Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Food Stuck and Pbing

Well, I had my first major episode today with food getting stuck and sliming (or at least what I think sliming is). I met a male high school friend for lunch today at Moe's Southwest Grill. I ordered from the kids menu and got the Moo Moo Mr. Cow - it's a 4" x 2" burrito - filled with chicken, rice, black Beans, salsa and cheese. It also comes with tortilla chips, but I didn't eat them.

I cut the burrito with a knife and ate it with a fork - taking very small bites and chewing, chewing, chewing. After my last bite I started getting the "stuck" feeling and knew that I had to start spitting my saliva or it was going to hurt more. I went into the bathroom for a couple of minutes and then came out. I told my friend that we needed to go sit in my car and talk for the rest of our lunch date because I needed to be near a cup to spit in. I was so embarrassed but luckily he knew I had the lap band and is very supportive.

Normally things clear up within a few minutes when I have this feeling. This time around it hurt like hell for 55 minutes. We just sat in my car for the whole time because I was too weak and light headed from the pain to drive. I filled a medium size fast food cup half way with my saliva during that hour. He kept asking me what he could do to help and I said that I didn't know - that I thought time was the only thing that would help. So we sat it out. He was ready to bring me to the ER or to the doctors. I couldn't believe how long it went on. I did some pbing and they hurt so much. I also was getting the hiccups and they hurt also. It seemed like just when things were getting better, I would burp or hiccup and the shooting pain would start all over again.

So - my question is - is there anything but time that will make things better? Does walking around help? He suggested it but I knew that I needed to be near a cup to spit and I didn't want to do that in public.

I've been trying to figure out what caused it. I did get a fill two weeks ago and have noticed a considerable difference in this fill. I am finally feeling like I have the restrictions that I have been wanting. My portion sizes have shrunk a lot. I didn't feel full or that I was eating too much at the time. Do you think that the chicken, black beans or rice caused this? I'm thinking that I should start "testing" those food items individually to see if they might be the issue. I know that there are some lap banders that have a problem with rice and Pasta.< /span>

If you have pbing and have had it go on for an hour - can you tell me what tips you might have used to lesson the amount of pain, if there is any. I really couldn't believe how long it lasted. I hope to never deal with something like that again.

You went almost a year without a stuck episode? amazing! They are few and far in between for me, but occasionally I forget and get the reminder.

It might have been the rice. . .

I can't eat rice or tortillas at all! I can sometimes have corn tortillas, but not flour. Rice ALWAYS causes me to PB. I've only tried it 4 times, even just a very small amount of rice mixed with veggies, but it still made me PB. I cannot have rice, and now I am certain to stay away from it for fear of a slip.

WOW, that is a long time post surgery. Sliming and PB'ing are no fun. I have sinus/ allergy problems that contribute to my episodes. Mine are related to nasal drainage and I take Mucinex to control that. Walking helps me but i have a towel or something with me in case I do start. One person in a local group found drinking pineapple juice was the only thing that helped her. If i have food stuck, and it won't move,I may try sipping Water to speed up the process.

Edited by sue in ne

I have been having a lot of this lately. Along with really bad heartburn. I have found the only thing that helps is getting it out. If I get something stuck, I PB. I even had refried Beans get stuck (which have always gone down fine) lately, and I am sure it is this damn heartburn.

I had exactly the same thing for over an hour. I went to this web site for advice. One lady said to lay down. That sure did it for me.

ALS74, been there. I back up on my food consistency, making it moister and softer, even with Beans. If it continues, try full liquids for a while. The 1st time it hit me, I was told to go to full liquids for 24 hours, then slowly increase the food consistency. Now when i find a problem food, I look at it's consistency and moisture.

Well, I had my first major episode today with food getting stuck and sliming (or at least what I think sliming is). I met a male high school friend for lunch today at Moe's Southwest Grill. I ordered from the kids menu and got the Moo Moo Mr. Cow - it's a 4" x 2" burrito - filled with chicken, rice, black Beans, salsa and cheese. It also comes with tortilla chips, but I didn't eat them.

