Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why get filled before we are healed?

Quite a bit of conversations seem to center around getting that first fill as if it's a first "fix." I am perplexed by that. It seems that some think it's suppose to be an automatic part of the process, but in my prep, I was given the understanding that though fills may be necessary, that should be determined once we have done our part with diet and exercise and not as an automatic "right" to have one. I see that some doctors automatically schedule a first fill at one's post-op appt, but what I don't understand is how do they know you need a fill until you have healed? You may not need one. I think that fills are being over-rated and issued before you get to know your own body and how you feel after you've healed and done your part.

Just because we feel hungry doesn't automatically mean we need a fill. Hunger by itself is not the gage to determine if we need a fill or not. I thought it was determined by a number of factors such as if we're eating properly and exercising. Then, if we are still really hungry, a determination is made for a fill, not just getting fills as a routine procedure. I think we would run the risk of getting too many fills too soon, then when we really need more down the road, we have already reached our capacity.

Community, what do you think about this? :huh:

i agree with what you are saying. some drs actually put a fill in when they place the band. i guessing that they are already starting you out with some sort of restriction but i would also think the swelling should be enough. i didn't get my first fill till i went back for my 6 wk check up. it was 4 cc. i didn't get my second fill till about 5 wks ago. so in my 6 months of this journey i have only had 2 fills and i only have 4.5 cc's. i don't feel that i need anymore. i really wonder if some ppl when they say they are hungry and can eat more then the recommened about of fod they automatically think they need a fill. part of it is head hunger and part of it is they need to retrain themselves to eat smaller portions. so it's not fun when you see everyone eating whatever they want and as much as they want. but you have to have some sort of self control. my dr won't give a fill if you 'think' you need one. you have to be 100% postive that you need one and then he will question you if you are hungry in between meals or hungry 2-3 hrs after a meal. i was told to drink Water or to eat an apple. you can have sensible Snacks. i've always wondered the same thing well ifyou keep getting fills then what happens if you have the max amount and you are still hungry. perhaps it's not enough Protein, head hunger or just plain ol boredom. your new pouch isn't all that big and i just dont see how anyone can eat more then the recmomened amount of food- i'd feel like i needed to throw up and i'd be misserable. but i know everyone is different. ok just my 2 cents worth. whats everyone else's opinions on this?

I have not had my first fill yet. I was banded October 8th. I am just now beginning to be hungry. I had alot of swelling in my abdomen. I think that we should know our new bodies and become adjusted to the band.

I think the goal is to not feel physical hunger. Once you do, youre just dealing with willpower and as we know lots of us lose that battle. Fills arent overrated to me, I think they're key. The reason lots of doctors schedule fills post op is that experience and research dictate that most people heal and are back to normal 4-6 weeks post op. If you aren't one of those people then you cancel the appointment and move it to when you feel you need it. I was told by my surgeon that you shouldnt be struggling too hard and fighting hunger too much...because then you could just be on a regular "diet". This is where the band comes in, when you have proper restriction you fight alot less with physical hunger therefore youre able to lose weight .

I think the goal is to not feel physical hunger. Once you do, youre just dealing with willpower and as we know lots of us lose that battle. Fills arent overrated to me, I think they're key. The reason lots of doctors schedule fills post op is that experience and research dictate that most people heal and are back to normal 4-6 weeks post op. If you aren't one of those people then you cancel the appointment and move it to when you feel you need it. I was told by my surgeon that you shouldnt be struggling too hard and fighting hunger too much...because then you could just be on a regular "diet". This is where the band comes in, when you have proper restriction you fight alot less with physical hunger therefore youre able to lose weight .

I hear you Bunny106, and this is why I posed the question, because there are so many descrepancies that come from the varying doctors. Information I was given dictated that fills are not to keep you from feeling hungry, but to assist you with that feeling of satiety (full sensation) and that the band was not created to do the work for us, but to be used as a tool to help us. I've been told (professionally) that we still must exercise discipline - the band won't do it for us.

I just don't want to have a false view of what fills are for and then rely on that information that the fills will do the work that I should be doing. Yes, we may not have been disciplined in the past and felt like we couldn't - thus the decision for banding, but at some point it seems we must take some responsible and be willing to put in the necessary work ourselves to help the band work with us not for us. Not preaching, but just wanting to understand that this is not a cure-all without our input...or is it?

Community?

Very true! it wont do the work for you!! you still need to do your part and thats how it works. I dont think the results would be as good without exercise and eating right.

I say if you are not going to get the fills why get the band? My Doctor was very slow with fills none at the time of surgery and only ½ cc at each fill as I felt I needed them. I am 16 months out and only have 3.8 cc in a 10cc AP band. Last fill 9 months ago and one unfill of .02cc 4 months ago. So I have not been fill crazy, but needed those fills so lose the weight.

The fills are part of the process otherwise why spend the money, just go on willpower?

Cheri

I got my first fill 4 weeks post op. I went from feeling no hunger at all in the days after my surgery to feeling significant hunger within the next few weeks. I then got fills every 3 -4 weeks until I achieved restriction. Then I simply didn't go as often. Just when I needed to. I'm pretty loose now, but a not trying to lose weight anymore, so don't feel the need for regular fills.

I am a firm believer in getting fills. I have dieted before and lost some weight but couldn't keep it up long term. The fills physically stop me from eating more than I should. It gave me Portion Control, something I never achieved long term on my own.

I got fills of between 1 cc and 0.25ccs. More at first, less as I went on. I now have 7.5cc in a 10cc band.

I agree that will power is needed. Hell, there are heaps of bad, high calorie, fat-filled things you can still eat while well restricted. Ice cream, potatoe chips, chocolate all slide right through the band. You need will-power to make good food choices. You need will power to get off your butt and exercise. The band doesn't give you that.

