Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take from the time you decided to get banded to your surgery date?

I researched for about 2 years then started the process in September of 2009. I am now 2 days away from surgery, so it took a little over a year. Not typical since there was payment issues for my prep and keeping insurance coverage in the state of Massachusetts is H@*&!.....Although, once your there, none of that matters! Good luck!:)

Could have been 3 months but due to other health issues had to be 7 months.

I went to a seminar in Feb 09 and was banded in Dec 09.

It took me about a year to get my lap band.

I went to my first seminar in September, 2009 and had my surgery on September 28th, 2010.

I decided in March, first saw my PCM in late March for a referral, orientation in mid-April, Surgery late August.

I met with several surgeons before deciding on the one I wanted to work with, but once I made that decision it took less than 4 months.

I started his seminars and mandatory nutrition classes June 1 and had surgery on Sept 21. During that time I also worked with my PCP to gather all of the information needed to submit to insurance. The process was much smoother and quicker than I'd imagined.

It only took me 2 months from seminar to all pre-op appointments and then surgery May 25, 2010. I had a bmi over 40 with documented high blood pressure so my insurance approved it quickly.

8 months, 3 days

I went to the seminar on March 15th. I had already decided I was doing it before going and was able to make my first appointment that night. I went through all of the testing and meetings, but I moved during the process. Because of the move, my insurance changed, from Tricare Prime North to South. I had to go through the whole approval process again. My PCP was great and worked hard to get me approved. I got my approval two weeks ago and on Monday (the 11th) I scheduled my surgery for Nov 18th (would have been the 11th, but my husband is gone for Military training and won't be back until the 14th).

I start my liquid diet on the 4th, and I'm not looking forward to that.

Mel

I could have had surgery 3 weeks after attending the seminar because my insurance has no requirements other than BMI above 40. My doctor requires the psyche eval and nutritionist visit. My schedule would not allow the original surgery date, so I postponed it by 3 weeks and so my surgery was 6 weeks from the seminar date.

Michelle

I could have had surgery 3 weeks after attending the seminar because my insurance has no requirements other than BMI above 40. My doctor requires the psyche eval and nutritionist visit. My schedule would not allow the original surgery date, so I postponed it by 3 weeks and so my surgery was 6 weeks from the seminar date.

Michelle

Michelle,

You signature has something about your fill failing cause of a flipped port. What does that mean and how was it fixed?

How long did it take for you to get all of your ducks in a row..Seminar, doct's apt's, insurance, ect?

hi I had my first seminar in dec of 2008 and the surgery in august of 2009, after you jump through all of the hoops, it is a pain in the butt, :thumbup: but it helps alot, I've been struggling since this last fill its the tightest its ever been i'm at 6cc's now and food is goin down rough,especially meat, steak and pork I cant even handle!! good luck to you

It took one month.

Michelle,

You signature has something about your fill failing cause of a flipped port. What does that mean and how was it fixed?

I have no idea how it happened, and neither does my doctor, but it does happen sometimes. I had no idea that it had flipped until I went into my first fill. My doc had a really hard time accessing the port and even under fluro it took a long time and lots of manipulating to get that fill in. He hoped that it would settle into place by the second fill, but within a few minutes he could see that it had totally flipped and could not be accessed.

The only way to fix it is to have surgery to reposition it. They went in through the original incision, moved it, secured it with mesh and a few stitches. I had a fill the next day and one more since then it has stayed put this time.

Other than that bump, things have gone really well. I am just over 5 month out from surgery and have lost over 70 pounds :thumbup:

I have no idea how it happened, and neither does my doctor, but it does happen sometimes. I had no idea that it had flipped until I went into my first fill. My doc had a really hard time accessing the port and even under fluro it took a long time and lots of manipulating to get that fill in. He hoped that it would settle into place by the second fill, but within a few minutes he could see that it had totally flipped and could not be accessed.

The only way to fix it is to have surgery to reposition it. They went in through the original incision, moved it, secured it with mesh and a few stitches. I had a fill the next day and one more since then it has stayed put this time.

Other than that bump, things have gone really well. I am just over 5 month out from surgery and have lost over 70 pounds :thumbup:

Thanks for that info. This is the first time I am hearing about this.