Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I started Curves April 1, I haven't lost even an ounce! But I have lost one pants size! So I am feeling really good.

*sigh*

Thanks for asking Sarah, I've been a terrible spokes model lately. My mother didn't die during her massive cancer surgery, I'm still close with a cure for my Cushing's, my husband loves me and my sister is speaking to me again. On the down side, I'm within 15 pounds of my surgery day weight.

I don't know if I qualify for the slow losers but I sure feel like it. I was banded March 23, 2006. I lost 13 lbs the first 2 weeks, got a fill at 6 weeks and have only lost 2 pounds since the initial 13. Any suggestions on how to get the weight coming off again??

Thanks

Melinda

Angeleyes; starting a new exersize program can be insanely frustrating, because you don't lose weight at the start (usually). My dad tells me you need too look at it in cycles of THREE MONTHS to see how well you are doing. Who wants to wait that long ?!?! At least you are seeing the difference in your body!!

Crystal,

I'm so glad to hear your mom came through okay, and I'm glad that you can be home now with your family instead of at school by yourself. When you said you were thinking about taking a leave from school I thought it was a really good idea. I honestly think that if I were to find out I had a brain tumor, I would shut down for a week and not be able to speak or something. Have they decided how they are going to face that? Whatever they do, I'm sure that it has to be a very large part in the equation for your weight loss.... as for being back up towards your surgery weight... the silver lining is that you are still off your asthma meds right? *hugs*

Melinda, generally the 'club' is for folks who've lost less than 50 lbs in the first year of banding, and it's kind of hard to tell where you'll end up this early out. Have you considered getting another fill? Do you count your calorie? If so, how many are you getting in? If not, maybe you should log your food for a day or two? It's a real eye opener sometimes. And of course... dun dun dun... exersize... >.<

Hi,

I want to join this group. I was banded Oct. 25, 2005. I have lost 36 pounds. I think I am a slow loser, getting smaller and losing inches, pounds going very slow.

How to I get involved. Thanks.

Barbara

I'd like to 'join' too! As you can see from my tickerfactory signautre i am definitely a slow loser = i'm losing more like 1lb a month - maddening. Thanks to all for this thread as it's nice to know i'm not alone. my bf keeps telling me - it's not a race, if you lose 25lbs a year, thats good. i know i know i just want it faster. i only exercsie 1-3 times a week so i know that hampers my progress so iknow its 'my fault' etc - it's just nice to know there are others out there.

hello, i too was banded on 3/23/2006, here in the seattle area. i too am a slow loser. i lost an initial 12lbs, then when i started eating, i gain 3lbs. i stayed at a 9lb weight loss until my first fill. ive had three total now and this last one may have been a smidgy too aggressive. i'll give it a the memorial day weekend to figure it out. im at 15lb loss. i know what my problem is though. i was diagnosed with hip bursitis about 2 weeks before my surgery date and could not do the physical therapy and the recovery at the same time. im now (we are now!) 2 months out and i can finally walk without limping, aching, popping excedrine, aleve, tylenol, and anything to alleviate the pain!! going to curves is in my immedidate horizon. i just wish i wasnt so damn lazy. i wish i was a morning person and just get it done. *ho hum*

Welcome all! WyldVelia, keep an eye on that scale. You're new out yet, and once you get proper restriction (not too loose, but not TOO TIGHT), you may be a rabbit yet!

:cake:

Hi Melinda

My first two weeks only lost 9 pounds, then went slow, 4 pounds, then in two months lost 10 pounds. I had my surgery 10/25/06. It certainly hasn't been easy for me. I know I am grazing, but I moved to a new place, and thought I would get to know my neighbors, well people are not that friendly. I really haven't even met anyone doing there laundry. Now, that the weather is warm, I find out my apartment which is on the six floor, the top of the building, and gets the sun most of the day, by 3 P.M. gets like an oven. So my new love nest, is giving me the sweats. I don't feel like doing anything when I am so hot. Today was not a good day, yesterday I had an upset stomach, I think my lap band did not like something I ate. Today I did not eat much at all, only some hot Cereal till 3 p.m. I was able to have some tuna for dinner. But, I am married 33 years and my new beautiful apartment (our love nest) has a minor heat and cold problem.... I will have to buy a curtain that keeps out the light, the aluminum blinds are too light. You can email me at librasings@yahoo.com Could use a Lap Band buddy, anyone out their in Brooklyn, NY. Feel free to email. Thanks.

