Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month After Lap Band Removal: My Results

I recently posted that I lost my band after a burst appendix a month ago. I had my band for five years and lost 100 pounds. I wanted to share my results one month after losing my band. I'll also check in from time to time to lend support to those who have lost their bands or are losing their bands. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might have come to a point in my life where I can apply the knowledge I have gained over 30 years of dieting to reach a succesful goal weight and stay there.

Ok, my results at one month out with no band: 10 pounds down from before I went in the the hospital, appetite controlled, eating what I love in small portions, and feeling hopeful about the future flying solo.

I had/have a huge appetite problem and do not eat emotionally, which is why the band was so great for me. Having that hunger control was amazing. It was the first time in my life I felt full. However, after losing my band, I have been doing great controlling my appetite on my own! Here are my top tricks and tips for getting through the day with no hunger and without feeling deprived:

1. Protein, Protein, Protein:

Protein keeps us full! I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein at Breakfast and 25 grams at lunch and dinner. The best "protein bargains" (high protein, low calories) for me are: tofu, fish and shellfish of all kinds, "pure protein" shakes, chicken breast, lowfat Greek yogurt, whole grain bread and Pasta, fat free cheese, and egg whites.

2. Fat!!!

If I don't add some fat to my meal, I will be hungry soon after I eat. If I add about a teaspoon to a tbsp. of good fat such as olive oil, avacado, flax, etc. it keeps me full much, much longer.

3. Fiber!!!

Always combine your protein and fat with as much Fiber as possible. Fruits, wholegrain breads, Beans, and even fiber supplements are great. For example: a turkey breast sandwhich on whole wheat with some avacado and lowfat mayo. So yummy, high protein, and filling!

4. PILLS!

YEAH PILLS!!! I don't care what anyone says. OTC supplements help me alot. I have done about a million hours of research on the ones I take and have reviewed them with my doctor. We feel what I take is safe and helpful. I like green tea, red wine extract, garcinia, carraluma (Indian cactus), pine nut oil, and other "generally regarded as safe" food-derived supplements. These supplements help to control my appetite and green tea, specifically, is proven to raise the metabolism. So if you want to explore OTC supplements, check with your doctor, and don't let the naysayers get you down. There are things which do help to take the edge off. I think that the pharma companies are the ones who put the idea out there that "nothing works", because they want to be the ones to make all the money. There are things which work out there and you can find what works for you after consulting your personal physician and getting their approval, of course. And no I don't sell anything so I can't help you there, but do the research for yourself and maybe it could help you the way it's helped me.

5. "Fullbars"

Again, I don't sell these nor am I affliated with the company. This is a product which was designed by a weight-loss doctor. They are not safe to eat if you still have your band though! I know because I called the physician personally to check. They are only for those with no band. I get them at my local drug store and they have been instrumental in my success thus far. I eat one with a full glass of Water and it kills my appetite for about two hours. Again, check with your doctor if these could be right for you.

I am a firm believer that people with weight and appetite problems need HELP. We need to combine ALL the principals that can control appetite and we need all the help we can get. But believe me, if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO! You really can. I was the most hungry/starving person in the world before my band. But now that I've lost it and am combining everything I've learned in the past 30 years plus using the great new OTC products available out there, I've been doing fantastic!

I have been sticking to 1,200-1,500 calories per day and I do not restrict what types of food I eat. If I want a hot dog or chocolate, I eat it within my allotted calories for the day. Since I eat primarily high protein/fiber and take my supplements, I am in control and have not been overeating the high-calorie stuff. I've been eating it in small yet satisfying portions.

WE can do this!!! I am living proof. I know it hasn't been long, but I will check back in a couple months to give an update, and I'm sure it will be a positive one!

Good luck everyone, and never give up!!!

GREAT JOB SUNTA... CONTINUED HEALTHY LIVING TO YOU!

I recently posted that I lost my band after a burst appendix a month ago. I had my band for five years and lost 100 pounds. I wanted to share my results one month after losing my band. I'll also check in from time to time to lend support to those who have lost their bands or are losing their bands. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might have come to a point in my life where I can apply the knowledge I have gained over 30 years of dieting to reach a succesful goal weight and stay there.

