Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just when I thought this fat girl beat the lap-band...

What a roller coaster ride this has been! After having surgery on March 31, 2010 I had about six fills and felt nothing! The only thing worse than facing the facts and having major surgery for my weight issues was the feeling I got month after month facing my doctor at the same weight. I honestly thought I was meant to be fat, congratulations Marisa, you have conquered the lap-band!!! It was BEYOND depressing. I hid from my family, that was probably the worst part, people that knew I got it done looked at me like aren't you supposed to be losing weight by now??? It was embarrassing. In my opinion, the only thing worse than being fat was telling people you got a lap-band and STILL being fat!!! I know I wasn't doing much to help i.e. exercise but still I thought maybe just maybe this band could fulfill it's part of the bargain and help me feel full.

FINALLY my last fill in late September did the trick. What a RELIEF!!!! It sucks to feel that my fat had superpowers and could withstand surgery! Since that fill I have lost 10-15lbs a month and finally got the self esteem to work with my lap band. PHEW! When I got the fill I was a little taken aback. At that point I had completely ignored all the training they give you like small bites, little sips, chew chew chew and eat slowly. I laughed those directions away after the first couple of fills. It took several bouts with the toilet to figure out how to eat properly but I did it!!! Now my main challenge is drinking. I've NEVER been able to get through a meal without drinking, I seriously feel like I've been walking in a desert with out Water for days after only two bites. I still drink too much and have to immediately go to the bathroom to release the liquid but I think I'm getting better. Even without food I still get a little carried away when I drink, I guess I was a gulper all my life and it's a hard habit to break. I'm not complaining though, finally :)

So here's my advice to all of those that have passed those few fills that were supposed to enact the band but failed...Hang in there!!! Don't get depressed or hide from the doctors, don't read all of these successful posts and get down...wait....and then wait some more..and a little more...and soon you can be posting in this forum with a success story like all the others. Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

What a roller coaster ride this has been! After having surgery on March 31, 2010 I had about six fills and felt nothing! The only thing worse than facing the facts and having major surgery for my weight issues was the feeling I got month after month facing my doctor at the same weight. I honestly thought I was meant to be fat, congratulations Marisa, you have conquered the lap-band!!! It was BEYOND depressing. I hid from my family, that was probably the worst part, people that knew I got it done looked at me like aren't you supposed to be losing weight by now??? It was embarrassing. In my opinion, the only thing worse than being fat was telling people you got a lap-band and STILL being fat!!! I know I wasn't doing much to help i.e. exercise but still I thought maybe just maybe this band could fulfill it's part of the bargain and help me feel full.

FINALLY my last fill in late September did the trick. What a RELIEF!!!! It sucks to feel that my fat had superpowers and could withstand surgery! Since that fill I have lost 10-15lbs a month and finally got the self esteem to work with my lap band. PHEW! When I got the fill I was a little taken aback. At that point I had completely ignored all the training they give you like small bites, little sips, chew chew chew and eat slowly. I laughed those directions away after the first couple of fills. It took several bouts with the toilet to figure out how to eat properly but I did it!!! Now my main challenge is drinking. I've NEVER been able to get through a meal without drinking, I seriously feel like I've been walking in a desert with out Water for days after only two bites. I still drink too much and have to immediately go to the bathroom to release the liquid but I think I'm getting better. Even without food I still get a little carried away when I drink, I guess I was a gulper all my life and it's a hard habit to break. I'm not complaining though, finally :)

So here's my advice to all of those that have passed those few fills that were supposed to enact the band but failed...Hang in there!!! Don't get depressed or hide from the doctors, don't read all of these successful posts and get down...wait....and then wait some more..and a little more...and soon you can be posting in this forum with a success story like all the others. Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Thank you for posting your story. I will be banded this next Tuesday. I will keep what you have said close to heart. I'm happy you have finally found your sweet spot. You are an inspiration. I wish you luck from now on.

Oh thanks so much for your post. I was banded last April and was too getting discouraged with my weight loss with many of the same feelings you were having. I also just began to really feel restriction and am beginning to lose weight. Thanks for sharing.

Hope u all the best.....I must tell you that I had the surgery in Sept 2009. I started to lose weight right away, but thats not the point. My trick was when I gained alitttle weight back I would go right back to liquids for a few days, and when I hit the wall, I would take a Water pill to jump start my weight loss. I can tell u that these tricks helped...you also must follow what they say...(chew, chew, chew...and eat very slowly so the food goes down and dosent get stuck. I have now lost 81lbs from Sept 2009, I couldnt b happier, my eating habits have changed, but I still use those tricks when I need them. Gook Luck hope these tips help. PS I only use the water pill for maybe 2 days at a time....do not abuse them it could be dangerous.

