Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed - "Did" and "Did not" work for me...

Confusing title I know but – to make this long story short - the fact that I self-paid all that money to GET the band, and it didn’t work, plus I knew had to pay all that money to get it REMOVED made me so disgusted at myself that I lost the weight…

The story begins in May of 2008. I was a borderline BMI person (BMI ~35) and was stagnant at about 35 -50 lbs over my target weight. Prior to having the surgery, I already had doubts about its effectiveness in my particular instance. I already felt I had been eating small portions and hadn't been losing any weight so I figured I must have been cheating more than I thought since I'm a male, 5'11", and weighed 255 lbs. I figured, with the band, I wouldn't be able to cheat and I'd lose all that weight and get back to my perfect size of 215-220 lbs. It didn't work out that way for me.

I initially lost a few pounds due to the surgery and being on a liquid diet but I promptly proceeded to go right back to 255 and slowly, over the next few months, crept up to almost 270.

I had my band filled as much as I could stand it and was periodically throwing up because I could literally feel when one of the openings in my stomach would get stopped up. Either because I wasn't chewing well enough or I was eating the wrong fibrous foods or I was just eating too fast - what ever the reason - I found myself in awkward positions where I would have to run off and "expectorate" (hurl) so that I could clear the opening to remove the pressure and feel better. I did this for a year.

Finally, in May of 2009 (one year with the band), I had had enough. By increasing my exercise, I had worked my weight back down from 270 to 253 and I figured I could lose the rest without the band and periodic stoppages (which was more of a nuisance than anything to me at this point) so I had the band zero-filled.

I wanted to have just the port removed (which is a much lower cost than full removal) and just leave the rest of the apparatus in place since it wasn't causing me any issues but my doctor talked me out of it. He didn’t recommend leaving the tubing inside for any length of time as it has the potential to work it’s way around and cause other types of issues such as punctures. I think that initially he was skeptical that I was losing weight despite – not because of – the band and he suggested that I go zero-filled for a few months and see how it went. Somehow his skepticism motivated me more!

Now that I could eat normally again, my only issue still with the band was the protruding port. I would always find myself rubbing on it and looking at that “bump” in a mirror (it was even visible to me with certain shirts). To me, it looked like my stomach had a bulbous growth on the left side but it wasn’t too noticeable when I was 255 lbs.

After I left my doctors, I decided I needed to really get with the program and I did what I call my 3-phased weight loss effort. 1. I increased my weight-lifting to improve muscle mass, 2. I bought a new expensive road bike and started riding long distances for cardio, and 3. I got an application for my iPhone that allowed me to track every single calorie I ate throughout the day to ensure I ended up with a calorie deficit and on track to lose 2-3 lbs every week. This combination of actions had quick results. I dropped 30 lbs and a whole lot of bellyfat over 5 months. Now my port was REALLY starting stick out and look like I had something wrong with my stomach. I was too self-conscious to go shirtless at the beach or when I sat at the pool on a recent cruise I took. Now I felt I had to get the whole thing removed.

I just had my band removed 7 days ago and so far, my stomach has TWO lumps on it that look like they’re bigger than the port lump was. I’m hoping that after all the swelling goes down my stomach will look normal again (except for the scarring). I’d have to say the whole experience hasn’t been worth it for me.

By the way, I should also caveat that my doctor did a good job and the band worked as designed but that it didn’t correct my problem. My problem wasn’t the “quantities” of food I was eating – it was “what” I was eating. I’ve made a major switch to eat a less beef, and less junk and eat a whole lot more salads and other veggies.

Mines was a unique situation and after reading through this forum, I think the band appears to be a very good thing for most people. BUT…for a few folks, I’d think long and hard about going through this ordeal. It worked for me indirectly but it didn’t have anything to do with the physical device. This whole ordeal helped me to get mentally fired up and finally lose the weight I was supposed to.

So banding worked for me (but not really).

Good luck to you. I know how frustrating it can be as I was one that wasn't a big eater but what I was eating was more of the problem, plus diabetes and age etc....

Now that the port is also gone hopefully you won't be left with too much of a scar, I had mine put in taken out and then revised to gastric bypass and my scars are minimal, plus nothing that pokes out like a port.

All of my surgeries were covered through my insurance and I can't imagine doing this out of pocket, actually I wouldn't have. Anway wish you good health, Nancy.

Good for you for losing the weight. I had expected the weight loss to be easier than it was too. I was also a lower BMI. I have now been a plateau for about 5 months... however I've upped my exercise and added weight lifting and I did manage to lose 3 pounds this month. Soo.. I'm hoping to hold them off and keep going downwards with the weight loss.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck to you!

Good for you for losing the weight. I had expected the weight loss to be easier than it was too. I was also a lower BMI. I have now been a plateau for about 5 months... however I've upped my exercise and added weight lifting and I did manage to lose 3 pounds this month. Soo.. I'm hoping to hold them off and keep going downwards with the weight loss.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck to you!

