Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling down

I have my seminar on the 30th and very excited to get the ball rolling. I talked to my doctor’s office and asked if I could get the surgery done in January, Sometime, because I am self-pay. They said absolutely. Good news so far. I sent out my loan info a week ago and was turned down. I am still going to the seminar but feel like I shouldn't bother. I mean with out my loan I am without the band. She said then we will just keep trying. (gotta love that women) My mom is going to try to see if she can step in. But like me her credit isn't the best. I feel like I am falling deeper in a hole and can't get out. I have struggled for so long with my weight. All my thin friends keep saying I can do it by myself. I try to explain that I know I can lose it myself. But the question is for how long. Its not like I have never lost weight, and put it back on, plus an extra 30lbs. Not to mention I look at my family. They are all struggling with their weight. They have major health problems. I don't want to battle my health and weight for the rest of my life. I just want to be healthy and look fabulous being healthy. Sorry this is turning into a rant. Even my family that is large, thinks I should just diet, like them. FOREVER!!! I want a tool that is going to change my habits, and not allow me to fall back in to all my bad habits. I am not expecting a miracle I realize it is a tool. But I know a tool is what will work for me. I am tiered of the yoyo. I have been on here a while and feel like if anyone can understand its all of you. Well all in all I am going to keep trying to get this loan. I have no insurance so that is why the loan is my option. I will tell you this if I have to hit up Santa Claus or give the Easter bunny a lap dance than that is my next move. My mom always says that things work out in the end. So I will keep that in mind. Wow, I feel better just sharing this with you guys. Thanks for listening. xoxo

Hedwig, Feeling down is normal and it will pass. I am 50 and just getting started on being healthy so you are miles ahead of me, give yourself credit for that! Also, start saving if you cant get a loan, you just might get friends to be generous Santas! Keep your thoughts on what is unseen, soon you will get what you need. Its just the definition of soon that may change. ok?

Got anything you can EBAY or pawn? Ask for donations from friends or relatives. I understand where you are at. I worked for three years before I got insureance back trying to get a loan to pay for my lapband. Luckily I got a job that has insurance and they paid for it. I was prepared to put a 2nd mortage on our house to have this done. Thank god I never had to reveal that to my hubby...talk about a man with a crazy look in his eyes...lol. I wish all the best in your pursuit, please don't give up, there is an option out there for you, it just may take different route than you thought. *huggs*

thanks everyone. Trust me the words "giving up" are not even in my vocab. and thanks for the hugs banded.

Believe me, I know what you are going through. It took me 3 years to fight insurance, then look for self-pay options. Hang in there and good luck!

~pamela.

It really depends on the part of the country you are from. You can go to Mexico for from $7500-10500 if that is an option. Salt Lake City is $12,000. That is the most reasonable I've found out here near Boise, Idaho. Seattle is outrageous, as they quoted me between $24,000 and $35,000. Portland is $17,000. I think you have to start calling phone numbers to dr's. near your area. I'm probably going to travel the 5 hours to Salt Lake which is a very short distance by plane. I still have Mexico in my mind as a backup plan, so until after the holidays I'm not making definite decisions.

I hope this helps you somewhat. It is only in the areas in which I live. I bet other people on the board could help you from just about all over the country that were self-pay. I hear Dallas/Fort Worth are reasonable also.

Don't give up. I'm still searching myself, and if something is important enough something will work out. I've seen several sites where you can work out payments. Google some of the lap band sites on the internet; make some calls, most have 800 numbers, and find out if you can make payments. Maybe you can just come up with a down payment, but for gosh sakes don't give up.

Lots of luck to you.

I don't plan on giving up. It is a tough one though. I wish I still had insurance. that might have been a great option. Over here in Downers Grove IL. the band at the wish center is 10,850 and an extra 1,000 for visits and fills. not bad if I say so. I am going to try using my mom and a co signer in a couple of weeks. I'll just keep on trying. I am lucky to have her in my life. She supports my descision. But I decided to go closet with the rest of my family. anywho, I am keeping a good attitude.

Hedwig (love the name btw) that sucks. But don't lose hope! It's November and you have until January. Keep your spirits up and the innovations coming.

Good for you, keeping a good attitude, that will get you through most if not all difficulties in life. I'm glad you're not caving in, I often tell folks that finding the right surgeon who will either take your insurance without a hassle, getting approval from the insurance and jumping through their hoops or having to come up with the money for self-pay, some how some way, is the most difficult part of this whole process, more often than not.

I know there are people who have had problems with their bands for one reason or another, and believe me my heart goes out to each and every one of them. But I think the majority of us haven't had a problem, and I mean something other than PB's, or being too tight, things that are easily preventable and/or resolved easily. I myself went through the surgery like it was nothing, no recovery time at all and have never had a serious problem, thank God!!!! Everyone is different, but I wasn't the healthiest person when I had the surgery, diabetes 10 yrs+, heart attack, heart disease and a few others not worth mentioning. Yet this was a cakewalk for me, go figure. There is no way of knowing how you will react to the surgery, but hopefully yours will be as uneventful as mine was. I say it's still worth fighting for and looking into every option possible. But as I have pointed out, I am absolutely one of the extremely lucky ones. Hope you will be too.

Good luck and I hope you find your answer sooner rather than later.

Cindy