Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Hey Everybody!

I had a nice Valentine's Gift---a fill. My doctor had removed some of the fill last time because I kept throwing up my meats. In 6 weeks I gained 5lbs. I realize that isn't too bad, however, it is gain! Since the fill I have dropped 2lbs of the 5lbs. It may be from having to have liquids for 3days but I do definitely fill a restriction. My doctor told me to take my first 2 bites 2 minutes apart. He said not to even sit down for those bites. After the 2 the band will be lose enough for me to eat somewhat faster for the rest of the meal and not throw up. I am going to follow it dilligently because that throwing up is for the birds. Glad to hear from everyone on the post. Lets all keep our chins up and realize that we will all meet our goals. God Bless all of you. Karen

I believe this is exactly where I need to be...Banded May 6th 2005 and have lost 31# total.....It is certainly better then carrying that extra 31# around...Wish it would come off a little faster...I'm new to this site....Thanks Charlene

I was banded Sept 16, 2005, as of Sunday morning I've lost 35lbs. I've had 5 fills (3.5cc's now). What really bites is my husband had surgery Jan. 25, 2006 and as of right now he's lost 24lbs. I know what I need to be doing (ie, drinking Water and excersing regularly and making better choices of food)........ I feel like the first 30+ lbs came off with little help from me, so I'm determined to loose 30lbs (will put me under 200) by June 18th (leave for vacation)....... I pray that by me working with the band that it WILL happen!

Tigress - anyone who has lost 95 to 100 pounds with the band is not a slow loser!!

Wow - congratultions on your remarkable loss! That's wonderful.

All of us who post regularly to this thread are stuggling with less than a 50 pound loss.

(We're all very jealous of you!!) :welldone2:

Congrats again.

Dena -

Maybe my math is off, but you've been banded around 20 weeks now, right? And you've lost 35 pounds. That's EXACTLY where you're supposed to be, at 1-2 pounds lost per week.

Believe it or not, you're not a slow loser!!

Remember this - you've lost in 20 weeks what it took me 15 MONTHS to lose.

And don't compare yourself to your husband. That's just asking for trouble. Men always lose faster than women. They don't have estrogen holding on to their wight for them. It's not fair, but it's true.

Keep up the good work.

Hello- Please can I join you folks? I was banded 10/8/05 (Dr. Kuri, 11 mm "monster big" band) and have had 2 fills,last one right before Christmas @6.5 ml, yet I still am not restricted enough, and I am resisting the urge to go for another fill. I have lost 38 pounds which I am happy about but I lost most of it right after the surgery. 1-2 pounds a month since then seems very slow to me. But I know that slow is a good way to go, so I'm trying to be patient. The weight came on slow over the course of years, so at least its leaving faster than it arrived.

Question? Is anybody else dealing with mental hungries?? :hungry: I am ready to gnaw the legs off furniture, yet I am not physically hungry. Good to share with you ...let me know if I am in this group. Sincerely, Patty Bear

:nervous

Hi,

I had my lapband surgery 12/13/05 and found this chat group when trying to look around on the lapband web site. I have a hard time with keeping an eating schedule and I am sure that has contributed to my slow losing.

Let me introduce myself a little. (Overitnow5)

You can call me Kathie. I am 39 and 8/12th old!!! Yes, 40 is coming very quickly. As I said, my surgery was 12/13/05. I go for my first fill tomorrow (2/23/06). I have 5 kids and a very busy life so this has been a bit of a struggle for me (mostly the last couple of weeks). Love to have the support from those who lose slowly. So many people expect me to lose like the gastric by-pass, they don't understand that it is a much slower process.

Oh yeah!! I am definately a slow looser! It's been a year and I've not lost 50 lbs .... argh! Slow and steady I guess! Agravating too tho! I don't get to these boards to often ... so i am never sure if i do this right!

Gina (SoDakota)

Adj Lap-Band 02-17-05

374/ 339 / 290/ mini goal 289

(highest ever, pre-op, current, goal)

