Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight - very frusterated

I was banded on September 2, 2009, and since then my weight has remained the same. I've had two fills, and am now at 6.5 cc (Realize band). I do feel some restriction and I do feel fuller longer, but I am still able to eat a lot more than I thought I would be able too.

I generally eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly. Once in awhile I'll have a glass of wine or a dessert, but if I wanted to give all that up 100% to lose weight, I wouldn't have gotten the band ... I would have done it on my own.

I have about 45 pounds to lose.

Has anyone else struggled for the few months after surgery? Will weight loss kick in at some point? I've requested another fill from my surgeon, and am hoping that will help.

I can totally sympathize with your post. I also have the Realize band, and at 6.5 cc, I had no restriction. I was really discouraged. It was about three months after my surgery -- and about 9 cc in the band -- before I really felt good restriction, and I'm still not at my sweet spot. But I'm definitely feeling it! I just had a talk today with my doctor's nurse, who told me that they've noticed it takes a little longer for Realize patients to get really good restriction, but once they get there, they take off and do great. Try not to get too discouraged. I know how hard it is, but you're still early in the process. It's hard to remember that the surgery alone doesn't give you the benefit of the band; most people don't have much (or any) restriction before they get their fills, and I've heard many, many people say that they didn't feel any restriction until very close to their sweet spot. We just have to hang in there, keep working the band, and stick it out. You're gonna get there!! :unsure:

sometimes it takes more than one or two fills to get restriction. it took my fourth fill. then i started to drop pounds but mines only happens when i get fill.hang in their. it will happen.you are only out a month. after losing 19 lbs after post-op my doctor told me don,t expectto lose any more weight. until i started getting my fills.

Not even two months and you are eating dessert and drinking wine? I'm not surprised you are not losing. The band can only do so much. It's your job to watch what goes into your mouth. Is more restriction going to keep you away from sugars? I dont think so.

She said she's having those things "once in a while". Even if indulging once in a while slows down weight loss, it shouldn't stop it completely, right?

Not even two months and you are eating dessert and drinking wine? I'm not surprised you are not losing. The band can only do so much. It's your job to watch what goes into your mouth. Is more restriction going to keep you away from sugars? I dont think so.

Wow, that was a really rude response to someone struggling!!

If I had the willpower or desire for that matter to cut out all dessert/wine from my diet completely on my own, do you think I would have shelled out $16,500 from my checking account to be banded? The band is a TOOL - I get that. It isn't going to do it for me. I'm working out (training for a triathlon) and eating healthy! I certainly doubt a glass of wine on a Saturday night or a few bites of a dessert once in awhile will completely screw everything up.

You're all or nothing attitude could evenutally get you in to trouble, so be careful. And maybe think through your responses to others on this board. We're all in this together, you know.

All or nothing attitude? Look, I'm completely sorry if you think I came across as rude or insensitive. And this will not be the first time someone has accused someone else of being rude because they don't like the things the read. So I apologize if I hurt your feelings. But perhaps you need to hear something like that for you to get on the right path.

Before my surgery I was told (by my surgeon) that some people, for whatever reason, don't lose weight after getting the band. I asked "because they aren't eating correctly or exercising?" And she said "no. Just because. We dont know why they can't lose weight." Whoa.

Obviously I went through with the surgery. I'm four months out. I was told very clearly...no alcohol for six months. Have you ever bothered to look at the nutritional value of wine? Look, all I'm saying is...now more than ever in your whole entire life, it is imperative that you eat healthy. I'm not saying "don't have a small piece of birthday cake when your (enter friend/relative here) has a party". What I'm saying is...not even two months out and you're "cheating?" You still need to train yourself. That's all I'm saying. I haven't had it easy either. But I was given a pretty good guideline/diet book before my surgery. And I've prety much stuck with it. I spent 33 years eating whatever the hell I wanted, and you're right...I didn't get this very expensive surgery to mess it all up.

So I really do apologize if you think I'm rude. I'm really sorry. But join a support group. talk to your surgeon, or better yet, your nutritionist. Go over your food diary (are you keeping one of those?) And hopefully they can help steer you in the right direction. I'm just guessing (and I'm no professional) that if you aren't losing weight, the nutritionist isn't going to OK the sweets and wine. That's all I'm saying! Saline in your band isn't going to fix what's going in your mouth.

