Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I fell off the wagon and broke my neck!!!!

Please help!! I almost knocked my wife over as I ran to the store last night and polished off a QUART of ice cream. That's all I could think of, was that ice cream last night. I do not do this very often, but what causes this behavior?

Any help would be appreciated. HELP!!!

Everybody no matter how far they have come or where they are on their journey will have cravings. I cannot imagine going the rest of my life on this journey and never eating an ice cream or my favorite a few peanut M&Ms. It just wouldn't be human. I think it is very natural to do what you did and it is NOT the end of the world. Just climb right back on the wagon and get back into your routine. You are doing well and have lost almost half of your goal weight. Keep going and don't let this slip derail you. You are doing great!

Thanks so much for responding. Your reply makes sense and I will take it to heart. I had a good day before this happened too. It's almost like I sabotaged myself. In spite of all of learned, in spite of the surgery, I still can't get it into my hard head to eat the right foods. I think I will go ride my stationary bike!!

Something tells me it had to be chocolate ice cream!

Unfortunately for me Summer = Icecream!

Just don't beat yourself up over it. You are doing fine! :lol:

Spamoni!! LOL

I think we have all had little lapses in judgement and fallen off the wagon (okay....I know I have).

Isn't it funny how icecream doesn't get stuck? In my moments of weakness, I have told my husband that since I can't eat very much food, I think I am going to make it all icecream! I am kidding, OF COURSE :lol:

Get back on the wagon...you are doing GREAT!

I find that when I deprive myself of one particular food, the craving reaches the point where I go way overboard, i.e. eating a quart of ice cream. So what has helped me in the past is allowing myself a smaller amount of icecream, maybe 1/2 - 1 cup, every now and then to satisfy that craving. Then I don't get the urge to go hold the ice cream store hostage. :cool:

Good luck to you!

I'm so glad I found this thread today. I have been telling myself that I will not have ice cream or shakes, heeding the warnings of my surgeon's office. I'm not sure why, but today I started craving a chocolate shake. After sitting there thinking of nothing else for 30 minutes, I said "screw it, I'm having one". My consolation is that I made it with fat free ice cream and a little Peanut Butter (gotta get that protein!)

I felt guilty for about 10 minutes and then decided that there was no reason to - I didn't go overboard, it satisfied a craving and it was a treat, not an every day necessity.

jkend - don't beat yourself up. It is what it is - just ride an extra 20 minutes on your bike!

everybody goes off their diet. the point is to go right back on it. in the past whenever i would blow the diet i would just keep binging. now when i go off i enjoy the treat and then its over. i go back on my diet and there is no reason to feel guilty.

I've decided that I'm going to give myself a treat maybe every 2-3 weeks. And it'll probably be ice cream. This is so my head does not feel like I am depriving my body of anything. And then of course, it helps prevents those moments of overboard, binge eating. Maybe try something like that for yourself? Good luck and let your slip go. Tomorrow is a new day!

I will be totally honest and admit that I eat ice cream once a week. My family and I go to Coldstone Creamery, and my daughter and I split a "gotta have it" birthday cake remix w/o sprinkles. I don't like sprinkles! I can NOT have crunchy pieces of sugar messing with my ice cream experience!:) Ok, anyway, I eat the ice cream, but it isn't my dessert. I just eat it instead of a meal. Ideally not a good thing, but one day a week won't kill me, and since I eat it instead of a regular meal, I don't go over my caloric intake for the day.

My point is, don't worry about it and as long as you don't make a habit of eating a whole quart when you DO decide to have ice cream, you should be ok. Forgive yourself and move on.:cool:

i agree completely w/ unforgettable (and those who made same point)!

if i deny myself something inparticular, that is what i want the most, with the fiercest craving. but if i allow myself a little of whatever it is i am craving, ice cream, chocolate, chips, i am good. good, and happy, and content with a small portion. it has made things so much easier! i dont beat myself up for going overboard and eating a whole entire candy bar instead of a fun size, or whatever it may be.

best thing i did for myself was that.

good luck!

I will be totally honest and admit that I eat ice cream once a week. My family and I go to Coldstone Creamery, and my daughter and I split a "gotta have it" birthday cake remix w/o sprinkles. I don't like sprinkles! I can NOT have crunchy pieces of sugar messing with my ice cream experience!:) Ok, anyway, I eat the ice cream, but it isn't my dessert. I just eat it instead of a meal. Ideally not a good thing, but one day a week won't kill me, and since I eat it instead of a regular meal, I don't go over my caloric intake for the day.

My point is, don't worry about it and as long as you don't make a habit of eating a whole quart when you DO decide to have ice cream, you should be ok. Forgive yourself and move on.:blink:

Ice cream for dinner! I love it!:thumbup:

I make ice cream from my Protein shake. Found great recipes at theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. Tonight I had mint chocolate - yumm!

Even after you have been banded for a long time and feel that you are a veteran at living the banded life, it still happens. For me it is a matter if I let a craving go on too long until it goes out of control. These tendencies may never dissapear for most of us.

That is why I don't deny myself but allow myself to indulge intelligently. For me, a sugar free fudgesicle can satisfy the start of a craving instead of waiting another day and eating a quart of Ben & Jerry's.

How many of us started with the behavior where you start an extreme diet, deny all cravings and then blow the whole thing by not only indulging but super-indulging which more than offsets the extreme diet? Getting away from this behavior really facilitated the majority of my weight loss. I don't diet now, just eat intelligently 95% of the time and I am maintaining a good weight.