Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All These Complications are Making Me Nervous!!!

Im thinking of getting the Lap Band and have done a TON of research...then I get to this site and Im starting to get a little more than concerned. I will be a self pay patient and I keep reading about the hundreds of people who arent losing wieght, feeling unsuccessful, or have had out and out complications!

Are there people out there who havent had any complications and their band is working to help them lose wieght at a steady pace? Anyone who isnt disappointed and the band is working as intended? Being self pay I think my biggest dear is leakage or some other small compication.

Any input would be appreciated. Id love to have the surgery, I just dont want to waste my money if complications are more probable than I origionally thought.

Thanks Guys!!!

XOXO

Lauren

Hi,

I am not banded yet but I am going to give you my philosophy on the negative posts you may be reading...

I think about people who leave feedback anywhere. For example, if you go on Trip Advisor and research a resort, you will find negative comments and they will make you nervous. I personally feel that it is human nature to post if something goes WRONG more than to take the time to post if all goes well. If you are and unhappy customer at a store, are you more inclined to make a complaint or write a letter...think of how many stores you are happy wtih but have you ever taken the time to write a letter of satisfaction? If you are like most people, you have not. That being said, I think that many people want to warn people if things go wrong so there isn't anything bad about posting about the negatives. We all know that this surgery isn't 100% successful all the time. NOTHING IS!

So my advice is for you to make sure that you read the success stories with the negative posts. There are lots out there. I would recommend going on youtube and checking out bandedwendy. There are other great ones out there, too. You can see wendy's story all the way back to pre-op. She doesn't sugarcoat anything at all so you will get the good, the bad and the ugly from her.

I wish you the best of luck and if we think of the band as a tool, and know we will have to do work on our own, we will be successful, too!

Im thinking of getting the Lap Band and have done a TON of research...then I get to this site and Im starting to get a little more than concerned. I will be a self pay patient and I keep reading about the hundreds of people who arent losing wieght, feeling unsuccessful, or have had out and out complications!

Are there people out there who havent had any complications and their band is working to help them lose wieght at a steady pace? Anyone who isnt disappointed and the band is working as intended? Being self pay I think my biggest dear is leakage or some other small compication.

Any input would be appreciated. Id love to have the surgery, I just dont want to waste my money if complications are more probable than I origionally thought.

Thanks Guys!!!

XOXO

Lauren

yep, me!

Got banded Aug 2008, went from BMI 37 to BMI 21. No issues, no complications, nothing.

There are plenty of lapbanders who don't have complications. The thing is, they usually lose their weight, go off and live their lives and stop posting. There isn't a lot of incentive to post when everything's fine.

It's when something isn't going well, that you seek advice, and post.

So the posts you're reading about on here aren't really a representative sample of how the band works in general.

Lellow,

You are one of my inspirations! You look fantastic.

Do you have a blog? How long did it take for you to lose your weight?

Thx

yep, me!

Got banded Aug 2008, went from BMI 37 to BMI 21. No issues, no complications, nothing.

There are plenty of lapbanders who don't have complications. The thing is, they usually lose their weight, go off and live their lives and stop posting. There isn't a lot of incentive to post when everything's fine.

It's when something isn't going well, that you seek advice, and post.

So the posts you're reading about on here aren't really a representative sample of how the band works in general.

The band still requires a lot of work form the bandee..excercise, eating right..it's no miracle it just helps you eat less but even at that you can eat small meals all day long if you want..so it's still requires willpower I don't feel as hopeless as I did without the band, i know i have this tool and if I use it correctly i will lose weight. best of luck to you

Hi,

I am not banded yet but I am going to give you my philosophy on the negative posts you may be reading...

I think about people who leave feedback anywhere. For example, if you go on Trip Advisor and research a resort, you will find negative comments and they will make you nervous. I personally feel that it is human nature to post if something goes WRONG more than to take the time to post if all goes well. If you are and unhappy customer at a store, are you more inclined to make a complaint or write a letter...think of how many stores you are happy wtih but have you ever taken the time to write a letter of satisfaction? If you are like most people, you have not. That being said, I think that many people want to warn people if things go wrong so there isn't anything bad about posting about the negatives. We all know that this surgery isn't 100% successful all the time. NOTHING IS!

So my advice is for you to make sure that you read the success stories with the negative posts. There are lots out there. I would recommend going on youtube and checking out bandedwendy. There are other great ones out there, too. You can see wendy's story all the way back to pre-op. She doesn't sugarcoat anything at all so you will get the good, the bad and the ugly from her.