I personally believe that the restriction you get with your band and your will power is supposed to be used in conjunction with each other to get the optimum result in weight loss. Use your will power where it matters and let the band do it's job to help out too. That's my personal belief anyway.

The band is a tool for sure. It works best when it gives you restriction. Having one and not achieving restriction is like having a toaster but not turning it on, IMO.

I never got overfilled. I lost weight. I've kept it off. I've been banded over 2 years and I'm past goal. The band and the fills helped me do that.

I am with Cheri. If you're are not going to get fills then why bother getting the band? The fills are an important part of the process. The band is designed to work with fills. Yes a few lucky people manage to lose without them but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Yes fills are an automatic part of the process.

Yes fills are designed to help with hunger.

If you are so convinced that you can do this without fills then do it. Just diet and exercise - don't bother getting a band. The way your post comes across it makes it sound as though people that need fills are in some way inadequate, You seem to be judging.

Just because we feel hungry doesn't automatically mean we need a fill. Hunger by itself is not the gage to determine if we need a fill or not. I thought it was determined by a number of factors such as if we're eating properly and exercising. Then, if we are still really hungry, a determination is made for a fill, not just getting fills as a routine procedure. I think we would run the risk of getting too many fills too soon, then when we really need more down the road, we have already reached our capacity.

Generally fills are recommended if :-

you get hungry sooner than 2-3 hours after eating what you should be eating.

If you are not loosing weight.

Yes there is a risk of getting overfilled but when that happens you generally know it and end up going back for an unfill - being too tight is miserable..

I am with Cheri. If you're are not going to get fills then why bother getting the band? The fills are an important part of the process. The band is designed to work with fills. Yes a few lucky people manage to lose without them but they are the exception rather than the rule.

If you are so convinced that you can do this without fills then do it. Just diet and exercise - don't bother getting a band. The way your post comes across it makes it sound as though people that need fills are in some way inadequate, You seem to be judging.

Yes there is a risk of getting overfilled but when that happens you generally know it and end up going back for an unfill - being too tight is miserable..

Thank you Elcee, Cherri, and Lellow for saying what was on my mind, but I was too afraid to speak. I am newly banded and have no restriction at this point. I have been following the dr's instructions on food and exercise to a T, and AM STARVING. I believe this is what is referred to as bandster hell. BUT, I will deal with it because...

1. I don't want to damage my pouch or band

2. I can hang on until my first FILL/FIX!! did she really call it that?!! I am actually very looking forward to a bit of restriction, even if it does not result in my sweet spot immediately.

3. I interviewed 4 surgeons before choosing the one who's staff and record of success I was most impressed with. If my surgeon wants to do a fill in 3 weeks, I trust he has done this far more than I have, and knows what works. (I'm with Dr Adam Smith, who has performed more bandings in the fort worth area than any other bariatric dr, has a band himself, performs all fills under fluro, and teaches at the local med school) If I didn't like what he did and his fill schedules, I would have chosen someone else.

4. Does the initiator of this somewhat judgemental topic realize that everyone is different, internal organs have different amounts of fat around them, and therefore, the band itself may provide restriction for some higher bmi patients, but none for loser bmi? Every situation is different, and to refer to a fill as a fix, is offensive. A fill is a necessary part of the banding process in order to achieve success. Also necessary for success is active participation on the part of the bandster, but if I could have done this without a band or the necessary fills, I would have done it long ago.

Once again, thank you more experienced bandsters for putting voice for what I was feeling, but was too afraid to say.

All the best to members on this site, and may your sweet spot be found soon and be lasting!

L

Fills are a very important part of my success. My surgeon did put in 2.7cc at surgery........he is the expert and made that decision. I reached my sweet spot at the 2nd fill and canceled the 3rd fill. With proper restriction I really didn't need to do all that hard work people talk about. Proper restriction made it so easy to take off 100 pounds in one year.

With proper fills my band has done it's job and I reep the rewards. :D

The only hard work I have had to deal with in this is paying for the surgery.

I almost have it paid off.

Elcee and others,

Oh please don’t think that I was trying to make anyone feel inadequate or judged. I am so sorry if that’s the way I came across and I do apologize!

I’m still trying to understand “fills” and have read a lot of conflicting information on the forum and just wanted to get to the bottom of it with accuracy. I have read some posts that talk about wanting a fill and its only been a couple of days post-op. That concerned me because I am a recent post-op and I thought our first responsibility was to allow ourselves to heal. That process has been a daily adventure for me to do all the right things. Reading here how others have positively come through it has helped me.

It bothered me to think that I should be thinking about a fill NOW. I’m still trying to just get through today on pureed foods. The long and short, I just wanted to know what the community thought about the idea of some people who are fixated on wanting fills prematurely or even knowing that they have not followed instructions properly.

Is all forgiven?? J

Only way you know is to ask? I have had to say I am sorry about the way I worded somethings along the way too. The only thing I do not say sorry on is my views on God and on drugs. I try not to force those views on others but it might have seen like it along the way. Sorry

Cheri

Well one thing you'll learn on this forum is that you will get people who are extreme and constantly want fills but it's a personal thing. Also you'll have people that don't handle it right. This is a journey and we all have to deal with all the mental crap that got us overweight. I too want my fills cause this band is suppose to help me achieve goals long term. I am 11 wks post op, had 2 fills and need another. I'm gonna try to get 1 before Christmas. I don't have restriction and I'm at point where I'm not losing as much and it also takes large portions to satisfy me when it shouldn't. Depends on what doc says. I also see nutritionist regularly. Doc says he knows I'm not at restriction cause he can tell when he's fillin me but believes in taking it slow. I'm at 6 cc in 14 cc band