Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you have to take off work?

Hi There! I am an Air Force wife just approved by Tricare, yay :biggrin: I was wondering how long everyone had to take off work. My sister-in-law had it done and only took off a week, but when I was talking with the nurse she said I should try to take off 6 weeks, yikes!

Don't ask the nurse, ask the surgeon! LOL

I was a nursing student when I had my surgery. My surgeon told me that "most" of the nurses he operates on take a week off. Nursing can be pretty physical. I adjusted that for my state of physical fitness (or lack there of) and figured that since my "clinical" experiences were just 1 day a week, I'd be good to go in about 10 days. So I had my surgery on Friday, was IN CLASS (lecture) on the next Tuesday, and by the NEXT Tuesday was handling my clinical experience (including still being on liquids) just fine.

It depends on you, your state of health, how you perceive and tolerate pain, what type of job you do, etc. 6 weeks is too long though. This is laparoscopic and even people who have a tough time post op usually feel better by 3 weeks.

It also depends on your surgeon. For example, if they remove the gas they pump into you to spread your organs out, you feel less pain and therefore recovery more quickly. However...not all remove or even TRY to remove it. How skilled your surgeon is, how long it takes him/her to place the band (how long he is in there moving things around, messing with your innards) makes a difference!

That's why I say ask him. If it REALLY takes his patients 6 weeks to recover I truly would find another surgeon!

But generally 2 weeks is good, unless you have some issues. And that 2nd week you may be "vacationing" more than recovering! :biggrin:

I have a desk job as well but feel you need a week just to rest up , get the gas an anethesia out of you. I was tired a lot my 1st week and did not really feel myself til into the 2nd week. I was working out but really did not feel that with it. It's both a major surgery-laprascopic or not,and it's a major life change.. if you can take a couple weeks of to adapt, rest and try to aclimate yourself to your life changes... I for one think you should. STD will cover this time if you have it. I have freinds who did the full 6 weeks and they have been very successful. It had nothing to do with the dr.s competency, but rather, the drs. stated that they should use this time to incorp. the changes in their life they needed-eating habit-speed,excersise,prioritize etc. It's not a nessesity but it would be great for anybody with the opportunity.:(

Well I did 3 days and was successful; for many of us we aren't even on solid foods until week 6 anyway (depending on your post op diet). I personally would never feel good taking 6 weeks off of work just to practice chewing small bites well, but that's just me!

And yes, how quickly one recovers depends, as I said, on many factors, including the doctor's competency.

I'm taking 2 weeks. I had planned on taking one week, but that week is almost up and I just don't feel ready to go back yet. I have a physically easy, but mentally demanding job. So, I'm going to give it one more week before I go back.

I was banded on aug25 and I am still off work, I went to see my own GP and he insists that I stay off for another 4 weeks, he says I need to stay to prepare myself and body for my new life changes. personally I feel OK to go back to work and feel quite guilty for not going back, however, I have to travel a good distance to get to my job and my job is very stressfull. I am rarely off sick and my employer (government job) will pay me for up to 6 months full pay, so I suppose I should take advantage of my doctors advice, I do think he is being over cautious though:unsure:

I had my band done on Friday and returned to work on weds. My job is pretty physical really should have taken at least 7 days. If you can take 6 weeks and get paid for it do it :(

4-6 weeks sounds like a lot to me. My surgeon's paperwork says 1 week but they also told me people HAVE had the surgery on Friday and gone back on Tuesday. I went back on Wednesday and did a bit of work from home on Tuesday.

i have the gas but it isn't horrible and they told me that takes weeks to go away. it was worse the first couple of days. I went back soon as I was off the Lortab plus a day.

I had surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Wednesday. I was supposed to go back on Tuesday but couldn't make it!

Honestly, I wish that I could have afforded two weeks off. I was exhausted when I got home every night for a while.

I had my surgery on Thurs - spent the night in the hospital (mandatory) went home Friday, went and got a pedicure and went to the hair salon on Sat. I went back to work on Tues. I was not scheduled to go back until Wed. but I felt fine. It all depends on you and how strong you are and how good your surgeon is.

I work construction i took 3 weeks off

Hi Annette my Dr. wouldn't release me for 6 weeks I begged to go back after 1st fill at 5 weeks he said ok so back to work 9-21. I work construction steamfitter I had a previous hernia repair in 08 so he wouldn't take the chance. I felt ready at 3 weeks the hernia was 4 weeks off.I hope this helps Steve

Hi Annette my Dr. wouldn't release me for 6 weeks I begged to go back after 1st fill at 5 weeks he said ok so back to work 9-21. I work construction steamfitter I had a previous hernia repair in 08 so he wouldn't take the chance. I felt ready at 3 weeks the hernia was 4 weeks off.I hope this helps Steve