I wish you the best of luck and if we think of the band as a tool, and know we will have to do work on our own, we will be successful, too!

Lellow,

You are one of my inspirations! You look fantastic.

Do you have a blog? How long did it take for you to lose your weight?

Thx

Awwww thanks JPT!!

I did have a blog but I posted it on another (non lapband related site) I used to frequent. I'll see if it's still there and I'll pm you the link.

I basically lost about 90lbs in 10 months, which isn't fast nor slow. I guess I was just lucky. The band worked for me when nothing else did before.

:)

Just like someone else stated - I believe we hear more about the negative things than positive. Everyone knows someone, friend of friend etc that has had nothing but trouble with the lapband. Because of hearing of nothing but bad things about the lapband I now tell anyone who asks how I am losing weight - I want people to hear the good about my decision.

I have not had any complications either and am losing weight at a slow, steady pace. The one complication I have had is my own doing - getting stuck a few times and actually vomiting once - infact I really dont consider that a "complication". My surgery was uneventful & recovery went great. I follow my doctors/nutritionists recommendations and am doing fine. Not perfect - I overeat sometimes (especially over the holidays), I do eat things that I shouldn't at times- but heck - my skinny friends do to sometimes.

I am really glad I chose the lapband - no regrets, except I wish I had thought of it sooner :)

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks Guys!!!

XOXO

Lauren

Lauren, as others have said, you need to put it into perspective. For every individual who posts here (or elsewhere) with a problem, there are THOUSANDS who have no trouble at all. And if everything is going right, there aren't likely to be posts from those people. Even on this forum, if you read the older posts, there are many names of successful bandsters who have achieved their goals, and they've moved on. Some of the most prolific posters here haven't posted anything in several years. Why? I think it's because they got what they needed and they're out living their new lives.

So rather than focus on the potential problems others may be having, try to concentrate on what you'll do to NOT have those kinds of issues. As band surgery gets to be more commonplace, and more surgeons have more experience doing it, the rate of complications should logically be going down. If you find an experienced surgeon, study things to prepare yourself, and follow your own journey through the process, you'll be best prepared to have a successful banding. If you follow the rules, the odds are in your favor you'll be just fine.

Wishing you best of luck on your journey, and fantastic success along the way.

Dave

Thanks Guys!

Its funny because I use the old "TripAdvisor" analogy ALL the time when trying to find a place to stay. (Im an AVID traveler.) People never compliment when they get what they expect, rather they just complain when they DONT get what they paid for. Not that I blame them. I have had plenty of good service and never wrote in about it, I simply paid them because I expected good service, lol. I guess I never thought of that in the Lap Band world but I suppose its true there too!!!

Thanks for all the positive input. Im looking into financing today and the comments really helped when thinking about borrowing 15k!

XOXOX

Lauren

Lauren

I have lost 45 lbs since being banded in aug!!! I was a self pay as welll!!

I have had no complications at all!!! I am so glad that i got the band

susan

Lauren...ditto Lellow's post stating that ppl tend to move on when there are no complications and they are successful. Try not to stress over threads that list complications. Not a bad thing to read all sorts of threads on LBT but do not obsess over what you seem to see as so many ppl listing their complications.

I am 2.5 yrs out. No complications EVER and feeling better at 55 than I did at 20yrs old. Good luck in making your decision.

new lapband last week, been having epigastric pressure since day one, was admitted to hospital for 2 days unable to drink without increase pain and discomfort., dehydrated, very discouraged. still unable to take more than 4oz of fluids over 1hour in. if i take in more i have discomfort. at times i am hungry, i am very sad and unhappy, everyone promises this will get better, i dont know what to do??

No complications here. No issues......and working my band every day for all it is worth......:rolleyes:

No complications here. No issues......and working my band every day for all it is worth......:rolleyes:

MaineJackie...that's what it is all about. Working the band....not thinking it will work for you. Good going.

One thing I forgot to mention to the OP, Lauren. I do not discount your apprehension with reading different posts and threads that involve complications. I remember having a panic attack and almost hyperventilating while reading things on LBT prior to being approved and prior to surgery. But, I am so happy that I pulled up almost every thread. It helped me to prepared for one of the biggest decisions of my lifetime. The good, the bad and the ugly. That's basically what life is all about. You can put blinders on and not look at the ugly, but it will only shelter you from being educated on the issues.

I hope by now that you have had enough responses that you can put things into perspective. Hugs.

