Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any May 2010 Bandsters?

I'm really having some second thoughts. I went to see the nutrionist last week and since that day I've lost 11.5 pounds. I am a little tired but otherwise I am having no problems with it. I know I know - can I keep doing this - I don't know. The problem is - I am a self pay guy and I have the money - but putting out that much is going to take away some critical reserves and with the economy being the way it is - do I not owe it to myself to try one more time. I'll tell you the best thing I've done is buy the computer program to log weight, calories etc. (sorry can't remember the name of it, it's on my home laptop (Planfit or something like that - the logo is an apple core). The thought of having to log something bad really keeps me honest. I've got into doing miles again, at least once a day sometimes twice. Almost $18K is a lot of money - I've never been able to be consistent in the past so what makes me think I have a chance this time. Maybe the fear of writing that check or maybe the disappointment in having to enter a bad day's food intake on the log is enough to do it. Don't know - but I am having serious second thoughts. By the way - I have a date the 27th.

I'm really having some second thoughts. Almost $18K is a lot of money.

I am self pay also, and I've had some serious second thoughts!! We actually sold our home, and moved in with my mom so we could afford it. I went yesterday and paid for it. It hurt!! Lol- But I DO owe it to myself, and to my family. What good is the money going to do you, if you're not around to enjoy it? For me, my health issues aren't bad right now- But my family history is horrible, and I am so self-conscious, I don't want to leave the house. Everyone is paying for my fat. From my son, not having me come to class parties, and the kids telling him what a fat mom he has- to my husband, that isn't allowed to touch my stomach, or (heaven forbid) see me naked.

Yes, it's a butt load of money, in a horrible economy. Yes, I have failed at diet after diet (exercise programs, pills, "lifestyle changes")- But the Lap Band isn't like ANY of those things. It is a tool we have never had before. For 1- Knowing you paid that much money, and sacrificed for it, will help you stick with it. For 2- The Lap Band will help stop the eating, and the non-stop hunger!

I honestly believe I can stick with this- And I believe it will be worth the money. You can do it too!! Just think about it- What's more important to you- Having $ in the bank? Or having a longer life?

Fast forward to the day you are going to die... Say that you are standing there, and God says "Today, you are going to pass on. If you had of got the Lap Band, and got healthy, you would be able to go on living for another 5-10 years" Seriously... Would that money in the bank be worth it??

That's how I have been thinking about it. Hopefully it helps you-

I just started a thread that was very similar. My health issues are minimal but I want to not want to avoid all social situations because of my size. It is really encouraging to read your posts, Malysa. I feel just like you and have failed at many diets, hopefully starting May 13 things will change.

I just started a thread that was very similar. My health issues are minimal but I want to not want to avoid all social situations because of my size. It is really encouraging to read your posts, Malysa. I feel just like you and have failed at many diets, hopefully starting May 13 things will change.

You're getting yours done the day before me! Good luck!! :thumbup:)

I cant find the slim fast high Protein low carb anywhere anymore! I google it and realized there was a recall on it, but I have heard some people are using it still. I liked the slim fast, and they were easy to bring around!

Yikes- I did not know about the recall. I found the Slim Fast High Protein at Tom Thumb. I live in Texas and don't know what other states they are in but they are part of Safeway.

I started my pre-op diet on Monday the 3rd and will have my surgery on Monday the 17th.

I really can't believe how easy this pre-op diet is so far, I was dreading it so bad. Yeah, I want some pizza but I'm not going crazy with cravings. I've lost five pounds since Monday and am feeling great. :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone on their surgeries! :thumbup:

I started my pre-op the same day for the 17th surgery. I am in shock how easy the pre-op diet is too! I have read such horror stories about it and i feel like I am doing something wrong! I have lost 10 pounds since monday and thats nuts! Hoping to lose another 10 by surgery day!

Yikes- I did not know about the recall. I found the Slim Fast High Protein at Tom Thumb. I live in Texas and don't know what other states they are in but they are part of Safeway.

This was about 4 months ago that I couldnt find them, and then I went to jewel the other day and looked again, no luck! We have dominicks which is part of safeway, maybe I will check there! If they are selling them, they cant be recalled anymore.

LOL i'm right there with ya! I just got my surgery date yesterday and its may 7th! I'm planning out all my fav foods to eat before surgery!

so quick you got your date i started the process last september and just got my surgery date for may 17. i have put some weight back on and dr' says if i dont; lose it the surgery will be post-poned. very frustrated

I'm scheduled for surgery on May 27th in Mexico. I'm self-pay and it is the best option for me. The key is to feel comfortable with who you're going to and what you're doing. My only pre-op diet instructions are and:

broth, Jell-O, yogurt, sugar-free juice, any clear liquid, Boost, or Slim-Fast. NO SOLIDS of any kind.