Ok, my results at one month out with no band: 10 pounds down from before I went in the the hospital, appetite controlled, eating what I love in small portions, and feeling hopeful about the future flying solo.

I had/have a huge appetite problem and do not eat emotionally, which is why the band was so great for me. Having that hunger control was amazing. It was the first time in my life I felt full. However, after losing my band, I have been doing great controlling my appetite on my own! Here are my top tricks and tips for getting through the day with no hunger and without feeling deprived:

Protein keeps us full! I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein at breakfast and 25 grams at lunch and dinner. The best "protein bargains" (high protein, low calories) for me are: tofu, fish and shellfish of all kinds, "pure protein" shakes, chicken breast, lowfat Greek yogurt, whole grain bread and Pasta, fat free cheese, and egg whites.

2. Fat!!!

If I don't add some fat to my meal, I will be hungry soon after I eat. If I add about a teaspoon to a tbsp. of good fat such as olive oil, avacado, flax, etc. it keeps me full much, much longer.

3. Fiber!!!

Always combine your protein and fat with as much fiber as possible. Fruits, wholegrain breads, Beans, and even fiber supplements are great. For example: a turkey breast sandwhich on whole wheat with some avacado and lowfat mayo. So yummy, high protein, and filling!

4. PILLS!

YEAH PILLS!!! I don't care what anyone says. OTC supplements help me alot. I have done about a million hours of research on the ones I take and have reviewed them with my doctor. We feel what I take is safe and helpful. I like green tea, red wine extract, garcinia, carraluma (Indian cactus), pine nut oil, and other "generally regarded as safe" food-derived supplements. These supplements help to control my appetite and green tea, specifically, is proven to raise the metabolism. So if you want to explore OTC supplements, check with your doctor, and don't let the naysayers get you down. There are things which do help to take the edge off. I think that the pharma companies are the ones who put the idea out there that "nothing works", because they want to be the ones to make all the money. There are things which work out there and you can find what works for you after consulting your personal physician and getting their approval, of course. And no I don't sell anything so I can't help you there, but do the research for yourself and maybe it could help you the way it's helped me.

5. "Fullbars"

Again, I don't sell these nor am I affliated with the company. This is a product which was designed by a weight-loss doctor. They are not safe to eat if you still have your band though! I know because I called the physician personally to check. They are only for those with no band. I get them at my local drug store and they have been instrumental in my success thus far. I eat one with a full glass of Water and it kills my appetite for about two hours. Again, check with your doctor if these could be right for you.

I am a firm believer that people with weight and appetite problems need HELP. We need to combine ALL the principals that can control appetite and we need all the help we can get. But believe me, if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO! You really can. I was the most hungry/starving person in the world before my band. But now that I've lost it and am combining everything I've learned in the past 30 years plus using the great new OTC products available out there, I've been doing fantastic!

I have been sticking to 1,200-1,500 calories per day and I do not restrict what types of food I eat. If I want a hot dog or chocolate, I eat it within my allotted calories for the day. Since I eat primarily high protein/fiber and take my supplements, I am in control and have not been overeating the high-calorie stuff. I've been eating it in small yet satisfying portions.

WE can do this!!! I am living proof. I know it hasn't been long, but I will check back in a couple months to give an update, and I'm sure it will be a positive one!

I lost mine in Jan 2011 after an erosian and I am distraught. Lost 95 pounds, had it one year and two months. I get hungry but I am styaing 1500 or less and gaining weight. This is very true as I write everything down good or bad. Supper tonight was a salmon pattie made with egg white, 1 tsp olve oil to brown, peas 1/2 cut and 3/4 cup single serve broccoli with cheese 40 cals--one slider bn for 80 cals. I want my band back as it was so great for me. I am waiting for three clear H pylori bactor tests to clear me to seeif I can get it back. I am devastated without this tool.

Mit, they didn't offer you the sleeve? I have noticed that a lot of people that need the band removed, get the sleeve done the same time or soon after.