Off the subject...Lauren...you are just cute as a button. What a beautiful woman you are. Keep your sites set on making a healthy and active life for yourself...no matter which route you decide to go.

Hi, Lauren;

I have a few thoughts on this.......

All of the various Weight Loss Surgery procedures have their own share of complications. None of them are problem free. One thing that hasn't been discussed is what exactly IS a complication? Are you talking about MAJOR issues (erosion, slippage) or minor ones (getting stuck occasionally)?

I think you have to consider the idea that what is a complication to one person is a mere inconvenience to another…or a benefit to even another. For instance, in the Bypass world, there is what is known as the "dumping syndrome"…..for SOME GB patients, if you eat too much high fat or surgery food, you will become nauseous. Some people call that a complication, and for that reason alone, they would not have the bypass. But for many people it's a BENEFIT…..Dumping keeps them from eating foods that they shouldn't. It's all a matter of perspective.

For some Lap band patients, getting "stuck" and throwing up on occasion is a complication….to others, it KEEPS them from eating too much food at once, and reminds them to chew thoroughl.....again, a benefit…for THEM..

Make no mistake about it....Lap Band Patients have complications, and plenty of them. But.....Isn't being obese a HUGE complication in your LIFE? Isn't it worth the risk of some potential problems to be free of your obesity, which is GUARANTEED to shorten your life and make you miserable along the way?

Many Lap Band Surgeons will tell you that the incidence of complications is RISING, not falling. This due to several reasons, the main one being that we are just now getting a sizable population of LB patients that have had their Lap Bands placed for 3-5 years, and the problems are just beginning to show up. While banding technology has been available for around 20+ years, it has only been widely used for about the last 11 years. It was only approved for use here in the US about 10 years ago, and it has only been in the last 3 or 4 years that a critical mass has been reached where it would be considered a "common" procedure. This means that we really do not know, on a large scale, what the outcomes are long-term. But the post 3-year period is where many of the problems are surfacing.

It has suggested here(and in other threads) that the majority of Successful LB patients are simply "off living their Lives" and not hanging out here at LBT.....that only complainers come here, mostly. I would agree with that to a CERTAIN extent. But you also have be aware that People who have had their bands removed, had them unfilled due to problems, or are just living/coping with the problems, are ALSO just "off living their lives". Not all the complainers and people with complications come here (or other forums) to talk about it. There are plenty of Lap Band patients with problems that never come to ANY forum to talk/complain about it.

Someone here remarked that they thought that the ratio of LB patients without complications to those WITH complications was "Thousands" to 1. I would disagree with that. I think it's much closer. There are certainly more LB patients without serious complications than there are patients with problems, but the fact is that there is a significant number of Lap Band placements that eventually do have some serious difficulties.

I am not trying to discourage the OP in any way. But I believe that an honest and realistic view of these procedures is the best way to move forward; a fully informed patient makes better decisions. And to deny the rather substantial occurrence of complications with the Lap band is to deny reality.

Now, as a self-pay patient, you have some significant control over what your experience might be. You will be able to choose your OWN surgeon, rather than be obligated choose from a limited pool of surgeons provided by your insurance company.

A couple of suggestions:

Make CERTAIN that it IS the Lap band procedure that you need. The different WLS procedures are meant for DIFFERENT people with different Weight issues. You really need to take the time to be certain that restrictive surgery is what you need. Many people pick the wrong surgery.

Take your time, and select the BEST Surgeon you can find in YOUR geographical area. I cannot overemphasize the importance of choosing a GOOD surgeon. You want one with TONS of experience, a fully developed and comprehensive post-surgery program, LOTS of experience, an available and supportive staff, and an enormous amount of experience. Did I mention that experience is extremely important?

Many self-pay patients do something stupid like go to Mexico or DR or somewhere else like that simply to save money. I am not going to get into that issue here, but I would STRONGLY advise that if you have 15k to spend, spend it on the best you can get, NOT the cheapest. And the closer to home, the better.

Make certain that you are addressing the mental/emotional component of your Obesity. This is a HUGE part of the obesity problem, and if you are not dealing with it, you are not truly dealing with your weight issues. Seek out an experienced Psychotherapist that SPECIALIZES in dealing with bariatric issues. Go to counseling regularly. This CAN and DOES help….very often, therapy is the key to being successful with the lap band.

So, I won't say ignore the complications, as others here have. You need to be aware of them. But don't let them scare you off. With the right Surgeon, the right Support team, and the right choices on your part, the odds are that you will not have any problems.

Best of luck with your choices!

S.