I cut the burrito with a knife and ate it with a fork - taking very small bites and chewing, chewing, chewing. After my last bite I started getting the "stuck" feeling and knew that I had to start spitting my saliva or it was going to hurt more. I went into the bathroom for a couple of minutes and then came out. I told my friend that we needed to go sit in my car and talk for the rest of our lunch date because I needed to be near a cup to spit in. I was so embarrassed but luckily he knew I had the LAP-BAND® and is very supportive.

Normally things clear up within a few minutes when I have this feeling. This time around it hurt like hell for 55 minutes. We just sat in my car for the whole time because I was too weak and light headed from the pain to drive. I filled a medium size fast food cup half way with my saliva during that hour. He kept asking me what he could do to help and I said that I didn't know - that I thought time was the only thing that would help. So we sat it out. He was ready to bring me to the ER or to the doctors. I couldn't believe how long it went on. I did some pbing and they hurt so much. I also was getting the hiccups and they hurt also. It seemed like just when things were getting better, I would burp or hiccup and the shooting pain would start all over again.

So - my question is - is there anything but time that will make things better? Does walking around help? He suggested it but I knew that I needed to be near a cup to spit and I didn't want to do that in public.

I've been trying to figure out what caused it. I did get a fill two weeks ago and have noticed a considerable difference in this fill. I am finally feeling like I have the restrictions that I have been wanting. My portion sizes have shrunk a lot. I didn't feel full or that I was eating too much at the time. Do you think that the chicken, black beans or rice caused this? I'm thinking that I should start "testing" those food items individually to see if they might be the issue. I know that there are some lap banders that have a problem with rice and Pasta.< /span>

If you have pbing and have had it go on for an hour - can you tell me what tips you might have used to lesson the amount of pain, if there is any. I really couldn't believe how long it lasted. I hope to never deal with something like that again.

USUALLY I HAVE TRAPPED GAS WITH MINE. SOMETIMES MINE LAST FOR HOURS.ONLY TIME THAN HOURS LATER A DIET SPRITE ZERO:wub:

I know everyone probably has a quick cure for getting stuck but I will tell you what has worked for me the few times I have had a stuck episode. It forces you to PB but better to do that than to be miserable. I have my husband slap me real hard on my back right where my chest is on the front side. It works everytime. The food comes right up and I don't have to be miserable until it goes down. There was one time when I didn't have anyone around and I used a cutting board and slapped myself on the back with it and it worked also.

OK, Greytz, I pulled a visual on you and the cutting board meeting up, I think you should tether your hubby to you at mealtimes!!!! I am glad it worked and relieved your misery.

Mimi

I know everyone probably has a quick cure for getting stuck but I will tell you what has worked for me the few times I have had a stuck episode. It forces you to PB but better to do that than to be miserable. I have my husband slap me real hard on my back right where my chest is on the front side. It works everytime. The food comes right up and I don't have to be miserable until it goes down. There was one time when I didn't have anyone around and I used a cutting board and slapped myself on the back with it and it worked also.

So you burped yourself?? God love you! That is the first time in a long time that I laughed out loud!! Thanks for sharing!

USUALLY I HAVE TRAPPED GAS WITH MINE. SOMETIMES MINE LAST FOR HOURS.ONLY TIME THAN HOURS LATER A DIET SPRITE ZERO:wub:

Mine lasts for hours too! I lay down and when I wake up, it usually subsided. Yikes, it is bothersome though!

Ok. Ok. Sounds hilarious I know but it works. By the way, it was a very small cutting board. It does sound weird like I am a little baby again. Ha Ha. LOL

Yep, I find it better to throw up than to wait until it dissolves.( reduces sliming) i end up with tears in my eyes when it gets stuck.