I have to say, I would be so happy to lose 95lbs :( I know it doesn't console you, because you are gaining but you have to be happy with that huge feat. 95lbs is a small adult :) I am proud of you and I know you will start losing again soon. Good luck

Mit, they didn't offer you the sleeve? I have noticed that a lot of people that need the band removed, get the sleeve done the same time or soon after.

I have to say, I would be so happy to lose 95lbs :( I know it doesn't console you, because you are gaining but you have to be happy with that huge feat. 95lbs is a small adult :) I am proud of you and I know you will start losing again soon. Good luck

thanks, I am watchng every mouthful and am not maintaining or loosing which is discouraging. I am active. I had H pylori bacteria and is was really bad so nothing could be offered at that time. I had my first H pylori blood test today, one for next month and then in May again. After three months, I go back to the Dr and see if we can reband. I really liked the bad, did well and do not want a sleeve. I just don't want to gain weight. I went to threapy last week and am going back again to try to talk this out.

I would like to thank you for your information. I lost my band exactly one month ago due to a swollen esaphagus. I was told that after the swelling has gone down, I will be able to get the band back, but I don't want to get it back. I am struggling to keep the weight off. I've lost a total of 100lbs and regain 19lbs. I needed some help in adjusting to life without the band.

Protein keeps us full! I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein at breakfast and 25 grams at lunch and dinner. The best "protein bargains" (high protein, low calories) for me are: tofu, fish and shellfish of all kinds, "pure protein" shakes, chicken breast, lowfat Greek yogurt, whole grain bread and Pasta, fat free cheese, and egg whites.

2. Fat!!!

3. Fiber!!!

Always combine your protein and fat with as much fiber as possible. Fruits, wholegrain breads, Beans, and even fiber supplements are great. For example: a turkey breast sandwhich on whole wheat with some avacado and lowfat mayo. So yummy, high protein, and filling!

4. PILLS!

5. "Fullbars"

2. Fat!!!

3. Fiber!!!

4. PILLS!

5. "Fullbars"

Thank you for this post. I too had my band removed (just last week!) and I can't even express how much healthier I'm feeling without it.

Thank you for this post. I too had my band removed (just last week!) and I can't even express how much healthier I'm feeling without it.

How come you had your band removed? I am trying to get up enough courage to get this thing out. I haven't had any success with this and I am not healthy. I came down with psoriatic arthritis six months after the band and have been struggling with this ever since.

How come you had your band removed? I am trying to get up enough courage to get this thing out. I haven't had any success with this and I am not healthy. I came down with psoriatic arthritis six months after the band and have been struggling with this ever since.

I was getting a lot of pain in the port site for some reason, but when I first had my lap band surgery done I experienced a lot of shoulder pain. Everyone dismissed it as the "gas pain" all patients get since they have to inflate your stomach. My pain never went away and it gradually got worse in the 2 years since having the surgery (and it was kind of undeniable that the band was causing it because I had it the second I woke up from anesthesia). I was also noticing really intense ear pain, which got outrageously worse in the 6 months before I had my band removed. I was told it was TMJ, so I didn't think it was related.

Sometime in June I got really fed up and was ready to find a chiropractor, if that's what would help me (I was already seeing oral surgeons, and getting fit for headgear to help ease the ear pain)....and by chance I researched "shoulder pain and lap band" and a 12 page thread about it came up. Apparently, when the band is placed, it squeezes around two nerves that go through your body- one up to the shoulder, another up around your skull. My pain was to the point where I couldn't walk around much at all.....kind of defeats the purpose of losing weight!! Every time I went out with my fiance, I'd have to head home early. So I went to see my doctor and he explained the nerve situation and said mine are probably being aggravated, or damaged from the surgery.

I got it out in July- he approved me quickly because I had been in complaining about pain before. The only hard part about it all was the insurance, it covered most of it, it was just annoying to have to wait around. I didn't know for sure I'd be having the band out until a few days before the scheduled surgery date!

I have not had the same pain since! My ear pain is completely gone. My shoulder aches sometimes, which leads me to believe there was damage, but not nearly as bad as it was before. If you're uncomfortable, get it out asap!

