Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 2 of my 2 week preop diet and I am wondering if anyone knows of a DECENT tasting Protein drink/shake? I am on the Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shake and it's disgusting! it's thick as pudding and tastes like watered down chocolate! I am almost ready to give up because I cannot handle drinking the protein shake....is there anything else out there thats better tasting? please help!!!

Clear Isopure zero carb

at least 10 flavors

like a sobe lean - in texture and appearance

fruity flavors

Vitamin shoppe/gnc/online

ready to drink

Unjury is really good. Since you mix it yourself it is thinner and has a really good taste. They also do a chicken Soup flavor which is a nice break from the sweet shakes.< /p>

I like the lemonade stand flavor of Nectars....

BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for Protein, Vitamins, and success.

play around with flavors and textures. I also like the Isopure Peanut Butter shake...mmmmmmmm

Isopure dutch chocolate powder - thinner than most shakes but taste is acceptable. GNC carries it.

EAS chocolate powder - thicker than Isopure, but thinner than Slim Fast. Sam's Club carries it and it's a lot cheaper than the Isopure.

Just a side note. I bought the Isopure clear Protein drinks because someone said they were like Sobe's or Gatorade. In fact, I bought two cases...and gave them away. I thought they were awful and they dried my mouth out as if I had put a bit of alum on my tongue.

Depends on what your in to.

I couldn't stomach an unjury shake anymore if someone paid me to drink them.

If you like chocolate, I like EAS pre made shakes (they sell them at BJ's) by the case. 4 packs are ridiculouly expensive, though they sell them at Shop Rite and Walmart if you want to try them.

If your into orangey. Jay Robb Creamsicle flavor is good (sold at Health food Stores). Not quite the Dreamsicle they sell at TGI Fridays, but....lol

My advice is to try a sample. Most health food stores will let you sample drinks before you buy them. Also, don't buy too much ahead of time. I have cans of Unjury sitting in my pantry that I won't drink anymore. Money down the drain.

I am on my 4th Protein shake brand..Your tastes change and you get sick of stuff.

Which shake you end up liking is completely personal. One person will say a shake is great and another won't be able to keep it down because it's so gross to them.

Personally the only shake I was able to stand was good ol fashioned no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate) made with skim milk.

Oh and by the way you can buy a pack with tons of samples in it at BariatricEating.com. I bought the sampler there and it had tons of samples that my hubby liked and it came with a blender ball cup.

Edited by sberrys

Since you're already on day 2, you probably need something you can actually go buy somewhere. I tried the Bariatric Advantage too and it was SO gross I was glad I just bought the samples! YUCK, I am RIGHT there with you!

OK, I REALLY like the Atkins Advantage RTD shakes. They come in a variety of flavors. Target and Walmart have a good variety and aren't too expensive. We found 12 packs at our Sam's club in chocolate and vanilla. Drink them cold and you can do it! If you have time to order something, I like the Matrix Syntrax chocolate 5.0. unjury is pretty good too. Have you thought about going to the pharmacy where you're having surgery and seeing what they have?

P.S. I tried the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins too and did NOT care for them either. I recommend ordering the sample pack now if you haven't already. Also, try Celebrate Vitamins, that's where I got mine and they taste a LOT better!

I like the Premier Protein ready to drink that they sell at costco, 30grams of Protein, I drink one on the way to work everyday.

I also bought the Isopure clear, it is a good alternative to the cream drinks. I don't like it "straight" though, weird aftertaste. I find if I mix it with Crystal light it goes down easier.. half crystal light half isopure.. eventually I get in the entire bottle of 40grams of protein and get some liquids at the same time. costco also has a protein bullet, I haven't tried it but some people here like it.

I also sent away for unjury.. its "ok" for me, not as spectacular as I expected. I do like the chicken flavor as an alternative to the above. Variety is key...

Good luck, you'll make it through!!

I thought I'd list the following Protein drinks that I have tried and see if there's any hope for me in finding a decent tasting one :thumbup:

1.) Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shake in chocolate-DISGUSTING!!!!

