Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1000.00 program fee...what do you think?

I was told that my program fee will be 1000.00 today. I am on the East Coast but I still find that really high because that is above my insurance which is covering the surgery?

What do you think?

I wonder how hard it would be to change surgeons?

Thanks MiMi,

I definelty will call around tomorrow. Funny I used to live in Columbia S.C. right off of Garners Ferry Road.

I thought that fee was a bit high. I mean they are getting thousands from the insurance company.

My surgeon charges a $500 program fee. They say that its to cover the costs of the meetings/dietitian/counseling and a "White Light" body scan. (See my avatar) Having now gone through the process, (surgery is 11/10) I think that it is designed to "weed out" the tire kickers. They want us to have a personal investment in the program.

hmm I dont know what to think about this because I didnt get charged a program fee. I could think of a dedutable, but not a program fee. Isnt that what your insurance is for?

I also am on the East Coast. Not sure how close you are to NJ, but my surgeon was awesome. There was no program fee. He is out of network for all insurance, but surgery is covered as long as insurance covers 80% of your out of network Dr. The only thing I was responsible for so far is the 20% for office visits probably about 100-150 dollars. The dietition was part of the deal no extra charge and she is literally there whenever you need her as is my dr who has a cell phone for his patients to reach him on anytime. His name is Dr. Michael Nusbaum.

I had a 500 dollar program fee...but there is a extensive program that is offered to the pts.

Wow ... program fee! And you wonder why some insurance doesn't cover this surgery. I think any doctor that charges a program fee is dishonest ... it sounds like the doctor wants a tip on top of their fixed fee for the service.

wow! I had a 300 program fee that they never asked for and I haven't ever paid. I live 45 minutes from the hospital and getting to monthly meetings isn't possible so I don't feel too bad as I'm not using the program services. but I would have checked elsewhere if Ihad been told 1000

The first seminar I went to had a 400 program fee. I found another program. They said it was to cover the hands outs (Yes photocopies. Voluntary support meetings with no professionals just patients getting together; which were held at the hospital (so they owned the rooms). Some people say it covers fills but if you have insurnace they will probably pay for that. I have to wonder if because this was a local hospital that they figured people would think this is my local hospital I'll have to just fork over the money.

I live north of Boston so many hospitals within driving distance. I went an additional 10 minutes to a MUCH better "magnet" hospital and there was no fee.

I went to a dr that was charging a $1,700.00 fee!!!!!! I was going to pay it but decided to put it all on hold. Went to another dr and there are no fees and they're amazing Doc's in NJ

My doctor charged a $450 program fee. she said she recently started it a few years ago mainly because so many people would start the process, she would offer her services, education, etc. and then people would quit halfway or towards the end.

but the fee also includes:

-3 sessions with the nutritionist (1 before surgery, 2 after)

-10 cardiac rehab/exercise visits

-education

those happen to be the things that most insurances(that she takes) do not pay for unless medically warranted.

$1k seems a bit excessive if it does not include anything. may be a different story if it covers something

A program fee? I'm in New York & never heard such a thing. Well I guess every Doctor/location is different. Good luck to: Pre-Banders, Post-op Banders, & Almost Banders....

my program fee also included a visit with the physcologist , all visits with the nutritionist , support groups with the Dr and his nurse there, visits with the nurse if you fall off track , and the after care through all these people . Me personally would pay it again for all this care. It keeps me on track.