I was getting a lot of pain in the port site for some reason, but when I first had my lap band surgery done I experienced a lot of shoulder pain. Everyone dismissed it as the "gas pain" all patients get since they have to inflate your stomach. My pain never went away and it gradually got worse in the 2 years since having the surgery (and it was kind of undeniable that the band was causing it because I had it the second I woke up from anesthesia). I was also noticing really intense ear pain, which got outrageously worse in the 6 months before I had my band removed. I was told it was TMJ, so I didn't think it was related.

Sometime in June I got really fed up and was ready to find a chiropractor, if that's what would help me (I was already seeing oral surgeons, and getting fit for headgear to help ease the ear pain)....and by chance I researched "shoulder pain and lap band" and a 12 page thread about it came up. Apparently, when the band is placed, it squeezes around two nerves that go through your body- one up to the shoulder, another up around your skull. My pain was to the point where I couldn't walk around much at all.....kind of defeats the purpose of losing weight!! Every time I went out with my fiance, I'd have to head home early. So I went to see my doctor and he explained the nerve situation and said mine are probably being aggravated, or damaged from the surgery.

I got it out in July- he approved me quickly because I had been in complaining about pain before. The only hard part about it all was the insurance, it covered most of it, it was just annoying to have to wait around. I didn't know for sure I'd be having the band out until a few days before the scheduled surgery date!

I have not had the same pain since! My ear pain is completely gone. My shoulder aches sometimes, which leads me to believe there was damage, but not nearly as bad as it was before. If you're uncomfortable, get it out asap!

Since I was banded in 2008 I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, not 6 months from the surgery I have been very suspicious since but all my doctors refuse to believe that it has anything to do with the band. I take two injections every week and nothing is helping. I have not lost any weight and I can't tolerate fills. I am a little afraid of the major surgery but I just feel on edge as long as this thing is around my stomach. Thanks for your information.

Cheryl

Good Luck

quote name='Sunta' timestamp='1298307632' post='1576778']

Protein keeps us full! I aim for a minimum of 15 grams of protein at Breakfast and 25 grams at lunch and dinner. The best "protein bargains" (high protein, low calories) for me are: tofu, fish and shellfish of all kinds, "pure protein" shakes, chicken breast, lowfat Greek yogurt, whole grain bread and Pasta, fat free cheese, and egg whites.

2. Fat!!!

3. Fiber!!!

Always combine your protein and fat with as much Fiber as possible. Fruits, wholegrain breads, Beans, and even fiber supplements are great. For example: a turkey breast sandwhich on whole wheat with some avacado and lowfat mayo. So yummy, high protein, and filling!

4. PILLS!

5. "Fullbars"

I am having my band removed on December 7th. I am very confused on why the surgeon isn't requiring me to be on a liquid diet to remove the band. My understanding was it was to shrink my liver before surgery. Why aren't they concerned about the liver while taking it out Seems it would be the same problems with surgery. Have you heard anyone talk about this situation on here?

I should have never gotten the band. I am an emotional eater. I hardly ever eat much at sittings it is when I am by myself or watching television. I know what has to be done to lose weight why I thought a band would help me? I am really upset with myself always looking for a quick way out and all it ever came down to regardless of band or not is eating less and excersing more.

Did you have any problems after the removal? Why did they have to remove yours beause of your appendix? If you can help me I would really appreciated it. I am getting a little scared about the upcoming surgery. The only problem I have which is a big problem to me after surgery I always have a hard time breathing it is like I can't get any air and I panic. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. When I got the lapband I had problems but the anethesiologist was aware of this and brought me out of the sedation slowly. At any rate please keep me in your prayers.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl I understand your frustration with the band if it is not helping because of your style of eating but if it is not actually causing problems why have it taken out? I wouldn't put my body through surgery unless I had to. You could just have all the Fluid taken out of your band and leave it in.

That way if in the future you decide it might help you then you could get it refilled again. If it starts causing problems have it taken out. But really if it isn't why go through anaesthesia and everything unless?