Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating - Really bizarre problem!!

Ok so this isn’t the type of issue most people on here complain about, but I’ve got a unique problem. I’ve lost pretty much all my desire to eat. Now- the psychological addiction to food is still quite real but it’s taken on a rather complicated appearance.

You see, it’s quite common that I find myself heading for Popeyes or KFC or some other equally fattening fast food restaurant. However, once I have the food in my hands, I begin to mull around unconsciously finding excuses not to sit down and eat. It’s a very expensive and pointless habit.

I went out to dinner with my family last night and spent the entire meal staring at my food, poking it with a fork and thinking, “I probably should eat some of it.” But after I take one or two bites, I lose interest and end up wasting pretty much the entire meal (we’re talking $10 or so). I DO take it home as leftovers- but it usually doesn’t get eaten.

I have good restriction, although I’ve not had a fill in over a year. But it’s not restriction that’s causing the problem- because I can tell internally that I’m not physically full. I’m just not interested. Some people would be like, “YAY!! THAT’S THE BEST PROBLEM IN THE WORLD TO HAVE!” and even four months ago I would have agreed. But I am at goal now – (I’ve lost 180 lbs) – and am trying to tone muscle – a task that becomes complicated when you aren’t giving your body the nutrients that it needs.

Also, because I AM still addicted to food, I find myself buying chocolate or ice cream or some other simple carb to make up for the lack of energy (more $$$ spent). The ONLY saving grace regarding that is, I am losing interest equally fast with sweet foods- so ice cream will sit in the freezer for months; Cookies boxes sit on the counter until they expire. Cake… well that would be a waste and a half. I don’t really feel guilty for buying the candy and sugary foods- because I don’t end up eating them anyway – but I do recognize that this is an incredibly bizarre and unhealthy habit to get into.

I should point out that I have very severe ADHD. It went undiagnosed my entire life because I was so overweight, the disorder never presented its self in a physical manner (wasn’t hyper) but rather in my behavior, work output and attention span. But once I began losing weight and quite literally bouncing off the walls, my own mother suggested I see a doctor. So for the last year, I’ve been on Adderall. Adderall does impact the appetite in some people (not all people tho) and never really caused me too many problems before.

My goal from the beginning of this surgery was to be healthy and I know what I’m doing now is NOT healthy. I have been contemplating a very slight unfill – but part of me is afraid I’d begin gaining weight. I also know that Adderall isn’t helping this problem at all, but can’t go off of the meds because I do need them in order to function normally (although ‘normally’ is a relative term).

Oh- also, I exercise every evening after work. Exercise has a history of absolutely destroying my appetite, but because of my work schedule, it’s kind of the only free time I have.

I want to eat healthy – this means healthy type and amount of calories. Right now I fluctuate anywhere from 300 calories a day to 1200 – weekends tend to see around 300 or so… can’t seem to sit still long enough to eat Breakfast or lunch. I am completely open to suggestions on what I can do about this.

:wink: <-- What is that?? (ADHD...)

first, congrats on the 180lbs lost.

you know 300 calories a day won't sustain you & isn't healthy at all.

i would look into meeting w/a behavioral therapist that specializes in eating disorders/weight loss surgery. what your doing is pretty counter to how the band should work.

i have ADD myself - so i laughed at your picture, i'll ask my husband a question and have already answered for him before he can open his mouth.....i move fast / easily distracted.

possibly supplementing w/a Protein drink to help with energy while you work on the food issues.??.

all the best & again congrats on the weight loss!

Kossde: You need to be evaluated by the doctor who prescribed the Adderall. Perhaps Wellbutrin or one of the other drugs would work better. Or maybe an adjustment in dosage. Or maybe take it every other day. But I suspect it is this drug that is affecting your appetite.

You are not getting the proper nutrients or calories and the buying of the food is just a throw back to your old habits. Your appetite has changed but your behavior is harder to change.

Lack of appetite is a sign of poor health and if it isn't the Adderall, then it could be something else, like your thyroid. Please make sure you get a complete check up and blood work. Good luck.

Lack of appetite is a sign of poor health and if it isn't the Adderall, then it could be something else, like your thyroid. Please make sure you get a complete check up and blood work. Good luck.

You know - I did not mention this earlier because I didnt even think of it. I have hypothyroidism. However, my doctor monitors it closely and with synthroid, I havent had any issues at all.

My primary care physician sees me once every six months and does a complete blood work-up because he isn't familiar with the lapband procedure and doesn't want to 'risk' anything by overlooking a potential nutritional deficit. So far, so good. I'm not even low in Iron or anemic.

Just a thought here, but maybe your big weightloss has had an impact on your medication, for example, you weigh less, so the same dose is now much too strong for you...I'm not a doctor, but you never know, that might explain why suddenly your medication is effecting you in new ways. Are you nauseous when you eat? Can you force yourself to eat a healthy meal? You should definately talk to your family doctor.

Just a thought here, but maybe your big weightloss has had an impact on your medication, for example, you weigh less, so the same dose is now much too strong for you...I'm not a doctor, but you never know, that might explain why suddenly your medication is effecting you in new ways. Are you nauseous when you eat? Can you force yourself to eat a healthy meal? You should definately talk to your family doctor.

That's actually really good advice. It IS entirely possible that the medicine is impacting me differently than it used to. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow and discuss it with him. I'm not nauseous after I eat so I CAN force myself to eat a healthy meal. I just dont always realize I'm not eating until well after the fact. I'll have to be more careful from now on, that's for sure

I have something similar but not quite the extreme. I am a foodie and LOVE to cook.. I will cook excessive amounts of food only to have 2 bites most of the time. I get about 500-1000 calories a day in food. I have been working to up that even though I get very bored while eating.

Like Lu as well I talk fast/ answer my own questions/easily distracted.

I recently began dishing my plate first and picking at it while I am getting the kids and DH's plates served. I then make it a point to sit down at the dinner table. In our house family eats together period. I don't move until everyone is done. I have upp'd my calories that way.

I don't have hunger pang since my last fill almost a year ago. I don't even think it's possible for me to feel it. I only eat by the clock.

If you're on adderol you're probably aware that it is an appetite suppressant as well? Exercise for most also suppresses as you mentioned. If I were you I would see the doc about your meds and explain the issue and be honest with him.

Maybe he can lower the dose based upon the weight lost, see a counselor who specializes in eating disorders and weightloss surgery, Move the time you exercise.