I to am struggling with the weight loss. I've have not lost weight in months I'm so frustrated I don't want to have a fill I have trouble eating food as it is, I think I'm eating the wrong things. I feel like I'm not eating much and not losing. I'm just at a stand still. I'm tired of potein shakes! Help

Good luck to you. I know how frustrating it can be as I was one that wasn't a big eater but what I was eating was more of the problem, plus diabetes and age etc....

Now that the port is also gone hopefully you won't be left with too much of a scar, I had mine put in taken out and then revised to gastric bypass and my scars are minimal, plus nothing that pokes out like a port.

All of my surgeries were covered through my insurance and I can't imagine doing this out of pocket, actually I wouldn't have. Anway wish you good health, Nancy.

Thanks for the replies...

Nancy, I'm curious, how long did it take for your surgeries to become less noticeable? My incision bumps are HUGE. It looks like I've got a golf ball sitting on top of my stomach muscle at one point and a marble-sized bulge under the skin under another incision! it's really pretty bothersome to look at and I'm hoping it's normal and will go down - SOON! I think I'm more depressed looking at the after-effects than I was just having the port sticking out! Hopefully someone can direct me as to whether this is normal for post-surgery or do I have a problem? The lumps don't feel like they're fluid-filled. They definitely feel like there's substance which is either swollen muscle tissue or ???

I to am struggling with the weight loss. I've have not lost weight in months I'm so frustrated I don't want to have a fill I have trouble eating food as it is, I think I'm eating the wrong things. I feel like I'm not eating much and not losing. I'm just at a stand still. I'm tired of potein shakes! Help

It took everything for me to lose the weight but I attribute my weight loss to a simple program I got and loaded onto my iPhone. By honestly tracking all of my calories and being on a calorie budget I finally started to see results. I don't believe I would have done it using a paper journal or a website or anything else but the convenience of the program in my cell phone (which is always with me) helped me to stay up on my calorie-counting. There are several software programs that I'm sure work all alike but I picked a free one called "Lose It" and it did what I needed it to do.

This TIME ARTICLE helped to point out many of the errors I was making. For instance, I often would go have a smoothie and a bran muffin after working out but my calorie tracker pointed out that 1/2 hour of vigorous weight-lifting only equated to 300 calories lost! I offset that with just the smoothie and the bran muffin put me over the top so in essence, I wasn't getting anywhere. I'd also find myself parking closer to my office since I had worked out I deserved to park next to the building and catch elevator versus parking a 1/2 mile away and taking the stairs. I made a lot of concessions when I worked out and I think that TIME article helped to point that out to me.

Thanks for the replies...

Nancy, I'm curious, how long did it take for your surgeries to become less noticeable? My incision bumps are HUGE. It looks like I've got a golf ball sitting on top of my stomach muscle at one point and a marble-sized bulge under the skin under another incision! it's really pretty bothersome to look at and I'm hoping it's normal and will go down - SOON! I think I'm more depressed looking at the after-effects than I was just having the port sticking out! Hopefully someone can direct me as to whether this is normal for post-surgery or do I have a problem? The lumps don't feel like they're fluid-filled. They definitely feel like there's substance which is either swollen muscle tissue or ???

I'm not sure why you have such a large lump, it maybe scar tissue that I didn't have around mine. I always felt my port while it was there and it showed a bit but not a ton. I had mine removed months before my revision to RNY and I really only have minimal scarring so hopefully someone else around here can help you with your problem. Good luck to you, Nancy.

Bigboned,

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

I just want to point out that it has been my personal experience that it never really was the BAND that has gotten me to where I am. Nor will it be the BAND that gets me across that finish line.

It will be ME!! Always has been and always will be.

Best wishes, and most of all congratulations on taking the steps to a healthier more fit you. J

You know, it doesnt sound that unusual a situation, it sounds like yet another case of the way the band has been made out to be some sort of miracle for effortless weight loss. Sharing stories like yours is really helpful in helping people to accept the reality of living with a band. You werent a huge volume eater to begin with, so that perhaps made in not the best choice for you personally. Your band was obviously overfilled, but you didnt have enough weight to lose to get the automatic weight loss many heavier people get when they get banded, so you had to go tighter and tighter to eat less and less.

As for the changes you eventually made to lose weight (well done!) that's EXACTLY what most successful bandsters have had to do. We still have to make those changes, the band with some restriction just helps us to make them more comfortably. Its just that the effort that it takes is not really well advertised. I could have done what I did without the band becuase it holds me back when I do go off the rails and I never regain weight. But what I lost, I lost with HELP from the band and with a LOT of effort on my part.