:rolleyes: Thanks for posting... first fill coming up and I'm chanting in my head chew chew chew ...lol

THANKYOU for posting that.I am in that exact place atm had surgery 30th aug 2010 and have only lost 7.5 kilos and nothing since.im going for my next in 2 days i hope it is the right one:-) I DO NOT want to stand in front of my doc once again with no weigh loss

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! I was just like you. I had surgery on 2.23.10 and didn't get a good fill until 9.16.10 and started to lose really well. I lost 10lbs in the month following that fill which is the most I have lost in a month since my liquids before surgery. So, being at a good fill really makes the difference for some of us! I got another small fill on 12.16 and lost 6 pounds within 2 weeks and I am so excited! I know you are just as excited!

Glad you finally can see some results and have a positive attitude. The thing to remember is the lap band is a tool. It is not a guarantee that you will lose weight. The reason the diet pill industry is so big is because everyone is looking for the magic bean that will enable them to lose weight with no effort on their part. I too have been searching for that magic. I dropped 100 lbs after getting banded and thought I finally had the beast under control. I was wrong. If we don't make proper food choices and lifestyle choices the band or any other weight loss aid will not help us. We all know how to cheat the band. And we all know that Ice Cream doesn't get stuck. I am now working to right the ship after regaining most of the lost weight. I want to get back to all the positive comments I was getting and away from the "what happened" comments. I want to be proud of how I look and not trying to find clothes that hide my gut. I want to be able to climb a set of stairs without getting winded. I want to be around to see my kids and grand kids grow up. In order to do that I must regain control of my life. I must say no when someone offers me cake. I must say no to going to a fast food restaurant. I must say yes to renewing my gym membership. I must say yes when asked to go for a walk. The band is a wonderful tool and I don't regret getting it. I just have to learn to use it properly again.

Let's all make 2011 the year we finally slayed the demons!

I was banded Sept 30th 2008 and lost 80 pounds initally with having 3 fills. But then nothing. I got lazy & didn't excercise and ended up gaining back 20 pounds. Well December I finally bit the bullet and went back to my surgeon. Who right away was upset with me that I hadn't been to see him in 15 months. He told me that he is here to make this work for me and I wasn't even half filled in my 10 cc band. So, he filled me up to 6.5 and now wants to see me every other month. The one piece of advice I can give is talk with your doctor, they are there to help you make this band work for you! I'm now back on track and have lost 19 pounds since Dec 9th.

Okay tell me this: I have been banded since june 2007.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

Thank you for posting this. It really hit home for me. I also had my surgery 3/31/10. SInce then, I've only lost about 10 pounds, despite exercising, and trying to eat more Protein ,etc. etc. I will say one thing though, It's kind of weird, a lot of my clothes are baggy now, even though I haven't lost much weight. That's one good thing. I'm also beginning to feel like I've beaten the lap band! Fortunately, the only person I told was my husband, that's embarrassing enough. He doesn't say it, but I'm sure he wonders why I haven't lost more. I had to laugh when you said don't hide from the doctor. I postponed my fill appt last month, and was considering doing it again this month...just embarrassed to face him when I haven't lost weight. But after reading your post, I decided I will go after all, and hopefully with the right fill, I can turn it around like you. Thanks for inspiring me to keep going!

Everything that Bob Said ... I am starting over because I did not keep working out, Ate to much ice cream,

and keeped away from the drs office.

Glad you finally can see some results and have a positive attitude. The thing to remember is the lap band is a tool. It is not a guarantee that you will lose weight. The reason the diet pill industry is so big is because everyone is looking for the magic bean that will enable them to lose weight with no effort on their part. I too have been searching for that magic. I dropped 100 lbs after getting banded and thought I finally had the beast under control. I was wrong. If we don't make proper food choices and lifestyle choices the band or any other weight loss aid will not help us. We all know how to cheat the band. And we all know that Ice Cream doesn't get stuck. I am now working to right the ship after regaining most of the lost weight. I want to get back to all the positive comments I was getting and away from the "what happened" comments. I want to be proud of how I look and not trying to find clothes that hide my gut. I want to be able to climb a set of stairs without getting winded. I want to be around to see my kids and grand kids grow up. In order to do that I must regain control of my life. I must say no when someone offers me cake. I must say no to going to a fast food restaurant. I must say yes to renewing my gym membership. I must say yes when asked to go for a walk. The band is a wonderful tool and I don't regret getting it. I just have to learn to use it properly again.

Let's all make 2011 the year we finally slayed the demons!

Congrats Marisa! It takes courage to keep getting your fills and doing what you're supposed to do even with no results. I'm glad you are finally starting to get some awesome results!!! Congrats to you!!!! I'm fortunate that the band worked for me from the get go but it is a long, hard journey! I'm 2 years out and I still have 50 lbs to go!!! Having the lapband is definitely not an easy way out of loosing weight!!! It's just a tool and it's gotta work. If it doesn't work for you it is so easy to give up and congrats to you for not letting it get the best of you!