4/12 1st fill .3cc

5/12 2nd fill .5cc

7/7 3rd fill .8cc

9/8 4th fill .4 cc

10/18 5th fill .25cc

11/15 6th fill .2 cc

12/15 7th fill .2 cc

2/14 8th fill .2 cc

Total ... 2.85 cc

I have had my band since April of 2003 needed port repositioned from kinked tubing in August of 2003. My last fill was Oct 2004 at 4.4 cc my MD could not put anymore in under Fluro he sucks at this. Took a year off managed to loose 10 lb that year total of 58 lbs since Aug of 05. My new years goal to exersice 5 days a week. Since Jan 15th I do my treadclimber 30 min 5 days a week and burn 200 to 230 cal a session. I have not changed my eating patterns yet the 1st 5 weeks lost 5 lbs. Found a new MD 2 hr drive from my house that can access my port under fluro just fine. He checked my placement and did a barium swallow I saw the restriction on the video. MD did not want to put anymore in since I am at 4.4 in a 10 cm band max he will put in is 4.8 but worried about errosion. Since I had lost 5 lbs in 5 weeks doing my new exercise program he did not want to fill anymore and said wait intill I do not loose any more weight for a few weeks. That was Feb 14th. now today I get on the scale and gainied 3 lbs now at 195 instead of 192.Total loss 65 lbs, I know I am a slow loser but it makes me mad. My husband found a picture of me at 258 lbs prior to surger and say the band works . You will never be 258 again. He is right the year I took off no exercise and took 3 vacations 2 were cruises I lost 10 lbs. Why am I so hard on myself? Because I see people who lose the 100 lbs in less than a year and I am on my 3rd year with the band.:scared:

Thanks for reading my venting post:)

Annette

please count me in too. I really need help staying on track and not getting depressed, When I read of other's successes I feel like I must be one of the lap band failures. I think a slow losers club is a great idea.

ladyfox

Well, I hope that you all will except me into your slow losers club. I was banded on May 23, 2005. Prior to surgery I lost 8 lbs and then after surgery 21 lbs. I have been up and down the same 5 lbs since October. I just had another fill and I'm up to 3.5 ccs. I have very good restriction. I think I'm just about at my sweet spot. I was so upset about not losing anything that when I went in to see my surgeon for my last fill on Feb. 23rd that I started blubbering.:cry I've been keeping food logs faithfully since Jan 1st. For the six weeks b/w Jan 1 and my appt. on the 23rd of Feb. I was averaging b/w 1200-1700 cals a day w/an a day every other week or so where I went up to about 1900...that's because I allowed myself a treat. My doc didn't seem very upset with me. She told me that 1 out of 4 who have the band fail because their bodies just refuse to give up the wait. Not because they haven't tried. She said that she'll give me the fill, then see me in a month for another fill if need be. I'm to see my nutritionist just a few days before I see her again, at the end of this month. In the meantime I've restricted my cals to 900-1200 a day since last Thursday. And you know what? NOT ONE POUND HAS COME OFF!!! :think I am up and down with depression and frustration about all this. WHY?????? It's real good that you all are hear and I know I'm not unique and alone in this, but WHY? Why do we have such a hard time losing the weight? What did ever do that my body is so reluctant to let go of this blubber of mine? I don't exercise the way I should I guess. It should be more consistent. During the summer of last year, I exercised 6 days a week for as much as an hour a day on the elliptical and the treadmill. Then school started (I was a school bus driver...just quit, now and a hopeful writer/stay at home mom as of Monday) and I found that finding the time to exercise the way I wanted to just wasn't there during the week so I slacked off on that until I just wasn't exercising at all by the time October came around. Once Jan 1st came around I was determined to exercise again and I started off good...walking up to 5 miles a day. But then I hit this wall of frustration because I wasn't losing a single pound which led to rebellion I guess..I stopped exercising again. I guess I was feeling like, I exercised so hard and watch what I eat and eat very little and this is what I get for all my efforts? NOTHING!!! :yell: So, here I am again. Trying real hard but feeling like I'm the last one to the finish line, you know? I've tried to find someone to figure out what my resting metabolic rate is..the only place so far is this gym near Boston that says the only way they'll do that is if I were to join the gym. Uh, yeah,right...NOT!! Why would I do that when it's easily a 40 min drive one way?:censored: There are days when this whole effort is almost more than I can bear...like I don't have any more energy to deal with this and there are days like today where I feel like I have a fire lit under me and I am determined. So, I'm going to get on the exercise machines and start up my exercise routine so that I can prove that non of this is working to my nutritionist and my doctor and see what they have to say. So, what do you all think? Am I doing the right thing even though it seems so futile? How are you coping with all this? I am going to Myrtle Beach in August and I really would like to be down a few sizes...so I have a goal to reach but right now, it seems like I have to climb Mt. Everest to get to it. So, I would love a bit of tlc and wisdom and practical advice right now. Just a note...I think you all are awesome...I've read about 8 pages of the beginning of this thread...and knowing that I'm not alone is an inspiration and knowing that you all go on in spite of the lack of weight loss is a help. Thank you for starting this thread. :cheer2:

Cathy

263/255/234/155

so close, yet soooo far!

Cathy,

I'm about where you are; not exersizing much because I feel like it's not doing any good, so why bother. Vinequeen is the advocate for getting to a doctor to determine whether we have any metabolic issues that keep us from losing weight. I have not done this yet, but definately need to.

Ladyfox; how much have you lost and when were you banded?