showed everything was okay. But if it hadn't resolved, they would have had to go in their with instruments to remove the food..

The lesson here is not to get stuck but few people escape it.

Good luck to you.

I really hope all of you get to your goals. I get so excited when I am watching the youtube videos and people hit their 100lbs mark or their other goals. I probably look like a dork talkin the the computer screen. I have a very hard time believeing I will be successful and loose all the weight I need to lose but I am going to try harder at this than anything else I have ever done.

hi ashley... you're doing all the right things by researching and asking questions.

you asked about throwing up because of the stomach flu and what that can do to the band. in february, i got sick. it started with my nose draining down my throat which gave me a sore throat. my nose was draining so bad that whenever i tried to drink something i'd throw it back up. even being 3 years post-op, i still get scared about my band slipping. i emailed my surgeon to ask his opinion (i live 4 hours away from my surgeons office). even after all these years, i still lean on him for support and you need to find a surgeon you feel like you can call at any time. he called in a prescription for my nausea. turned out i had bronchitis but things with my band turned out fine.

as for you never feeling full... that IS something you will need to work on. that's when the phrase "the band is just a tool" comes into play. you DO have to still work at losing weight. you have to make healthy choices and not over eat. that's why you measure and weigh your food for a long time. you don't eat off a big dinner plate, you eat off a salad plate. you eat slowly to give your body the chance to actually feel full. you will have to work at it.

i wish you the best of luck on your journey!

hi ashley... you're doing all the right things by researching and asking questions.

you asked about throwing up because of the stomach flu and what that can do to the band. in february, i got sick. it started with my nose draining down my throat which gave me a sore throat. my nose was draining so bad that whenever i tried to drink something i'd throw it back up. even being 3 years post-op, i still get scared about my band slipping. i emailed my surgeon to ask his opinion (i live 4 hours away from my surgeons office). even after all these years, i still lean on him for support and you need to find a surgeon you feel like you can call at any time. he called in a prescription for my nausea. turned out i had bronchitis but things with my band turned out fine.

as for you never feeling full... that IS something you will need to work on. that's when the phrase "the band is just a tool" comes into play. you DO have to still work at losing weight. you have to make healthy choices and not over eat. that's why you measure and weigh your food for a long time. you don't eat off a big dinner plate, you eat off a salad plate. you eat slowly to give your body the chance to actually feel full. you will have to work at it.

i wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Well, I just had my second experience with "stuck" and I have to tell you, it's not fun!! So painful! I finally took a very small sip of Water and it went on down. I was eating chicken and didn't think I ate it too fast. but stoma said otherwise! Just like everyone else has said, eat slowly and take very small bites, because getting stuck is not something you ever want to experience if you can help it! Good luck! It's all worth it.

I really hope all of you get to your goals. I get so excited when I am watching the youtube videos and people hit their 100lbs mark or their other goals. I probably look like a dork talkin the the computer screen. I have a very hard time believeing I will be successful and loose all the weight I need to lose but I am going to try harder at this than anything else I have ever done.

You must not put so much pressure on yourself to know all the answers in the beginning. This is going to be a learning experience from beginning to end. Everybody is so different. I know I have had enough and am full because I get the hiccups and my nose starts running. If I eat one more bite, I will be stuck and God knows that is the most horrible experience you will go through and you will learn fast not to do that. I have been to goal for over a year and a half and still make mistakes. I keep going back and forth 3 pds but mainly stay at goal. I do occasionally cheat when I really need a piece of pie or some chips but then go back to my regular routine on Monday and get moving to get that out of my system. Look at this as a life change and make the most of it and enjoy the new body as you get to goal and maintain it. I only wish I had this opportunity when I was young and could really enjoy this size 10 body, but instead at age 58 my husband is looking at me like a teenager in love. Good luck and enjoy the ride.