Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving-How did you do?

Well, I hope your thanksgiving 2009 was great and that you were able to stay on the plan. Let me share my story. I am 2 weeks out and on pureed food.. I had made a plan of what I would eat. I went to my inlaws and ate dressing(stuffing), yams, greens, and little turkey (I chewed it well). P.S. my inlaws don't know that I had wls. Then, I went to my families dinner, ate mainly the same foods w/little potato salad. All of a sudden, a german chocolate cake came into my line of vision. I promise you I felt it call my name. So, I said "how you doing". lol Actually, I only had a slither and had to leave the room because the potential was there to really do some damage. But, glad the day is over!!! How did you do! If you have tips or suggests on how you were successful, please post!!

Well...that all sounded wonderful...lol.

I've been banded for 6 months, down about 70 lbs and afraid to gain an oz. back. What I did that morning was go workout for 1.5 hours, that way I didn't feel bad about eating later on. But something funny happened. I came home had a boiled egg and some berries for breakfast...an apple for a snack....didn't really have lunch because dinner was being prepared. dinner that night...which I was so excited about earlier in the day....consisted of 5 oz of turkey breast w/o any skin and a 1/2 cup of veggies that were cooked with a little bit of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and fresh garlic with some salt and pepper. I had to have a little bit of gravy bc of the dryness of the turkey but it was fat free. I didn't have any desert afterwards because I was so full. I had such a great work out that morning I didn't want to ruin it by eating whatever. I realize that I am finally at the point where no occasion, or holiday will get in the way of my lifestyle change. I was strong and realized that I've been "celebrating" (with lots of food) holidays for the past 24 years and it got me to where I was 6 months ago, under the knife to have weight loss surgery. So I am learning that there are ways to enjoy the holidays and family w/o putting a whole bunch of junk into my body and using the holiday as an excuse. So I am really proud of myself....this is becoming who I am, my new lifestyle and it feels great!!

I am the cook/mom/grandma for my family. I am lucky that my band is doing it's job and I am at a sweet spot right now. It may even be a little bit tighter than a sweet spot.

I usually have problems at Breakfast time with tightness. I had 2/3 of a piece of pumpkin pie for breakfast. I drank iced tea w/ sweet n low while cooking. For my holiday meal I really ate less than I thought I could. I ate a few bites of green Beans, a few bites of mashed potatoes/gravy, a few bites yams, and a few bites of cranberry relish. They were all very tiny bites. I'm not sure it even added up to 1/2 cup, but I was full and had to stop because I didn't want to feel pain for Thanksgiving. After everyone left, my husband and I went shopping a little bit and I was feeling a little ripped off because I didn't eat a feast. The tiny bit I did eat kept me full for almost 5 hours. Before we went back home we stopped in Village Inn and I indulged in a piece of Choc. French Silk Pie ! OMG! it was sooooo good and I no longer felt ripped off!

I am Thankful for my wonderful family and I am Thankful for my band! I jumped on the scale this morning and was down another pound!

Normally I have a Protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then a normal dinner, but my children and spouses are here for the holidays, so yesterday I got up and cooked breakfast (eggs, turkey sausage, etc.) and I stuck to a 1 cup limit. Then did the same at my mother-in-law's for dinner. I did have one bite of two different Desserts.

I think I did wonderfully. I ate like a normal person and that is my goal. I don't want to take my obsession with food to the opposite extreme and be obsessed with 'not eating'.

They'll be here for another couple days because my father-in-law died Wednesday night and the memorial service is Monday, but I'm back to my Protein shake for breakfast and quite happy with it.

Edited by ElfiePoo

I'm also 2 weeks post op and I was scared to feel any pain so I stuck with only having pureed foods... which was butter nut squash, mashed potatoes loaded with gravy and cranberry sauce. It was all mushy and I had maybe 1/2 cup total. When they took out desert I had a sliver of cheese cake and it was the really creamy kind. I probably had maybe 3 tablespoons of that and I felt full. I actually felt a little twinge of pain in my chest so I'm assuming that is what full is for me now. I was fine with that... the only thing I wish I could have tried was the lamb. It looked really good! but I'm glad I'm banded and feeling better.. I am still sore and tired so it was a lot of sitting on the couch at my mothers. Felt guilty not helping them clean up but I'm so nervous about screwing something up before I heal completely! lol

