Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Numbing medication with fills

Did you get numbing medication with your fill?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get numbing medication with your fill?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not got a fill yet

I must have a great nurse who does my fills. Never have had a numbing med and never feel anything.

I asked my dermatologist for some lidocaine. He gave me a prescription. I rub it on one hour before my appointment. Then he said to cover it with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap makes it work a little better. About 10 minutes before the fill I rub on just a little more.

No pain at all. My doctor is very good at fills anyway. One time I forgot the lidocaine. It did hurt but not really bad. He does use the smaller needles, not the large one that some of you talk about.

I think most any PCP or doctor might give a prescription for lidocaine. It works great and no need for the extra needle stick.

It can't hurt to ask. I am of the no pain approach!!!!!

Have a great day guys,

i am a needle phob and had my 1st fill and it was a tiny needle but was still very uncomfortable for me...the nurse wrote me a prescription fro EMLA CREAM to put on the are 30 minutes before :thumbup:

I use a satellite office to get my fills, so the doctor giving it to me isn't always the same. One doctor, though (whom I loved and no longer works at the satellite office), refused to use numbing meds. He said that if it's done right, the doctor should only have to put the needle in ONE time...and he did, every time. It never hurt when he did it, and his accuracy was spot on. Less experienced docs tend to give me the numbing meds (via a shot with a tiny needle), then poke a few times before they find my port...

The fills don't hurt so much. It's the unfills that hurt! Maybe I'm just a wuss.

OMG! I couldn't imagine having a fill without numbing meds! The small little needle they use to numb you feels like a very small shot doesn't hurt at all. but that big needle they use to do the fill..OMG I just couldn't imagine..I would not let them touch me unless they numbed me first!! That's just barbaric.

My doctor uses either Derma Jet or some kind of Cold Spray. He sprays the port area while he sticks the needle in. You dont even feel it. I have had it with and without the spray. I perfer the spray but not really a big deal without the spray.

I went for my first fill yesturday, and I didnt get numbing medication. i didnt even think to ask. i wish i had though. It was a little painful, and after he stuck me the first time, he told me he had to get a longer needle! The second time hurt worse. but it wasnt too too bad. I may have to ask about it next time.

Hi, I had my 2nd fill on 9/1/10 with numbing med and it was still uncomfortable. I can't imagine getting a fill without it. :smile:

I have had 3 fills and no numbing, really do not feel much when they do it. Not sure why anyone would want to get a "numbing shot" to get a shot. Defeats the purpose of not feeling a shot??

I've had 6 fills. I have only been numbed once. It was when a real Dr. did the fill. LOL! Go figure. My PA is quick and painless. The Dr. dug around and stuck me several times. Claimed my port was turned. My PA said it's flat and right where it should be.

What?

Anyway... sting only from PA, numbing shot and very sore for days from Dr.

Only let PA do fills now.

The fills don't hurt so much. It's the unfills that hurt! Maybe I'm just a wuss.

Isn't that strange??? I dont have much pain with fills, but after yesterday's UNfill, I was in pain for a few hours after! Go figure! :eek:

I too raised this same question

My fill hurt like no bodies business!

Yes they did use rather large needles.

I was told in order to get the numbing medication I would have to get 2 shots with the same needle....

"Ahhh Heck no!"

I bear down and clinch my hands and take it for the team. It's only once a month and when you get to your sweet spot it's almost never. So take the pain in stride and get ready for your new wardrobe!

AMEN SISTER!

For me, I dont mind the stick of the needle, its the digging around he does that sometimes leaves me sore AFTER for a few hours...

Hi, Had my first fill today. Ditto on the Lidocane and the GIANT needle. Not too bad cause it's quick, but not a very pleasant thing.Unfortunately there is a problem with my port. Injecting saline went well, but drawing it out didn't happen. I feel kind of down since I have to go in for an xray etc to find out why it's not working right :)

When I first got banded I was so terrified of the needle I had them numb me and eventually I got over that fear that I no longer get numbed. I found it was less painful to not get numbed than it was to get numbed.