Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band rules you consistently 'break'?

Is/are there any rules that you simply cannot follow, no matter what?

i.e. some people have found it virtually impossible to not have even a little tiny bit of liquid w/meals, others drink carbonated drinks, etc.

Also, how soon after wls did you have your first alcoholic beverage?

TIA, everyone!

I haven't broken the rules. I want it too bad.

Thanks! Just what I need to hear!! Sounds like you are doing incredibly - best of luck to you!

Thanks. I guess I just want it so bad that I don't even consider breaking the rules. I'm visiting my Mom right now and she made crockpot stew last night with all the fixin's. Boy did it smell good. I didn't even taste it. I went right on and ate my steamed fish and veggie. Still got full and didn't feel guilty this morning.

Hi:

I never gave up coffee. I started drinking diet soda too at about 6 months postop. I usually stir it like crazy, or leave the cap off to make it nearly flat.

Life's too short to not start the day with a cup of coffee (alright, really 3 cups)!

Best wishes to you with your band.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Edited by Sue Magoo
forgot something....

Popcorn! Although not really breaking the rules because my band doctor says it is okay for me to have in moderation. I don't have it often, but sometimes it just hits the spot.

NOT Drinking with meals did take me a long time to master, and I continued ordering drinks at restaurants for a while out of habit. But finally it did become a habit. Sometimes if I just want a few sips before the meal comes I'll still order one and take it to go, but my husband is embarassed by that. (why? I paid for it, I'm taking it! lol)

Other than that, there are still some foods I eat that aren't great for me, but not really against the rules. I pay the price on the scale for those choices though.

I see quite a few say they drink soda, and I do miss it, but I was glad to break my addiction to it. I don't dare try it. It could stretch the pouch, and I'm just not willing to take that risk for something that offers zero nutrional value. I've heard if you let it sit out a bit, it's not as dangerous to the pouch, but I never liked it once it started going flat, so I'm not even going to bother.

I don't know if coffee is breaking a band rule. My surgeon allows coffee, which I drink every day!

I'm a vegetarian. So, I need certain nutrients that people normally get from eating animal Proteins. So, I do eat small quantities of nuts like pecans or walnuts. I've found that they are ok if broken into very small pieces.

last night I ate bread for the first time since surgery. I ate one slice of double-Fiber whole wheat bread. I made a BLT, using soy bacon, and raw spinach in place of lettuce for added nutrition. First bite almost got stuck. So, w/the rest I chewed, chewed, and over-chewed. The rest of the 1/2 sandwich filled me up. I'd been craving a sandwich for so long!

I also eat brown rice and some seeds like flax and such.

I am the only veg*n my surgeon has ever dealt with. So, he told me to be careful and use trial and error to find what works for me.

I never drink WITH my meals, but will drink right beforehand.

I was under the impression that we could eat anything in moderation. I dont eat bread, but if someone can, I think it is ok as long as you dont overdo it.

I use a straw every day.

I forgot that one. :wub: I have a built in straw in my Water bottle so I use it everyday!

I'm almost 3 months post surgery, but I still have problems remembering to take small bites, eat slowly, and chew thououghyl. This wasn't a problem until my 2nd fill, and I have paid the price when I don't. You'd think I would have learned after the first time something got stuck, but I seem to be slow on the uptake. It's definately a work in progress...

I had my first glass of wine at 3 weeks post op, when I started on solids. I usually have a glass of wine before eating several times a week, and sometimes, a second glass after eating. I also sometime take a tiny sip of liquid while eating, if what I'm having is dry - maybe 2-3 sips the entire meal. My surgeon says if I can handle it, its ok.

I follow my docs rules and am having a great experience. HOWEVER...I don't have to do without coffee or tea, I don't have to forgo popcorn. No food is "off limits". I am supposed to "not snack" and THAT I struggle with, I'll admit. But I'm getting better!

I don't drink with meals. Ever. I don't take longer than 30 minutes to eat. I chew really well about 99% of the time and am always reminded quite harshly when I forget. It HURTS! I didn't drink anything carbonated and now he says I can if it doesn't hurt. I never chewed gum and now he says I can if it doesn't hurt. I want this to work so I either do exactly as told or struggle to do as told (as in the snacks) to achieve my goals. I even went back to my behavioral therapist to help with the snacking. I'm not giving up and saying "oh that's just how I am"...I'm fighting tooth and nail. I want to be smaller and will do what it takes to make that happen.

I will say this though: if there is a rule I really kick at (like no caffeine) I ask WHY. If the reasoning is sound, I comply. If it's not, I explore more completely. Caffeine makes some people hungry so my doc's office bans it. It doesn't make me hungry, so he said I could have it. Instant compliance! :wub:

i break them all.

my dr provides guidelines 'not' hard fast cookie cutter rules, that the band is a one size fits all.

still afloat....

I try really hard to follow them all, though the drinking before meals is really hard (since I put drinks away during meals it's still such a habit I reach for it - luckily it's not there till after the 30 min. post). But I often forget to drink all day, so esp. if eating out I do drink Water before the meal.

I also eat "real" items rather than all no-fat low fat things (like cheese, etc.).

I concentrate on eating better overall, however, on the weekends I cut myself some slack. If we are going out with friends and get a pizza, I'm going to eat pizza. I just don't eat 1/2 a pie anymore!

I tried 2 sips of Coke one day out of my husband's can, and had the feeling of severe heartburn for 30 minutes - after that, no more soda for me! I broke the caffeine habit after 25-30 years and am glad.

I try and limit my sugar intake, but do indulge occasionally. I'm trying moderation - something I was never very good at.

Cheating? Well - if a snack here and there is going to be considered cheating, then I'm guilty. I just make way better food choices now than before and the weight is coming off just fine. My doc - he's great. He's interested in what works for me, and knows this is a lifetime of adjustment, not a diet. If a snack in mid-afternoon will allow me to make good food choices for dinner and keep me from the late night munchies, then he's all for it. Moderation and choices...