Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

My sons eye op/procedure is on Tuesday. Trying not to get too stressed out about it. He seems to be quite calm at the moment which is good.

Had an interesting week. My boss wanted me to work on Wed at a school which is way over the other side of the city. I told him I didn't think I would be able to get there in time (there are some areas of major gridlock around Melbourne) so he suggested I stay in his city apartment the night before. I did and my husband came along too. It was a 19th floor apartment overlooking Docklands which is a new/trendy/waterside area of Melbourne. The views were stunning.Water, expensive boats, Bolte bridge ........... It was also nice because hubby and I were able to walk to dinner with a huge choice of restaurants and then walk back again! Can't do that where I live. On the downside it was noisy so I slept with the windows shut which then meant it was pretty hot . Staying in the city is nice for the occasional "treat" but nothing beats the peace and quiet of living in the country.

Yesterday I went to a crazy patchwork class. i think the crazy referrred to the patchwork and not the people but you never know!

Today I am off to meet a friend that I haven't seen since Jan, for coffee and then I have to do the really exciting task of grocery shopping! That always seems to take forever. Walking around the shop, making a choice from too many overpriced items, putting it in the trolley, taking it out of the trolley, putting it back in when it never seems to fit, lugging the bags into the car, then out of the car then unpacking when you get home. What a schlep! Maybe its time we swapped food for a daily nutrition pill. Think of all the time and money we could save - not to mention all the weight we could lose!

Working tomorrow. Sunday I shall probably go to the local annual quilt show to get some inspiration.

Even the “Evil” Spartan would like to wish Melody a speedy recovery, and best wishes on whatever your next step will be in this process.

Sorry I snuck in here, but there was a little crack in the window, and I was able to climb through…..

You have been successful with the band thus far, and while it is certainly sad that you had it removed, you are now free of the pain that it was causing you every moment. And of course, they say that when one door closes, another one opens. I am a believer in that. You are smart enough to be able to figure out what your next step will (or won’t) be. Perhaps you have learned enough about your body in this process so that you can go it alone. If I was in your situation, I would take this as a huge challenge, and try and make it work without the band. You have knowledge and experience and insight into both your body and your Personal “power” that you did not possess before, so perhaps that will be enough. If not, there are other options. But I think you have the ability to move forward and be successful at this, sans band. You’re a smart lady, stubborn (oh, c’mon, you KNEW that!), and you are more than halfway to goal.

Give this a shot. I have a feeling you can do it. And if not, be grateful (as I am) that we are living in an age of options. But, I sense that you might not need those options. J

Best of luck in your recovery, and your path forward.

I will now attempt to crawl back out that window without falling on my butt….

S.

Spartan I am sure you are not really evil. We all have good and bad sides. Somedays we will say something that everyone likes and other days we will p@@s everyone off. I just want to know who you were in your previous life but I'm sure you are not going to share.

You should back out of the window very carefully because presumably these days your butt wouldn't cushion your fall!

Nice to see other faces here, it is not an exclusive, members only thread.

Was the scar tissue caused by the band? Did this happen because it was positioned incorrectly originally?

Please stick around, I love reading your posts.

Nope...not going anywhere. I still have weight to lose but, more importantly, I'd miss you all.

Apparently the scar tissue was caused by the initial band surgery. Not something they have a lot of control over. The band was initially positioned correctly, but the scar tissue that grew around the liver and stoma pushed the band onto the diaphragm...which is why it got worse over time. Unfortunately, even though they were able to remove the scar tissue, enough damage was done where the band sits (again, not their fault...just what is from the adhesions) that they didn't feel they could safely reposition it.

Elcee,

I'll be thinking of you and your son and praying things go well for him on Tuesday!

What a nice mini-vacation in Melbourne but I know what you mean about city vs country. Chicago is only 3 hours away and I love visiting for a couple days to go to the theater or museums, but wouldn't want to live there!

Thank you for the well wishes, Spartan, and as Elcee said, this thread isn't an exclusive club. :)

Elcee, vicodin's generic is hydrocodone it is an opiate and tylenol.

Melody, glad you are doing well.

I finally took my wedding ring into the jewelers. I haven't been able to wear it for about a year. It's just too big and spins like crazy. They could not make it any smaller, at least not small enough to stop it from spinning. My knuckle is size 4 1/2 but below that is a 3 1/2. So, I ordered a solitaire setting that is hinged to have my diamond reset into. I'll wear it with a band in a traditional setting. In my other ring, I'll have an aquamarine set (my hubby's birthstone) and wear it on my right hand. It still spins a little bit over there, but no where near as bad.

I figure that with my weight loss stopped, I am safe to get it now.

Speaking of quilting .........

I finished my 2nd quilt a few weeks ago. I just have not taken a pic yet. I'll have to post one. It turned out very nice.

I gave the first one to my son, so this one is for me smile.gif

Denise: Life should be full of problems like a ring that's too big. I'll bet you can remember when it was too small, hmmm? ;)

HB: I'm envious. I just can't seem to get motivated to get back into quilting. Can't wait to see your new one!

Happy Friday Bandsters!

Two days postop and I cannot believe how great I feel! I was just complaining to my husband last night that I hate how bloated my stomach feels and the fact that the scales say I'm 5 pounds heavier! Yes, I know it's due to the stuff they pump into your IV and the swelling from surgery...but still. Well, I woke up this morning and the bloat in my belly is noticeably down. The 5 pounds isn't quiet yet, but I can tell I'm still holding quite a bit of Fluid. Best of all, the soreness is to the point where I won't need the tylenol anymore.

Still doing very well on my low carb, no grain/fruit/dairy/starchy vegies. I thought I would miss them more than this...not that I'm complaining!

Now if my sinuses would just get back to normal. The nasal cannula (I think that's the word) they make you wear for oxygen after surgery dried them up so badly that I've had to use my little Neti Pot several times a day since I got home. That thing is a life saver!

I think maybe I'll get my material out today and start on a new lap quilt. I have 3 days where I'm not committed to anything and, since I thoroughly cleaned my house prior to surgery, I have nothing I'll feel guilty over not doing instead.

Have a good one!

Melody, you can always come clean my house! Glad you are feeling great! So is the shoulder pain all resolved?

Melody, you can always come clean my house! Glad you are feeling great! So is the shoulder pain all resolved?

Yes <knock on wood>...I woke up after surgery and was able to lift and move my arm in ways that I haven't been able to do (without serious pain) since my previous band surgery. The surgeon said that even if scar tissue grows back, the pain shouldn't come back since it wasn't the scar tissue bumping up against the diaphragm that caused the pain. It was the scar tissue shoving the plastic (or whatever it's made from) of the band up against the diaphragm.

As soon as my stomach is healed, I'm making an appointment for a massage to deal with the poor muscles in my shoulder and neck that have been stressed from the shoulder pain.

med_gallery_270429_6478_57192.jpg

My 2nd quilt.... all hand quilted. (machine pieced) Guess I should have tacked the bottom to the wall .... it really did turn out more square than the pic makes it look

med_gallery_270429_6478_1526300.jpg

med_gallery_270429_6478_56940.jpg

This was the first quilt....hand quilted , machine pieced

med_gallery_270429_6478_202588.jpg