Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Mary,

I don't even know if I'm using this right! Just got another fill Thursday 28 am up to 8cc. I am really tight and it feels strange but I'm hoping I've found tha sweet spot.

Hang in there honey! We will get it done!

MKPurselley

Hey all- I was banded November 2004 - that's a year and a half- at one point I had lost 60 (8 months out) but I had some issues and gained 20 back- so its 40 total. I have really been down and out about it, but reading some of these posts make me remember why I chose the band- slow and steady FINISHES the race :-)

Hey I feel like I qualify for this club. I was banded in June of 05. I have lost 50 pounds. The first 35 came withing the first three months because I was on liquids for 6 weeks. I have lost 5 pounds since about october. I went to the doctor about a month ago and we jointly decided to wait another month for another fill since i still occasionally pb and i often feel restriction (at least once a day). Also we decided to wait because I had lost like 4 pounds due to a stomach virus the weekend before I went to the doctor. Of course I have gained that back.

I also got a surprise when the doctor said "well you have lost 50% of your weight so you might lose another 10 pounds since the lap band lets you lose about 60% of your goal weight" Well i didn't come here to lost only 60% of my goal weight!

So what do you say, can i join this illustrious club?

I had my surgery on Dec. 29, 2005, so I am about 4 months out and I am have had 3 fills but to date have not lost ANYTHING. I am getting so discouraged. I try to follow the rules and eat high Protein, drink lots of Water, small meals, etc. I am having no success. Everyone tells me to be patient but I think I have been. It is far enough in that I should be seeing something? I do feel restriction, and have pain in my chest if I eat to quickly or wrong thing. I eat soooo much less than I used to but no results when I get on the scale. What am I doing wrong?

I am ivarose and was banded on May 10, 2005. I thought this would be the answer to losing weight for the last time in my life. Boy what a mistake. I have not had a hard time but have had 3 fills and finally refused my last fill because I have lost only 17 pounds however I have lost 17 inches exercise regularly. I feel so much better physically-- my cholesterol is normal now-- first time in my life--lipid profile normal--my sugar is usually in control now which was not true before surgery. But--I want to lose weight. I want to keep this off and lose more I want to buy clother off the regular size racks. I am open to suggestions.

I am ivarose and was banded on May 10, 2005. I thought this would be the answer to losing weight for the last time in my life. Boy what a mistake. I have not had a hard time but have had 3 fills and finally refused my last fill because it was not helping me to lose and I spit up all the time. I have lost only 17 pounds-- however I have lost 17 inches and exercise regularly. I feel so much better physically-- my cholesterol is normal now-- first time in my life--lipid profile normal--my sugar is usually in control now which was not true before surgery. But--I want to lose weight. I want to keep this off and lose more I want to buy clotheing off the regular size racks. I am open to suggestions.

I know I've been scarce lately, but I'm starting to get really depressed about this whole weight loss/surgery thing. Since my last post, I've gained and lost the same three pounds several times. Still at 16 lbs after 6 1/2 months. I know I need another fill, but I've only had my new job a month and I can't take time off work...we won't even get into the fact that I'm self-pay from here on out. I'm not really looking for sympathy, I just wanted to keep in touch and let ya'll to know what's going on.

Hey all- I was banded November 2004 - that's a year and a half- at one point I had lost 60 (8 months out) but I had some issues and gained 20 back- so its 40 total. I have really been down and out about it, but reading some of these posts make me remember why I chose the band- slow and steady FINISHES the race :-)

I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better about the whole band process. I've gotten pretty down about it myself at times. I lost 55 lbs from July of 04 to August of 05, and then nothing until last month. Eesh. It gets so frustrating at times!!

Hey I feel like I qualify for this club. I was banded in June of 05. I have lost 50 pounds. The first 35 came withing the first three months because I was on liquids for 6 weeks. I have lost 5 pounds since about october. I went to the doctor about a month ago and we jointly decided to wait another month for another fill since i still occasionally pb and i often feel restriction (at least once a day). Also we decided to wait because I had lost like 4 pounds due to a stomach virus the weekend before I went to the doctor. Of course I have gained that back.

I also got a surprise when the doctor said "well you have lost 50% of your weight so you might lose another 10 pounds since the lap band lets you lose about 60% of your goal weight" Well i didn't come here to lost only 60% of my goal weight!

So what do you say, can i join this illustrious club?

I don't like that doctors are 'fine' with 60%, and tell their patients not to expect any more than that. That 60% is an AVERAGE, which includes lots of people who lost 100% of their weight, and any people who haven't lost any weight, and everyone in between. I do think that as we get closer to goal, it will be harder to lose, but easier to maintain our weight with the help of the band, if that makes any sense. I'm sure that no one will have much of a problem for you to join the slow losers club. :D

I had my surgery on Dec. 29, 2005, so I am about 4 months out and I am have had 3 fills but to date have not lost ANYTHING. I am getting so discouraged. I try to follow the rules and eat high Protein, drink lots of Water, small meals, etc. I am having no success. Everyone tells me to be patient but I think I have been. It is far enough in that I should be seeing something? I do feel restriction, and have pain in my chest if I eat to quickly or wrong thing. I eat soooo much less than I used to but no results when I get on the scale. What am I doing wrong?

