Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Rush in bandland!

Hello everybody! Its been a really long time since I've checked in. I haven't been doing too well. Im sitting at 28 lbs lost right now. I gained some weight during the holidays and when I went back to my doctor in January looking for a fill because I don't have enough restriction she refused to give me one. She told me that I havent been doing enough to lose weight (which I know but I also told her Im able to eat way too much and I get super hungry between meals) and she wanted me to come back in 3 months to see how much weight I've lost and she might do a fill then. I've been struggling really badly. I basically feel like Im hard core dieting and don't even have the band. Im frustrated right now because I feel like if Im going to hard core diet like this then why did I even get the band?

My mom has convinced me to switch to her lapband doctor even though he is 3 hours away. She has gotten so much support from them and has hit onederland. She got her band in October and has already had like 5 or 6 fills. I got my band in August and only had 3. So in a few hours Im headed up to my moms house and then tomorrow morning I have my first appt with my new doctor. They are going to do a fill at tomorrow's appointment and Im looking forward to getting back on track. Its a shame that my doctor had to be this way but as my mom puts it- the bariatric stuff is a sideline business for her. She is a surgeon and her main practice is with doctors in a surgery group who also happen to do bariatric stuff. My moms doctor and his group ONLY do lapbands and a lot of the people that work there and even 2 of the doctors have had lapband before. So we will see how this goes. Wish me luck!

Hello everybody! Its been a really long time since I've checked in. I haven't been doing too well. Im sitting at 28 lbs lost right now. I gained some weight during the holidays and when I went back to my doctor in January looking for a fill because I don't have enough restriction she refused to give me one. She told me that I havent been doing enough to lose weight (which I know but I also told her Im able to eat way too much and I get super hungry between meals) and she wanted me to come back in 3 months to see how much weight I've lost and she might do a fill then. I've been struggling really badly. I basically feel like Im hard core dieting and don't even have the band. Im frustrated right now because I feel like if Im going to hard core diet like this then why did I even get the band?

My mom has convinced me to switch to her lapband doctor even though he is 3 hours away. She has gotten so much support from them and has hit onederland. She got her band in October and has already had like 5 or 6 fills. I got my band in August and only had 3. So in a few hours Im headed up to my moms house and then tomorrow morning I have my first appt with my new doctor. They are going to do a fill at tomorrow's appointment and Im looking forward to getting back on track. Its a shame that my doctor had to be this way but as my mom puts it- the bariatric stuff is a sideline business for her. She is a surgeon and her main practice is with doctors in a surgery group who also happen to do bariatric stuff. My moms doctor and his group ONLY do lapbands and a lot of the people that work there and even 2 of the doctors have had lapband before. So we will see how this goes. Wish me luck!

I'm sorry that your Dr feels it's ok to do that to you.

If you could lose the weight on your own and keep it off you most likely would not have needed a lap band.

The lap band is a tool and when the Dr's withhold fills I feel the tool can not be used to it's best advantage.

I do understand that the Dr wants you to do more on your won to lose, most of us can probably do a little better. I know I can!!

I have had 3 fills since being banded but I feel I do have pretty good restriction so far.

I hope it gets better with your new Dr. Good that they were able to take you on.

Amber K I am so sorry to hear of your trials, on the other hand I m glad that you are making a change and seeking adequate and well deserved support and care that you deserve. We have enough to work at without having to battle with our healthcare team. Good luck!

Im back from my appointment and it was so awesome! I loved the office and the doctor was fantastic. Turns out I only had 6.5 cc's in my band (my first doctor told me I had 8). So he put in 2 more cc's and im up to 8.5 and hoping this will do the trick and start helping to lose this weight. The doctor was floored that my first doctor was holding my fill hostage until I lost more weight. He said that the goal is to NOT feel like you are hard core dieting. I have another appt scheduled for 1 month from today and they will do another fill if *I* feel like I still don't have proper restriction. Its amazing to have a provider actually listen to the *patient* to see how they are doing.

Amber K I am so sorry to hear of your trials, on the other hand I m glad that you are making a change and seeking adequate and well deserved support and care that you deserve. We have enough to work at without having to battle with our healthcare team. Good luck!

I'm glad it went well for you.

See we're not crazy the Dr said your first Dr was holding your fills hostage tongue.gif What your first Dr was doing defeats the purpose of the band.

Happy losing now.

Glad to hear that your visit went well! I can only imagine the relief you are feeling. Sometimes the length of the trip is worth it!

I'm too tight it seems during the day that all I can eat is Soup or liquids then around dinner time I loosen up and can eat soft solids.... If I attempt to eat solids any time other then for dinner then I get stuck and throw up often more then one time a day....

I'm getting so tired of this I'm almost regretting getting the band :(

I have no regrets about the band even though I am not losing as fast as I want.

If you are having trouble with your last fill and feeling too tight and can't eat that's a problem. I know when we're newly banded we feel ...fill, fill that's what I need. My Dr is very conservative with the fills and at first I was so frustrated with it but now I see the wisdom of it because it gives me time to work on my head hunger, emotional issues. I'm not saying that's your problem, this is my issue.

