Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which shakes are the best?

:confused:Ok, I know, newbie here, but I did a search for shakes and got so many topics without the title in them. One about fish lol.

So, I have to do a 2 week 5 shake a day plan before surgery. I love to chew, especially bread, so this might just kill me but I am going to try.

My nutritionist suggested Optifast800. She also suggested Trader Joes Brand which is alot cheaper but still outrageous.

I am thinking they are not stressing Protein numbers but calories but I am assuming (I know what that makes U and Me) that I should take in at least 100-140 gms per day.

I went ot GNC and saw some other brands but the nutrition panels had me questioning the health aspect of using these.

I mainly am concerned about sodium. Some of the shakes have sodium contents of 400 mg. I am supposed to avoid sodium but they are very high in most of the shakes.

Also, I am on a very fixed income, I spend about $60-75 a week on food for myself, my two sons and grandson. How am I supposed to do 2 weeks of shakes when they cost about $4-5 each and they want me to drink 5 a day. That is $175 a week, I can't afford to do that.

I wouldn't be as overweight as I am if I could afford $175 a week for food. I would have eaten alot more fresh veggies and less Pasta and potatoes.

I have a bigt container of whey Protein in the cabinet that my son who joined the Marines used before he went in. It hasn't expired yet so I might just try to use that.

Ok, I ramble...

What can I add to make the powder more tolerable? Which shakes are the best?

I am going to pick a few up each week so I have them when I need them. I start my pre-op diet on the 8th of Sept. for 2 weeks and then another week of liquids, then baby food for a week before I can eat somewhat normal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. Peggie

Actually if they didn't tell you a specific number, probably 60-70 g of Protein a day is plenty. (your body can't use much more than 20-25g at a pop, anyway)

Mixing whey Protein with skimmed milk is probably your cheapest way to go.

The ones I do are the ones recommended by my surgeon and locally they are $5 for 4 so that would price out out of using them as an option.

One of the shakes that I enjoy and that is fairly reasonable as far as cost is Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free. I find it's really yummy with 8 ounces of cold skim milk!

Hopeful, the Carnation Instant Breakfast does sound like it might work for me.

Do you mix any Protein Powder with the shake? I haven't seen the box, but on the website it says the shake with whole milk only has 12 gms of Protein. I don't want to use whole milk, I need to lower the calories.

The shakes my nutritionist recommended have 23-35 gms per drink and she wants me to have 5 a day for 2 weeks.

I definately will look into the Carnation Instant Breakfast though, it will be within my budget.

I thought I could add some of the whey protein to it and maybe a banana or some no cal flavoring too. I have to remember tomorrow to get on line and order those flavorings that I have read about either on this board or the other one I read.

If anyone has experience in this or other drinks let me know.

I taste tested plenty of Protein Drinks and my favorite is EAS advantEDGE shakes. They taste like nesquick, especially in strawberry and chocolate flavors. They come in four different flavors including a caffee latte flavor. They are around $7 for a four pack. I purchased them from Acme Supermarket. On average I am spending $40 a week on shakes, which isn't all that bad considering the amount I would be spending on solid foods. I also didn't mind the Atkins shakes in french vanilla. I have been on my liquid diet for 4 days now and so far so good. I was interested in the powder, but wasn't interested in making the drinks on my own. The EAS shakes have 150 calories and 17 grams of Protein which is acceptable. Look into them, you might actually like them.

I taste tested plenty of Protein drinks and my favorite is EAS advantEDGE shakes. They taste like nesquick, especially in strawberry and chocolate flavors. They come in four different flavors including a caffee latte flavor. They are around $7 for a four pack. I purchased them from Acme Supermarket. On average I am spending $40 a week on shakes, which isn't all that bad considering the amount I would be spending on solid foods. I also didn't mind the Atkins shakes in french vanilla. I have been on my liquid diet for 4 days now and so far so good. I was interested in the powder, but wasn't interested in making the drinks on my own. The EAS shakes have 150 calories and 17 grams of Protein which is acceptable. Look into them, you might actually like them.

I like the EAS Carb control AdvantEDGE ones too. They are the only shake I'll "eat". They're only $4.99 a 4-pack here in San Antonio, thank goodness!

The carnation instant breakfasts are good, but they aren't a great source of Protein themselves.

I prefer muscle milk light but it can be rather pricey.

I would suggest buying the generic brand "whey protein" powderfrom your grocery store, in comparison it's relatively cheap and the big canister of it will last a while. It won't taste as great as others, but just mix it with skim milk. powders are gonna be cheaper than the premixed ones. Also make sure you look for one that is high protein low carb.

My fav trick is vanilla protein powder, skim milk, and one of the crystal light (or generic) orange flavor packets...it tastes like a dreamsicle.

The carnation SF breakfast drinks is what was suggested to me as a diabetic.

Then the whey Protein for after surgery.

To flavor it, you can use the crystal light, or SF Jello powder!

However after surgery you might not want to introduce splenda into your system, it will break down REAL sugar much better! So you can use regular jello and drink mixes!

My surgeon gave me a good word of advise to start trying Protein Shakes now to see what I'll be able to stand for the weeks after surgery. Today I tried Muscle Milk vanilla and it wasn't bad at all. I think I'd enjoy it very chilled and with a straw (Two thumbs up). On the other hand I tried a tropical flavored Naked Protein Zone and it was the most horrifying thing I've put to my lips in a long time. The texture was essentially like when you're building a sand castle and you accidently add too much Water to the sand - when you tip the pail over it just squishes out from underneath. Besides it is high in calories (two thumbs down for the Naked drink).

I found MaxProtien at GNC is very tastey - chocolate and cookies'n'cream are my favorite. I use very little Water and crushed ice....then add a little Splenda and a teaspoon of instant coffee - I like the expresso. Makes a very

Frapachino(sp) kind of drink.

My surgeon gave me a good word of advise to start trying Protein Shakes now to see what I'll be able to stand for the weeks after surgery. Today I tried Muscle Milk Vanilla and it wasn't bad at all. I think I'd enjoy it very chilled and with a straw (Two thumbs up). On the other hand I tried a tropical flavored Naked Protein Zone and it was the most horrifying thing I've put to my lips in a long time. The texture was essentially like when you're building a sand castle and you accidently add too much Water to the sand - when you tip the pail over it just squishes out from underneath. Besides it is high in calories (two thumbs down for the Naked drink).

Just a head's up...many surgeons prefer you forgo the straws, at least for a while, because they can increase gas.

And one thing you DO not want to do when you are newly post op is make MORE gas!

Check with your doc to get his/her take on it.

Thanks GraciesMom for the tip on the free coupon.

And thanks to everyone for voicing their preferences. I'm glad I found this forum, I've learned so much in just a couple days.

I have been using Isopure creamy vanilla powder whey protien. I always blend it with ice and change the flavor by adding coffee, banana, any berries, yogurt or chocolate & skim milk. I haven't got tired of them yet and my husband & kids keep trying to drink them. I have to fight then off. This is way cheaper than the ready to drink cans & this big tub has lasted a month so far. Hope this helps. I am a nubie too. Stay focused.