Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

When you eat mostly Protein, the cravings for sweets for the most part go away.

I do a lot of different things for protein. I use ground turkey because it's lower in fat, and cook it with taco spices and make taco salad. I buy the chicken breast in a package because it's already cooked and moist. I think the brand is hormel. I put mix that in with spinach leaves and use Walmart

fat free dressing that's 10 calories for two tablespoons. Sometimes I buy the South Beach frozen meal that's chicken with some sort of spaghetti sauce over it with broccoli. It's really good. sometimes I buy lean lunch meat and roll it up with low fat cream cheese in the middle.

There is a recipe section somewhere on this board.

Hi there! I came across this 'Slow Loser' thread and would love to 'join' your group. I am not a fast loser by any means and just being able to relate to others like me is fantastic. I had my surgery on May 3, 2007. The first 15 lbs came off fairly fast--then slowed way down. I know from past experience that my weight loss will be slow from here on out but I paid 20,000.00 to get this band and I am determined to make it work for me. Knowing that others are slow losers--(even with diet and exercise) is a real encouragement.....I am so glad I 'found' you!:clap2:

Hi there! I came across this 'Slow Loser' thread and would love to 'join' your group. I am not a fast loser by any means and just being able to relate to others like me is fantastic. I had my surgery on May 3, 2007. The first 15 lbs came off fairly fast--then slowed way down. I know from past experience that my weight loss will be slow from here on out but I paid 20,000.00 to get this band and I am determined to make it work for me. Knowing that others are slow losers--(even with diet and exercise) is a real encouragement.....I am so glad

I 'found' you!:clap2:

Welcome so glad you found us. We love to hear from all. You will get the encouragement you need right here. Again welcome.

Ok, I think I meet the requirements for this thread. I was banded on 5/16/07. I had lost 11 lbs on my pre-op diet, then 13 more the first couple of weeks post-op. Then it just stopped. I actually regained about 6 lbs, but it eventually came back off. Now I'm stuck right back where I was. So I haven't had a net loss for about 6 weeks. I've had 2 fills and have good restriction. I do still get hungry at night, but I'm still eating about 70% less than I was pre-op, both in volume and calories. My carb intake is very low and fat intake is lowered proportionate to my caloric intake. I was in the gym on the treadmill 4 days post-op, and have only recently stopped going because I'm so frustrated.

So now I have two questions: 1. Do I make the cut for this thread? 2. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

What kind of protien do you eat to calm down. Just wondering if cheese, turkey or just what?

I like to have: string cheese on hand to calm the craving. Other times I prepare a small cheese quesadilla, seems that cheese is the one for me. However I like to freeze yougurt and eat that, but I CAN NOT have any frozen popsicles or ice cream bars in the freezer because I would eat them all in one nite, I am out of control when I know I have them.

I too am a slow loser. Banded 3/30/07 and have lost 15# since surgery, 35 over the past year. I've got 1 fill....the 2nd should be next week (if they don't postpone things again!) I know having the right restriction should help, but it's so frustrating when the Dr. office has to reschedule things. I can tell I'm fighting to keep my calories lower.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fact I'm 35 less (NSVs & back to my wedding size feel GREAT) but I didn't get this thing to let it just sit inside my body. I want to be able to use the tool properly! Over the past year I've really made changes with my eating and now it's mostly quantity that's still the problem. (Thus my reasons for even getting a band...)

It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one feeling unmotivated. My hubby is very supportive, but having folks dealing with this same issue means a lot.

Thanks all for sharing and allowing me to vent.

Annette ;)

I went to the dr. today and he said I was doing very well because I lost 5 lbs in the last 6 weeks. That does not make me happy. It seems crazy to me that I lost 22 lbs the first 4 weeks on the liquid diet and 20 lbs in the next 5 months. If I was not following the rules, that would be different. I had the resting metabolic test taken, and he said he has never seen a slower metabolism than mine. That was not the least bit encouraging.

I went to the dr. today and he said I was doing very well because I lost 5 lbs in the last 6 weeks. That does not make me happy. It seems crazy to me that I lost 22 lbs the first 4 weeks on the liquid diet and 20 lbs in the next 5 months. If I was not following the rules, that would be different. I had the resting metabolic test taken, and he said he has never seen a slower metabolism than mine. That was not the least bit encouraging.

I'd be surprised if my metabolic rate isn't lower....sheesh, what a pain. Still, I try to remember that I've not gained ANY back....so, level or downward...it's at least better than heading up. :)

do u guys go to any support groups. I am feeling so down! I don't feel like I'm losing anything since my fill on June 20. Why do I feel this surgery and me are failing??? There is a support group meeting tonight through my doctors office. I am sitting here debating on wether not I should go or not. Hurry, tell me your thoughts! (Please ;) )

Nursinggal, I would definitely go if I were you. You are not alone as a slow loser. Trust yourself and continue on your journey.

thanks. I am going now!

do u guys go to any support groups. I am feeling so down! I don't feel like I'm losing anything since my fill on June 20. Why do I feel this surgery and me are failing??? There is a support group meeting tonight through my doctors office. I am sitting here debating on wether not I should go or not. Hurry, tell me your thoughts! (Please :) )

I go to the monthly support meetings and that helps, but still....we mostly a few newbies that have the band...most old-timers are RNY. Our numbers are growing, but I find a lot of support and encouragement on this board. I did go to Curves this afternoon ;) .....since I'm back from vacation and would like to have a routine before school starts again. Maybe that will kick start my metabolism, who knows? You know the old saying...

"Tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on for the ride, it could get a little bumpy!"

:gluck:

I do go to a monthly meeting and I get mixed feeling most people in my group who had surgery around me have lost like 54 lbs and then i get the well everybody loses differently I don't think 9 to 10 lbs is something to brag about if I wanted this kinda weight loss I would have stuck with weight watchers.I hear so many people on weight watchers and other diets losr more than me .. talk about being embaressed ..

I am very down and I try to keep my spirts up but if i hear one more person tell me to be patient or everyone loses differently I may go postal on them LOL:eek:

I want answers why .. or of hope

be wel all

Lisa

Hi-I was also banded on 2/28/07 and am finally down 19.9...just had my 4th fill last Thursday-I now have 8cc in 10cc band...I almost think I am too tight right now, everything solid is a struggle....but I hesitate to get unfilled, I've lost 5 lbs in 3wek...my doc won't be in for fills until Tuesday-I guess I'll tough it out til then and decide....hang in there....

Lisa butterfly, do you think it has to do with age that we are slow losers. I know when I was younger I lost much faster. I also moved faster. How does going thru Menopause affect weight loss.

Just wondering. Would love to have the answers for you, but I don't.

I will not tell you to hang in there, I not really to met my maker just yet. HA HA.

Carol