I'm going to be on it for 5-7 days. 3 days before I'm instructed to take a laxative. I think that's what makes me the most nervous!

Excited and know I can do it. I'm 315ish pounds and was down to 190 through exercise and diet 4 years ago and had maintained it for 4 years and THEN I got married and started gaining it all back. 60 lbs in a year. yikes. It's time to get back to where I was. It's time for confidence in who I am and who I'd like to be. Much of it comes from what I look like. Not saying I have a low self-esteem, I just know how much happier I am when I look better and feel better.

Good luck to everyone!

Also, if you ARE self pay, what made you decide to do it locally vs. going to Mexico?

I'm going to Mexico for a couple reasons:

1. They've been doing it longer and have great experience AND are certified by LapBand manufacturers.

2. Money. Mine is less than $5,000. Were I to do it locally, I was quoted $12,500.

I'm in Kansas City and have already found a post-operative doctor to do my fills.

I'm ready for this!

Sounds like you've done your homework and are comfortable with your decision. Good luck and I'll look forward to reading your posts. I had surgery 2 days ago and flew home the day after surgery (short flight) and feel really good today.

Katie

Also, if you ARE self pay, what made you decide to do it locally vs. going to Mexico?

I am doing my local because of one main reason. Anxiety :o/

There is no way I could fly to Mexico by myself for it. I have a 7 y/o, and I don't think I could leave him here. Even if only for a week. Between my normal anxiety, and the anxiety I would have over leaving 1.The country, and 2.My son, I would freak out!!! Lol-

It is a HUGE price difference though! I paid $15,500! Maybe Mexico would have been the better choice. I just don't think I could have done it.

GOOD LUCK!!:)

HI FLorida Boy - I have a couple of comments - first, let's be honest, the whole fear of writing something down that is bad will go away. You will stop recording all of your food. It's just the way it is. It might not happen for a few months, but when it does, will how you feel be enough to get you back on track? At 59 have your been struggling with weight your entire life or is it fairly recent? If the former chances are pretty good you know it's probably just wishful thinking to think you can do it and keep it off this time. I say this because I am 58 and in the same situation - self-pay and losing weight on the pre-op with little to no difficulty. But what I know about myself is that I am all or nothing - there doesn't seem to be an in between for me so I can lose weight but the moment I fall off the wagon I fall off big time. Portion Control goes out the window and poor food choices fly right in. That's why I have decided the lapband is the tool for me. I could be wrong - my surgery is in 2 weeks but I am willing to take that chance.

On the self-pay, if you can fly you might consider Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado. Even flying here, staying a day or two you will pay quite a bit less than almost 18K. His surgery is just under 10K and he does quite a few long distance patients. He is doing my surgery but I have nothing to gain from recommending him :)

Good luck and keep up the great work.

I am doing my local because of one main reason. Anxiety :o/

There is no way I could fly to Mexico by myself for it. I have a 7 y/o, and I don't think I could leave him here. Even if only for a week. Between my normal anxiety, and the anxiety I would have over leaving 1.The country, and 2.My son, I would freak out!!! Lol-

It is a HUGE price difference though! I paid $15,500! Maybe Mexico would have been the better choice. I just don't think I could have done it.

GOOD LUCK!!:)

Thanks! I can totally understand the anxiety! I first started looking into surgery last November and have FINALLY gotten my act together to schedule it. What was holding me up was getting a passport and I think I was holding off to mentally prepare myself.

Originally my husband was going to come with me to Mexico but we decided to save money and I'll go alone. But really, I'm not going to be alone. There are 7 other people flying in that day to have surgery with my Dr. and so we'll have an instant support group and people who will REALLY understand. Now, if it were just me by myself and having to navigate from the airport in San Diego and down to the facility in Mexico...that might be another story. Safety in numbers!

Good luck to all who are having surgery soon or have recently had it. Success is only a band away.

Just got my date- May 14!! Start my pre-op diet tomorrow!

I would love to find a weight loss buddy that is getting their surgery the same day as me. Someone to text when I'm too sore to get up and on the computer!!

I'm a texter too. I have Alltel and live in VA but love me some texting.

I'm a texter too. I have Alltel and live in VA but love me some texting.

I sent you a PM- You'll probably be sore as crap, and not feel like texting when I have mine done! LOL-

You can lie to me and tel me that it's not that bad, so I will worry less. Ha ha-