Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panniculectomy appeal success!

Hi all, I'm so excited, I just found out that my appeal of the denial of my panniculectomy was successful, and now my procedure is approved as medically necessary! This is important for me because even though I am only 1/3 of the way to my final goal, my pannus was already quite extended before my surgery, and my weight loss has only exacerbated it - with rashes, back problems, etc. I know I will still need cosmetic surgery when I get to my goal weight, probably a lower body lift, but this will make it a lot easier to exercise and improve my health while I am getting there.

Has anyone on this list had a panniculectory while they were still quite far from their goal weight? Does anyone have any advice for me? Now that it's real I'm starting to get slightly scared, but also excited. I will be so glad to see that ugly pannus gone forever (but probably more skin to be loosened as I continue to lose weight). I will also need that LBL or Tummy Tuck to tighten the muscles and reposition the belly button as the panniculectomy will not do that.

i had a panniculectomy and a mini tuck almost 4 weeks ago...i was at goal....i am extremely happy with the results...i've had a few complications...but i love that apron of skin not hanging...i've exercised since day 1 of my surgery...but i run with such ease now...without that skin flopping around...i feel much lighter and i don't know if its just me...but i feel like i walk different too....ooo and clothes fit way better...i have pix posted if ur interested...

2FlyGuys, thanks for your response. I just looked at your pictures and wow, you look so great! Of course I won't look anything like that after my panniculectomy because I'm not at goal yet, but I am looking forward to this surgery.

I'm so excited! My panniculectomy is scheduled for this Thursday, October 8. Wish me luck, girls! Of course I still have a long ways to go, but I will be so glad to get rid of this hanging flap of skin. It will make it much easier to exercise and will help so much with rashes. I wonder how much weight the doctor will end up cutting off? Ironic but this surgery will most likely catipult me over the 100-pound weight loss milestone...

Kathy:

I'll be thinking of you. Best wishes on your panni on Thursday! Let us know how you make out.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I just had my panniculectomy on Thursday, two days ago. Everything went very smoothly. I spent one night in the hospital, but honestly I would have been just fine if I went home the same day. The pain really hasn't been too bad at all. I'm keeping up with the vicodin, and I'm only in a little bit of mild pain when I need to stand up or sit down. The rest of the time it is more discomfort than pain. I'm still wearing a binder, but I got a good look at my naked belly yesterday finally when I got home from the hospital, and I have to say I think the doctor did a good job on me, considering that this was technically a medical, not cosmetic procedure. And I am still far from my goal weight. But the pannus is gone and my overall shape is much improved. And it will be a lot easier to exercise without that huge pannus. And no more rashes. I do have a freakishly low belly button now, but when I reach my goal weight I intend to have a lower body lift in which he will reposition my belly button at that time. Of course that surgery I will have to pay for myself.

The one thing I was afraid of, from looking at panniculectomy pictures on the internet, was that I would look like I had a carved out lower belly on top of my previously existing bulging upper belly. But the surgeon managed to more or less flatten and stretch things out a bit, so that my upper belly bulge is flatter and looks mostly consistent with my lower belly. In other words, I look like my fat could have been distributed this way naturally, as opposed to some freakish after-effects of lopping off part of your belly willy nilly. Does that make sense? I saw some pictures on the internet that looked scary, and I didn't want to end up with scary freaky belly.

The doctor cut off 14 pounds of skin and fat, but I don't see all of those results on the scale yet due to swelling which is still pretty severe. In fact, I still cannot get my wedding ring on! So I am trying to drink a lot of Water and get walking as much as possible. Can't wait to get rid of these drains, too!

Congrats Kathy! I'm so excited for you. I want mine cut off too, but am a bit worried about the upper belly skin hanging over - so glad to hear the result is better than you'd expected! Take good care & keep me posted please, I'll be there too as soon as I can afford it!!

Congratulations! I just received my first denial in the mail today for my Tummy Tuck. I'm a little discouraged, but after having to appeal my WLS two times before winning approval I'm ready to put up another good fight : ) Do you have any suggestions or tips for appeal? Any sample letters that you, your surgeon, or PCP wrote would be great as well. Thanks in advance!

I just had my panniculectomy on Thursday, two days ago. Everything went very smoothly. I spent one night in the hospital, but honestly I would have been just fine if I went home the same day. The pain really hasn't been too bad at all. I'm keeping up with the vicodin, and I'm only in a little bit of mild pain when I need to stand up or sit down. The rest of the time it is more discomfort than pain. I'm still wearing a binder, but I got a good look at my naked belly yesterday finally when I got home from the hospital, and I have to say I think the doctor did a good job on me, considering that this was technically a medical, not cosmetic procedure. And I am still far from my goal weight. But the pannus is gone and my overall shape is much improved. And it will be a lot easier to exercise without that huge pannus. And no more rashes. I do have a freakishly low belly button now, but when I reach my goal weight I intend to have a lower body lift in which he will reposition my belly button at that time. Of course that surgery I will have to pay for myself.

The one thing I was afraid of, from looking at panniculectomy pictures on the internet, was that I would look like I had a carved out lower belly on top of my previously existing bulging upper belly. But the surgeon managed to more or less flatten and stretch things out a bit, so that my upper belly bulge is flatter and looks mostly consistent with my lower belly. In other words, I look like my fat could have been distributed this way naturally, as opposed to some freakish after-effects of lopping off part of your belly willy nilly. Does that make sense? I saw some pictures on the internet that looked scary, and I didn't want to end up with scary freaky belly.