I understand what you're saying, Schmoopy, but you are coming across very badly. What you also need to remember is that this isn't some fad diet. This is a total life change, and it can be really difficult to change habits that you've had for a lifetime. I think it's much more realistic to expect that people will allow themselves a treat once in a while.

This isn't just a band on the stomach. There are all sorts of emotional and mental issues that are at play too. How about we judge less and support more?

I couldn't have said it better, prettyontheinside. This isn't a magic fix and there is certainly a lot more at play besides just "saying no." If it was that easy, we all wouldn't be here. Thank you for your kindness and understanding. That's exactly what I was looking for ... my best to you on your journey.

I'm glad it helps, surfergirl. As far as slow weightloss goes, I know how you're feeling too. I'm pretty new on this journey aswell, and haven't got the right restriction yet. My weightloss is slow as result of that too. I had my second fill yesterday, so I am hoping things will start happening for me soon.

You mentioned that you have 45 pounds to lose... Perhaps it will take a little while to find the right restriction? I think when your start weight is lower, you have less fat around the stomach itself, and therefore fills may need to be more aggressive? I don't know, I'm guessing here. It's the only reason that I can think of that some people have 10 or 11ml bands, where the one I was given was only 9ml. My BMI at the time of the op was 33.

I guess it's an interesting thought at any rate.

Take care, good luck :blushing: You'll do great :laugh:

Surfergirl, not all gains can be measured on a scale. Did you take any measurments prior to being banded? If so, have you checked them since? How about your clothes? Do you notice any difference in the way they fit? Do you have any more energy? How about exercise? is it part of your routine?

Well Im stating my 2 cents. My doc told me the surgery helps you with 10 percent of your weigh loss. the rest is all you and your dedication to healthy eatign and exercise. I did my part and know that I can have my slice of cake or wine but only because I know I have control and that I control what I need, not my eyes. If my eyes were in control, Id be eating chocolate cake all day everyday loll.

Sorry but I am with Scmoopy on this one. I think it is real important to folow the nutrition guidelines in the beginning. My sister had her surgery a few years ago and she is struggling to stay on track after 2 years. As time goes by you start to be less dilligent and can put the weight on. If you don't say "no" now while trying to retrain your eating habits it will really be a struggle later on. One of the things my sister said is to stay away from the things that you used to over indulge in. If you try it now and think nothing will happen what is going to stop you later on. Scmoopy might have come off being a little harsh but I think her message is a good one to live by.

10% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding? if the doc told me that I wouldnt have had the surgery. I just find that hard to believe. Its gotta help more than that or almost EVERYONE would fail.( Im not saying your doc didnt say that it just blows my mind away if thats true.)

im sorry i think you guys are taking things to literally..... i dont think the band lost my weight for me i think the band motivated me i got this surgery for what to eat whatever i want? and the band to do all the work... not right... when i first started to lose and i got the band i was a complainer and said why isnt this working why cant i lose weight? and i realized im in control of my life and what i do... so with that and being determined i learn to eat correctly and exercise... alot of people say they exercise but do they really? one thing i would suggest is try a bodybugg.

bodybugg.com you would be surprised that you are not using your all on a machine and you will need to work a bit more harder. i see so many people at the gym on a machine but they aren't even breaking a sweat... but to them its exercise... but i do think the 10 percent thing is prob pretty true... its all in our minds and its about being determined and changing your life... dont knock what people say sometimes being "rude" or "mean" is something people need to hear i know i did when i got banded and it help me alot.

its pretty simple look at what calories you burn and look at calories you intake i promise you you will lose weight with a food journal and burning a good amount of calories a day and sticking to healthier choices. give you an example Cereal do you really want to eat special k or kashi? special k has less calories but has alot of crap in it. kashi has more calories but it has the calories to fuel you into helping you feel fuller last longer and even help you burn calories faster. its hard to know these things. but it well worth learning about it it will be a tool you use for the rest of your life.

good luck on your journey and please dont get upset..... its your body and your choices think about what you want and make it happen