Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Hi Everyone! Well, I went shopping for new dresses for the cruise.

I bought a Mac Book Air! What fun! It's soooo cute!!!

And I got two dresses. Yes!! Get this...One is a size 12, one a size 8. Go figure!

Im still in AZ enjoying the nice weather. Heading home tomorrow. I did get .3 removed before my long flight. I have an appt. On Thursday to put it back in :-) I made the right decision. I have been able toeat fairly normally out here and kept up wit my running. Well see what the scale says when I get home! Wow though ...my hunger is so much stronger without the. 3...makes me so glad I have the band!!!

Elfie....so sorry for all your trouble. You have given it MORE than a fair chance. If the sleeve is your road to goal, than so be it. Don't feel like a failure. Keep talking with your docs about your alternatives. You don't have to have the sleeve revision in the same surgery. IF they determine that your band needs to come out and you are not ready for sleeve yet....don't rush into it. You may need to live without the band for a while in order to make that decision. I wish you the best!

Melody,

I had almost constant shoulder pain for months, but if I had to deal with it for as long as you have I would have gone insane. Maybe just repositioning your band will help? If you make the choice to go with the sleeve it would be understandable, but I hear you on your reservations about it. It's not simple at all.

an update on me ......

My job situation is not good at the moment and is causing me a great deal of stress. Thank goodness I have not packed on a bunch of weight because of it. My husband's job is also hanging by a thread, so I'm a bit freaked out with worry. You may see us both working the drive-thru at McDonalds soon trying to save our house we have both worked all our lives to have. depressing, very depressing.

On a more positive note ................shit, I can't think of any ...... nevermind :( It just has to get better soon.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling less 'frantic' this morning about this whole band removal. I had a chance to speak with the insurance department at the bariatric center and they told me that I do not need preapproval to get my band out since I am having complications (pain) from it. I also don't have to have the sleeve done at the same time. The process for getting approved for a second WLS is the same whether I do it when the band is removed or at a later date. She said it is usually harder to get approved for a second surgery but mine should be a snap since I need the revision due to problems with the band and because I've shown a steady loss since getting the band.

Since another psych eval is required for the revision, I think I'm going to go ahead and schedule it and talk about my concerns and reservations with her. My husband suggested I do a series of visits with her. However, despite the fact that it's two more surgeries instead of one, I think I'm going to get the band taken out and wait on doing the revision. That's just such a huge step and I'm not ready right now to take it.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the lack of hunger and lack of desire to eat and use this time to really focus on eating properly to control my diabetes...low carb, keeping my calories below 1200 and trying to get in an hour of exercise each day. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

an update on me ......

My job situation is not good at the moment and is causing me a great deal of stress. Thank goodness I have not packed on a bunch of weight because of it. My husband's job is also hanging by a thread, so I'm a bit freaked out with worry. You may see us both working the drive-thru at McDonalds soon trying to save our house we have both worked all our lives to have. depressing, very depressing.

On a more positive note ................shit, I can't think of any ...... nevermind :( It just has to get better soon.

HB,

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. . No jobs at McDonald's! The food would be way too tempting, particularly if stressed out! Walmart is better. ;)

My 15 year old business is on the verge of going under. I've actually started the process of selling off my inventory of essential oils, putting the warehouse up for sale, etc. I told my husband that I'm then going to go to Walmart and apply for a position as 'greeter' so I can do the Jeff Dunham thing and tell people, "Welcome to Walmart. Get your shit and get out."

Sounds like we've all had an awful lot going on other than our bands! Hang in there everyone...we at least have each other for support when you need to vent! I understand how hard it is to hold on to a business... My husband is a tropical fish farmer and after the incredible cold here in FL in 2010 and losing all our fish he had to start from scratch. Just remember to breathe and visit this forum often!

Hang in there everyone!

Deb

Melody, my surgeon posted a link to this article on his Facebook page: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/650137.html

Just something for you to ponder.

Hello All ...

Ok - i need a good old fashioned brow beating, and a sharp kick in the ass - PLEASE !!!!!

So, I quit smoking - WOOT! Gained 30 pounds - and now I just lost my job - AGAIN !!!!! And I have an unopened pack of cigs in front of me. Debating if I should start to help calm the nerves and stop the gain ? My surgeon moved, and no one here does fills any more.

However, I'm feeling like a few of you at this point - chest pains , shoulder pain, upper arm pain. Dont get me wrong - I love my band, but now wondering if GB wasnt the way I should have gone - It was my first choice a few years ago... I hate the up and down, the "fickle nature" of it - i can eat the same foods and some days its good, and other days its a nightmare. I'm trying to cut all refined sugar, and some bad carbs. Lets be honest - I can't eliminate ALL of them.. I'd be lying to myself.

So, as I sit here and cry, feeling sorry for myself, i need a kick to get me away from this party !!!!! Granted, Im elated over the 100 pounds lost ( well, 70 now - and none of my new clothes are fitting any more :,/ ) but im so frustrated!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR

And I feel like an insensitive clod knowing what issues you all are having; the pain, the hurt, the struggles, etc...

I just really needed to vent. Miss you guys! and love you lots!! ((HUGS))

Take the ciggies and tear them into a million little pieces NOW. It doesn't matter how bad your nerves are smoking is not going to solve it. If you really need to put something in your mouth try sugar free gum. If you don't know what to do with your hands find a craft.You know how bad smoking is for your health. There is no point in losing weight to resolve health issues and then continuing to smoke.

You need to take stock and get back on track. Somethings are beyond your control - the job, others aren't.Take control of the things that you can - weight and smoking as it will put you in a better frame of mind and enable you to cope better with the other issues.

I know this sounds like tough love but that's what it is.

