Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what have you done because you were embarrased of your weight?

A friend and I were discussing what things we had done because we were ashamed of our weight and eating habits. Hopefully I'll never do any of these now that I am banded! Anyways, here's a few of mine to start out:

1. Shopped at Lane Bryant and turned the bag inside out so I didn't have to carry the bad around the mall and have everyone know I was plus size (like they can't tell anyways.....)

2. Order fast food to take home or to the office and get more and eat it in the car and throw away the wrapper so when you get to home or office it looks like you are only eating a "normal" amount.

3. trying to be really quiet when opening the fridge or a wrapper so noone will hear

4. cut the labels out of all of my clothes out of fear a tag would stick out accidentally and people would see how fat I really am!

Ooohhh - good thread.

1. I've ordered an extra drink in the fast food drive thru so that the workers wouldn't know that I was eating all of the food myself. I'm also guilty of hiding the wrappers from numerous extra cheeseburgers and mcchicken sandwiches...

2. I'm have a nervous habit of constantly tugging at the back of my shirt so that it won't cling to my butt (as if my butt magically disappears when I pull my shirt out a little). :(

3. I've sat crammed into a booth that was cutting into my stomach rather than ask for a table at a restaurant. I've also wedged myself into small chairs and endured the sides cutting into my hips rather than bring attention to myself by asking for a different chair.

I have avoided going to things that I want to because I am embarrassed. Like riding a roller coaster, I want to sooo bad, but not sure if the lap bar will fit so I avoid it.

MY life is more about what I don't do... :(

I've ordered extra food and eaten it in the car

Been quiet about opening a wrapper or the fridge so as not to get caught

Disposed of the trash from boxes of fruit Snacks I bought that never made it to the house

I had a job where I wore an apron, which is fortunate because the zipper popped on my pants one day, so I just wore them that way

Bought cake mix with frosting, to go home and throw the cake mix in the cupboard and eat the frosting!

Good thread. I'll have to think of more.

Years ago, when I was much younger, I use to stop at a drive through, gobble the food down before I got home and pretend I wasn't hungry for dinner. Oh yeah, I've eased the fridge door open too.

Oh yeah, I use to order my kids big meals because I knew they couldn't eat it all and then I'd eat mine and what was left of theirs, waste not want not.

I'm a weird fat woman. If I want to just eat frosting, I just buy frosting.

I've never done that extra food eating thing, and I've only hidden food to keep my DH and son from eating the entire package in one sitting.

I have not ridden on some rides because I've been afraid of my weight and not have the bar fit around my big tummy. It's awfully embarassing to have to get off a ride.

I have not asked for a seatbelt extender when I could have used one.

This is a great post . reading all of these thing makes me realize I was trying to hide things to . opening the chip bad very slowing , OH and so many other things .. it was sad .

I can't believe how many things we all have in common!!!

--ordering a extra drink at fast food so they didn't think I was going to eat it all--omg I would order a large coke and a small coke.

I would have a LARGE pizza delivered to my house (lived alone) and then when they came to the door I would call upstairs to "Jimmy" that the pizza was here!

Stop for fast food and then throw wrapers away before I got home. said I wasn't hungry! :(

Tried to open chip bags quietly and get out a handfull quietly! NOT POSSIBLE! Did you notice that when you try to open it slowly and quietly that it is only LOUDER!!

Sat in a booth and not breathing. didn't want to ask for table

cut off tags on shirts

I could go on and on!!! :( :( this thread has made me feel better, now I know I am not alone!! THANK YOU!!!

I've totally done the order an extra drink thing and when I was single I would get 2 pizzas b/c I wanted two flavors and I would yell "honey, pizza's here" before opening the door. I have also hidden fast food in my purse or hidden the wrappers in my purse and thrown them away in an out of the way trash can. I guess this thread is liberating b/c we are not alone, and we will all fight this demon together!

I confess I own a seam ripper! Makes it so easy to take off the size labels!

The two drink thing I thought I was the ONLY one who did that. That is just bizarre to me that so many of you have done that too. I have Totally ordered the largest pizza and pretended it was family night! I have also bought a dozen donuts for the "family" but they NEVER got any. LOL Kind of sad in a way but that WAS my life. A reality check is what this thread is. I don't want to ever go back to those habits again, EVER!!!

Hi, I have really done all of these things and more..

I cut the tags, hidden food, sneak food.< /p>

I also have this constant addiction for pulling the front of my shirt, like people will not see my big tummyif I do that.

I am also sorry to say when I was young I would bing and purge.

I really had to gauge if a chair could hold me or not, and if they were low I could not get out of them very scary.

thanks for sharing.....

I didn't go to my high school reunion even though I am smashing success because of my weight. I have SO many other success but the weight was the one that meant the most. The good news is I used a trip to Vegas as my reason for not going. I got to see Elton John. The sad thing is I wished I would have gone. BUT ELton John was GREAT.

I was one of the fat girls who didnt know she was fat-I thought I hid it well and was quite snazzy looking still til I saw a full on photo and about died-I never go home to visit my family cause friends from high school might see me-my reunion is coming up in june and im desperate to lose by then.

I never had to hide food as Im not a big eater-I just eat junk-I even now go 24-36 hours without eating and it doesnt bother me-but when I would eat itd be junk.Im working on that.