Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successfully eating around the band

So next month it will be three years and the first two and a half years were great steady weight loss down 100 pounds. Over the past 6mths I figured out how to eat around the band. As a result I'm up 25 pounds. I feel like I can't get back on the wagon because I know how to cheat.... Any advice

Im not banded yet so i don't know how it feels but this is one of my fears.....The good thing is that you only gained 25 lbs and are recognizing you are cheating and trying to get support.....you hit a little bumb in the road had your fun with food for the last few months or so... now it's time to get back on track...You have gotten so far don't give up now...Don't think of it as a gain think of it as your down 75 lbs and you have 25lbs to go...

what if you were to get another fill??? stop drinking at your meals?? remove all cheat Snacks out of the house??

Best of luck....

I have gone through a similar experience. I am 3.5 years out and gained 21 pounds over the course of a year of maintenance. I made lots of poor food choices (many involving ice cream!) On New Years day I decided to start like it was day one. Mushies for several days and then planning my meals and writing everything down. Exercise had also fallen by the wayside so I have committed to at least 20 minutes 3 times a week. I think that this is a learning process and its going to take more that 3 years to master it. Start by forgiving yourself an start taking care of yourself. It's a decision that is not too hard to live with with our bands! By the way I am down 8 pounds this month-like the good old days! Best of luck.

So next month it will be three years and the first two and a half years were great steady weight loss down 100 pounds. Over the past 6mths I figured out how to eat around the band. As a result I'm up 25 pounds. I feel like I can't get back on the wagon because I know how to cheat.... Any advice

I am exactly where you are right now. I am sure we are not the only ones who have found ways to cheat. Like drinking sips of liquid with your food to help it slip thru the band. I started doing this because my band was too tight and I was "sliming" all the time and the liquids helped. What I should have done was go directly back to my dr and have some saline extracted but nooooo, I was so stubborn! I actually lost more weight after my doctor yelled at me for not losing fast enough and called me non-compliant. My surgery was about a year and a half ago and I have lost 93 of the 133 lbs I want to lose. I only have 40 to 50 more to go before I can get my abdominoplasty and I feel better now than I have since I was in my twenties. I am now a diet controlled diabetic which means I no longer need to take medicine to control it. I no longer have high blood pressure, my asthma symptoms are gone, I quit smoking 6 mos before my banding surgery. My life has totally changed and it is only going to get better. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and though I have not been allowed to be filled for almost a year, I now have found the will to continue. I had to wrap my head around the fact that this takes discipline, something that I have never been good at. I am ready now. I have to be honest with myself because I am QUEEN of cheating and shortcuts. Although I have had a lot of success, I have failed in some ways too. I will probably always battle the urging to cheat but then I rely on my faith for strength as well. WE CAN DO THIS!

I also eat around my band ... the things I *should* be eating seem to make me vomit -- chicken, veggies -- so I tend to want to eat things like Cookies, chips, etc. I'm frustrated because I know what I should eat, but can't seem to make myself do it. I had my surgery 3 years ago this month -- lost around 70 pounds in the first 18 months and have now gained it all back. Am thinking that maybe I should start over with the Protein Shakes and soft foods or something, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. I was thinking a few weeks of the liquids... thoughts?

My Dr. wanted me to go back to eating the way I did when I was finally able to eat solid foods, One cup per meal, three times a day. I'd say if you make up your mind that you really are ready to recommitt yourself to this lifestyle, then start all over from square one. You might want to ask a medical professional but what we have been doing is probably a dangerous game. We are increasing our chances of having the band slip and increasing the risk for another surgery to fix it.

I also eat around my band ... the things I *should* be eating seem to make me vomit -- chicken, veggies -- so I tend to want to eat things like Cookies, chips, etc. I'm frustrated because I know what I should eat, but can't seem to make myself do it. I had my surgery 3 years ago this month -- lost around 70 pounds in the first 18 months and have now gained it all back. Am thinking that maybe I should start over with the Protein shakes and soft foods or something, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. I was thinking a few weeks of the liquids... thoughts?

Hi, not sure of how you can get around your band... I was banded Feb 4, 2010 and I only lost 50lbs. My band has 6.5cc and I feel like I have not accomplished what I really wanted from the started. I started weighing 244 and now i am down to 191 and it's about to be a year in a couple days. My goal weight is 150lbs I was thinking about going back to the basics.

@MaryAlice66 if you can not eat and keep down solid Proteins then perhaps your band is too tight. Think about making an appointment with your surgeon to discuss the issues. I have read many banster blogs where people who were too tight to eat what they "should" began losing again after a small unfill. I myself am a healthcare professional, and i believe that the surgeons need to know what difficulties patients are facing 2-3 years out in the Maintence phase, so they can continue to learn and educate the new patients better. Don't give up.....you have come to far to throw in the towel!

#1 take out the diet mentality - I have not dieted since I started my journey 3.6 yrs ago... My goal was to get healthy - to get healthy you have to eat healthy and exercise and allow for treats too.. I am a FIRM believer in keeping a food diary - I asked a lady at work how she kept her weight down - she said when I have gained a few lbs - I start keeping a food diary writing everything down and keeping my calories around 1000- 1200.. She's one of those pple who we think - can eat whatever she wants and stay thin - Well there is no such person really - and we have to quit thinking that we can eat junk and quit exercising and stay thin or lose the weight...

This is about a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change in our eating and exercise habits - If we want to lose the weight and maintain it we have to understand this.. We have the tool to help us.. So why are we going to screw that up..

I've maintained my weight loss for 2.5 yrs now - How you ask - Cuz I eat healthy 98% of the time allow for treats 2% of the time and continue to workout 4 days a week.. I know that I have to do this to maintain the weight loss - I know that my previous eating habits and lack of exercise is what got me fat in the 1st place - I feel to freaking good to go back there..

