Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it hits me...... No Beer!

So let me start out by saying that I drink alcohol maybe 2-3 times a year. A six pack will go bad in my fridge before I drink it all if I buy it. With that said I do enjoy an occasional ice cold beer. I was sitting on the side of the bed this morning just thinking and it hit me.... No more beer. I am early in he process so i'm sure plenty of other things will hit me as well. I just tell myself that the advantages of being small far outweigh anything I may feel I miss.

I just loved the title of this posting! Sometimes we realize what we are giving up, but others get us by surprise. We get so much more in return, though.

Amen, Brotha!

Well, I do not drink at all, but as far as never having beer again ... I don't believe VSG is a death sentence to enjoying an occasional brew. My Dr told me no alcohol for the first 6 months, and you'll read postings on here from folks saying they are just empty calories. Well, if we made a list of all the foods we still do eat which are empty calories, I would need a larger monitor to see them all. Much larger. Then, of course, there is the carbonation factor. Going on 3 years out, I enjoy the occasional root beer or a few sips of Sprite. The carbonation definitely restricts the size of gulps I can take, but I still enjoy them.

But, back in the day when I did drink, as I recall, a nice porter or stout didn't have the carbonation of the lagers. I would think a Guinness on occasion would fill the need. I'm sure @@Madam Reverie would agree.

Well, I do not drink at all, but as far as never having beer again ... I don't believe VSG is a death sentence to enjoying an occasional brew. My Dr told me no alcohol for the first 6 months, and you'll read postings on here from folks saying they are just empty calories. Well, if we made a list of all the foods we still do eat which are empty calories, I would need a larger monitor to see them all. Much larger. Then, of course, there is the carbonation factor. Going on 3 years out, I enjoy the occasional root beer or a few sips of Sprite. The carbonation definitely restricts the size of gulps I can take, but I still enjoy them.

But, back in the day when I did drink, as I recall, a nice porter or stout didn't have the carbonation of the lagers. I would think a Guinness on occasion would fill the need. I'm sure @@Madam Reverie would agree.

I do love me an occasional black and tan.. Just more black, less tan I guess

Edited by Gettinsmall

I'm 8 months out, almost to goal, and I have an occasional brew. My favorite is angry orchard apple cider. It's beer but tastes like apple cider, I can't stand the taste of beer, lol! I've also had some Mike's hard lemonades, but they are to carbonated for me.

<Lifts her head in a meerkat fashion at the mention of Guinness>

'Black Gold'.

Drink of the gods.

I drink 4 or 5 of those every 1-2 weeks.

It's the law, don'tcha know.... :blink:

Miss the beer

I also miss my Corona Lite. Now I make do with a glass of wine. I will have a sip of hubbys beer when out to eat and that satisfies me fine.

Not sure if carbonation actually stretches ur stomach or not (my dr says it does) but I picture my stomach exploding so that usually keeps me in check...

I don't think an occasional beer will hurt u. But I wouldn't make it a regular thing...

I'm 5 months out and I can have a cold beer if I like.............. I even asked the doctor and he said as long as I don't make it a habit, since beer as bad calories..... But the day that I now that I might want a drink, I just eat different through out the day........

I'm 8 months out, almost to goal, and I have an occasional brew. My favorite is angry orchard apple cider. It's beer but tastes like apple cider, I can't stand the taste of beer, lol! I've also had some Mike's hard lemonades, but they are to carbonated for me.

Haha soul mates! Love the angry orchard have you tried the one with Ginger? Also,

Johnny Appleseed rock as well. One cider is all I can handle if I can even finish it.

Haha soul mates! Love the angry orchard have you tried the one with Ginger? Also, Johnny Appleseed rock as well. One cider is all I can handle if I can even finish it.

I've not even seen the ginger! Ooh, I bet that's good!

I rarely finish a whole bottle, it gets warm before I can...I've started getting a cold glass about half way through to keep it cold, lol!

I've not seen the Johnny Appleseed either, new things to try for sure!!!

Thanks, I think, lol!!!!

I missed beer, too. Used to love craft beers. This weekend I decided to let a beer go flat and then try it. To my surprise I found I didn't like it at all. Tossed the bottle after one sip. Guess I won't miss beer anymore after all.

Not such a bad thing in the end, as good craft beer is loaded with carbs.

A beer once a week is my one and only cheat. I am 4 months out from surgery and have been having a beer on the weekend when the wife and I go to the local craft beer pub. I usually only drink stouts so the carbonation is not as as bad. I swirl the glass alot at first to kill most of the carbonation. And I drink it so slowly that by the time I finish my one beer my wife and friends who go with me usually finish 2 or 3.