well I think I made it through relitivly well. I did endulge and have a couple of cocktails, but was careful of what I mixed with. Then came the endless tables of food LOL! I survived the lunch @ the inlaws by eating about 1/2dozen shrimp from a shrimp cocktail and 2 stuffed mushrooms. survived that one, Then came on the huge dinner spread. made it through that one with a small portion of turkey w/little gravy a few green Beans, 1/2 of an egg that was deviled. Man, made it through that one, then came the endless onslaught of desserts! I allowed myself 2 small bites of pumkin cheesecake (awesome!) but don't think they totaled 2 tsp. combined. Then topped off the night with a shot when the group started passing those around. Not the perfect food holiday, but all things considered I think I survived pretty well and really did not feel "cheated" out of anything. I did though get to enjoy the attention of the ladies who where amazed @ my weight loss of the last couple months.:thumbup:

i also had to cook family meal as i do every holiday. but this time i had the band. i was a little worried i was gonna go crazy. but thanks to my band.i hardly ate much. i did have a portion of everything.then i went to my bike an exercise.this time last year i was just starting out.i had lost 40lbs before my surgery an had to maintaine it through out the hoildays last year.i think i did good. looking at all that food. i love my band it rocks.

I ate my Fiber Cereal for breakfast and then went on to my brother's for the big meal. There was food everywhere! Since there isn't enough room for all to sit at one table together, we formed a line to serve our plates and then sat at different places around the house. I was almost the last in line and I watched all the others filling their "Platters...not plates", it began to turn my stomach. OMG, did I do that in years past? It was disgusting the amount of food that they put on their platters. Oh, most of them could use some dieting also!

Anyway, I got myself a small dessert plate and I got a teaspoon of dressing/gravy, yams, cranberry sauce, green Beans, potato salad and a nice big slice of turkey breast. NO dessert at all. I felt full and did not feel cheated at all.

It's amazing how much food you can enjoy if you use a teaspoon to serve yourself. It's more than enough food and you won't feel as cheated. I brought home for my night meal, a big slice of turkey and 1/3 cup of green Beans. That's all. I knew if I brought anything more, it might tempt me. I didn't even eat all of that.

I am not going to be a slave to food any longer. This is all too important to me. I want to be healthier and slimmer at the same time. There is nothing in food or drink that is so important to me as to mess up my weight loss journey. It's not going to happen!

Edited by LollyMoe

I'm three weeks into my liquid diet I have one more week to go before my surgery. Yesterday wasn't so bad I drank my shake while everyone else ate. I did have to have just two bites of turkey so I thought I did well. I can wait til my surgery date which is December 7th. I wish you well.

Well, I hope your thanksgiving 2009 was great and that you were able to stay on the plan. Let me share my story. I am 2 weeks out and on pureed food.. I had made a plan of what I would eat. I went to my inlaws and ate dressing(stuffing), yams, greens, and little turkey (I chewed it well). P.S. my inlaws don't know that I had wls. Then, I went to my families dinner, ate mainly the same foods w/little potato salad. All of a sudden, a german chocolate cake came into my line of vision. I promise you I felt it call my name. So, I said "how you doing". lol Actually, I only had a slither and had to leave the room because the potential was there to really do some damage. But, glad the day is over!!! How did you do! If you have tips or suggests on how you were successful, please post!!

I was extremely lucky yesterday. I was banded Monday so I am still on liquid. My wife works nights, and all my local family went out of town so I was alone on thanksgiving. Two Protein shakes, a cup of Tomato Soup, and crystal light, got up this morning an walked for an hour. After walking, the scale said I lost 4 pounds in the last 24 hours. I am sure thankful for that!!!!

Happy holidays to all and good job to all above on how you handled the BIG MEAL!!!

TJ

We had 3 hour drive and I was waaay too tight to eat before we left at 7. I took Crystal lite w/ Protein in for the car and a few string cheese. At the rest stop I had egg sandwich w/o the bread. Just the egg type substance thing.LOL

At my brother's we had cheese and crackers( No crackers for me) and spinach dip and salsa. I had a bit too much full fat cheese but did OK with the rest. A Bit of grazing but overall OK.

For dinner I had a small amount of what I wanted (Turkey, mashed potato, green Beans, corn and gravy) I guess the really BAD thing was I succumbed to a small cornbread muffin w/ butter. When I tell you that muffin was the BEST thing.....LOL I really wanted a second one but stopped. I had apple pie and FF cool whip later on. I never felt deprived. I ate too much of course, but a hell of a lot less than normal.

