Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters in Their 20's

I'm 28. I am 5 feet 9/220 pounds -> want to get down to 140. I've only told a few close friends - not my family who all said I just needed more willpower. I had the lap band on 8/23/09 - a week ago. Today was the 1st day I could get out of bed and do some errands w/o feeling like I was going to faint from being tired. I'm really excited to get this journey started - I want to be able to lose enough weight to interview for the Air Force Officer program next year. This forum has been a huge help! It's nice to know everyone is so supportive and nice!

Edited by Mangofish

I'm 26 and was banded on June 18 of this year :frown:

Hey everybody I'm 27 from Phoenix, AZ and I had my surgery 8-24 so I'm just a few days into all of this. I guess I'm different from most of you by being a guy with the band. Good luck to everyone!

Hey everybody I'm 27 from Phoenix, AZ and I had my surgery 8-24 so I'm just a few days into all of this. I guess I'm different from most of you by being a guy with the band. Good luck to everyone!

Dr. Nirmul was my surgeon, too :frown:

I'm 26 and was banded on June 18 of this year :frown:

Hey I'm 27 (was 26 when I got banded) and also had surgery on june 18th of this year! How are you doing with your band??

Dr. Nirmul was my surgeon, too :frown:

Awesome! I have nothing but good things to say about him and everyone else at TR.

I was wondering if there were anyone bandsters in their 20's? What has been your experience thus far? Have you shared the news with most people? When was your surgery date? What has been some of your goals? etc...

This site is very resourceful but just looking for people around my age who have are going through this life change!

Hope you hear from you all soon!!! :frown:

Hi,

Im 24yrs, i have been banded 8 years next month. I tell people these days, i didnt at first because i experienced a lot of jealousy and lost a lot of what i thought were true friends because of it. Now i figure if they have a problem it's THEIR problem.

Life with the band is great, i now do things i could never dream of doing when i was obese and i have many true friends.

I love going out clubbing and drinking with friends and the band hasn't ever stopped me being able to get a lil um...tipsy with friends lol.

My goals were to get healthy and be happy in my own skin. It did take a while but i got there, it is a huge emotional change and thats something you just can't prepare for.

Hope i have helped, pm me if you would like to chat more :-)

Bel

Hey I'm 27 (was 26 when I got banded) and also had surgery on june 18th of this year! How are you doing with your band??

Congratulations. June 18 was a good day this year :frown:

I'm doing pretty well with my band. My surgeon has a very conservative fill policy: 1cc by 1cc by 1cc. Despite the fact that I've had three fills, I only have 3ccs in my 10cc band. I completely understand his reasoning, but when I come to places like this and see that people who were banded around the same time we were have good restriction already, I get kind of discouraged.

Still. I've lost almost 25 pounds in right at three months (since I started my pre-op diet). That's definitely nothing to be ashamed of!

How are things going for you?

Awesome! I have nothing but good things to say about him and everyone else at TR.

Dr. N is great! My port's really mobile and likes to run away from the fill needle, so he's had to do my last two fills.

Congratulations. June 18 was a good day this year :frown:

I'm doing pretty well with my band. My surgeon has a very conservative fill policy: 1cc by 1cc by 1cc. Despite the fact that I've had three fills, I only have 3ccs in my 10cc band. I completely understand his reasoning, but when I come to places like this and see that people who were banded around the same time we were have good restriction already, I get kind of discouraged.

Still. I've lost almost 25 pounds in right at three months (since I started my pre-op diet). That's definitely nothing to be ashamed of!

How are things going for you?

Congrats! June 18th was a really good day, I agree!! Glad to have a band buddy that is similar in age and also date!! How tall are you? I'm just under 5'3. My goal weight is around 130 pounds.

My doctor is not really conservative as far as fills I think but I didn't have any restriction after my first one (5cc's). I'm on my last day of liquids right now from my second fill this past Tuesday (2cc's for a total of 7 cc's) so I don't know if I'll have any restriction yet (my doctor always does 3 days of Clear Liquids and 2 days of full liquids after a fill), but Im REALLY hoping for some. I really would like some help with my Portion Control at this point. Also, I have the Realize Band C (which holds 12 ccs I think, maybe 13...I cant remember now!).

I started my preop diet in the very beginning of June (I had a 3 week preop diet, because my surgery was postponed for a few days) and since the beg. of my preop diet I've lost about 57 pounds.

Hey Everyone! I'm 27 and was banded on July 23, 2009. A little bit of shoulder discomfort but I had a pretty easy time post op. I have lost 26 pounds so far (including my pre op diet). I am getting my first fill this coming Friday - 4cc. I'm really excited because right now I can eat WHATEVER I want. I am working out everyday - so far, so good.

Hey guys...I was banded Aug 25th so I am only 1 week post-op. I felt discomfort only for the first three days. My surgery was on tues and I was back to work on Fri. Burping was horrible for the firt couple of days, tit felt like I had a brick sitting on my chest. Most of the gas was gone by the end of the weekend. I am not feeling any pain at the incision sites except fot he occasional side twist. I did have an episode on sat night, I was feeling a lot of cramping in my ribs after shopping all day and it did hurt to breath. I was fine after sitting for a couple of minutes. My appetite has been surpressed a little. I don't get hungry as often and when I do a simple ice pop or crystal lite will get rid of it. However, I am having trouble sipping all day. I am not a drinker at work or home so I am not getting in as muh fluids as I should. I also am not drinking my Protein Shakes as I should be, again it is all because I do not have the hunger urge. I haven't weighed myself yet. My first pre-op appointment has to be rescheduled for next week so I will find out my exact weight then. All in all, I think I made a good decison to have this done. It's almost like nothing happened at all, I feel like myself 100%. I shared my story with almost everyone, I wanted them to be able to say that they know somone who has had the surgery and is doing well. To hide it would imply that I am embarassed, which I am not. My next feat is the puree diet, I have no idea what I am going to eat for those two weeks. Any suggestions??????:frown: