Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets - Part 5!

Michelle~

We were just talking about you!!!! All good of course. SOOO glad your back, and can't wait to see pix! So are you tan, relaxed, and feelin' groovey???

WE are thinking of buying a brand spankin' new house, 4 bed, 4 bath 3000 sq. ft house. We were prequalified today for the loan...and are "discussing it" now. It is $600K but we can get it for $525 w/ a designer pool and spa by putting $50 down. Going back and forth. We both own homes, but want/need something new. Michelle and Haydee can attest to how freakin' small my kitchen is. What to do What to do??? Susanne said, Ask the Violets!?! So...what do you think??? Don't sit on this one too long...we are supposed to move on this tomorrow or Monday! Below is the link for the community. We are looking at residence #2.

New Homes in Palm Springs CA - The Enclave at Sunrise | New Homes Palm Desert, New Homes La Quinta CA, New Homes Palm Springs CA, New Homes Rancho Mirage CA, New Homes in the Coachella Valley

Good morning, Violets..

Glad to have you home again, Michelle!!! We LOVED Mexico!

PamELa.. that home is so far out of my league in size and price, I couldn't begin to give you an opinion!! It's a whole different world than here in my little house in the northwoods.

I'm off to get ready for church, even though I really don't want to go. It's the big Annual Meeting and I just know nothing is going to happen and nothing is going to change and I'm going to have to stick it out till June and then be done.

Bob got sick during the night, but has to preach today. He's taken some motion sickness pills and is feeling like he can make it. I was so hoping he didn't get what I got. It totally wiped me out for a day and a half.

Everyone have a great day today. Will check back in later.

Ummm, ok, because you asked... my opinion is... if you can swing it financially, then DO IT! Wowza!

I do like your cute little house... but I also know your frustrations with it... really, should the closet be the best room in the house? :scared2: And wouldn't it be nice to be able to open the 'frig AND the dishwasher at the same time, while someone is walking in from the garage? & the master bath in the new one... calgon take me away!!

Also, I remember that you had plans to re-do the backyard (undig that hot tub?)... this way you'd have a gorgeous backyard w/pool to chunky dunk in w/little to no work on your part!

As Haydee always says, everything is so close in PS, so location probably isn't a problem (as far as a longer commute to work/play)...

You could rent or sell your current houses...

The only "negative" that popped into my mind was that maybe it's too big / MORE space than you need? 4 bedrooms? You know what THAT means -- no more Violets @ the Spa -- your house would BE the Spa!

& Susanne would have more to clean... :cursing:

What are you two thinking? pros/cons...?

How exciting!!! (I'm so glad I got back in time to weigh in on this!)

Hi Judy! We were posting @ the same time!!

Yes, we liked Mexico, so relaxing... but I think being on the island might have been a bit different than a cruise... we got to see the daily living conditions & poverty up close... all the feral cats & dogs (dd had a cat "adopt" her & it'd be waiting for her on the porch every morning & eve, meowing...). Some parts of the island would be nice & lovely & beautiful, then you'd walk 1/2 block & there'd be an abandoned building w/bricks & trash & a toilet in the front yard, broken bottles, wires on the ground... one night we were walking back to the hotel and the kids saw some children playing -- with a brick! So the close proximity of plenty & need was unsettling... But the people were all so friendly and happy and helpful and beautiful... it was a learning experience for all of us...

Hey Girls~

We had to sleep on it...our minds were spinning. Being prequaled didn't help...cause we CAN make this happen. This morning we sat down and looked at $ in and $ out. While we CAN make it happen...we've decided that we don't WANT to live that close to the vest. What would a big luxurious house do, if when we have people over we can only give them Top Ramen and Keystone beer (not that there is anything wrong w/ that). The monthly payments would be about 2k each (taxes, ins., mortgage, etc)...and that doesn't include any bills yet! We are off to breaky and then we are going to look at some other less pricey houses that meets what we want...bigger kitchen, pool/spa, bigger bath. Additionally, this past week taught us we don't want a flat roof again!! (rain is evil on them).

OK...thanks for the input. It was so helpful to hear. Writing down income and outcome helped us realize it is a bit too much. Plus, if something ever happened to one of us (God forbid) we would be in a bad place...in a bigass house, that we couldn't afford.

bbl

Home is where the heart is!

You'll find the right one when you're supposed to... until then, enjoy the hunt!

My inlaws just left for their drive back to NJ... they have a week to do their laundry, then they leave next Sun. for Puerta Vallarta for the month of Feb! Rough life! Today is their 50th wedding anniversary! Amazing!!

Still in pj's... trying to squeek out as much slothfulness as possible today before returning to reality... altho the laundry & empty 'frig are calling... & ds wants to go to the barn... sigh... adios r&r! lol...