Well, to find out what's going on, I think we need more info! ;) Are you tracking your calories n' stuff? Have you started exersizing (I know, it's horrible)? How much are you eating, and what are you eating? What does your doctor say? *hugs* Also, if you are working very hard, and not losing, go to your doctor and start demanding answers. Find posts on this site by Vinesqueen. She has worked her band as hard as it can be worked, and has lost I think 15 lbs total since being banded (she was down to 30, but gained 15 on a ONE THOUSAND CALORIE DIET!!!). She has been diagnosed with cushings disease and is being run through a gamut of tests, to try and find out what she can do to take the pounds off.

I am ivarose and was banded on May 10, 2005. I thought this would be the answer to losing weight for the last time in my life. Boy what a mistake. I have not had a hard time but have had 3 fills and finally refused my last fill because I have lost only 17 pounds however I have lost 17 inches exercise regularly. I feel so much better physically-- my cholesterol is normal now-- first time in my life--lipid profile normal--my sugar is usually in control now which was not true before surgery. But--I want to lose weight. I want to keep this off and lose more I want to buy clother off the regular size racks. I am open to suggestions.

Well, feeling better and having your blood suger be in control is good, right?

What kinds of stuff are you eating? How many calories are you eating? And what does your doctor say? Like I said above, if you are following all the rules, your calorie levels are good, and you are exersizing, there has to be another part of the equation that isn't being addressed. Another thing to thing about is medications. Are you taking any medications that cause weight gain or anything? Is there an alternate medication you could be on? There are so many factors to weight loss sometimes, and it doesn't ALWAYS come down to calories in/calories out.

Kryssa,

I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. From August to April I lost ZERO pounds. It's so demoralizing. And it's so hard sometimes to hear about people who lost 60 lbs in 6 months, when I've lost 60 lbs in nearly 2 years.

It's also hard to know you need a fill and not be able to get it. And self pay is also hard. It's hard to look at a .3cc fill or unfill and say "Yup, I'm paying $250 (+/-) for that little bit right there". Does your new job have insurance? I didn't have insurance when I was banded, but I have it now, and I am going to try and get my next fill covered. My insurance policy has a 6 month 'pre exsisting condition' clause, but I'm past that, and according to the liturature, they'll cover the surgery if it is deemed medically necessary, so I'm thinking I can get them to pay for the fills.

*hugs*

Hi you guys.....I had become a slow loser but I felt like I should not come in but now I am losing and I wanted to share with you what I am doing.

Counting calories and stay around 1200 and try not to go above 2000.

Walking 3 miles a day!!!!!!

Water all day long!!

The walking is the answer, since added that I have been losing 3 to 4 pounds a week. Because I am so big I burn about 500 calories in the 1 hour.

Good Luck you guys, keep up the great work!

Sarah,

My new job has insurance, but it specifically and by name excludes any bariatric surgery "or the maintenance thereof". Glad I had the surgery before I changed jobs. I could probably swing the money (though not every 2-4 weeks like I was doing), but my biggest problem right now is I have to be at work during office hours. I have NO leave time. Oh well maybe next month.

I guess that I would qualify for this club too!! I had my surgery 9/7/05, the weight before the surgery was 312, the day before surgery 297, current weight 255...I have been in this rut lately and not too sure why...it's very fustrating!!! It's been 7 months and all I have lost is 42 pounds...I need to loose another 105 pounds...there is no way that I'll be able to loose that by this September!!!!! Any advice??? No I haven't been exercising and my eating habits aren't that great...can you guys help me??????????

I am down 46 and half pounds since being banded July 29, 2005. I just had an appointment with my surgeon on Friday (May 12) and I have lost about a pound a week since last seeing him in March. I will be honest I don't exercise and don't always make the best food choices. But I am happy with what I have lost so far. I am down two pant sizes! I keep active around the house, cleaning, mowing the grass, walking the dog, and everyday chores, plus work 10 hours a night. I plan to start walking again on a regular basis, if our weather ever straightens out!

I have to agree with maudeispam, I do have a lot more energy than I've had in a really long time...I have a 3 yrs old and a soon to be 2 yrs old and I can chase after then and not get so tired after it...that is one thing that I can agree. I know that this surgery was just a tool to help me, I guess I was just expecting more weight to come off than what has so far....I guess if I did improve my eating habits and exercise more than I should see more weight come off!! It's just very fustrating!!!