Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

My husband went golfing today, so I used my alone time to take 'before' photos (quickly upload them, email them to myself and delete them from the computer AND the camera). OMG. Sad - shocking - depressing.... but it's a beginning (RIGHT?).

It only gets better from here.

Good for you - I haven't taken photos yet - not sure if I want to!

Hi All!

This is actually my first post ever on this site, so please excuse my lack of clever siggy for now :biggrin:

I am scheduled to be banded here in Raleigh, NC on December 11. The good and bad part about this whole process has been that I am SO busy (I have a 2 year old, I work full time, and I go to school full time - GAH) is that I haven't really had time to get overly obsessed about this and impatient (the good), but I also haven't had time to get overly obsessed about this (the bad - HA)!! I worry that since I'm so busy with everyday life that I will not have the FOCUS required to make this work. But of course I am excited and thrilled and hoping beyond hope that this does work for me.

Anyone else being banded on the 11th?

KarynA: The NP at my surgeon's office wants us to keep a food diary as well as a thoughts/feelings journal and told us to make the first page of our journal a 'Before' picture. I think that's such a great idea! It's not easy to see but reminds me every day why I have undertaken this life-altering journey of changing my body as well as my soul!

This Wednesday, we're heading home to Texas to spend five days with our families for Thanksgiving. I thought I'd be freaking out about not being able to eat all those yummy casseroles and Desserts, but I'm not at all! My doctor just requires the Atkins diet before surgery, so I'll be having a slice of turkey, some brussel sprouts, an artichoke, and a deviled egg. I'm also making a pumpkin whip dessert that's very low carb so I can have a taste of something sweet. In my mind, that's not food deprivation at all! I'll miss the dressing and the green bean casserole and the corn with cream cheese casserole, but I really think I've eaten enough of those things to last me the rest of my life!

I'm attending my last support group tomorrow night before my surgery on the 3rd. From what I understand, they all pass around some sort of angel around the room and each person says a prayer or best wishes or sends good vibes and then they give me the angel to take to the hospital with me. How cool is that? At my last appointment with my surgeon, he told me that he is blessed to be very good at what he does and he knows everything will be great, but he still says a prayer for me before he starts and for him and his abilities. I reallly appreciated him saying that!

I think it's interesting how my mind has evolved throughout this process. I went through a very emotional time shortly after I made this decision and was very weepy. There's definitely a mourning process to go through....mourning the loss of food as I know it, mourning the loss of food as a steadfast friend and ally when others have failed me, and wrapping my brain around the reality that I may, someday, have my health back and my confidence and self-assuredness. I have almost come full circle, though, in that I am completely accepting of this process now and embrace it. I'm not scared! I'm elated! I'm ready.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope everyone has a great and healthy and fun Thanksgiving!

Suzy

I am scheduled to be banded here in Raleigh, NC on December 11. The good and bad part about this whole process has been that I am SO busy (I have a 2 year old, I work full time, and I go to school full time - GAH) is that I haven't really had time to get overly obsessed about this and impatient (the good), but I also haven't had time to get overly obsessed about this (the bad - HA)!! I worry that since I'm so busy with everyday life that I will not have the FOCUS required to make this work. But of course I am excited and thrilled and hoping beyond hope that this does work for me.

I know how you feel. Some days I don't get a moment to myself let alone a chance to really think about what I am putting in my mouth. I have a 3 yo and a 1 yo plus I run a home daycare. I watch 5 kids and they keep my hopping.

Congrats on making it all work!!

My surgery date is December 11th! I'm super excited to get the process started! I start the pre-op diet the day after Thanksgiving...no leftovers for me!

Do you guys have a list of things you want to eat before you start your liquid diet? I DO! lol Just one more time I really want to enjoy certain foods.

I know some people have started their pre-op diet and some will be doing this soon. So far I've tried a few Protein Drinks and I have to say most are pretty awful :biggrin:. So, I did a bit of research and looked around a few forums and found a bit of information on some sampler sites if anyone is interested:

FREE Sample Pack - 8 Bariatic food samples for cost of shipping

Chike Nutrition - Best Tasting Meal Replacement shake. Guaranteed. Pour, shake, Drink & Go! - 5 Protein Shake samples for Shipping ($6.95)

https://eas.com/Registration - Sign up for their site and you can get free sample shakes.

Free Sample - Sign up for site and get a free sample

Spiru-tein Samples! - Free sample Protein shake

Nashua Nutrition - Single Serving Samples for $1.95 each

Vitalady.com - Protein supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks! - Single Serving Samples for $1.79 each

https://www.unjury.com - Single Serving Samples for $1.75 each

Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! - Protein Sampler Pack - 14 packets for $17.99

https://www.smartforme.net/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6 - 12 Samples of Bariatic food - $19.99

nectar Syntrax - You can get a box of all 11 nectar protein flavors directly from Syntrax for $4.99 plus $5.99 for shipping. Contact Rick Davis Medical Sales Manager nectar@si03.com 1-866-333-7403 ext. 803 - Just email on this today, so I'll see how it works.

BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for protein, Vitamins, and success. - Has a sampler - but it's expensive at $59.99 (comes with a book). However, they might be a good site to buy from eventually.