Hello, I missed being able to put in my 2 cents. If you want to move to Missouri my sisters house is up for sale. It doesn't have a hot tub, but there is more than enough room for you to add one. There is an inground pool. It is about the same size theirs is 3500 sq ft I believe. It also is much cheaper.

Went and saw "Grease", it was really good. For any AI fans Taylor Hicks played the 'teen angel' and Ace Young played John Travoltas role. There was such a big deal made over Taylor Hicks that I didn't even know Ace Young was in it.

Michelle, I am glad you enjoyed your trip - the visits to real life.

Judy I hope Bob is alright............

Off to a party for Charlie, I don't want to go, but I must............

Good evening, Violets..

Well, Bob made it to church and everything went well. I said a lot of prayers that he would be ok for the service. We just got back from a special church service tonight that Bob preached at. He did a great job. I just love listening to him and I'm not just saying that cause I'm "the wife". ;)

The meeting after church was interesting. Everyone knows there is a problem, but nobody wants to confront it. Sooooo there will be a Town Hall meeting sometime soon so that everyone can get their say in. And so it goes. The pastor is going away next week to a career assessment seminar. Hopefully they will tell him he's not cut out to be a pastor. I could have told him that for free!!!

Desperate Housewives is a repeat tonight.. darn. Guess I'll head to bed and read. I'm just about done with Breathless by Dean Koontz. I read Half Broke Horses before we left for the cruise and had read Glass Castles so really enjoyed it.

Jane... Taylor Hicks sure didn't do much after AI, did he?? I watched a marathon of America's Next Top Model while I was babysitting Grady Saturday. One of the judges one episode was Clay Aiken... I LOVE that guy!!!

Everyone have a good evening.. sleep well..

Ohhh.. there was a reception after the service tonight. They had sugar Cookies the size of saucers along with other cookies, spice cake and bundt cake. I had zippo... Have not had any sweets since the cruise. I've hit the Protein hard and cut back on carbs and still gained back one of the two pounds I lost when I was sick. Guess I really need to boost the exercise part of this journey.

good evening my lovely violets! michelle so happy to have you back! i can't wait to see pics...

i went out of town with my mother in law for a few days but i'm so glad to be home... today was a lazy sunday. went to my mom's business to eat lunch with her and my sisters. Then Juan wanted to go to target practice with his brother so we went and did that...

judy! oh so sorry that you've been so sick! that wedding that you went to sounded just perfect in size and setting. i wanted a small wedding desperately but everyone else thought otherwise, LOL. I'm glad Kris gets back soon so that she can help with grady. you must be exhausted but full of grandbaby love!!

pammy - haven't clicked on the link above but what you say is true. we can afford a bigger house but then we would have to cut back on all our "play" money. that would suck! we like going out to eat and going on vacation a couple times a year. just like you said, find something that has your needs, ie: bigger kitchen, but that doesn't eat up all your budget each month leaving you a prisoner in your beautiful new home...

janey! thanks so much for the tweezers. so sweet of you! i can't wait to see pics of your new do! my hair is getting so so long. you'll see when you come down... i'm growing it out for the wedding but will cut it the day after! i'm so sick of it and can't do anything with it but the style that i want is long loose cascading curls... key word being long...

michelle - so glad you had a great time. we are thinking of going to a new resort on playa mujeres for our honeymoon. what hotel did you stay at on the island? During our stay on playa mujeres we plan on crossing over to the island for a day to go shopping and exploring. what beach/excursion do you recommend?

ahhhhh, i'm so exhausted. gonna check up on Facebook then crawl into bed with my book... talk to ya'll tomorrow!

Hello, Charlies party wasn't too bad.

I am going to have to figure out how to send the tweezers. I went to buy padded envelopes and they were a dollar and half, so I didn't buy them. It is my cheapness coming out!! So I think I am going to McGyver something out, I mean they are little bitty tweezers, you guys will be so surprised!! I will come up with something.

Well I think I am going to bed........... I am tired and have a headache!!

Hi Girls~

We spent the day looking at houses Literally all day. We have a few good ones to look at. Will work w/ our agent this week. John (my bro) can't be the agent anymore cause he moved his business up the hill. But we like the guy we met yesterday and will work w/ him. We really want the house from yesterday...bad. Oh well...it will help to get into some houses this week to get our mind off the dream home.

Busy week this week. I have a meeting Thursday all day,and Friday I am "playing the principal". I have a sub and get to deal w/ naughty kids all day...sigh!

Will keep you posted on the house hunt! It is fun, but we have jobs and that sucks! Need to work on being independently wealthy, haha. I grew up poor...I can dream!

