Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters in Their 20's

Im 27, I had my surgery in 4/2006, I was 220lbs (I'm 5"2), and i'm currently about 145lbs. My goal weight is 115 to 120lbs. It probably would have been their, but I had a pretty busy schedule and goin to the gym was not a high priority, I'm hoping to reach goal by the end of this year. I only tell close friends and certain family members....its not peoples business.

Hi Everyone!!

I'm new to this site but am very excited to get to know others who are banded or have yet had surgery. I'm 20 and my surgery date is 9/8/09. I've completed all of my pre-op tests, now I'm just playing the waiting game. I'm nervous but extremely excited lol. Not much to say for right now besides the fact that I'm anxiously waiting and can't wait to post updates on my success :)

Hey I'm cari I'm 22 yo. I was banded 5/2009 I have lost 15lbs. My goal forthis month is to start going to the gym. My husband was banded 03/2007 and has lost 90 lbs

Hi! I am now 28 but was banded at the age of 27. My surgery was March 31, 2008 and my weight was 282. I saw my surgeon today and weighed in at 130 lbs. Post op was not too bad for me. I took it easy for about a week. The most uncomfortable part for me was the gas pains following the few days post op.

I never just made an announcement that I had the band, but my close family and friends knew. After a few months, I became more comfortable discussing it in the open and now I can discuss it with anyone.

I did not have any problems with my band until this year. I now have a concentric dilatation. I actually had a barium swallow performed today. But I had a pretty smooth experience until approximately January of this year. I would still do it all over again.

Good luck with your surgery! It's so exciting and life changing :)

Hi Hillmama -

I was just wondering what a concentric dilation is? Do you know what leads to it or how it can be prevented? Also, what do you have to do now for it? Does it require another surgery or do you need to have your band removed?

We are almost the same as far as stats - I started at 286 and my goal is 130 (CONGRATS on reaching your goal!!). I have lost about 50 pounds since my preop diet in June and am hoping to reach my goal within a year from now or so (although I'm not going to get crazy about it, because I truly want to change my lifestyle...not just be on another diet). But I do hope that by next summer I can be at least withing 15-20 pounds of my goal. We'll see. How did you do it so fast? Any tips?

Hi all, I'm 28 and was banded 10/03/08. I was 286 when banded and am 202 currently. I've had a great experience so far. A few minor bumps in the road but nothing major. I've been very open about my band so far. My 10 year hs reunion is in a few months though and not sure if I'm going to be open there...:thumbdown:

hey guys,

I am 23 and was banded on jan 12th, 2009. I am down 78 lbs and have not yet had a fill. I probably could be down a bit more weight, but I have slacked off here and there.

I pretty much eat whatever I want (just not nearly as much) and enjoy that I can go out and not feel left out when it comes to food.

No preop diet for me and I was insurance covered so that was a huge blessing! I'm not on the boards too much any more but feel free to email if you would like (mrsjesslarrew@gmail.com) or Facebook too Jessica Larrew. I don't really talk about the band on FB but u can private msg me :thumbdown:

Hello all,

I am newly 30 this week but feel i can still get into the 20's crowd lol...Anyhow I was banded like 6-7 months ago my weight before surgery was 367 and I am now 299. Doing well for the most part. Some quirky things here or there in terms of pain, getting stuck, sometimes overeating but for the most part good. My problem now is that I have lost some weight and my port sticks out alot. Over the last couple days i noticed I can move my port up and down and never was able to before. Has anyone noticed this before? I am somewhat nervous and went to my doc who i am not too sure i trust. He said its fine but I am a worrier.

i was banded on 8/6 and am 26. So far i've lst 30 but gained 5 when i got onto solid food again lol. I'm not freaking though it's a process :thumbup: I love my band and it fits into my social life just as long as we don't go eat Italian :crying: Keep it up everyone.

Hey everyone! I'm 22 and I was banded a little over a week ago on the 18th of August, 2009. I did not have to do any kind of pre-op diet. In 9 days I've lost 17lbs. The first week was rough but so far I don't have any regrets! I'm most looking forward to being able to shop in the "misses" clothing section instead of the "womens".

Hello! I'm 26 and I was banded on 08/17/09. I just went for my first post-op appointment and I've lost 24 lbs =)

I have not shared my surgery with a lot of people, mainly just my inner circle, but I really don't share a lot of my personal business with anyone...

As far as my goals, I went in weighing 294 pounds, on the verge of multiple long term complications, and I just want to get as far way from that as possible. I want to be healthy, I want to live with no regrets......

:w00t:

Hi! I am now 28 but was banded at the age of 27. My surgery was March 31, 2008 and my weight was 282. I saw my surgeon today and weighed in at 130 lbs. Post op was not too bad for me. I took it easy for about a week. The most uncomfortable part for me was the gas pains following the few days post op.

I never just made an announcement that I had the band, but my close family and friends knew. After a few months, I became more comfortable discussing it in the open and now I can discuss it with anyone.

I did not have any problems with my band until this year. I now have a concentric dilatation. I actually had a barium swallow performed today. But I had a pretty smooth experience until approximately January of this year. I would still do it all over again.

Good luck with your surgery! It's so exciting and life changing :w00t:

Congrats on all your weight loss!!! What's Concentric dilatation??

I got my band on June 1st, and I am 25!

HEY ALL... I just turned 21 years old.. and i was banded June 3, 2009... this process has been fairly easy.. the first 3 days i was in pain and EXTREMELY bloated.. but i was back to normal activity the next week.. ( although my parents wouldnt let me drive.. lol) Since surgery I am down 45lbs... i think i am doin fairly well.. feel free to add me :w00t:

oh yea and the only people that know about my band are my parents and brother..

I dont feel anyone else has the rite to know..

I just turned 29 this week so I guess I'm close to not being in this group anymore but I love reading everyone's posts because it seems like there is no one my age at my Dr's office. If they are, they are married and have children and since I'm not we don't have much in common.

I had my surgery in January (when I was 28). I did not have a pre-op diet other than the day before. I thought it odd, and tried to limit myself because I knew other Drs required it. I had a perfect recovery. Was sore a little, needed lots of extra Fiber that first week, LOL, but it's been good. I'm only down 35lbs but I've had trouble getting to my sweet spot with my fills. I was told some people are just slower losers. I actually work out four times a week minimum. I do cardio (50 minutes of aerobics) twice a week and weights and the bike or eliptical the other days. i also walk every day, cause my doggie likes that.

Good luck all you young folks! I know I am so happy to be taking control of this now while I still have so many years (God willing) to enjoy it.