2.) EAS chocolate premixed shake-tasted very very vitamin-y to me

3.) Isopure Clear in green apple-it wasn't awful but it has a very very very weird after taste like someone stated above and is very strong!

4.) Pure Protein chocolate premixed shake in the can-this was the best chocolate shake I have found, but its hard to stomach it all

5.) something sort of like Proslam-very strong, although easy to "knock back" really quickly due to it being only 3.1 oz. BUT it was pretty disgusting!

So is there not a protein PILL?!?! jeeze!

I thought I'd list the following Protein drinks that I have tried and see if there's any hope for me in finding a decent tasting one :thumbup:

1.) Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shake in chocolate-DISGUSTING!!!!

2.) EAS chocolate premixed shake-tasted very very vitamin-y to me

3.) Isopure Clear in green apple-it wasn't awful but it has a very very very weird after taste like someone stated above and is very strong!

4.) Pure Protein chocolate premixed shake in the can-this was the best chocolate shake I have found, but its hard to stomach it all

5.) something sort of like Proslam-very strong, although easy to "knock back" really quickly due to it being only 3.1 oz. BUT it was pretty disgusting!

So is there not a protein PILL?!?! jeeze!

Have you tried adding things in the shake like sugar-free syrups and/or fruits

Having tried every diet out there and KNOWING I don't like shake options I elected to make my own.

Using my expertise in the kitchen and the knowledge of my body builder friends I have come up with some great tasting shakes using the Designer whey Protein (18 grms per scoop)

I'm working on chocolate flavors but I actually prefer the vanilla because it's so versatile. I'm also working on hot mixes, living in AZ the cold drinks would normally work, but wouldn't you know it's only been in the 50's and 60's during my pre-op diet lol so I'm working on a hot chocolate and more.

Here's two that I loved:

Indian Summer (Apples are available in fall but the drink reminds me of summer lol)

2oz lowfat vanilla yogurt

4oz Healthy Balance Apple juice

1 scoop vanilla designer whey Protein

Handful of ice

Blend or mix with ice - both ways are good.

Purple Passion

2oz lowfat vanilla yogurt

4oz Healthy Balance Pomergrante/blueberry/Acai juice

1 scoop vanilla designer whey protein

1 scoop ruby reds (optional)

Blend or mix with Ice - both ways are good.

Purple passion is my favorite.. and adding the rubyreds gives me a full day supply of fruits and veggies in one scoop and they're sweet and good tasting. Purple passion tastes like a smoothie you would get from Planet smoothie or Jamba Juice. It's great.

With the use of yogurt you must be careful on which brand you buy as just because it's lowfat doesn't mean it's low carbs or sugar. Greek yogurt works best and has the most protein. You may want to add a lil' honey to greek yogurt to fight the tartness.

Overall I think making your own shakes is better for you, your wallet and your taste buds.

You can also add sugar free Jello and pudding to change the flavors, without breaking the rules of your pre-op diet.

I'm going to try a hot chocolate one today and I'll let you know how it turns out... think I'll steam the skim milk then pour it into the chocolate whey protein with a lil' Sugar Free Chocolate pudding mix to enhance the flavor.

There's also another brand called dessert delights with flavors like Carrot Cake, banana Nut bread, etc.. I haven't tried them yet but my fitness friends/clients swear by them.

Don't be afraid to get creative...even a frozen shake with chunks of marthon bar protein or fruit would be an awesome variation and a treat.

If you found this helpful feel free to PM me or leave a message on my profile. I also post recipes to my blog as I create and test them.

Happy pre-op!

Here is a website with a several ways to improve your shakes that I have found to get ready for my pre-op liquid diet that I am about to start!

recipes.html#proteinshakerecipes" rel="external nofollow">Yummy Protein shake recipes - Perfect for Pre- or Post-Surgery

Oh and if you're able to have Decaf coffee - this one just hit me..

Make some decaf mocha's or lattes with your Protein mix and skim milk.. I'll have to go try that.