Go on Youtube and see Skymoon82 latest video about not being afraid to get a slight unfill.

I hope you feel better soon.

I have no regrets about the band even though I am not losing as fast as I want.

If you are having trouble with your last fill and feeling too tight and can't eat that's a problem. I know when we're newly banded we feel ...fill, fill that's what I need. My Dr is very conservative with the fills and at first I was so frustrated with it but now I see the wisdom of it because it gives me time to work on my head hunger, emotional issues. I'm not saying that's your problem, this is my issue.

Go on Youtube and see Skymoon82 latest video about not being afraid to get a slight unfill.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks msdeevee....I was over filled back in Nov and had an unfill in Dec...Got a fill in Feb and feel too tight now...

maybe it's stress or Tom or what ever but yeah I may have to make another trip to Mexico to get unfilled if it doesnt let up when the big stress maker in my life leaves...

I work with people with Developmental disabilites they live in my home and I am closing the bizz come April 17 but in the mean time one of the people I take care of has started accusing me of beating her...WTH!!! yeah talk about stress big time having all kinds of authoratises coming to my home in front of my kids asking me if I beat them or the people that live with me!!!

That could be a big cause for my band to clamp shut huh??? <_<

I gained 3.5 pounds last week. I know mine was stress induced eating. Yes, I ate when I wasn't hungry. I turned to food. I need another fill bad, and there isn't a point in getting one because I found out last week that I have to have surgery in April. No point in wasting my money to get a fill only to have to go in a few weeks later to get completely unfilled for the surgery. This surgery business is throwing me for a loop. I knew it was coming, but I wasn't expecting the stress and worry it was going to cause.

Put that on top of not being able to work out because I'm in pain, and I don't have a great combo going. I'm thinking that I might just do 1 mile a day. See if that causes me to much pain.

I'm disgusted with myself. Being disgusted with myself can open up a whole other can of worms.

Thanks msdeevee....I was over filled back in Nov and had an unfill in Dec...Got a fill in Feb and feel too tight now...

maybe it's stress or Tom or what ever but yeah I may have to make another trip to Mexico to get unfilled if it doesnt let up when the big stress maker in my life leaves...

I work with people with Developmental disabilites they live in my home and I am closing the bizz come April 17 but in the mean time one of the people I take care of has started accusing me of beating her...WTH!!! yeah talk about stress big time having all kinds of authoratises coming to my home in front of my kids asking me if I beat them or the people that live with me!!!

That could be a big cause for my band to clamp shut huh??? <_<

Wow, it seems a lot of us are experiencing stress. I just got over a stressful period too . My family came to town and always wants to stay with me. Our lifestyles and beliefs are completely different and I have to walk around my own house on eggshells so as not to have constant tension in my house. When they're here I don't eat on plan and I decide to have a drink every night just to de-stress. I can't eat much with my band now (which I like) but I was eating the wrong things.

I have definitely heard and read that stress causes the band to tighten up so maybe if you just wait out this stressful time it will loosen up. I hope you find at least a couple of things that can sustain you until this trialsome time has passed and it will. Maybe some light Soups or Protein Shakes sipped a little at a time.

Tylee I wish you the best too with your surgery.

well TOM has come and gone and yup my band is a little looser and I can eat solid food again.. :lol:

All though not very much of it and only around dinner time... I am still pretty much on liquids through out the day just cuz it seems my band is tight right after I wake up and for hours after, I have just accepted the fact that my band is tight when I wake up and through out the day then gets loose enough for at least one good meal :D

well TOM has come and gone and yup my band is a little looser and I can eat solid food again.. :lol:

All though not very much of it and only around dinner time... I am still pretty much on liquids through out the day just cuz it seems my band is tight right after I wake up and for hours after, I have just accepted the fact that my band is tight when I wake up and through out the day then gets loose enough for at least one good meal :D

I was given a tip by my former lap band coach to have a cup of hot tea about 1/2 hr before a meal to loosen up my band.

When I'm very conscious of what I'm eating I do that in the am and as soon as I walk into a restaurant I order a cup of hot tea it does seem to help. It doesn't help you to over eat but it lessens the chance of a PB or just not being able to take in more than a bite.

Hi All,

I was banded 8/24/2010. I have an 11cc Realize Band and have 8cc in. I have lost 60 pounds. I feel the band helps, but only I make the choice of what I put in my mouth. That being said I do feed it 2 drinks twice a week. I eat high Protein and low carb. I have drastically cut out sweets and mindless calories ( other than said alcohol)

I was not ready to give up all my fun ;) I wish I was better at keeping up the exercise, but do ride my bike 9 miles 3-4 times a week.

Oh, and I am 59 years old. I am surprised how well the skin is snapping back, especially on my face and neck. I was virtually without wrinkles at 266 pounds, imagine that!

Bonnie

Hey Bonnie, I agree with you 100%!!! I am happy for you, keep up the good work!!!