Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 12 days post op, and have been walking, but that's about it.

Does anyone go to Curves, is it helpful?

What can I do for now? I am worried about my port, even lifting the laundry basket kind of hurts.

I live in a rural area, no place to really ride a bike (although I did ask for one for Christmas) even to take a decent walk I have to drive someplace.

So whats the opinion out there, Curves, YMCA, or Zumba?

I would appreciate all thoughts, home equipment is not an option, right now

any type of exercise is good exercise, but i would shy away from curves. if you are looking to lose weight and really get into working out, curves isn't for you.

they use a hydraulic system instead of actual weights so you set the resistance. and you are on each machine for about 30 seconds about 3-4 times around. total around 30 minutes to work out with 200 calories burned tops probably

it's ok if a person is generally very sedentary, but i can imagine it would get incredibly boring doing the same thing each visit. you really can't personalize a work out at curves

You can't increase the weight just work faster. Not good. Free weights are much better or weight machines.

I'm not too fond of Curves myself. But I had recently looked into it to start some sort of exercise program. I thought it would be a good starting point, but not for long term. Unfortunately, they required a year's committment. I actually really like Jazzercise, but they only offer programs at set times, and if I can't make it to a program, then it's difficult to find another exercise option for the day. So I just joined Bally Total Fitness. It's really cheap and they offer unlimited classes, including 3 Zumba classes a week. I really like it. I can go when ever and do my own thing, or attend a class. They offer a 7 day trial, so I've been using that, but then I'll sign up.

like Bella Luna...I use Bally's. They're the cheapest of the chain gyms in my area. i've been with them since 2006 and i started off paying $30/month. but since i've been a long time member, I pay $11/month.

has a pool, sauna, and free classes as well. completely worth it

CURVES WORKS!!! :biggrin:

I lost 70 pounds before I got the band, and I lost 50 pounds of it at Curves. I did plateau eventually because it was a curcuit, but it was after about a year..I did go to the Y after that for another year, but I only lost 20 more pounds, even with a trainer and working out 6 days a week.

At Curves, they have a program now called CurvesSmart. You will get programmed at your fitness level, and then they will give you a keytag. At each machine, you swipe the keytag and it will bring your program up and will flash a yellow light at you if you are slacking or not working up to where you should be, which will keep you on track. At the end of your workout, you swipe the key tag at the computer and you will get diagrams of how you did on that particular day. It will tell you which machines you need to work harder on and which machines you did well on. It will also track your calories, based on your information and measurements when you join. Plus it is only 30 minutes--Today, for instance, I burned 608 calories in just a half hour! And yes, it is accurate.

Since you are just starting out, you can take it as slow as you need to. The machines will automatically adjust to the change in workout as you feel better...

I had my band put in on July 3rd, and I was just cleared to go back to the gym last week. I went right back to Curves and I love it just as much as I did before! I did sign a year contract, but this Curves is good at allowing you out of it if you need to. Each Curves is individually owned, so you will have to talk to them about that.

I don't work for Curves, I don't have any affiliation to them other than the success that I have gained! Every person's body is different--You can make an appt. and check it out and see if it is right for you!

Good luck.

I went to Curves five days a week for almost a year. Every single person that was there looked exactly the same as they did the first day I started there. I didn't change either.

Based on the Runner's World calculator, at my weight, I would have to run 5 miles to burn 600 calories - consider that a fast mile at 10 minutes per mile = 50 minutes of running to burn 600 calories.

I can tell you that I am shocked to hear that Curves counters say you can burn 600 calories in a half hour. Not saying it isn't true - just really shocked.

Personally, I'd give Curves a skip and opt for walking/running/swimming or a traditional gym setting.

Best wishes,

Well, I can't speak for anyone else's experience at Curves, I can only tell you mine. There are some people there who don't lose weight, it does take work. Just like any other place. There are people there who like to talk a lot instead of working out (I am not saying that there is anything wrong at all with that!) But you really have to work hard to make it work for you. If anything, it is a great starting point for people who are just starting out. That is initially why I joined, I did not expect to have such great results! :biggrin:

I'm not a fan. I am a former member, and while it is okay for getting into exercise if you're not active, there are problems inherent in the methods. The one that bothers me the most is the HUGE increase in injury risk with hydraulic equipment.

Most experts recommend that joints be moved through the range of motion slowly during weight training. With hydraulic equipment, speed increases resistance. So, as you become stronger, you need to move faster to get results. And the risk of injury increases dramatically.

There is one machine in particular that has given rise to what many orthopedists refer to as "Curves injuries."

I think that says an awful lot---that doctors are seeing a rise in certain shoulder injuries as a result of increased popularity of fitness establishments, like Curves, that use hydraulic equipment.

As I mentioned, I am a former member--I did not renew my membership when it lapsed because it became so, so boring. The hours were terrible (the founder is fundamentalist Christian, and believes women should be home with their families, so many do not have evening hours--and when I was a member, they even closed at lunchtime. Not so that employees could have breaks, but because they believed their members should be at home during those hours. No, thanks.) If you have kids, child care is likely to be an issue, too--despite their "strong family values," most sites do not have child care (though I think many franchisees are changing this).

I can tell you that I am shocked to hear that Curves counters say you can burn 600 calories in a half hour. Not saying it isn't true - just really shocked.
I'll say it: there's NO way that a 30-minute Curves workout burns 600 calories. I mean, they say "you can" burn that much. I suppose someone could, somehow. But the average Curves member? No way.

Finally, I could not in good conscience continue to give money to an organization owned by a man who has made significant donation to extremist groups that have claimed credit for bombing women's clinics and have killed physicians who provide women's health care.

I love the Y--zillions of programs, fun classes, great equipment, well-trained staff, child care, tons of fun stuff for the whole family.

Edited by BetsyB

I have been an active Curves member for about 18 months. I like it because its an easy way to get my daily exercise in...routine is pre-planned, no need to make a particular class time, women are friendly...etc.

That said, I found I hit a point that I needed to get on the computer based "Curves Smart" to force me to work myself harder. I can be fairly easy to slip into a "by rote" workout, where you just go through the motions instead of pushing yourself. This is particularly true if you and your workout buddy chat through the circuit.

All together, I would recommend Curves, with the proviso that you make sure that you continue to step up your effort levels...but in the begining some movement beats no movement and Curves is a great starting point.

for a new start, try Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds DVD. It's walking in place with stretch bands, weights and numerous other methods depending on what part of the body you are working on. She has a starter DVD that has 4 different workouts, the first of which is a 1 mile (15 min) workout created for the out of shape couch potato to get started. I got mine new, complete with stretch band from Amazon for $10.49 including shipping... Target has the same DVD for $29.

you can go a long way with her workouts for minimal expense.

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen the Canadian show X-Weighted. On one episode, there was a morbidly obese woman (228 pounds @ 5 foot 1; BMI 43) as the participant. She (not surprisingly) did horrible on her fitness assessment. It turned out she worked as a Fitness Trainer for Curves :) and she was extremely defensive about the program until the end. That alone tells me enough. Maybe Curves works for some people (somehow), but these kind of circuit gyms are extremely inefficient. Why waste your time when a walk/jog outside is free and faster?

I belonged to Curves when they first came out and I didn't much like it...didn't see the results. Probably like someone else said the weight resistance doesn't change.

I am 3.5 weeks post op. I have been walking alot but I too am having trouble picking up things. I was told by my doctor not to pick up anything heavier that 10 pounds for 4 weeks. I am a Curves member and my doc. told me to wait 4 weeks to go back. I can hardly wait. I really enjoyed the Curves circuit before surgery.