I can also tell you that almost every single night since 7/17/07 I have had dessert - SF puddings, sf ice cream, sf yogurt... I go on vacation and eat what I want but continue some type of exercise - but when I come home I go right back to eating healthy..

It was my Birthday last weekend - I had bday cake & ice cream Sat & Sunday - Monday morning it when in the trash !!! I looked at the cake a few time during the day on Sunday -(in the past I would have eaten it all day long) but said - you are going to have some tonite - if you eat it now - no treat tonite - I wanted to save it for the evening.

Peeps - you can do this - you just have to understand that you can't eat high fight - high sugar - high carb foods 24/7 365 - you can have them as treats - but on a daily basis you have to eat healthy and exercise.. As the saying goes you can't have your cake and eat it too..

You have to decide for yourselves - what feels better for you - being morbidly obese or thin and healthy - I hate the saying nothing taste as good as thin feels - cuz I love the taste of food - (fat & sugar) but I can tell you nothing feels better than being able to live your life with out your weight limiting what you can or can't do.. And I can still have that fat & sugar even now and then as long as I exercise and eat healthy the majority of the time..

I'm a 56 yr old grandma - who can now zip line - Para Sail - scuba dive - hike a mountain - walk all day long - leg press 400 lbs - I'm the grandma who can catch air - not the fat one sitting on the beach looking at everyone else have fun..

Use your tool - quit sabotaging yourselves - Love yourselves enough to do this for you - to improve the quality of your lives - Don't let that little devil tell you it's ok to eat the junk - cuz it's not - it's going to catch up w/you..

Sit down plan your meals - plan your treat - budget your calories to allow for sf dessert at nite and make sure you get your exercise..

I have gone through a similar experience. I am 3.5 years out and gained 21 pounds over the course of a year of maintenance. I made lots of poor food choices (many involving ice cream!) On New Years day I decided to start like it was day one. Mushies for several days and then planning my meals and writing everything down. Exercise had also fallen by the wayside so I have committed to at least 20 minutes 3 times a week. I think that this is a learning process and its going to take more that 3 years to master it. Start by forgiving yourself an start taking care of yourself. It's a decision that is not too hard to live with with our bands! By the way I am down 8 pounds this month-like the good old days! Best of luck.

Hi Trystelle aka as one of the original Lucky #7;0) Glad you are back on the band wagon !!!!

Trying to start over with the band and attending some kind of support group I think would really benefit you!

thank you. I am only 4 months banded and feel like a failure. i am eating Cookies candy, ice cream etc etc daily. what you said kind of brought me back to my senses.

#1 take out the diet mentality - I have not dieted since I started my journey 3.6 yrs ago... My goal was to get healthy - to get healthy you have to eat healthy and exercise and allow for treats too.. I am a FIRM believer in keeping a food diary - I asked a lady at work how she kept her weight down - she said when I have gained a few lbs - I start keeping a food diary writing everything down and keeping my calories around 1000- 1200.. She's one of those pple who we think - can eat whatever she wants and stay thin - Well there is no such person really - and we have to quit thinking that we can eat junk and quit exercising and stay thin or lose the weight...

This is about a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change in our eating and exercise habits - If we want to lose the weight and maintain it we have to understand this.. We have the tool to help us.. So why are we going to screw that up..

I've maintained my weight loss for 2.5 yrs now - How you ask - Cuz I eat healthy 98% of the time allow for treats 2% of the time and continue to workout 4 days a week.. I know that I have to do this to maintain the weight loss - I know that my previous eating habits and lack of exercise is what got me fat in the 1st place - I feel to freaking good to go back there..

I can also tell you that almost every single night since 7/17/07 I have had dessert - SF puddings, sf ice cream, sf yogurt... I go on vacation and eat what I want but continue some type of exercise - but when I come home I go right back to eating healthy..

It was my Birthday last weekend - I had bday cake & ice cream Sat & Sunday - Monday morning it when in the trash !!! I looked at the cake a few time during the day on Sunday -(in the past I would have eaten it all day long) but said - you are going to have some tonite - if you eat it now - no treat tonite - I wanted to save it for the evening.

Peeps - you can do this - you just have to understand that you can't eat high fight - high sugar - high carb foods 24/7 365 - you can have them as treats - but on a daily basis you have to eat healthy and exercise.. As the saying goes you can't have your cake and eat it too..

You have to decide for yourselves - what feels better for you - being morbidly obese or thin and healthy - I hate the saying nothing taste as good as thin feels - cuz I love the taste of food - (fat & sugar) but I can tell you nothing feels better than being able to live your life with out your weight limiting what you can or can't do.. And I can still have that fat & sugar even now and then as long as I exercise and eat healthy the majority of the time..

I'm a 56 yr old grandma - who can now zip line - Para Sail - scuba dive - hike a mountain - walk all day long - leg press 400 lbs - I'm the grandma who can catch air - not the fat one sitting on the beach looking at everyone else have fun..

Use your tool - quit sabotaging yourselves - Love yourselves enough to do this for you - to improve the quality of your lives - Don't let that little devil tell you it's ok to eat the junk - cuz it's not - it's going to catch up w/you..

Sit down plan your meals - plan your treat - budget your calories to allow for sf dessert at nite and make sure you get your exercise..

Well said Indigo girl - You really put it out there! And it is all sooooo true! Thanks for your words of wisdom!!!!! :)

I have had the band for 1 year and I have this problem as well. I only lost 50 pounds to begin with,and now that I knowhow to cheat, I just cant find the willpower to stop. If you get any suggestions that sound fesible, please, pass them on!!