The job market is awful at the moment. I feel for all of you that have lost or may be about to lose jobs. I work casually and have a lot less work than I did previously.My daughter finished uni in Dec and has been unable to find anything so far. It's impossible to even get an interview. We're not even supposed to be in a recession anymre - Australia supposedly skipped it. Personally I don't believe them, I think that is just an excuse for them to keep increasing interest rates and put up petrol prices.

As to whether or not you should have done GB it's a bit late now. Unless you have lots of money for a revision you need to work with the chice you made.It's always easy to say I should have done ...........but the reality is you will never know.

You can do this.

Melody - feeling for you at the moment. I am hoping the surgeon will find a simple solution. If not then i think a revision of some kind is in order but seeing the psych to decide what is a good idea. A sleeve may not be the solution. A GB may work better but I know you won't consider that. Hope everything turns out well.

Step away from the cigarettes!

I am so sorry you've lost another job...so much for the powers that be trying to convince us the economy is on the upswing. Yeah right.

As Elcee said, unless you have the money to do a revision to GB, it is what it is and you need to make that band work. Even if you don't have someone locally to do a fill, you might start looking around further afield because there will come a time when you need one...or possibly an unfill.

You know, I am a carb addict. I could easily live on Pasta and bread. Oh wait...I did and that's how I ended up at 330 lbs.:blink: However, when I finally did eliminate them (starting with sugar and then all wheat products), it was easier after awhile to dump all the rest. Now I get my carbs mainly from low carb vegies and when I need a 'carb' fix, I make a flax muffin because it gives me the same head satisfaction due to its texture and flavor. Here's the recipe I use:

2 Tbs flax meal

2 Tbs almond meal*

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp splenda

1 tsp cinnamon powder

1 egg

2 tsp butter

Stir dry ingredients together in a coffee mug. Melt butter and stir in. Then add the beaten egg and mix well. Pop into the microwave for 50 seconds to 1 minute (don't overcook!). It will pop right out of the cup. I pour DaVinci's Sugarfree vanilla Syrup over it. Yummy. I've also made a pancake with this recipe and it's pretty good.

For 'bread', I leave out the splenda and cinnamon and use about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or a variety of herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.), and pour into a round or square storage container (about the size a slice of bread would fit into). I nuke it for about 30-40 seconds (since it's thinner). Let cool, slice horizontally and voila...2 slices of 'bread'.

*You can just use 1/4 cup of flax meal instead of the combo of almond and flax meal, but it helps drop the carbs a bit by using almond meal.

Denise,

Step away from the cigarettes!

I am so sorry you've lost another job...so much for the powers that be trying to convince us the economy is on the upswing. Yeah right.

As Elcee said, unless you have the money to do a revision to GB, it is what it is and you need to make that band work. Even if you don't have someone locally to do a fill, you might start looking around further afield because there will come a time when you need one...or possibly an unfill.

You know, I am a carb addict. I could easily live on Pasta and bread. Oh wait...I did and that's how I ended up at 330 lbs.:blink: However, when I finally did eliminate them (starting with sugar and then all wheat products), it was easier after awhile to dump all the rest. Now I get my carbs mainly from low carb vegies and when I need a 'carb' fix, I make a flax muffin because it gives me the same head satisfaction due to its texture and flavor. Here's the recipe I use:

2 Tbs flax meal

2 Tbs almond meal*

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp splenda

1 tsp cinnamon powder

1 egg

2 tsp butter

Stir dry ingredients together in a coffee mug. Melt butter and stir in. Then add the beaten egg and mix well. Pop into the microwave for 50 seconds to 1 minute (don't overcook!). It will pop right out of the cup. I pour DaVinci's Sugarfree vanilla Syrup over it. Yummy. I've also made a pancake with this recipe and it's pretty good.

For 'bread', I leave out the splenda and cinnamon and use about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or a variety of herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.), and pour into a round or square storage container (about the size a slice of bread would fit into). I nuke it for about 30-40 seconds (since it's thinner). Let cool, slice horizontally and voila...2 slices of 'bread'.

*You can just use 1/4 cup of flax meal instead of the combo of almond and flax meal, but it helps drop the carbs a bit by using almond meal.

Thank you SO much for the Tough Love! And the nummy recipe ! :-)

I didn't open the cigs - but really wanted to. I inhaled several Girl Scout Cookies instead. :blink: ok, ok - I know its not any better, since I got nauseous from them ... so you can put the whips away - Lesson Learned!!

So Mel, you totally gave up carbs ??? WOW! You're my hero!

Elcee - Take Stock .... Hmmmmmmmm there's a concept I've been very far removed from for way too long. Thank you for reminding me.

I wish I had a "Buddy" here , in town. My BF is useless when it comes to food, the band, understanding what I'm going thru, or ways to help and support. Oh well, that's what you guys are for, right ????

Bobbie (((HUGS)))

Bobbie,

Yes I gave up almost all carbs and did give up all carbs that don't come from vegies...ok, with the exception of the flax and almond meal but they don't have the immediate effect on my insulin levels. I also don't eat them that often because they're just too freakin' tasty!

Deb,

You farm tropical fish? Does that mean he goes out and catches them...or raises them? Sounds fascinating although I have as much luck with fish as I do plants. Put a black hooded robe on me, hand me a scythe and just call me 'Death'. I do love tropical fish though...especially the saltwater varieties!

Ok, I can tell I am getting ready for a vacation. I got stuck on meatloaf yesterday. (Yes, I know ground beef can be a hard one to eat...should NOT have taken that last bite, dork).

Then this morning, I got stuck on graham crackers and Peanut Butter.

Sheesh. Just when Bandit was behaving so nicely. Guess I better pack my shake mix. Cruise and tight band do not mix, I am thinking.