Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey February 2010 Bandsters!

I'm getting banded the 22nd, Monday. I started the pre-op diet last Monday and have lost 5 pounds in four days, with three days to go. The first two days were hell, but pretty soon I got used to it. Eating non-sugar Jello, non-sugar pudding, broth, skim milk, non-sweetened juice, non-sugar yogurt and Unjury Protein Powder with Crystal Lite. Also had some leafy greens with non-fat Salad Dressing and raw carrots.

This week I was super anxious about the surgery and life with the band, but I seem to be more calm today. I was most worried about pain and discomfort after surgery, but you can get through anything for a couple of days I guess.

When I found out I was approved for surgery I was excited and depressed. I imagined "I am breaking up with food." Get lost cheeze doodles, candy bars, and Klondike bars. You've not been good to me so I'm breaking up with ya. I'm about to enter a healthier relationship with food, which is what I need to stay alive and well. I've tried many times before but now I'll have the band to help protect me from going back to my bad relationship.

Well, good luck everyone. Hope you all heal quickly.

Sharon,

I love your comparison of breaking up with a friend who was cruel and NOT your true friend. Very insightful.

We will be banded the SAME DAY.

Success to both of us and all our new friends here.

JC in Kansas City

I am Officially BANDED! WooHoo! Was banded yesterday Feb 18th. Surgery was Supposed to be at 3:30pm but they called me at 12pm to come in early, and they were all standing around waiting for me when I got in...so needless to say everything went soo fast, lol. I am however in a lot of pain. The port site is sore, and i have alot of pain to my left chest and in the diaphragm area, which is most likely gas. But they sent me home with a script for vicodin and it is definitely taking the edge off. Cant wait to feel myself again, but I am so happy it is done and over with. I know this was the right decision, it just sux feeling so crappy. And as for eating/drinking....i honestly want nothing to do with it. I have only managed to get down an ice pop and a half a bottle of Water today. I will try some broth in a little bit maybe ill have better luck. Congrats to those banded and who will be banded this month- we are all part of this journey together!!!

I am Officially BANDED! WooHoo! Was banded yesterday Feb 18th. Surgery was Supposed to be at 3:30pm but they called me at 12pm to come in early, and they were all standing around waiting for me when I got in...so needless to say everything went soo fast, lol. I am however in a lot of pain. The port site is sore, and i have alot of pain to my left chest and in the diaphragm area, which is most likely gas. But they sent me home with a script for vicodin and it is definitely taking the edge off. Cant wait to feel myself again, but I am so happy it is done and over with. I know this was the right decision, it just sux feeling so crappy. And as for eating/drinking....i honestly want nothing to do with it. I have only managed to get down an ice pop and a half a bottle of Water today. I will try some broth in a little bit maybe ill have better luck. Congrats to those banded and who will be banded this month- we are all part of this journey together!!!

Congrats! Sounds just like I felt post surgery. I'm 9 days post op today, and still sore around the incisions. The hunger pangs will start up about day 5 or 6 - if you're anything like me - but it's awesome to feel full after just a bite or two!! Make sure to drink your water! :sad:

I'm getting banded the 22nd, Monday. I started the pre-op diet last Monday and have lost 5 pounds in four days, with three days to go. The first two days were hell, but pretty soon I got used to it. Eating non-sugar Jello, non-sugar pudding, broth, skim milk, non-sweetened juice, non-sugar yogurt and Unjury Protein powder with Crystal Lite. Also had some leafy greens with non-fat Salad Dressing and raw carrots.

This week I was super anxious about the surgery and life with the band, but I seem to be more calm today. I was most worried about pain and discomfort after surgery, but you can get through anything for a couple of days I guess.

When I found out I was approved for surgery I was excited and depressed. I imagined "I am breaking up with food." Get lost cheeze doodles, candy bars, and Klondike bars. You've not been good to me so I'm breaking up with ya. I'm about to enter a healthier relationship with food, which is what I need to stay alive and well. I've tried many times before but now I'll have the band to help protect me from going back to my bad relationship.

Well, good luck everyone. Hope you all heal quickly.

:sad: Good luck to you! Enjoy your weekend, Monday will be a even newer day!

5 more pre-op diet days and lapband here I come! After getting past day one, it hasn't been bad. I'm pretty proud that I have stuck to the regimen 100%. I really want to make a change in life that gets me to healthier and I'm really glad I have made this decision! So for all the fellow bandsters getting band on the 25th let's make sure and keep each other informed to our outcomes! Good Luck to all those getting banded this upcoming week!:sad:

Congrats! Sounds just like I felt post surgery. I'm 9 days post op today, and still sore around the incisions. The hunger pangs will start up about day 5 or 6 - if you're anything like me - but it's awesome to feel full after just a bite or two!! Make sure to drink your water! :sad:

Thank you Amy! Its good to know Im not the only one who feels like crap post op. The 3 people i was in the hospital unit with who were banded yesterday by the same surgeon were all feeling pretty good, that made me a little nervous. but I do realize that everyone is different. I just couldnt imagine only taking liquid tylenol for this pain, lol. Im working on the Water, I promise :cool: Fingers crossed that tomorrow is a better day! :w00t:

Now 10 days post-op and I feel pretty normal. My incisions hurt if I twist my body the wrong way, and I am frustrated that I can't pick up my dog for six weeks. All in all I am feeling like myself again, but with that comes the food cravings! I am jonesing for popcorn (my go to snack of choice):sad:, I keep thinking that it would go down now just fine. My swelling of the band area is gone and I have pretty much no resriction, it is so hard to follow these guidelines for this long. Only 20 more days before I can eat really soft foods, still it seems like a long time.