The doctor cut off 14 pounds of skin and fat, but I don't see all of those results on the scale yet due to swelling which is still pretty severe. In fact, I still cannot get my wedding ring on! So I am trying to drink a lot of Water and get walking as much as possible. Can't wait to get rid of these drains, too!

Hi FutureSkinnyKathy!

You're one of the first people I've seen who has had the Panni removal before getting to goal. I am having mine removed on 12/2. I've just started really stressing about it. I have about 70lbs to go before I reach goal. I've lost over 160lbs. I get afraid that I may look like you feared and that makes me wonder if I should wait. I'm paying cash for my surgery. I need it because I have so many problems with my back. Now that you're several weeks post-op. How do you feel about your decision? Are you still please? Do you have pictures posted anywhere here on LBT or anywhere else? Would you mind sharing them with me? It's so hard to find someone in the same situation as I am. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us!

I am a little more than 3 weeks post-op and I am still glad that I did it. However, in my case I was probably only 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to goal when I did it, and I was able to get insurance to cover it. I fully intend to get a lower body lift when I get to goal or near it, which I know I will have to pay for out of pocket. So the difference is that (1) I got insurance to cover this surgery, and (2) I still have a long way to go before I reach my final goal. Also, my doctor told me that my pannus was so severe that if I lost all my weight and then came to him for the final surgery, he would have to stage it into two operations anyway. So I might as well have the first operation sooner rather than later.

As for how I feel about it now, I am having quite a bit of swelling still so it is hard to say. My upper belly does protrude now more than it did before the surgery, and the lower belly is protruding more also. It's kind of discouraging, especially since I am actually gaining weight in the last week or so even though I have been pretty good on my diet. I have heard that swelling peaks at three weeks after surgery (not sure where I read that though) so I am hoping that it will start to go down now.

So with those caveats, I will say that I am slightly less thrilled now than I was right after the surgery with the way my tummy looks overall. My upper belly does protrude more than my lower belly. However, a good pair (or 4 or 5 pair) of Spanx does wonders. I started wearing them a few weeks ago in lieu of the binding garment (with my doctor's approval) but I think I will keep wearing them indefinitely as they really improve my figure and are quite comfortable. I bought the "higher power" power panties that go from mid-thigh to a few inches above the waist. That way they cover the upper and lower belly, hips, and upper thighs. All my problem areas.

Did you try to get insurance to cover your surgery? It seems that if you have lost that much weight and are having back problems you could make an argument. Do you ever get rashes under your pannus? That is the usual argument for insurance to cover it.

Oh, I realized that I didn't answer all of your questions so here is a few more points. Yes, I am still glad that I did the surgury but keep in mind that my situation is not the same as yours. Perhaps if I was in your situation I would want to push for insurance coverage, or consider waiting and then getting a full Tummy Tuck, or even getting a full tummy tuck now.

And yes, I have pictures. As they are pretty graphic I would rather not post them on the internet. However, if you PM me your email address I would be happy to email them to you. Kathy

Oh, I realized that I didn't answer all of your questions so here is a few more points. Yes, I am still glad that I did the surgury but keep in mind that my situation is not the same as yours. Perhaps if I was in your situation I would want to push for insurance coverage, or consider waiting and then getting a full Tummy Tuck, or even getting a full tummy tuck now.

And yes, I have pictures. As they are pretty graphic I would rather not post them on the internet. However, if you PM me your email address I would be happy to email them to you. Kathy

Actually, my surgeon says he'll do an extended tummy tuck for me. But he says that I'll need a revision after I get to goal. I am okay with that. In my mind, it's just to get the lower stomach removed. I'm also having my arms done. My arms are over 30 inches around. The more I lose, the bigger they get from the hanging skin.

My insurance absolutely will not cover anything plastic surgery related, regardless if I have horrible rashes and severe backaches. I have tried, but there is no way. I found a surgeon who will do both my extended TT and my brachioplasty for less than $9K.

I have several friends who have had plastics in the last couple of months and what you describe is what they are dealing with too. Severe swelling is very normal up to months and months post-op. I bet you will be much happier with your results after all your swelling is gone.

Here is my email address: Sljjsd@yahoo.com. I am willing to send you my before pics when I take them.

Thanks Kathy!!!

take care,

dee~

Oh that is cool. I'll bet you will look like a totally new woman with an extended Tummy Tuck after losing 160 pounds. $9k to do that plus arms is a great price, I think. Where is that? In the US? When it comes time to do my lower body lift I may choose to travel somewhere where the surgery can be done more cheaply since I will have to pay for it all out of pocket. My plastic surgeon quoted me a little over $9k just to do the panni, no tummy tuck and no arms. But I live in the San Francisco bay are and prices are quite high here.

I will send you pictures tomorrow. Right now I have to finish getting ready for a Halloween party. I am so excited, I am going as a sexy witch and even at my current weight I can pretty much pull it off. I have a black leather corset and fishnet stockings, a poofy net skirt and black leather boots, plus a witch's hat. Woo woo! Kathy