Best Bariatric Surgery Diet supplements, Bariatric Foods, Vitamins for Bariatric Eating - No samples except if you buy something, but again, may be a source to get some products that work for you.

Bariatric Diet - Achievone - Bariatric Vitamins - Bariatric Protein - Post Surgery Diet - Multiple sampler packages you can buy

KarynA - I also did my "BEFORE" pictures over the weekend. All I can say is, I never want to look like this again. :biggrin: Great motivation for anyone who hasn't done this.

Now, I'm just not sure I want to post those anywhere.... Not sure I EVER want anyone looking at those.

KarynA: The NP at my surgeon's office wants us to keep a food diary as well as a thoughts/feelings journal and told us to make the first page of our journal a 'Before' picture. I think that's such a great idea! It's not easy to see but reminds me every day why I have undertaken this life-altering journey of changing my body as well as my soul!

This Wednesday, we're heading home to Texas to spend five days with our families for Thanksgiving. I thought I'd be freaking out about not being able to eat all those yummy casseroles and Desserts, but I'm not at all! My doctor just requires the Atkins diet before surgery, so I'll be having a slice of turkey, some brussel sprouts, an artichoke, and a deviled egg. I'm also making a pumpkin whip dessert that's very low carb so I can have a taste of something sweet. In my mind, that's not food deprivation at all! I'll miss the dressing and the green bean casserole and the corn with cream cheese casserole, but I really think I've eaten enough of those things to last me the rest of my life!

I'm attending my last support group tomorrow night before my surgery on the 3rd. From what I understand, they all pass around some sort of angel around the room and each person says a prayer or best wishes or sends good vibes and then they give me the angel to take to the hospital with me. How cool is that? At my last appointment with my surgeon, he told me that he is blessed to be very good at what he does and he knows everything will be great, but he still says a prayer for me before he starts and for him and his abilities. I reallly appreciated him saying that!

I think it's interesting how my mind has evolved throughout this process. I went through a very emotional time shortly after I made this decision and was very weepy. There's definitely a mourning process to go through....mourning the loss of food as I know it, mourning the loss of food as a steadfast friend and ally when others have failed me, and wrapping my brain around the reality that I may, someday, have my health back and my confidence and self-assuredness. I have almost come full circle, though, in that I am completely accepting of this process now and embrace it. I'm not scared! I'm elated! I'm ready.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope everyone has a great and healthy and fun Thanksgiving!

Suzy

Hi Suzy! Wow I could not have said it better as my surgery day approaches. I too have started mourning the loss of food as I have known but I agree that my health and future will be the winners as I pass on the second helpings and double cheeseburgers. Life is choices and I know that we have made a wise one to take charge and get banded. The only part of my life I am not happy with is my weight and the limits it has placed on my activity levels and energy levels. Being a man I think we also have to put up with a bit more verbal abuse from our manly friends that do not have weight issues. I am being banded in Mexico and leave next Tuesday for there to be banded on Wednesday. I have a friend who was banded 7 weeks ago who is coming along for support. I believe I have done my due diligence on all aspects of this procedure and I am 100% committed to following the protocol for weight loss that the band helps with. I turn 60 in March and I am hoping to have lost 40+ pounds by then. I have not even told my family but will when they start remarking on how much better I am looking. Being banded in Mexico and living in Canada there are very few support areas to access, so I am thankful I have found this site to be able to converse with fellow bandsters. I wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving and a successful surgery. Thanks to all for your current and future support. :biggrin:

Hi All -

I am getting banded on December 4th...and am a first time poster! I am a little concerned that my doctor has said NOTHING to me about a pre-diet. Is anyone else out there not dieting before surgery?

Hi Everyone,

I'm scheduled to have my lap band surgery on 12/17/09. I had an upper G.I. done today and fortunately everything is fine. I had the procedure done at the same surgery center where my lap band surgery will be. I have Aetna insurance and have done everything they have required so hopefully they will approve the paperwork which was submitted on 11/17/09.

My wife will has tentatively scheduled her lap band surgery for 01/14/09. Are there any other husband and wife teams out there?

Happy Holidays to all of us and here's to a wonderful 2010!

Hi All -

I am getting banded on December 4th...and am a first time poster! I am a little concerned that my doctor has said NOTHING to me about a pre-diet. Is anyone else out there not dieting before surgery?

Hi MOSB,

I do not have a pre-op diet either. I was a little worried at first but I did a search of the forum and there was a poll taken and of the people who voted I believe about 26% did not have a pre-op diet. I am going to eat light and do liquids for the three days before my surgery just for my own comfort.

The poll has been posted. I had to post in a Preop thread instead of our in our group. It was the only way. Please vote for your favorite only once.

Welcome newcomers! Don't forget to join our group: December Bandsters 2009 Group. You can find the link to Social Groups under "Community" and "Quick Links".

Have a great day everyone!!!

Do you guys have a list of things you want to eat before you start your liquid diet? I DO! lol Just one more time I really want to enjoy certain foods.

I'd planned my "last meal" of chipotle burrito bol tonight, but went in for my pre-op this morning and they moved my surgey date up. liquid diet starts today. lol. I love my luck.