Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Hi Danide,

I am in the same boat you are in - I have to self pay for my LAP-BAND®® too ! You are being banded the day before me I will be banded on Wednesday.

I also have to pay $16,000 for my band. I am a little apprehensive about paying $16,000 it is a lot of money and I am going thru Care Credit so by the time I pay for it it might end up costing me $22,000 ( I will probably pay it off quick to lower the total ) . BUT I want to change my life so much and get this horrible burden of obesity off me it is worth it. Obesity has effected my life so much I don't even know or can I comprehend a life without obesity yet. BUT it has to be much better. I know its effected my self confidence in great ways. I am not a bad looking guy but I have had no luck with women at all. Even with excess pounds good looking normal weighted women look at me / talk to me but my self confidence is so low and I feel so horrible that I just blow it constantly.

In the last couple of years I have gotten most of my life goals and I have come together pretty well but I suck socially. I have a good job and make good money. I am a nice guy and very dependable. I have gone from entry level at my job to among the top levels at my job of a couple hundred people in a couple of years time. But I still suck socially and I have a weight problem. This is one of my final obstacles in life. I know it isn't going to be easy but I know in the end it will be worth it.

-Brian :biggrin:

Brian,

Thanks for sharing. I totally understand how you feel. Since I put on this weight all I want to do is stay home. I'm embarrassed about how I look. When I'm with friends I don't feel like I fit in. I realize that the only one who cares how I look is me. This surgery will not take away those feelings, but I know as I lose the weight the old me will be back! I'm so looking forward to Sept 28th!.:scared2:

danide -- OMG is right. WOW that is so wonderful and what a great surprise. So HAPPY for you:thumbup::w00t::thumbup::(:lol::scared2::biggrin::mad2:

pooky032281 -- Hi pooky how are you feeling today? Only 2 weeks of liquid - I'm jealous.

sunny day -- On the ticker I copied and pasted the html in the section where you can write stuff. For example mine says when I started, when I was approved and surgery date. Underneath the surgery date, I just pasted that whole thing. The September Sweeties, I just added through the instructions. If you have any troubles let us know.

leeblewb -- Hi Leila glad you finally heard from Cigna. Looks like several here are getting great news today. It's amazing how our emotions are put to the test during this process. Again, I am happy that part is over for you.

Hi CSinTX ( Cathy ),

I am wondering if I should go to a final dinner with a special friend ( woman I am in love / lust with but who triggers some emotional eating ) or just flush my old life / get ready for my new start. Decisions. Decisions. arrggggh.

-Brian :biggrin:

Well, Brian, you have come to the right place! I think there are a lot of single people here who feel the same way that you do about dating. I just got out of a relationship that I stayed in for too long because I was just so grateful that someone wanted me. I'm 10 days pre-op and I can't wait for the changes that are coming. The biggest one being self-confidence. I tell myself that I am confident all the time, but I don't think it is something I truly feel.

As to the emotional eating trigger girl, DITCH HER. You don't need anything derailing you right now. You are so close! Eyes on the prize, my man! (Liquid diet starvation sure does make me bossy!)

finally home, been a rough two days. had the band in yesterday at 9ish, went from recovery to have the upperGI and didn't pass, long story and three hours thinking this was it, I was dying, dr came in and took me back in surgery to loosen the band. during this surgery my o2 sats fell out so had other MD anesthetists called in and spent about 4 more hours in recovery and then overnight in the hospital. Dr explained that the incisions would be sorer than most b/c of having to open them twice. BUT I can swallow now. o2 is back and a tummy pillow is my best friend. itll be better in a few days I'm sure. Wanted to update you all

finally home, been a rough two days. had the band in yesterday at 9ish, went from recovery to have the upperGI and didn't pass, long story and three hours thinking this was it, I was dying, dr came in and took me back in surgery to loosen the band. during this surgery my o2 sats fell out so had other MD anesthetists called in and spent about 4 more hours in recovery and then overnight in the hospital. Dr explained that the incisions would be sorer than most b/c of having to open them twice. BUT I can swallow now. o2 is back and a tummy pillow is my best friend. itll be better in a few days I'm sure. Wanted to update you all

Oh My... you went through hell! :scared2: Im sorry you had that experience but I am certainly glad that you are doing better now! :biggrin: Thanks for letting us know!

1. How long after surgery will you be on liquids?

2. How long will you be on mushies?

3. At what week can you move to regular food?

My answers:

1- 2 weeks

2- 2 weeks

3- 5th week I can eat regular

Edited by danide

Wow - I am continually amazed by everyone on this tread. Everyone is so supportive and it feels like a family!

Danide -- what a wonderful blessing!! So happy for you.

Brian -- I think you will find that many of us have alot of the same feelings that you do. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever feel better about myself but all I can do is the necessary work (both physically and mentally/emotionally) to try to get healthier and believe that the end result will be better than what I am living now.

Cathy - my post op will be one week full liquid, 1 week soft food and then back to solids. First fill at 4 weeks.

pre-op will be shake for bk & lunch and high prot, low carb/fat (350-400 cal) for supper for 2 weeks.

Right now I am waiting to hear from my new insurance co. -- my coordinator said I should have an answer by the end of next week. Tentative surgery date is Sept 27th.