Good Luck to You All and I am glad to hear that most of us are working through this with only little problems. Hooray for us, we are transforming our lives!:w00t:

Congrats to everyone who just got banded! I can't wait. I don't know if I can't wait just because of this pre-op diet though...lol. Had a minor breakdown yesterday. Wanted something of substance so badly. DF stepped right in, told me to sit down as he made my my half cup of Soup, a Protein Shake and sf pudding. Then he ate his dinner standing up in the kitchen. Love that man. :wink2: It is so hard to stick to it, but I know that the outcome will be the reward. I am just getting so nervous that I will not be cleared by my dr. for these dam white blood cells. He gave me antibiotics, but I am just so nervous that he is going to tell me that we have to postpone after I have gone through months of fighting and two weeks of liquids. I might just break at that point. I am trying to stay positive, but I am not good at facing the unknown, esp. when there is nothing that I can do about it. :w00t: I am just hoping and praying that whatever it was that made those wbc's jump, is gone now.

Good luck to all, best wishes for a speedy recovery!! :thumbup:

Hi everyone, I'd like to join up with you February 2010 Bandsters. My surgery was done on Feb. 10th, so it's been 10 days now. I'm feeling pretty good, going back to work this Monday :thumbup:. My friends at work have now lost their eating buddy! It's a brand new life looking forward to being much more active this summer.

#1. Surgery date? 2/10/10

#2. State you live in? New York

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr Ahmad / Mather Memorial Hospital

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance

#5. Age and height – 51 & 5’6”

#6. Current weight and goal weight? Highest 248 / Current 225 / Goal 150

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Tried Everything / Failing at Jenny Craig

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? Yes so far very supportive

#8. Concerns and questions? Looking forward to keeping in touch with others who understand what its like to go through with this! Hoping to reach a goal weight that I haven’t been able to achieve in a long time

Lacarney

Welcome to the February 2010 Bandsters. Sounds like you are doing great keep up the good work.

my pre-op diet is going well. booooring but the results are good. according to my scale, ive lost 14 pounds. according to my doctors scale, ive lost between 5 and 7. whatever. their scale isnt calibrated right and they dont take off weight for clothing.

i havent had any solids. just Protein Shakes made with light soymilk, broth and thats about it actually. the hunger was awful the first 2 days but now im not even hungry anymore.

im lucky i guess. i dont live near family so im not out at restaurants. a salads not a bad choice tho, good job!

keep it up! we will be banded in no time!:thumbup:

I have been starving....or so I think. I am actually used the the shakes now. I drink them without a second thought. I can even watch the rest of the family eat without getting tempted. Who'd have thought? Tonight was a little tough because they had steak and gravy with white rice and veggies. rice is my comfort food...but I did not go near it. I had a salad...and check this out...I coudn't even eat the whole thing. I think my stomache has really shrunk. Also, I lost another 9 pounds since Thursday according to my wii Fit, but I want to wait AND SEE THE DOCTOR'S OFFCIE SCALE.

Edited by jmunks2000
needed to add more

#1. Surgery date? 23 Feb 10

#2. State you live in? Washington

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr.Oh, St Francis Hospital

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance (Aetna will pay 90%)

#5. Age and height - 37, 5 feet 4 inches

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 245/145

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? There are many reasons why I decided to have this surgery, my health being a main priority. However, I feel that as an obese person, I do not get the respect that I deserve. I work for the military, which has very strict weight standards. While I may know my job inside out and will do more than my fair share of work, I am still seen as "lazy" and not taken as seriously as my thinner civilian coworkers. I truly believe that people (especially those in the military) discriminate based on weight.

#8. Do you have the support of family and friends? Aside from my sister, I only recently told my parents and my brother about my decision to have weight loss surgery about a week ago. Only one person from work knows, and he is helping me work out to lose the weight I need to pre-op. Aside from a handful of friends, everyone else thinks I'm going in for hiatal hernia repair surgery, which I will be having done at the same time.

#9. Concerns and questions? My only concern right now is how I will manage after my surgery. I live alone and my sister, who was supposed to let me stay with her while I was recouperating, will no longer be able to help me due to medical issues of her own. I'm only taking one week off after surgery, which is the amount of time I am not allowed to drive. I work a desk job, so I shouldn't be lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs. Will that be enough time off?

Seminar May 2008 - Approved on 18 Dec 09

Surgery Date February 23rd, 2010!!!

Highest/Current/Goal

259/245/145

I noticed a lot of people were able to drink milk and eat milk products on their diets. My Dr. strictly forbade that, saying that milk in all varieties(regular, soy, rice etc) were high in calories and could cause weight gain. I've been mixing my Protein Shakes with Water, which taste alright when you throw in a few pieces of frozen fruit.

Michelle from Washington

I noticed a lot of people were able to drink milk and eat milk products on their diets. My Dr. strictly forbade that, saying that milk in all varieties(regular, soy, rice etc) were high in calories and could cause weight gain. I've been mixing my Protein Shakes with Water, which taste alright when you throw in a few pieces of frozen fruit.

Michelle from Washington

My doctor has me drinking the Hood Calorie Countdown milk, it has about 45 calories per serving.