I am glad the Saints won, but sad the Jets lost. Oh well...the Steelers and Cardinals were out so it doesn't really matter anyway!

Pop in tomorrow from work...and I won't be working out in the am.

xoxox

Good morning, Violets..

No work for Joe today so no Ethan. Haven't seen him since Wednesday last week. I miss that little guy. He's all potty trained now, so that's a great thing!! I'll be at the hospital for awhile today for my shift. Nobody has done my job since I left on the cruise, so there will be a big back up of folders to make. Might be there 3 hours today. Then I'm going to come home and EXERCISE! I won't weigh in until Sunday.

Haydee... glad to have you back!! Saw Juan's pics on Facebook.

PamELa.. have fun on the house hunt!! I remember when we finally were able to get a house after living in parsonages all our married life. When I walked into this house I knew it was the one. We've been here 17 years now and I still like it, especially when it's just the 2 of us. It's just the right size. You know I love my back yard, pool and hot tub!! The only thing I wish we had was a formal dining room. Maybe someday!!

Off to get dressed, curl my hair, put on my makeup and have some tuna for Breakfast. Everyone make it a good day!!

Good Morning!

Back to real life... work/school/chores/activities...

Positive thought for the day, courtesy of "O" magazine, Jan. 2010:

How to Fix the Broken Record in Your Head (the one that's always saying you're not good enough):

Ah, the promise of a fresh new calendar -- a fresh new You! This is the year it will finally happen: You'll envision your ideal life, purge your bad habits, and sail on to perfection! For almost half an hour! At least, that's how long it takes for the burbling Maria von Trapp voice in my head to be drowned out by one that sounds more like Don Rickles. Don never lets Maria finish a thought:

"In 2010 I'm going to exercise during lunchtime..." "No, Walrus Girl, you're going to lunch during exercise time."

"I vow to stay calm no matter..." "You and how much Valium, Cruella?"

"I'll say affirmations to boost my self-esteem..." "Loser! Loser! Loser!"

How do I counteract this negativity? I have psychotic breaks. But that is not what you should do. You should follow these tips:

1. Recognize your negative voice as a 2-year-old's tantrum. Trying to reason with it only increases the hysteria. Instead, take your inner 2-year-old to a quiet place and let it throw its fit. Write down all the cruel judgments until they fade to a grumble.

2. Accept that some of your self-criticism may be true, but never let failure end the story. Instead of saying no to the negative voice, say, "Yes, and..." For example, "Yes, last year I jogged only as far as that new kielbasa stand... and I also managed to stop a few binges by reading trashy novels instead." Speaking of which...

3. Never just quit; always substitute. Bad habits fill needs, so find good alternatives to them. But remember, push-ups can't substitute for pancakes unless you love push-ups (in which case we will never be really close). Companionship, laughter, play -- these things can substitute for pancakes... most of the time. And that's enough.

4. Instead of planning to be perfect, plan to do a little better. Win 51% of the battles, and you'll win the war.

Welcome back to all of those violets who were lucky enough to find themselves away in pleasing locales.

I have to admit I am feeling a little green with envy over recent cruises, trips to Mexico, Hawaii, etc. Not to mention that beautiful house that Pamela was looking at . . . it would be hard not to be swept away.

Actually my husband and I made a decision to stick to housing that is half of what we can afford to pay . . . and make payments for the whole amount with half going into an untouchable bank account and the other going towards the house. We have made a decision to live below our means to get ahead and build a nice nest egg. It makes sense because we can still live very comfortably and instead of paying out extra interest . . . we are getting paid instead.

Janie, I love Grease, that would have been so much fun to see it.

Laura, Carson is a dynamo in that walker . . . that was awesome, let your poor dog beware.

Haydee, I love it that you have such a big, close family. You are truly blessed :0)

Out of curiousity, how many of the violets will be able to make it to Haydee's wedding???

Hello to everyone else :0)

Good afternoon, Violets..

I'm back from my hospital shift. The copy machines were down so I did what I could without having to copy anything. Still took me 2 hours. I came home and had some tuna salad for lunch and am now having some blueberries and cream. yums. Bob has to go out and get the fixin's for pressure cooker chili. I need to eat by 5 so I can get out to watch Grady by 6.

Good news.. remember the wedding I told you about last Friday... with the sleigh ride and elk viewing?? Well, they called today and want Bob to do a wedding out there May 22!! They usually contact the magistrate to do weddings there, but she got fired for embezzlement, so when we were out there, they asked if Bob would be interested in doing any weddings. You betcha!! And I go along with the package if they need music. So kewl. It's such a beautiful location.

Bob and I will be headed to Texas in May. :wink:

Off to finish my blueberries and finish packing for my overnight stay with Grady.