Barbara

Hi! Congrats on the new "love nest" , right now I am very thankful that our place is air conditioned, 92 degrees today! I am really frustrated right now, I have gained 3 pounds in 2 days and I feel like I want to eat all the time. I don't go in for my 2nd fill until June 21st, hopefully this feeling will go away soon, otherwise I'll eat my way back up to where I started from.

Melinda

Hi Melinda,

Why are you overeating, I know why I graze, and I am working so hard. When I feel I am losing control, I do self hypnosis. I have a really good tape, in fact two, so when I need so extra support, I use the tapes. I can recommend them. Once is subliminal as well, so you can listen anytime to that side of the tape. For me these really have made a big difference.

I bought it from Amazon.com it is called Slim Forever. It is not about eating but about changing your mindset, to do what you need to do and not sabatoge yourself. This is the part I really like, that it mentions all the positives and says forgive yourself and move forward. I am home today, Memorial Day, my husband is working. If you need to chat I have a group which I founded three years ago. There is a chat room at my group. We could meet their and chat, it is very private.

My group is http://groups.msn.com/CaringforElderlyFamilyMembers I will invite you to join if you want. This group deals with issues of aging and assisting and caring for aging parents or family members. I have 230 members and the group has been a big success. I am looking for an assistant manager who wants to be part of making a difference in the quality of life of others especially the elderly.

I have worked as a director of a Senior Crime Victim Assistance Program for several years, and even though the funding for the program was stopped, I think of myself as a senior advocate. Plus all my parents and inlaw are 83 - 94. So I qualify.

Try to have a good day, I know helping you will help me as well.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

I think the reason I am overeating is because I am at home the last couple of days. I tend to get stressed if I'm home for long periods of time with my husband and kids. It's also so hot outside the last 2 days that I can't take my baby outside to do anything. I know that's just an excuse and I should be more careful with what I'm eating but I'm having a really hard time getting back to that mind set.

I think that's great what you do, I built a house right next to my grandfather so I would be there to take care of him. I think I'm the only one in my family that would be able to deal with him. He's kind of stubborn!!

I will check out the tapes you suggested, thanks!

Melinda

Hi Melinda

I know being home can be hard. I was hurt at work, three years ago, it has been very hard for me lately. I lost my job because I was injured, and thank god I am not in any serious pain, but my problems with my neck and shoulders, carpal tunnel in both hands and neuropathy I am not as mobile as I used to be. I was able to go on SSD, but I never did not work for so long. That is what prompted me to start the group. It has been one of the most rewarding things I have accomplished. I also have a website www.coalitionforseniorsafety.org I will invite you to join the group, you should look around, you don't have to be active, but since you are assisting with the care of your grandfather, you never know.

So not working, most of my acquaintances are on the internet, and I am really miss personal contact. I have a great son, he is 30 and does not live at home, my husband is great and his hours are 1:30 P.M. to 9:30P.M. I am used to his scedule, he gets three days of then two. Works 5 of 3 works 5 off 2. So we get to spend quality time. But, since he works night we can't go out as a couple. My girlfriends all moved and some passed away. At 57 its hard to replace life long friends or family. See I can complain too. So I know how hard it is not to focus on food. I gave you my email address, here is the one I use on msn. bbhcando@msn.com You can email me their if you like. And it has been nice chatting.

Barbara

Being home is definitely hard - I always tend to eat more then when I am busy either in the house or at work, etc. I'm just writing because I'm finally seeing the scale move down and I'm so happy. I'm definitely a member of the slow losers club but now I can feel it (the weight loss) and even tho no one has noticed yet, I'm hopeful someone will soon. I've been really trying to watch what I eat and make the best choices and I'll say it again, someone mentioned trying to eat as little as possible to feel satisfied rather than eating as much as my band will allow and that's really worked for me. Tonight we ate at the most awesome restaurant and I brought half my dinner home and it was the very first time I stopped without feeling deprived or bad about leaving food. i felt really good about that. it's been about 6 months since I've gotten this band and I'm really starting to appreciate the help its given me but most of all I'm kinda proud of myself for the work I've put into it.