Funny thing happened this week -- Monday Aug 31st was supposed to be my surgery date -- my youngest son just started 1st grade last week and he had a major incident at school on Monday that had to be dealt with immediately. If I had had my surgery as planned I would not have been able to take care of him like I needed to. I believe that things happen for a reason - maybe that was part of the reason why my surgery was delayed. ??!! God is never surprised by the things that happen to us. We just have to trust Him to help us work it out.

Sorry, sort of rambling here -- hope everyone is doing well! I continue to keep all of you in my prayers.

Take care, Wendy

danide -- OMG is right. WOW that is so wonderful and what a great surprise. So HAPPY for you:thumbup::w00t::thumbup::(:lol::scared2::biggrin::mad2:

pooky032281 -- Hi pooky how are you feeling today? Only 2 weeks of liquid - I'm jealous.

sunny day -- On the ticker I copied and pasted the html in the section where you can write stuff. For example mine says when I started, when I was approved and surgery date. Underneath the surgery date, I just pasted that whole thing. The September Sweeties, I just added through the instructions. If you have any troubles let us know.

leeblewb -- Hi Leila glad you finally heard from Cigna. Looks like several here are getting great news today. It's amazing how our emotions are put to the test during this process. Again, I am happy that part is over for you.

Hey Cathy,

I am feeling okay today, the gas pains are terrible, but bearable. I got home about 10am this morning, and have just laid around the house being lazy bones since then. Did you have a hard time getting in all the Fluid and the Protein the first couple days after? I feel like I'm forcing fluids, but I don't want to get dehydrated either! Thanks for asking about me...how are you doing????

Hey Cathy,

I am feeling okay today, the gas pains are terrible, but bearable. I got home about 10am this morning, and have just laid around the house being lazy bones since then. Did you have a hard time getting in all the Fluid and the Protein the first couple days after? I feel like I'm forcing fluids, but I don't want to get dehydrated either! Thanks for asking about me...how are you doing????

I have had no problems getting anything down. Sometimes I wonder if the band came undone. I catch myself gulping my tea and I have never felt any kind of restriction but I am good for 6 hours on 1 Protein Shake, so I guess something is working.

I do drink all day long and pee all day as well. My doc told me to make sure that I drink enough for my pee to be a pale yellow. He said each person is different and so do just fine keeping their bodies hydrated with less Water. The doc also told me that there is nothing in my band and I go in next Wednesday (8th) for my first fill.

I developed a new issue today.

My belly is driving me crazy. It tingles which makes me scratch it and then it tingles more. It's like a bug bite, that vicious circle.

So what does a VERY itchy belly (meaning my incisions) mean?

Cathy

I developed a new issue today.

My belly is driving me crazy. It tingles which makes me scratch it and then it tingles more. It's like a bug bite, that vicious circle.

So what does a VERY itchy belly (meaning my incisions) mean?

Cathy

Means they're healing! :biggrin:

I am so excited and a little nervous...my journey will begin on Sept. 29. It feels more real.

Ericka

Northa Carolina

I'm getting banded on 09/10/10 :biggrin:

Hi All,

-Cathy: I am glad you are getting back to normal. How is eating / drinking BTW ? Do you feel the band in there ? I hope all is well and you have a a great Saturday.

-Danide: I wish I was so lucky ! But in reality I am pretty lucky I have a good job that pays me way too much for what I do. And in actuality although my health insurance does not have any whatsoever bariatric benefits ... it is still extraordinary health insurance. I am part of the Motion Picture Industry Health Plan and although we don't have bariaitric benefits it is pretty great everywhere else. Doctors and Hospitals LOVE to see my health insurance card. Of course I wish I didn't have to pay $16,000 but it will be worth it.

-Lillyegg: Hi ! Well I didn't ditch her because I didn't really land her. We are " special friends " but as much as I do Love her she won't commit and maybe its for the best. I do tell myself I should move on and maybe I will. But yes we do have a Saturday night dinner date and I have told her about my upcoming surgery / I won't be going out with her to dinners / lunches or breakfasts for awhile and when I do it will be about two decks of cards worth. :biggrin: If I find that my " relationship " with her is making me go sideways I will have to be something I am usually not - selfish and ditch her. I always look out for other people and try to help them and not help myself - I am usually the guy who gives and gives and gives but I think it is my time be a little selfish and take care of myself first for once.

-Newbs: Yeah I feel exactly the same way. You mentioned about how when you are with friends that you sometimes feel you don't fit in. I feel that way almost all the time. A lot of times I feel like a fraud or just an observer in life and not actually taking part in it. I think in the last decade I managed to take myself out of society so much that it will take some herculean effort to bring me back into it. I sometimes feel like I have been in solitary confinement since I graduated college. I have slowly been coming back into it but it is ever so slow. I think this is probably why my friend who is a pretty extraordinary woman and is beautiful inside and out probably doesn't commit or go further in our relationship. She is waaaaay too good for me. She is waaaaay out of my league. I don't have a league. I am not even playing ! At this point I wouldn't commit either and I wonder why she even spends any time with me at all. But I will get better both inside and out. It will just take some time. :scared2:

-Brian :thumbup:

Edited by Brian-LA

My journey began last summer and finally more than a year later I am happy to say my surgery is scheduled for Sept 30th. :biggrin:

SUGGESTION-

As of October 1, when we are ALL banded. We should start a new thread for our post-op journey. Skill keep the name September 2010 but no more Looking for.... What do you all think. Start a fresh thread?

Have a happy weekend everyone! For those newly banded, heal fast and well! :biggrin:

See you on Monday!