We went to Cracker Barrel for Breakfast. I kicked Band Ass THERE! Eggbeater omelette, kids bacon order and tea / FF milk. When I tell you Cracker barrel is my fave place for breakfast, I am not kidding. I am soooooo proud of the choices I made there. Go Me!

Glad we did OK and look forward to seeing how I do at my weigh in Thursday...

I did the cooking here, and I was proud that I managed to handle myself very well- had 4 oz of turkey, 1/2 cup stuffing, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and some corn/green Beans. It was so nice to feel human again (banded Oct 21). I ended up taking one more mouthful of my mom's stuffing and then I felt this uncomfortable feeling I've never felt (I'm the one with absolutely no restriction) so I left the room and did my mile in 15 minutes on demand lol. Of course I never had dessert- I was full for the rest of the night.

So of course today is worse--I have been laying around watching tv with my daughter all day, but twice I've been up, I've been picking at the pies :-(. Mad at myself because I've been doing so well and then I go and do that! I do have a couple of GREAT recipies which I will post soon. One is a vanilla pumpkin cheesecake that's 163 cals per slice, 1.5 fat grams and 15 g of protein!! It was a big hit last night- most popular dessert (figures).

Anyway- hope you all had a great Holiday!!

What a fabulous Thanksgiving day! Awhile back, I was wondering how Turkey Day would go in my household. I was banded on 6/8/09, my best friend was banded on 6/29/09, and my mother had a gastric bypass on 11/23/09. My hubby, parents, best friend and her stepdad, and I were planning on going out to a restaurant for a turkey dinner because Joanne and I couldn't eat very much. We didn't know at the time that Mom would have her surgery 3 days before Thanksgiving and would most likely be in the hospital until the day after.

Joanne's family decided to come down from Cleveland for the holiday and my mom got out of the hospital 2 days earlier than expected. So, Joanne decided to have Thanksgiving dinner at her stepdad's house. She cooked an absolutely delicious feast!

The food was very tasty, but I so managed to behave myself. I had about 2T of the following: mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and baked Beans. I had about 3oz of turkey and 3oz of baked ham. For dessert, I ate 2 bites of my hubby's apple pie. I didn't gorge myself, but I certainly didn't feel deprived. :thumbup:

I did ok - coulda be better.I'm at my families in CA now (I live in OR) and they keep alot of food at the house. Yesterday, I didn't eat any breakfast (I know, I know, not sposed to do that) and then for the FEAST I ate: A spoonful of mashed potatoes, a spoonful of dressing, some turkey, cranberry sauce, and about half my plate was broccoli and green Beans. I was too full for pie - in fact I think I hear it calling my name right now!

All in all I think I did a pretty good job. coulda been better, but I don't feel guilty.

Blessings!

Marci

I cooked last Sunday night for my family so my son and daughter-in-law do not have to eat too big meals on the same day. I did so good that day we had 4 different pies since everybody like something different. I cooked the whole meal myself and did not pick at food when I was cooking, ate a very small amount at dinner and passed on the pie.

Well . . .then Monday came and I was home alone 10 hours and the all the pies were still here BIG MISTAKE should have sent them home with people but they would not take them since they would eat another meal on Thursday. I made it through Monday no pie! Tuesday I had my 3 year old and 6 month old Grandbabies from 8:00 am until 7:00 pm did I mention I also work at home as graphic designer so I had work to do also. All day Tuesday the pies were here a few more pieces missing from my husband eating. But still plenty in there. I was fine that pie was not going to bother me.

I was taking a break sitting on the living room floor playing with my 3 year old grandbaby while the 6 month old was a sleep in the middle of my king-size bed only a few yards away for me when I hear this loud thug noise and look into my room and there is my precious baby girl on the floor looking at me like what happen. She had woke up with out talking or crying and rolled around and fell of the bed. She was not hurt but had to call my son at work and my daughter-in-law at work who is a nurse and see if they wanted me to take her to DR to let them do a quick check.

I watch those kids like a hawk, have watch the 3 year old 3 times a week since she was 8 weeks old and now I have both 2 days a week. Well after all that stress I ate a piece of banana cream pie. Can you blame me? Needless to say the next 2 days were nothing but protien shakes.

Christmas there will be no pies in the house. Pie and dessert served on the front porch so put your jacket on!!!