I still have to choose not to eat junk, I have to keep my band loose enough to eat fibrous, healthy foods which means that I deal with the appetite that could be controlled by going much tighter, and I work out really really hard, a couple of 10km runs, two bootcamp sessions and two tough circuit classes a week at present. I avoid fatty foods and processed carbs, I stick to a 3 meal a day schedule and I use other tactics to control the head hunger and appetite that creeps in between meals. I will have to do this for the rest of my life to control my weight.

If my band were tighter I could eat less than I do with no problem but then I woudl be dealing with blockages, vomiting and heartburn.

Like you, my port is pretty darn visible (but only vaguely, not golf ball sized) as I have a BMI of 21 now, ironically the only loose skin I got from a 100lb weight loss is on my upper belly (more from pregnancy as I never carried weight in my stomach), but I dont mind. I'm happy to wear a bikini with a lump showing, its a million times better than rolls of fat hanging there.

Edited by Jachut

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the responses and words of encouragement. LilMissDiva, Jachut, and Lana24... I wrote my story because I remember doing a search for guidance that related to my concerns and didn't really find a scenario like the one I experienced so I don't mind being someone else's guinea pig if it can help someone make an informed decision.

I'm not sure why you have such a large lump, it maybe scar tissue that I didn't have around mine. I always felt my port while it was there and it showed a bit but not a ton. I had mine removed months before my revision to RNY and I really only have minimal scarring so hopefully someone else around here can help you with your problem. Good luck to you, Nancy.
I'm very concerned about this lump. I'm wearing overly loose clothing to help hide the disfiguration and I'm still hopeful it's not some kind of long-term bundle of scar tissue (or bad surgery?) but is instead just a temporary side effect and I'm just panicky for no reason. My only saving grace at the moment is the fact that the surgery was only 9 days ago so hopefully this is going to go away otherwise I'm MUCH worse than I was just leaving the port. This has been a cascade of bad decisions and I'm hoping this nightmare goes away soon...

My band did not work either and I am having it removed in the next 3 weeks. Because of the band I ended up with 2 hernias which I am having repaired at the same time. I had my band unfilled completely in May, while in the ER for a small bowel obstruction. It was so nice to be able to eat without choking and having to run to the bathroom. My port portrudes too along with the hernias which are on the same side. I look like I am 9 months pregnant. I've had the band for 3 years and initially lost weight then because of it being too tight I turned to junk which of course went down without a problem, unlike real food. I love eating real, healthy food again and cannot wait to lose this weight the old fashioned way, excercise. As soon as this surgery is over with, weight training here I come. Live and learn.

Bigboned,

Yes, thank you for sharing your story. I know I am not alone --I am too am in the same situation. I had my band removed 8 days ago in MX-self pay. I am wondering if the two bumps I feel, will ever go away. I am not sure if it is swollen and eventually if it will disappear and how long that will be. Every time after I eat, I get this big two lump stomach, kinda looks like I'm 4mths pregnant. I have searched for answers and can't seem to find it. Please let me know how you are doing?

This is one of the reasons I still go to seminars and get up there and tell people that you still have to work for the band and it is not a miracle cure particularly if you don't have a lot of weight to lose. You have to make a lifestyle change and be willing to make sacrifices if your habit is to eat the wrong foods. You have to be ready and willing to make the change and do the right things to be successful. I am so glad you made the decision to continue your weight loss efforts in spite of the band. Good for you!

ItsGottaGo! wow, sounds like your ordeal has been very intense. Good luck with the upcoming surgery and subsequent weight loss. In my case it took more than just additional exercise. Not that I am now a certified expert or anything but the key for me was more than just exercise; I have to alter what I was eating. Once I really started to log my calories and ensure I went into a calorie deficit each day that's when I started to realize some success.

greytz too bad I didn't get to hear you speak at a seminar before getting the surgery (it might have saved me a lot of money!).

motherof3 sorry for the delayed response! Yes, I've seen quite a bit of improvement lately. I started feeling like I needed some "compression" to push on the bulges and possibly reduce the amounts of Fluid build up. I decided to purchase one of those neoprene waist-trimmer belts (strictly for the compression, not for weight loss). It actually worked great for me! I put on the belt and after a few hours of use the change was noticeable. The protrusions were getting smaller and my wife noticed it too so it wasn't a placebo effect. I've been using it periodically and I attribute a lot of the recent improvement to wearing the belt. Here's the ZIPPERED WAIST TRIMMER belt I've been using.

Now I feel like what's remaining is just scar tissue and that it's just going to take a long time for that to go away. It's definitely not perfect but it's much smaller and I can wear normal clothes now without drawing extra attention to the huge bulge that was there before.

I've been curious whether I was as swollen when I first got the LAP-BAND®®®® installed. Since I was quite a bit heavier, I may not have noticed because the bulges were probably hidden behind layers of fat(?).